OtakuBoards

Tekken Discussion

Akuma

I was reading a guy named Yoshimitsu's (hint...hint) introduction topic. It was clear to me that there were alot of Tekken fans here, since that is what they all talked about there. :p James said we were welcome to make a thread about it here, so I did. First of all, what character do you use and on a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate yourself.

I use Kazuya and Jin. I would rate myself around an 8.5

Other topics of discussion would be, who do you think is the hardest throughout all of the games?

I have a problem with Jin, the first time I played Tekken 3 he was so hard.

Plus other stuff, let us discuss.

(If this is SPAM, I am sorry. :p I wasn't sure if it really was.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Hwaorang and his combos such as (1),2,3, 1, 1,2,3, 1, f,f+4.I also use Steve Fox.I would rate my self (Hwaorang) 9.0 (Steve Fox)7.5

So far I've mastered almost every move Hwaorang uses.

When I first played Tekken 4 with Steve Fox I fell in love with his punches.
Also it was harder at first with Hwaorang in T4.

I like Hwaorang's new look.

I have not yet played Tekken 4. My stupid PS2 broke and I have not yet sent it in. Once I get it back Tekken 4 will be mine!
I have mastered all of Kazuya's moves but not Jin's yet. :p Heh, I am not the best of Tekken players but I play quite abit. :)

Well belive it or not my best player is King then next will be Howoarang also Brian Furry is my best fighter. Tekken always is hard for me at the arcade but as soon it is on Playstaion I can master it I don't know which Tekken is the hardest. As for me I have only played 4 at the arcade because I don't have the money to buy it now.

my player: jin.
I dont know what to rate myself.

I really only play on tekken 3.
I have a ? for the fella above me who uses jin.
1. do you use him on tekken 3?
2. how well do you use him? are there combos you know that are un-written?

Im not gonna come out with my special stuff, but do you know what Im talking about when I get into this topic.

Im sure you would. we both know he does all the different styles.
question is how do you use them.
can you get to each style with out hitting buttons to go into set style patterns and then go through each to reach your desired one...

or do you know the quick step.

well then akuma. I must know, do you have the info I ask of you?

As one of the best Tekken 4 players in the UK, I was obliged to reply to this thread

Anyone in doubt of how good I am check [url]www.tekkenzaibatsu.com[/url] my username is SSJ4_Vegita and I came 3rd in the last major tournament last week

I use everyone in Tekken 4 to a decent degree, characters I am above average good with are Bryan, Jin, Steve, Julia, Christie, Marduk, and Law

Characters I am best with and use when I compete in tournaments are Paul, Kazuya, and Heihachi

In Tekken 4 I have no respect for a Jin player, main reason is because he is officially THE best character in the game, ranked Number 1, way ahead of the rest of the characters, he has no recovery time on almost all of his moves, any juggle starter is guaranteed to result in half your energy bar gone, and of course Namco gave Jin the ability to parry ANY move in the game that hits mid or high

Of course he has the most overpowered and overabused move in the game, the Laser Scrapper

That's my little rant about Jin

I'll still kick any Jin player's ***, mind you, lol

I'm best with the quicker and smaller characters. Jin, Christie (that's the hot chick that does Eddy Gordo's moves right?), Yoshimitsu and Nina. I'll be the modest one here and mention that I'm obviously not the best at thsi game but I'm not pathetic either. I'd probably rate at 4.5 or a 5 at most. If you mean hardest as in most difficult to use, I'd say I suck with any body who is big, slow and powerful. Which is ironic because one of my all-time faves is Ogre, either form, and he is frickin huge. I've gotten used to his God form, but beast Ogre takes more time for me.

i dont get it, why dont they make these games online?!
it would be so cool to have an international ladder of best fighters.
And making clans of fighters you know.

and with who i play the most, Jin, hes just so cool with his outfit and the traditional karate makes it even more an original fighter, and i really like the teakwondo of hwoarang, but i find it hard to learn his moves.

