OtakuBoards

new FFXI videos

Guest Voodookanaka

Guest Voodookanaka
[url]http://www.rpgplanet.com/ff9/ff11/movies.shtml[/url]
thought u might want to look, im gonna check em out now

[color=indigo]Well, none of those on the page you linked to worked for me... But I went and watched the newest trailer on GameSpot, and it's looking as cool as ever!

And yes, FFXI is completely online. There isn't going to be an offline mode. There isn't even an offline tutorial in the Japanese version, I heard.[/color]

Guest ProudClod
Ive seen the video in a demo and does look great, especially with that very medieval look.

It comes to a surprise to me that you can only play online. What happened to the traditional story line! oh well....but the thing that irritates me the most is the online play. The latest news tells me that you can only team up with other players to battle monsters, and not eachother, which is what I was looking forward to the most......and I have to pay a 7 pounds subscription, yeah right!

If I am wrong then p-l-e-a-s-e tell me otherwise, for I cant swallow this info myself!

Guest Voodookanaka
Ive just downloaded the top one, worked fine for me (there links to other webpages that have them) it looks extremely cool, i want to know more about this customising your character lark though.

Guest Voodookanaka
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ProudClod [/i]
[B]Ive seen the video in a demo and does look great, especially with that very medieval look.

It comes to a surprise to me that you can only play online. What happened to the traditional story line! oh well....but the thing that irritates me the most is the online play. The latest news tells me that you can only team up with other players to battle monsters, and not eachother, which is what I was looking forward to the most......and I have to pay a 7 pounds subscription, yeah right!

If I am wrong then p-l-e-a-s-e tell me otherwise, for I cant swallow this info myself! [/B][/QUOTE]

I was told that there are certain areas where u go to be able to fight other players, im looking for the webpage now.
And maybe ive misread your post but u dont have to be in a party to fight..

cool, i just want to design my character, 18 ppl in an allience, 18 ppl off otakuboards :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...your right :( i found out some other upsetting stuff :(

One other important point is that Square is emphasizing friendly play as a goal of FFXI, and the game is designed with that in mind. Aside from the trading mentioned earlier, one of the most notable features of FFXI is that there is absolutely no player-killing permitted; you can't even attack other players, much less kill them. While this may bother some people who like the challenge of fighting against other people, I at least find it a great relief, since I don't have to worry about watching my back for ultra-high-level PCs going after my level-5 character. (As a matter of fact, three out of six pages in the developers' notes were devoted to an explanation of why they decided to disallow player kills.) I suspect this also helps foster the "random passersby casting Cure" effect and the generally friendly atmosphere of the game, which is one of my favorite aspects of FFXI overall.
Nonetheless, there are a number of troublesome and frustrating facets to FFXI as well. Probably one of the biggest is the fact that you can't take your character to another "world" (server); you're locked into the server you start in, and if you want to play on another server you have to create a new character--and cough up the 100 yen per month for it. Compounding this is the fact that you can't select which server you want to play on, unless either you already have a character on the server or someone purchases a "world pass" (currently about 250 gil for up to 5 people, though the price goes up with the number of characters registered on the server) and lets you use it. As can be imagined, this can put a significant dent in your plans if you are planning to start FFXI with some friends and you all want to play on the same server.
Another major problem is the handling of experience points. Not only are experience points awarded based on the difference in levels between your character and the monster you're fighting--beating a monster at the same level as you, not an easy task, nets you 100 XP no matter what level you're on--experience points required for leveling up increase with level, so that it takes progressively more time to advance. Square claims that this is designed to encourage party play, but since XP in a party battle are calculated based on the player with the highest level, anyone even one level lower loses 20-30% of that XP, and the "XP bonus" for party play alluded to in the instruction book doesn't actually exist, party play is at best a break-even proposition for the highest-level player, and anyone with a lower level is actually worse off than if they played solo. In fact, just about everyone I've talked to in the game so far has commented on how pointless it is to play in parties; we can only hope Square will listen. (As a side note, the beta version _did_ have an XP bonus, didn't reduce XP until about 5 levels below the highest-level player, and was generally considered very well-tuned. Maybe the programmers released the wrong version of the program?)
All said, it's still hard to tell whether FFXI will succeed or not; a lot of that depends on how well Square can recover from FFXI's disastrous launch, and how well they listen to their players (which, if their actions so far are any indication, is "not very well"--their most recent server update failed to fix any major problems and also reduced several jobs' HP levels). Still, FFXI has the advantage that it can be upgraded as needed, without forcing the players to go out and buy a new copy of the game, and with work I think FFXI can do quite well--for an online game, at least. It won't be a substitute for classic RPGs, but those with time on their hands may want to keep an eye on this one.

