OtakuBoards

What does Otaku and Oekaki mean?

Kaola Su

I don't really know where this should go since I don't even know what they mean, but what does Otaku mean? Also what does Oekaki mean? I know Oekaki has been on a lot drawing websites, like where you go and draw with your mouse and post it up, but that's all I know. I am guessing Otaku has to do with opinions and posting...but I really don't know!

Kaola

Actually Otaku has no refrence to a fan of anime at all.

Otaku: 'geek; nerd; enthusiast'

or it can also mean 'your house; your home; you' in the polite form.

Otaku is used in refrence to anime fans in the meaning of slang. It's actually an insult. Used in refrence to refering to someone who has no life but to sit at home watching naime 24/7 or doing whatever. A hermit per-say. Not direct meaning to anime or a fan of anything.

Ekaki: 'artist; painter'

Prefixed by 'O' makes it a verb. To Paint, to draw, etc.

[color=#808080]That's true; it has no direct link with anime. However, it is generally used as a term that relates to anime/manga.

It's funny how "Otaku" has become almost a western word in that sense, with a meaning that seems to constantly evolve over its original intention in Japanese. o_O;[/color]

[size=1]Wether i'm saying it right with "oh-take-ou" or not, i doubt i'd be able to change now :-P[/size]

It's pronounced in sylable form.

O - Oh
Ta - Tah
Ku - Koo

Exactly how it looks. With Japanese words you must break down every single sylable and sperate them to know exactly how to rponounce it. For future refrence of Japanese words and pronunciations:

Vowels are pronounce dthe following:

A - AH
E - EH
I - EE (I dunno how you would spell EEEEE) lol
O - OH
U - OO

When vowels are put together, they do not conform with each other per-say like english does, you still must pronounce them as seperate sylables. But if you can learn to pronounce them right and fast enough, the sylables will flow together. For example:

Making up a random word here: KAITO - KA-I-TO (Kah-ee-toh) If you say it slow it doesn't sound like the sylables flow, but if you say it fast enough, it sounds just like it should...

But the main point is breaking each word into sylables and knowing how to pronounce those sylables.