Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
This is a thread about card games. Talk about the ones you,ve heard of or are play (except Yugioh ,DIgimon, and Poke'mon they have their own threads.

My two favorites are L5R and Warlord if you wanna learn about them go to [url]www.alderac.com[/url] and click on their icons
Posted
i never played legend of the 5 rings, but i heard it was pretty good.
i played magic for years. i have about 3 or 4 thousand cards (currently trying to sell). my brother has almost 26.5 thousand. my friends and i would play all the time (even in class and during tests). sometimes games would last days.
then, wizards of the coast realized that if they watered down the mechanics and made the game easier they could make a killing.it just got so corporate that it wasnt fun any more.
the new players who come in dont know what it used to be like. its a sad, sad world.
Posted
it's a sad, sad world when people turn to cards for fun.
th only card game i kinda liked was Magic T.G. but im no big fan of games. It annoys me when people who know i like yu gi oh are shocked i don't duel. I mean in the manga he hardly ever does anyway.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by treton_noir [/i]
[B]i never played legend of the 5 rings, but i heard it was pretty good.
i played magic for years. i have about 3 or 4 thousand cards (currently trying to sell). my brother has almost 26.5 thousand. my friends and i would play all the time (even in class and during tests). sometimes games would last days.
then, wizards of the coast realized that if they watered down the mechanics and made the game easier they could make a killing.it just got so corporate that it wasnt fun any more.
the new players who come in dont know what it used to be like. its a sad, sad world. [/B][/QUOTE]

That man right there is a smart man.

The new cards are horrible, I'm so sick of this stupid cards that are 12/12 that take like 2 mana. I miss the times when the game actually required inteligence.

I, however, still play with a few select friends. We have old school tourneys all the time. I love Magic, I've played it since I was a 4th grader. The funny thing is though I haven't gotten a booster pack since Nemesis came out. Ah the demise of Magic came with those cards.

Can you believe that Tempest packs are 9 bucks now....Thats horrible. Yeah I'm ranting sorry.

But yeah I play Magic: The Gathering....All the time.
Posted
I used to play Magic about 5 years ago. I still have all my cards (I have no idea how many, I'd guess in the high hundreds. I had a good time with it back then... This kid I was friends with taught me how to play it during American History class (it was a study hall every so often). I mostly just played with him and a couple other friends. I never really was that obsessed with it that I'd go buy tons of cards or join the club at school. It was just something to pass the time.

It was always strange how many people were actually into it at first though... A lot of people I'd never ever expect to like it did, and I made quite a few friends because of it.
Posted
[QUOTE]I haven't gotten a booster pack since Nemesis came out.[/QUOTE] i quit playing at about the second Urza expansion.

[QUOTE]That man right there is a smart man.[/QUOTE]
oh... why, thank you very much.
Posted
I'm just trying to learn how to play Magic, but haven't yet. I've had about 300-400 cards for about 3 years and I've finally picked them up again and tried to learn how to play. My friend told me to download Apprentice from mtgonline.org in which I did. It doesn't help, though. It doesn't even explain how to really use the program anyways. Crazy times :P
Posted
im sure you could find a rule book easily(online or elsewhere). there (used to be. i dont know if this is still true.) is one in every booster pack (the box ones, not the packet kind).

lol...or my bro. could give you one. he has about 400. (he bought booster packs by the case, not individually.)
Posted
Magic is okay. I played for a period of time and got tired of it. I like card games with a good storyline( L5R) or that are pretty easy to understand and still have some strategy.(warlord)If any of you guys have played L5R the storyline is amazing and is based off of the people who win tournaments.
Posted
Supposedly Magic is really easy, but I can't seem to find a way to learn. The rulebook I downloaded off the site says on it's cover page that i must get the guide book because that book I downloaded just answers basic questions, not explaining the game.
Posted
You could try downloading the demo of the computer game. There is also an online version, but you should look for the single player demo from a few years ago. Someone should have it still.

I recommend that because it forces you to play by the rules, and having someone to play against allows you to learn far more quickly... Even those this is a computer heh. Otherwise, find someone that knows how to play, that's the best way to learn it. I've personally barely even read the books because of that.
Posted
[COLOR=green]I currently only play the Star Wars Trading Card game, which I find to be mediocre at best. The old version was better, since it had far more possible tactics and outcomes...[/COLOR]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]You could try downloading the demo of the computer game. There is also an online version, but you should look for the single player demo from a few years ago. Someone should have it still.

I recommend that because it forces you to play by the rules, and having someone to play against allows you to learn far more quickly... Even those this is a computer heh. Otherwise, find someone that knows how to play, that's the best way to learn it. I've personally barely even read the books because of that. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes. Like I said before, I did download the online version thingy. It's called Apprentice, but I can't find anyone with it. But Lalaith Ril, here, is helpin' me learn so it's all good.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dragon Warrior [/i]
[B]Yes. Like I said before, I did download the online version thingy. It's called Apprentice, but I can't find anyone with it. But Lalaith Ril, here, is helpin' me learn so it's all good. [/B][/QUOTE]

Apprentice? I'm just talking about Magic the Trading Card Game... the computer game heh. I bought it for $10 years back. It's exactly the same as playing anyone, but you can only play the computer. I think being able to play the computer, which knows the rules obviously, would be helpful heh.

I'm not familiar with Apprentice honestly. It sounds like it might be the online version of MtG, but I thought that was pay for.

Anyway, yeah having someone else teach you is far better.
Posted
last night, i dug under my bed to get my cards out to sell them. as i pulled them out, some of them brougth back memories of stompings (either given, or recieved) and others were just worth a lot of money. (i have 46 pages of rare cards and 4 more pages of cards autographed by the coresponding artists.)

i was like, "Tori, do i have to sell these?"
"no"
"youre supposed to say 'yes'."

then i told her about the values of the cards and how older cards (which is all i have) get more valuable.

"do NOT sell those cards."
Posted
Yeah those old cards from the beta version get to be worth quite alot of money. I should know...[i]snickers evily[/i]

I used to computer game, and I wouldn't recommend it. I mean I guess in your case it wouldn't hurt, but its so limiting. I find that the combinations and stuff you can use are very limiting and it just doesn't show you the true magic. Sure you get to play and you dig alittle bit into the sorcery and instant area but you don't really learn all that much from it. I guess for a beginner with noone else to play its a pretty good game.
Posted
Apprentice seems to be different than the computer game. Though it's played online, it is not Magic The Gathering Online which is paid for. This is free and has started to go out of date (3 years old) and not many play it. You can play a solitare game which isn't much help for me or just simply go online and fight someone, but I can never find anyone which is kind of a bummer.
Posted
Yeah I had the same problem. I used to have Apprentice and I got it just so I could play one friend. But the problem is finding the person, A. And B) finding anyone else to play.

That was last year too. Good luck finding someone.
Posted
IF I had the courage to split myself into different games with different mechanics, I'd dig into the Harry Potter and Digimon TCGs (last of which I barely know anything about), but right now I'm not ready for it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...