And doesn`t anybody fight with heihachi??? I think he can make the most damage with combo`s but he`s slower I think.

GET THESE GAMES ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!

BTW i play Tekken 4

Dang Seph, you beat some guy 50 - 3? I admit I am not that great but, I could probably do better than he did. :p How do you actually find theese people to play with though? I haven't heard of any tournaments near my area, you seem to know alot about that stuff so, where can I find out? I never noticed Jin to be cheap though. At least not in T3.
Is it something that happened in T4 or do you think Jin was always cheap? Anyway, I have been useing Bruce alot latley. His combos are easy and he has this one kick that just kicks ***. :p Due to that my Kazuya has been lacking latley. It's getting harder to pull off a Dragon Uppercut everyday. ;) Oh, my ps2 had been shipped off, and I should hopefully have it back soon. The day I do, Tekken 4 is mine.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Iman [/i]
[B]i dont get it, why dont they make these games online?!
it would be so cool to have an international ladder of best fighters.
And making clans of fighters you know.

And doesn`t anybody fight with heihachi??? I think he can make the most damage with combo`s but he`s slower I think.
[/B][/QUOTE]

It won't be possible to see a fully 3d fighter such as Tekken to go online for at least another 5 years, main problem is lag

It's just recently that we are able to play 2d fighters online

I fight with Heihachi, he's one of my best characters, I probably have the 2nd best Heihachi in the UK for Tekken 4 (1st place being Ryan Hart)

Heihachi is really good in T4, he is such an underrated character just because his wavedashing has become harder to do, I love all the little extra's Namco gave him, like the Emerald Sapphire double kicks which you follow up after the Thunder God Fist

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akuma [/i]
[B]Dang Seph, you beat some guy 50 - 3? I admit I am not that great but, I could probably do better than he did. :p How do you actually find theese people to play with though? I haven't heard of any tournaments near my area, you seem to know alot about that stuff so, where can I find out? I never noticed Jin to be cheap though. At least not in T3.
Is it something that happened in T4 or do you think Jin was always cheap? Anyway, I have been useing Bruce alot latley. His combos are easy and he has this one kick that just kicks ***. :p Due to that my Kazuya has been lacking latley. It's getting harder to pull off a Dragon Uppercut everyday. ;) Oh, my ps2 had been shipped off, and I should hopefully have it back soon. The day I do, Tekken 4 is mine. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, 50-3, the guy was good though, I can tell certain things about people by playing them, its like an instant reaction

To find people go to the relevant "Match Finder" forum, so if you live in the UK you would go to Euro Match Finder

Make a thread, or read through recent threads for anyone who plays in your area, make a reply, try to set something up for some games, I'm sure there was a tournament in your area but the tournaments have been finished, I am referring to the Sony tournaments, now all there is are the regionals in which the winners of the tournaments will face each other, the winner will win a widescreen tv, copy of the game, etc, and will become the UK champ, and be sponsored to go around the world competing against players from Japan, Korea, etc

Jin is cheap in T4 because Namco gave him a huge makeover, taking out 90% of his old moves and giving him a different fighting style, traditional karate, and he's basically become a god in the game

Jin was like this in Tekken Tag as well, though in Tag there were at least some characters who could give him a challenge

Bruce is a good character, though a lot of players consider him cheap because of a certain move he has that results in those 3 knees in a juggle

You should try Kazuya, he's one of the best characters in TTT, he hasn't got many moves, but he doesn't need to, his Wind God Fist and the Twin Pistons are some of the best moves in the game, and he has the best Hell Sweeps out of the Mishima's

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by zidane11 [/i]
[B]Anyone who is eddy should rate themselves a 10/10. He is a very easy character to be good with and he is very cheap. I would rate my self a 8/10 with Howarong, sorry I can't spell his name. [/B][/QUOTE]

Erm, Eddy/Christie is one of the hardest characters to master, true it's easy enough to just bash on X, O, for their moves to come out, but what good is it against an experienced player?

