OtakuBoards

Lord of the flies

Duo Maxwell

In society we've just been pretty much forced to watch Lord of the flies. Now I figure this was a good choice somewhat because we are studying law and rules, so it shows what could happen if we didn't have rules. I was really upset by what they did to "piggy" that was mean and i'm sure that if I wasn't at school i would have cried.
I was wondering how many of you have seen this movie or read the book.
Sadly I had to see the coloured version with the different ending to the book and the original so I'm really curious as to what happened in the end.

[color=red][b]We read the book and watched the movie. Afterwards we discussed naturalism and how it ties into the book and how the id, ego, and super ego ties into it. We saw the black and white version. I heard the color version had pretty bad language. at the end of the book a sailor comes and saves Ralph from being killed by Jack and his band of loyal savages. I personally laughed when Piggy died. As did everyone else. In the black and white version, he is really annoying. No one liked him. Even our english teacher chuckled a little. So, I liked the book and didn't like the movie. In the book you get a sense of a lot of time passing(ie. thier hair gets really long) but in the movie they look the same at the end as they did at the beginning. I had to do a project on what the Conch symbolizes and how it symbolizes it. Pretty easy stuff.[/b][/color]

[color=deeppink]I hated that story :sick:

I haven't actually seen the movie, but the book was enough to make me NEVER want to see it. Funny...you guys are probably a few years younger than I, and I didn't read that book until senior year. Something is really messed up about that...we should have been reading it earlier...o_O

Anyway, my AP teacher said that the book was an allegory for the beginning of time...something that I really didn't agree with. I don't know why I just said that, but it was a random factoid :p

Overall, I hated the conecpt of 12 year old boys running around like Neanderthals and wanting to kill wild boars and kill each other. Bahhhh...those stupid little British school boys >_<

We held a discussion in our AP class about whether or not the violence would have happened had their been females in the story. The answer was obvious...everything would have turned out a hell of a lot better than it did with the boys :p

Lastly, I never really understood the government aspect of the novel...perhaps some day when I have the strength to think about it again...then I'll look into it :)[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]I hated that story :sick:

I haven't actually seen the movie, but the book was enough to make me NEVER want to see it. Funny...you guys are probably a few years younger than I, and I didn't read that book until senior year. Something is really messed up about that...we should have been reading it earlier...o_O

Anyway, my AP teacher said that the book was an allegory for the beginning of time...something that I really didn't agree with. I don't know why I just said that, but it was a random factoid :p

Overall, I hated the conecpt of 12 year old boys running around like Neanderthals and wanting to kill wild boars and kill each other. Bahhhh...those stupid little British school boys >_<

We held a discussion in our AP class about whether or not the violence would have happened had their been females in the story. The answer was obvious...everything would have turned out a hell of a lot better than it did with the boys :p

Lastly, I never really understood the government aspect of the novel...perhaps some day when I have the strength to think about it again...then I'll look into it :)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red][b]All we talked about was the government aspect. I don't see how your teacher could think it's an allegory for the beginning of time. But it does have a lot of government tie-ins.[/b][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Son Goten [/i]
[B][color=red][b]I heard the color version had pretty bad language. at the end of the book a sailor comes and saves Ralph from being killed by Jack and his band of loyal savages. I personally laughed when Piggy died. As did everyone else. In the black and white version, he is really annoying. No one liked him. [/b][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah in the coloured version Ralph is saved by soldiers, as he's running away from Jack and the other ferrals. When he reaches the beach he falls over in the sand and looks up when he see's boots and the guy asks what he's doing then Jack and the others come up behind him and see the soldiers and look pretty guilty.
One thing i don't get is why my friends think ralph started the fire, he couldn't have Jack had piggy's glasses.
I felt sorry for Piggy, because he's the typical stereotype to be bullied and he was honest and had a good sence of moral.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Duo Maxwell [/i]
[B]I felt sorry for Piggy, because he's the typical stereotype to be bullied and he was honest and had a good sence of moral. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I just remembered the only part of the book that I liked!

Piggy was always saying how he couldn't do things because of his asthma and the other boys would laugh at him and say, [b]"Hah, sucks to your a[i][/i]ss-mar!"[/b]

Hehe, it still cracks me up to hear that...I think for a few weeks, during and after reading the book, I said that line a lot. Even one of my friends started saying it...it was funny :D[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B]

[color=deeppink][b]"Hah, sucks to your a[i][/i]ss-mar!"[/b]

Hehe, it still cracks me up to hear that...I think for a few weeks, during and after reading the book, I said that line a lot. Even one of my friends started saying it...it was funny :D[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red][b]lol. I still say it. a[i][/i]ss-mar. lol.[/b][/color]

[color=crimson][size=1]I've never read it, but I've had it recommended to me. And people who usually read it on their free time like it better than when you are forced to read it at school. When you are forced to read novels at school, you HAVE to read them, then you HAVE to make sure you comprehend everything, and you HAVE a deadline. That's why pleasure reading is so pleasurable and that's why summer reading assignments sucks major you know what...Especially when you have to read "Miracle at Philadelphia" about the Constitutional Convention and your VERY HARD teacher suggests you take notes...*dies*[/color][/size]