OtakuBoards

A new Star Fox....

Charles

April 2003 in Japan will mark the return of the Star Fox series' to it's space shooter lineage. This game will be the result of Namco, Sega and Nintendo jointly developing the Triforce arcade board. I've also read that Namco will develop 14 games for the GameCube and GameBoy Advance, including Soul Calibur 2, Ridge Racer and Tales of Destiny.

In a surprising move though, the original team that worked on Star Fox 64 will not be a part of this new Star Fox title. Namco has instead, decided to utilize its Ace Combat team for this upcoming title.

First, gets behind the helm of the F-Zero series and now this. :toothy:

So, what does everyone think? Is this good or bad? I for one, am a little disappointed that none of the Star Fox 64 team is behind this one, but I'm sure that Namco can do the game justice.

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]April 2003 in Japan will mark the return of the Star Fox series' to it's space shooter lineage. This game will be the result of Namco, Sega and Nintendo jointly developing the Triforce arcade board. I've also read that Namco will develop 14 games for the GameCube and GameBoy Advance, including Soul Calibur 2, Ridge Racer and Tales of Destiny.

In a surprising move though, the original team that worked on Star Fox 64 will not be a part of this new Star Fox title. Namco has instead, decided to utilize its Ace Combat team for this upcoming title.

First, gets behind the helm of the F-Zero series and now this. :toothy:

So, what does everyone think? Is this good or bad? I for one, am a little disappointed that none of the Star Fox 64 team is behind this one, but I'm sure that Namco can do the game justice. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=teal]I am eagerly awaiting this game, though I do agree from what I have read here that it may be more disapointing than we all anticipated. First of all, I'm sure that the date of April '03 for Japan could mean anywhere from August or September, to early '04 for the US, as in over another whole year, which would deffinitly mean unsatisfaction among Star Fox lovers. I would not consider myself a part of them, but I do say that it would be exciting to finally see Triforce at work. Just the thought of Namco, Sega, and Nintendo working together in a game is astounding for me.

I definitely agree with you. With the N64 producer not at work here, it just may change the games concept for the worse, and lean it more towards a previous title than with what made Star Fox a hit in the past.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I mean to say, one year is a long time, short, but long enough to learn more about it before we go off and judge it how it is. There is, however, some confidence to be kept in Triforce, which could pull this off if anyone could.[/color]

:blah:

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Smoky Joe [/i]
[B]However, I wonder if Falco will be back... [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=teal]No Falco will not be returning, which makes a lot of us wonder, why did they put him in Melee if he was no longer going to exist GameCube-wise?[/color]

[color=royalblue]Well, I'm sure that the original Star Fox team will be involved on some level -- at the very least, Nintendo will be supervising development of the title. So I'm sure Nintendo will be watching for quality.

I'm very excited about the latest round of deals that Nintendo has been making with other companies, particularly Namco and Capcom.

By allowing Namco to develop this new game, that frees up Nintendo's internal resources significantly -- allowing the company to focus a lot more on totally new franchises.

So, we're getting the best of both worlds in a sense. Older franchises with newly updated instalments as well as totally new franchises from Nintendo itself.

I'm pleased to see this move on Nintendo's part. And it's definitely great to see Namco committing so much of its talent to GameCube (especially in relation to the other Namco titles mentioned).[/color]

[B]Well he is in Starfox adventures, (thats the name of it in the UK, don't know what it is in the US) so I suppose thats why he's in melee. Plus, he was in the original SSB.

I think it's a good move to let Namco work on the new Starfox game, but it took a lot of trial and error to produce a really good Ace Combat game, I hope they get it right first time around.