All of her moves are mix-ups, they can be changed from one thing to the next to confuse opponents and catch them out, trust me, any button tapping Eddy/Christie player deserves a 1/10

As good as I am on Tekken 4, I am not rating myself a 10/10, not even a 9/10

The simple reason is this, I have downloaded many match videos of players from Korea and Japan, and can safely say some of their top players would probably beat me most of the time

I rank myself an 8/10, and thats a very good score, if you want to know what 8/10 is, then keep an eye out for some of my match videos to be up soon

Also I will be organising my next "Final Heaven" tournament soon, so Europe players keep a look out (even though last year it was for Soul Calibur, Soul Calibur 2 isn't out on console yet)

Cash prize will be the same as last year, winner taking £200, 2nd place £150, 3rd place £100

Entry fee is £5

So expect more news on this in the next few months

Well, I decided to join TZ. But unfortunatley the link isn't working for me now. :p Geez, I have about 38 dollars. 50 bucks seems so far away. Once I get T4 I doubt I'll do anything but play it. :p
Combot looks like a pretty good character, does he play as good as he looks? If you were telling [B]me[/B] to use Kazuya, then I should tell you I already stated I did. Just not as much anymore. Paul is one of my favorites now, I use him and Kazuya only now. I can pull of some pretty nice juggles with Paul now.

Seph, I would love to talk to you on aim sometime but your never on.
Are you on in the mornings, or late at night, or what. Also, when are you going to start the Tekken RPG?

Im still wondering about other peoples knowledge of jins "quick step" into different kung fu forms in tekken 3.

Im sure seph knows what Im talking about, but Im wondering about the rest on this thread.

what about it guys?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akuma [/i]
[B]Well, I decided to join TZ. But unfortunatley the link isn't working for me now. :p Geez, I have about 38 dollars. 50 bucks seems so far away. Once I get T4 I doubt I'll do anything but play it. :p
Combot looks like a pretty good character, does he play as good as he looks? If you were telling [B]me[/B] to use Kazuya, then I should tell you I already stated I did. Just not as much anymore. Paul is one of my favorites now, I use him and Kazuya only now. I can pull of some pretty nice juggles with Paul now.

Seph, I would love to talk to you on aim sometime but your never on.
Are you on in the mornings, or late at night, or what. Also, when are you going to start the Tekken RPG? [/B][/QUOTE]

50 dollars? you dont really need to contribute to the site, paying them is only for getting some perks, like custom titles, custom avatars, etc.

They activate your account within a day or two of you registering

Combot is like Mokujin, he changes into different characters fighting styles

I know you stated you use Kazuya, I was just saying you should use him more

I'm rarely on AIM, but I'm always on MSN, I will be on AIM at around 8pm tonight, what is your AIM Screen Name?

As for the Tekken RPG, expect it to be running sometime this week

You say your one of the best Tekken fighter's in the U.K Seph, but that isn't true at all. You just the 3rd best guy in that tournament. There are 57 million people in the U.K, most of them didn't even known about the tournament (me included *cries*.) As the saying goes, there's always comeone better out there.

Also, I disagree with what you say about Jin. A good strategy for him is much harder to master on Tekken 4 than on Tekken 3 / Tag, and if you get hit by his unblockable move... then you really shouldn't be playing the game. It takes his like 3 whole seconds to get that move in... Not that I'm saying you get hit or anything... I'm just saying that that unblockable is really quite pathetic, not in power... but it is practically impossible to hit an experienced player with it.

I also like to go Kazuya, I think he looks really cool in Tekken 4 with all his scars.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SS Trunks [/i]
[B]You say your one of the best Tekken fighter's in the U.K Seph, but that isn't true at all. You just the 3rd best guy in that tournament. There are 57 million people in the U.K, most of them didn't even known about the tournament (me included *cries*.) As the saying goes, there's always comeone better out there.

