Mr. Maul Posted January 3, 2003 Posted January 3, 2003 What is your opinion on Free Verse vs Rhyming Verse, and why? I tend to favor free verse because it's easier to write. But sometimes I rhyme.
Boo Posted January 3, 2003 Posted January 3, 2003 I prever rhyming because I like to read it more. Free verse indeed is easier to write, but thats not what matters to me :)
Booboo Posted January 3, 2003 Posted January 3, 2003 I usually write free verse, not only because it's easier to write but I think it sound more professional :huh: . I do like some rhyming if it has a good meaning and well written.
Mr. Maul Posted January 6, 2003 Author Posted January 6, 2003 I think that free verse lets you express yourself easier.
Mnemolth Posted January 6, 2003 Posted January 6, 2003 Its a misconception that free verse is easier to write than rhyming verse. In my opinion I believe its actually the other way round. 'Good' free verse is terribly hard to do. You have less of a structure to guide you, the meter is not as simple, and you can't bring it all together just by rhyming. Personally, I've seen very few decent free verse composed by high school students. Its extraordinarily rare. High school students really don't have the requisite sophistication and self discipline. Even university students find it difficult. That's why I used to grade an average free verse much higher than I would an average rhyming verse. I think its fair to say you're much more likely to find decent rhyming verse amongst high school students than you are free verse. But writing is often more than just about the exposition of English literature. Its about experimentation and expression. And in that vein I'm not one of those that cast their eyes down on teen poetry. Of course, 'bad' free verse is a dime a dozen.
Mitch Posted January 6, 2003 Posted January 6, 2003 [color=red] For the count, I like them both. I used them in an interchangable matter. Somedays rhyming just comes easy, others, I can seem to piece together something that doesn't rhyme to turn out pretty good. So really, I don't have a preference. But I do use free verse much more often, though. It's just much more expressive for me. But I use them both.[/color]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now