OtakuBoards

WaveBird Wireless Controller

Desbreko

[color=indigo]I went out today and got a WaveBird, and it's awsome! It feels just like a regular controller, except without the cord (obviously, lol). It's even the same weight, including the two AA batteries! It works perfectly, without any lag or anything, and it works from as far away as you'd want (once the screen starts getting hard to see, I think that's too far, lol). I'm absolutely loving it, especially since I don't have to deal with the cord getting in the way when I put it away in my System House. If the cords are tangled, the drawer that holds the controllers won't shut sometimes, but I don't have to worry about that anymore for 1P. I've yet to see if two AA batteries do actually work for around 100 hours, because I just got it, but I'm betting they do, since the WaveBird has lived up to all of Nintendo's other claims about it.

If you're going to get another controller, get a WaveBird instead of a regular controller. It's definitely worth the extra $10, even if it doesn't have a rumble feature! (I've never liked the rumble feature anyway). I'm still having fun with just being able to walk anywhere around the room while playing, lol. :)

WaveBird Wireless Controller:
[img]http://Store.Nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NOASTORE/NOAImages/NC47967T.jpg[/img][/color]

Guest ProudClod
WaveBird? there are good points and bad points. Basically everything you just said there were...um...the good points, but the consequences of the badders are so annoying! Firstly, if someone walks through the infra-red connection between the pad and the computer, your connection will obviously be ruined, leaving you vulnerable in any game. Secondly the AA batteries! not good, not good at all. If youre in the middle of a game and your batteries run out, you will become motionless, and unless the WaveBird has the "there is no controller in port no.1, please plug it in and continue" technique, then youre in an even bigger bind than before.

I think Ill stick with my [I]cordy[/I] controller *wrap it around my neck*.

Hmmm... It doesn't sound like you know much about the Wavebird hehe.

The Wavebird is NOT infrared, it uses RF technology. It can work up to 20 feet away according to Nintendo, but people have gotten it to work over 100 feet away. It also works through walls, around corners, etc... so of course it doesn't matter if someone walks in front of it. I got it to work using it downstairs in the back of our house, and my GC is upstairs in the front of my house. All this and there is NO lag. It works just as well as a normal controller, even in games lik Monkey Ball that need exact control.

Nintendo also says the thing will work for 100 hours on 2 AA batteries. Nintendo was extremely conservative about the distance, so I figure 100 hours is correct. I've been using mine since the day it came out on the same 2 batteries... this is including playing through hours and hours of ED.

This is the best wireless controller I have used. If you really want rumble, 3rd parties are making RF controllers with it included. I guarantee you they won't be as high quality though, and the rumble will eat the batteries.

Guest ProudClod
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SemjazaAzazel [/i]
[B]Hmmm... It doesn't sound like you know much about the Wavebird hehe.

The Wavebird is NOT infrared, it uses RF technology. It can work up to 20 feet away according to Nintendo, but people have gotten it to work over 100 feet away. It also works through walls, around corners, etc... so of course it doesn't matter if someone walks in front of it. I got it to work using it downstairs in the back of our house, and my GC is upstairs in the front of my house. All this and there is NO lag. It works just as well as a normal controller, even in games lik Monkey Ball that need exact control.[/B][/QUOTE]

It does seem that you know more than me about WaveBird, good for you! :)
I didnt know that it was RF, I couldve sworn I read something about it being Infra-red or something of the kind. But I will take your word for it. That is amasing though, through walls, 100 feet away, imagine how strong it must be! I think I will give it a try.

[QUOTE][B]Nintendo also says the thing will work for 100 hours on 2 AA batteries. Nintendo was extremely conservative about the distance, so I figure 100 hours is correct. I've been using mine since the day it came out on the same 2 batteries... this is including playing through hours and hours of ED.[/B][/QUOTE]

What will you do when those 100 hours are up though?

[QUOTE][B]This is the best wireless controller I have used. If you really want rumble, 3rd parties are making RF controllers with it included. I guarantee you they won't be as high quality though, and the rumble will eat the batteries. [/B][/QUOTE]

Batteries and rumble packs dont mix, that is my advice to you.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ProudClod [/i]
[B]
What will you do when those 100 hours are up though?
[/B][/QUOTE]

I'll insert 2 new batteries.

Question- Has anyone checked if the Wavebird light dims as the batteries lose power?

Guest ProudClod
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Smoky Joe [/i]
[B]

I'll insert 2 new batteries.

Question- Has anyone checked if the Wavebird light dims as the batteries lose power? [/B][/QUOTE]

That is a likely answer, lol!

I dont know about the dimming light, but as the batteries lose power, the range of the WaveBird will decrease.

See, I know [I]something[/I] about WaveBird.

Heh... I wasn't meaning to sound like a smartass in my post, so my apologies :).

For whatever reason the battery light is always bright orange. They should have made the light fade from green to red like on the GBA. When it gets low, the range decreases (like ProudClod said), and the lag increases. I have yet to have to replace the batteries though, so that's just what I've heard from other people.

Guest Shift
[size=1]My fingers are loving this thing!! ^_^

Today I tested it on [i]Wrestlemanie x8[/i], from outside my window!

My batteries lasted officially 107 hours. Man are my hands tired!! ><

But for a while it wouldn't work outside of my window (thanks James you were right that was around my 87th hour... hehehe.

I bea WMx8 8 times, and Rogue Squadron 2 too many times to count.[/size]

[color=indigo]Yes, it is very good! The only things that have stopped me from buying other wireless controllers before are:

1. All of them were third party controllers that didn't feel the same as the official Nintendo ones.

2. Infra-red is a crappy way to do it, since you have to be pointing the controller at the system at all times for it to work.

The WaveBird solves both of these problems, leaving only the matter of your batteries running out in the middle of a game... Which you're not going to be able to get around, with a wireless controller... I figure that if my batteries run out in the middle of a game, I'll either have one of my friends pause the game while I switch out the old batteries for two new ones (if I'm playing with other people), or I'll dive towards the console and grab one of my other controllers and pause the game with that (if I'm playing alone). In the case of the second option, it won't be pretty, but it'll work. :toothy: :twitch:[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=red][b]I got a question. If you have 2 wavebird's plugged in, do they interfere with eachother?[/b][/color]

[color=indigo]Well, unless you want them to, they won't. ;)

On both the recievers and the controllers, there's a little dial that lets you set the channel that either the controller is sending or the reciever is recieving. So, obviously, you'd want to set both the controller and the reciever to the same channel. If you have more than one WaveBird, you simply set the second controller and reciever to a different channel than the first one. There are 16 different channels, so you can have up to four GCNs with four WaveBirds each and none of them will interfere with each other.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Well, unless you want them to, they won't. ;)

On both the recievers and the controllers, there's a little dial that lets you set the channel that either the controller is sending or the reciever is recieving. So, obviously, you'd want to set both the controller and the reciever to the same channel. If you have more than one WaveBird, you simply set the second controller and reciever to a different channel than the first one. There are 16 different channels, so you can have up to four GCNs with four WaveBirds each and none of them will interfere with each other.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red][b]Ok thanks. I didn't know that. I wanted to make sure the didn't before I bought a few. Me and my sister love playing SSMB but hate the cords, so if we got those, I wanted to make sure they would not interfere.[/b][/color]