OtakuBoards

Attn: Admisistrator or anybody else along that line

Unknownmasterx2

I'm having a problem, when I try to post a reply to a topic it tells me that I'm not logged in, I log in and type my reply, then click post, and it tells me that I'm still not logged in, I log in again and retype my post, and then it tells me that I'm still not logged in. I had this same problem with my old account, so I just started a new one, but twice isn't just a glich in the system or something, did I unknowingly break a rule or something? Anyway I await an explaination as this is one of my favorite message boards.

[color=royalblue]Yep. Sounds like a problem with cookies. Just go into your profile and turn 'em on.

Also, this belongs in the Suggestions & Feedback forum. So please, read our rules to ensure that you understand how to post correctly :)[/color]

[quote]
Just go into your profile and turn 'em on.
[/quote]
Profile? That would imply the OB profile. Cookies are somewhere in browser preferences (Edit|Preferences or Tools|Internet Options).

Hey, can OB have a feature at signup to check cookies? Conceptually, like: browser.cookie.write("Test"); if browser.cookie<>"Test" then alert("You need to enable your cookies").

I hope you're not talking about javascript. I hate those bloody annoying pop ups. And besides, I think you'd just be confusing people. Not everyone is as brilliant as you are with the computer, ya know? ;)

No, my suggestion would be a simple FAQ posted, stuck on top of this forum. Something that answers all the basic tech questions (as opposed to rules related stuff). You want to keep the FAQ small so people will read it. You can put stuff in like how to make banners show up in the sig, how to post up images, attach files, cookies, use the search button, whatever. The basics.

This way everyone would have a one-stop shop for one simple tech questions. They then wouldn't need to post threads that would be closed down by mods who, for the thousandth time, would be telling someone how redundant their topic is. Saves a lot of hassles.

But of course then you'll have to find someone to write that FAQ, in simple, precise, easy to understand English....

*points at Sara* Tag! You're it! :D

Since this is essentially a topic about cookies.. there's one simple thing that's always bugged me about them.. so I may as well ask here...

why are cookies called 'cookies'... I can pretty much understand why everything else is called what it is.. except cookies..

And yes, I am talking about the same type as you... it just bothers me.. ^^;

Well, from memory, I'm sad to say that there really isn't really that much of a story behind the use of the term 'cookies' for Web browsers. Its a computer science term to describe a piece of data that resides in some software but is not used by that software. The software actually acts as a kind of middleman, and passes that data onto something else that uses it and responds appropriately.

Which is essentially what a cookie does. It sits in the browser, but the browser doesn't actually use it. The web servers do, and they respond to the browser according to the data that the browser passes to them.

So all Netscape did was use a well established computer science term.

Of course, if you were then to ask me where did this computer science term originally come from....well then that's a much tougher question. I don't think anyone knows. I think someone wrote a book somewhere where a person in the story ate a 'magic cookie' and could see the dreams of all the other people who had eaten the same magic cookies.

This useless piece of information was brought to you by the Master of Useless Pieces of Information. You are not worthy. :D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mnemolth [/i]
[B]I hope you're not talking about javascript. I hate those bloody annoying pop ups. And besides, I think you'd just be confusing people. Not everyone is as brilliant as you are with the computer, ya know? ;)[/B][/QUOTE]

Javascript doesn't automatically mean pop-ups, if that's one you're getting at.

Plus, it's a very simple piece of code that writes a cookie, and then looks to see if the cookie it just wrote actually exists, and if it doesn't it brings up an alert box telling you to enable them.

Er...that's exactly what I mean....

If I didn't like cookies, and let's face it, some of us are a little paranoid, then every time I go to the front index of OtakuBoards, I'd be greeted with an annoying popup dialogue telling me what I already know.

Dunno about you, but after a while that would kinda get on my nerves...:D