[color=indigo]Combined the double-post. - Desbreko[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=indigo]Well, I think that if they were going to have player killing, they should have made it so you could choose whether you wanted to or not. If you choose no, you wouldn't be able to attack other players, and they wouldn't be able to attack you. If you choose yes, you'd only be able to attack other players that also chose yes... I think that's a pretty good way of doing it...

But, I don't really care, seeing as how I would choose no anyway, and also because I'll be playing as a white mage... And white mages can't fight...

I think I read somewhere that Square wants friendly interaction between players, though, or something like that, so that's why they didn't allow player killing.[/color]

Guest ProudClod
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Well, I think that if they were going to have player killing, they should have made it so you could choose whether you wanted to or not. If you choose no, you wouldn't be able to attack other players, and they wouldn't be able to attack you. If you choose yes, you'd only be able to attack other players that also chose yes... I think that's a pretty good way of doing it...
[color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess that this is a good idea, Id hate to [I]just[/I] come on and find myself going down already....hmm reminds me of counter strike. If this doesnt happen then I feel the need to get th Broadband/DSL modem.....

Games are too expensive these days!!

Guest Deranged Gerbil
guys, FFXI is not selling as well as square had hoped it would, they predicted at least 200 000 copies on release day, the game just managed to sell half of that, online play will never really be big in Japan if you ask me

[color=indigo]From what I've heard, online games aren't as big in Japan as in the US... I don't know if it's true, though, but it would explain why FFXI isn't off to a very good start... But anyway, I'm going to wait for the US release, to judge how well it's doing. By that time it will have been out for awhile in Japan, so we'll know whether it ended up doing good or bad, and we'll also get to see how well the release in the US goes.

From what I've heard about the actual gameplay, though, it sounds pretty good to me. I'm going to be deciding whether or not to buy it from the gameplay, not from how well it's selling.[/color]

Guest ProudClod
I guess that the gameplay over sales theory isnt going to work here Des......Think about it, FFXI is only online, if there are less people who have the game, then there are going to be less people on the game. What Im trying to say is that if you want to play FF online with other people around the world, then there should be lots of players for you to play the full experience.

I wouldnt say that this is worth buying if very few people get it, and the same for any other online game. Its best to look it up and see its status so far.

[color=indigo]Yes, I realize that, but there are going to be some people that buy it. I mean, even if it only sold about 10,000 copies, like in Japan, that's still quite a few people to interact with... That, and I'm going to be getting the PC version, which will come out after the PS2 version. So, I'll get to see how well it does here in the US before I buy it. If it barely sells at all, though, no I wouldn't buy it. You're right, though, there's no point to an online game if there are no other players.

But, that 10,000 was only the sales for the release day... That number has no doubt grown quite a bit since then...[/color]

whats really stupid is the fact that you are stuck on the same server unless you pay extra, what if people wanted to play with family and friends, they would not be able to unless they pay extra, and if your giving money to be online in the game anyway, why should we pay extra? square is going around this the wrong way....

[color=indigo]Yes, that is something I'm really not liking... I'm hoping that they'll realize this, and make it so you can at least choose which server you want to be on. That way you could make sure you and your friends are on the same server, by everyone choosing the same one. But, I've heard that you don't even get to choose which you start out on... Hopefully Square will make some changes before the US release...[/color]