Also, I disagree with what you say about Jin. A good strategy for him is much harder to master on Tekken 4 than on Tekken 3 / Tag, and if you get hit by his unblockable move... then you really shouldn't be playing the game. It takes his like 3 whole seconds to get that move in... Not that I'm saying you get hit or anything... I'm just saying that that unblockable is really quite pathetic, not in power... but it is practically impossible to hit an experienced player with it.

I also like to go Kazuya, I think he looks really cool in Tekken 4 with all his scars. [/B][/QUOTE]

I prove how good I am at every tournament I attend, and have become a top tier player in the UK, still I'm not classed high?

I disagree with what you said about Jin, and I am sure many other Tekken 4 fans from Zaibatsu will agree with me here, but Jin is the easiest and fastest efficient character to become good with in T4, in T3/TTT it required a lot of skill to become good with him, now it requires little to no skill.

As for the move you are talking about, that is not the version of the Laser Scrapper I am talking about

There is a version of it with an INSTANT unblockable, you cant prevent it from hitting you because of huge frame disadvantage, and it hits you before you even see it (a blue spark is seen for a moment)

Now tell me its fair for him to have a move which is impossible to escape, you cant sidestep for fear they may do the blockable LS and launch you into the air, your only hope is that they mess up the Instant Unblockable version of the LS

A new thing introduced to Tekken 4 are "Just Frames"

These are commands that must be inputted during a 2-3 frame window, basically meaning its almost impossible to get the move done right everytime, check out tekkenzaibatsu.com for more details on Just Frames

My Paul is infamous for my hayashida stepping abilities and the fact that I can just frame with him 90%+ of the time, very, very few people can do this

If you want to see Paul's just frame, go on practice mode, select Paul, look through his movelist and view the move called falling leaf (on US/UK versions the move is called Demolition Man)

Now try to see how often you can do it, before doubting how good I am at the game

hey, still...

Im wondering about this thing I was talking about in tekken 3.

with jin, the "quick step" into kung fu combos.

theres one where you do it and eventually it will lead to him doing set animation of his fist rolling up ward while hes on one foot and then pretending to drink, then going direct into drunken.

what about it...

you guys know what Im talking about?
there are several other combos to do with the move, infact, it can lead into all of his kungfu moves.

its sweet and from what ive seen, very few take advantage of it.

keep in mind its tekken 3.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by gokents [/i]
[B]hey, still...

Im wondering about this thing I was talking about in tekken 3.

with jin, the "quick step" into kung fu combos.

theres one where you do it and eventually it will lead to him doing set animation of his fist rolling up ward while hes on one foot and then pretending to drink, then going direct into drunken.

what about it...

you guys know what Im talking about?
there are several other combos to do with the move, infact, it can lead into all of his kungfu moves.

its sweet and from what ive seen, very few take advantage of it.

keep in mind its tekken 3. [/B][/QUOTE]

.....Kung Fu?

Anyway, the move is sidestep followed by right punch, it launches them into the air enabling you to juggle them, most high damaging juggle is a laser scrapper followed by forward, forward, right punch, simple yet effective

A lot of good players take advantage of SS+2, but only use it on counter hit, otherwise they're gonna get beat

no actually thats not what I was talking about.

go to tekken three and if you double tap forward he will do a quick move forward like everyone else.

but with jin, if you tap forward one time really fast, he does a funny step where his body opens up completely and its an obviously odd step.

if you punch while in that funny step (its not a side step) and do several punches it will do a combo of punches all a the mid level.

from those punches if you uses the up and down bottons and then use other buttons, kick or punch, it will lead to any one of the "kung fu" styles.

go try it and see what Im saying, Im actaully suprised that the almighty seph, didnt get that right on the first reply.

Im sure you know what it is but just try it.
----------------------------------------------------
ok, I went and put in the game just to see if I could find a way for the computer to do an example.

it comes close.

go to practice then the combo trainer.
do combo 1 or 2, either one starts the same and those punches go into the little back flip kick, then right after that backflip kick, he does 2 puches a mid level.
those are the same punches only he doesnt begin to do much.

if you do practice agian and do a right kick at the exact same time as hitting forward he does a kick that is obviously not the same as the other kicks (youll know if youve done it) its almost what I would call a cresent kick.

from that start alternating, left punch, right punch, etc. if done right, that will do the punches.

another example of this quick step would be with a kick, if you go into his styles and get to the one where he holds his hands infront of him towards the enemy, open palms.

while in that form hit left kick, he will do a spin kick of sorts.

that same kick can be done by doing this "quick step" and hitting left kick.

*important*
this quick step is hard to get used to, there is an odd milli-second where you have to let him begin the step before you can do these moves.

if your still not sure about whether or not you are doing it.

hit forward and hold it. it will look like his left leg is the forward leg the whole time. hit double tap forward and his left leg will be the domaniant forward leg the whole time.

quick tap forward once, his right leg will come forward and cross over the view of his left leg.

if you do that, that is the "quick step" in that split sec of movement you can begin these combos.
---------------------------------------------------

ive checked again to make sure about movement and directions.

if you do the quick step and hit lp,rp,lp,rp... after that rp, you can hit up or down, that will put you into one of his styles dependent on which direction you hit, up or down.

also, if you practice alot and use these properly, you will be able to continue combos. hold on. ill be back with more directions.
--------------------------------------------------------
ok, go to cammand list and find what the us version calls "razor ruch and high kick" do that combo and as you finish the kick, hit up.

that will put you into the style where he is on one foot with both arms in the air.

if done right, experiment and that can lead to another combo, to do it...
just to practice this part alone, go to the "crane" (if thats it, or the one i reffer to above where he is on one foot) then do LK,RK,RP,LK.

that combo will be availible in conjuntion with the quick step combo i have mentioned.
now im gonna try to find out how to do the rolling fist into fake drink into drunken. back in a sec.
----------------------------------------
ok, i dont know how besides pure luck but i figured the exact buttons.

do the quick step, then, LP,RP,up,LP,(at that point you should be in the style that has both fist infront of him, which will let you do a odd throw where you roll him around in your arms by his neck)...

back to the combo:
LP,RP,up,LP, let him finish the throw, then right as it finishes, both punches at the same time.

that will do the fake drink into drunken.

I hope this all helps, and it really all is possible, just be patient.

and remember, this all starts with the single quick tap forward.

why do you say it pointless.

if you work all of the things I mentioned, together, it makes nasty combos.

even so, I cant do it at the arcade, something about a joystick rather than a pad.

Im always better off using my playstation controller.

oh well. goes to show that Im not very good. although, Im glad that someone final knew and can do what I was talking about.

you go to admit that the one where he does the little fake drink looks pretty sweet.

also, I have to say that using those, I have never gotten into any real trouble, but like you said, they were probally all "scrubs".

but Im assuming you did get them all done.

I currently only own Tekken 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament. In T2 I use Lee Chaolan, and in TTT I use the team of Law and Lei. Although I don't have T4 I play it alot in the arcades, I mainly just try to figure out more punching combos with Steve Fox. His kicks are so......bad. No wonder he is a boxer! :p

I never said you weren't good Seph, obviously for you to rank so high in so many tournaments you must have some skills, I am just pointing out that there is bound to be someone, somewhere in the UK who hasn't attended any tournaments, but could still wipe the floor with anyone who constantly competed in the tournaments.

Also, I didn't know about that Just Frame thing with Jin... that does seem pretty cheap. I tend not to use any unblockable moves anyway, except Armour King's, but the poor guy is no longer with us.

I have a question though. You said in the tournaments that you like to go Kazuya, Heihachi and Paul... but is it possible to just go one character? I am quite versatile with several characters, but there are some people who specialize in just one character.