OtakuBoards

More Newer tags?

Xra

Hello, I was wondering if you could add more vb tags to your current list like highlights or shadow. Or maybe update your older ones, like add new fonts 'n stuff. Is it possible, or do you not wish to for some reason? That's all for now.

[color=#808080]New fonts are a possibility, but we won't be adding a shadow or highlight effect to OtakuBoards -- for purely aesthetic reasons. We do allow people to change the colour of their text and such, but we have certain basic standards of how we want the site to be presented.

Shadows in particular generally look absolutely horrible, due to the fact that text isn't anti-aliased on the Internet. Plus, it can make posts more difficult to read. Highlighting is a possibility, but it's not on my "to do" list right now.[/color]

Actually, well-used shadows can make up for fantastic effects, and not that much illisible or horrible, but few people actually CAN use these effects correctly so I agree with James on that one.

Adding Helvetica would be nice though, I think. A simple enough script font would be cool too.

The effects look different if you enable certain settings (in XP anyway), but look pretty crappy otherwise, in my opinion. I'd mostly be afraid that they'd be overused... If you start giving too many options, people abuse them.

For example, Gamespot's boards allowed ANY font size or color. You can imagine how bad that was. I don't know if they do any longer, but last I was there some guy was posting with size 30 font.

Now obviously, this isn't quite the same, but more than a few people using those styles in normal posts would be annoying. Perhaps regulating them to sigs is an alternative, if it's even possible.

[size=1][color=darkblue] What size font does Otakuboards go up to, I have used poiunt 7 before for a face like this [/size][/color] [size=7]o_O;;[/size] [size=1][color=darkblue] Any more bigger, or used for regular posting, and it would be ridiculous. But can it go higher?

I have a cool idea for a new tag, one that allows you to do gradient text, like people used to do with html in their sigs, although I really don't know how applicable that is. [/size][/color]

[color=#808080]Well, as far as I know, our maximum font size is 72pt (not the Internet measurement, but the measurement you might use in MS Word).

However, nobody uses it. And I think it's pretty obvious why; it looks horrible and it would make each post massively long. It's just really unnecessary.

Very few people even use a size 3. Even size 3 is a bit too big. Most people use size 1 or 2.

In any case, I guess you could say that we have certain "aesthetic standards" at OB. Yes, we do allow quite a lot of flexibility (in colour/font/size). And I'd say that it's more than enough for what most people are doing.

But certainly, there are places we just won't go. Shadows is one of them. It can have a different look in different browsers and for the most part, it looks overly messy and can make text difficult to read.

Anyway, Justin Blessing showed me the next major leap in vB technology yesterday (the beta of Virtual Bulletin 3) and I'm pretty impressed by it. OtakuBoards will be updating to VB3 as soon as it is released -- and no doubt, it will provide a myriad of extra features for you to play around with. Hopefully it will also be more stable and help to eliminate a lot of the problems people have had with past versions.

However (and I'll throw this in right now), none of our current skins may be compatible with it. Or so Justin feels. So, we may have to modify each current skin for use on VB3.

This means that I will cease development of the Zelda skin as of now. Instead, I will develop the skin based on VB3 rather than what we have now. That way, I won't have to scrap the skin soon after I produce it...and it will work with all of VB3's newest technology.[/color]