The team that worked on the original Starfox should have been allowed to have [i]some[/i] part in the new game, not completely dumped out. As they obviously did a good job on the N64 version of Starfox.[/B]

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Elite DBZ [/i]
[B][B]Well he is in Starfox adventures, (thats the name of it in the UK, don't know what it is in the US) so I suppose thats why he's in melee. Plus, he was in the original SSB.[/B] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=teal]I do agree that it was because he was in Star Fox Adventures that he was in Melee, but that was for N64, and even though it was a prequal to the GameCube, I do think he should have been in the new Star Fox game just to give them reason to put him in Melee. Yes, very confusing. Anyway, I don't know what you are talking about when you say he was in the first Super Smash Bros., because he wasn't. That is, unless you count him just for shooting people from his ship, which I for one cirtainly do not.[/color]

[color=indigo]Umm... wait a minute... When you say Star Fox Adventures, you're talking about Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet, that's going to be released this fall, right? From what I've heard, Falco isn't going to be in it... I heard something about Falco leaving to persuing a solo career, or something like that... I'm thinking Nintendo has something up their sleave. Possibly a game with Falco as the main character?

But yeah, Falco isn't a playable character in the original Super Smash Bros. Fox is, but not Falco.

Well, I can't really say I'm looking forward to the new Star Fox game being developed by Namco... I played Star Fox 64, and I didn't like it all that much, except for the Vs. Mode... I dunno, it was fun for a bit, but it seemed to get old really fast. I can't see myself buying this game, although one of my friends probably will. (I have a friend who's a master at Star Fox 64. He picked up the controller after not playing it for over a year, and got a medal on Corneria on his first try).[/color]

[color=royalblue]Given that the new Star Fox is being done by the Ace Combat team, I think it will be great.

As far as Falco goes...yeah, he's not in SFA. But he will probably make an appearance in the Namco Star Fox game.[/color]

Hmm..A new space shooter for Star Fox? Interesting, and I will buy it as long as they break the 'rail-shooter' formula.

Both Star Fox, and it's N64 version operated both on rails, where the player could only move the Arwing up and down, and left and right, but could not reverse or have free range of movement, with the exception of the "All Range Mode" in 64.

What i'd like to see is a Star Fox in peremenant "All Range Mode", but with larger areas to explore, and more enemies. Sort of like tru dogfighting. If you go in a staright line, you'll usually be dead.

Whoa...a Star Fox game made by the Ace Combat team. I'm excited already:excited: Yes, it would be nice for the series to end its 'rail-shooter' formula, and I would LOVE to see this go in full 3D. The action was pretty good with its 'rail-shooter' formula but it limited it as well. Just imagine how it would be with a more powerful system and in 3D:toothy: Little by little Nintendo is getting my attention.:smirk:

I agree with ZeroG214 and Majroa's Mask.

Being set on rails, the Nintendo64 version of Star Fox seemed too much of a cinematic experience. Although there were branching paths, one could see everything the game had to offer in a couple days if they moderately play the game.

Should the new Star Fox play somewhat like Rouge Leader, I'll be satisfied. Giving orders to your allies and having freedom of movement would be nice additions to the series' gameplay.

I just hope that the storyline is still up to par with the other Star Fox titles.

[color=indigo]Hmm, never thought of that... I suppose if the game is all set in All Range Mode, then I might buy it... That definitely would open up a lot of different things you could do with the levels, and dog fighting with the Star Wolf Team in Star Fox 64 was my favorite part in the game, so it'd be more like that throughout the whole game. That would be very fun, I really hope they make the game that way. I really didn't like only having the set flight corridors, because it was pretty much the same each time you played. That's the main reason why I never took much of an intrest in Star Fox 64, come to think of it.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ZeroG214 [/i]
[B]Whoa...a Star Fox game made by the Ace Combat team. I'm excited already:excited:[B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=darkblue]I agree, Ace Combat 2 was one of my favorite air combat/shooter games of all time. Another Star Fox shooter! That is the best new's I have heard since the new cell-shaded Legend of Zelda. It really sucks Falco won't be in there, you can see by my name that I really like him. Oh well, I can always take out my old 64 to see him. In other words, I simply can't wait for this game.[/COLOR]

:twitch: