[quote name='Allamorph' date='03 June 2010 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1275611656' post='694487']
[font="Calibri"]To be fair, the current avatar restrictions are, I think, the [i]maximum[/i], and not the mandate; TheOtaku is 100-square, no more no less no freedom, so at present if you wanted a square avatar you could make it 80-square and be fine.[/font]
[/quote]
[color="#0000ff"]Bingo. The important thing to remember here is that we are talking about the [i]maximum[/i] dimensions. If we were to use 150x150, that means you can have up to a square at 150 pixels per side. However, if you wanted to keep your 150x80 avatar, that would still be allowed and it wouldn't be re-sized.
I realize the second half of this thread is regarding the avatar library but the simple solution there is to make custom avatars of varying sizes and let the user pick. Again, with a 150x150 max, you could make anything up to and including 150x150 and it would work across the site. Personally, I think this is the way to go because it allows for the most freedom in terms of uploads and also personal style. Like this, you don't need to pick rectangular or square because you get both.[/color]