OtakuBoards

Some ideas... might be good

Baron Samedi

hey i have had some ideas which you might like... thees might take sum time but i dont know- have forums for different countries like australia, america, uk, japan etc. and maybe have homework forum where if there is a big file you need at school u post it there and transfer it to a school computer. and also on there u could ask questions about ur homework and discuss stuff if u r stuck. i dont know what you think about this, but to me it sounds like a good idea:) hope u like it-

[color=#808080]I'll just address each one point by point.

1) The regional forums are a good idea in principle, but I think that they'd be carving up forums like Otaku Lounge for no real reason. Regardless of geography, people are mostly going to be discussing the same things. So I don't think that geography should be the catalyst for these forums.

2) File sharing is, in principle, a good idea. However, it wouldn't work here. Why? Because if you're simply holding data on OtakuBoards and then transferring it, you're only using OB as a data transfer service; not as a communication tool. Remember, it's [i]posts[/i] and the words within them that are important. If we had a place where people just upload and download from various locations, there would be next to no discussion. Plus, the size of files that can be attached to OtakuBoards are limited at a certain point. These limits are imposed by us, so that reasonable amounts of our resources are being used.

3) The homework thing is the idea with the most potential. And some people have asked about homework in Otaku Lounge and such. However, I don't think I'd want to put this kind of feature on OtakuBoards -- I'm a bit worried about such an idea. I feel that some members spend plenty of time on OB as it is and so, using OB as a homework resource might only compound that. But that's not my major concern. People who use OB to find information can't always be sure that the information they're given is accurate. Afterall, you're relying on what others tell you as opposed to doing your own research. And in particular, the people who give you answers and advice are sort of "cloaked" by the Internet itself -- so there is really no accountability. You really can't be sure that you're getting sound information. Also, OtakuBoards is really more of an entertainment destination. If kids are going to be studying and doing homework, OtakuBoards should probably be switched off while they work. I'm sure parents would prefer it if kids were working with live teachers/tutors and doing their own research, rather than relying on the advice of people on a message board.

That's a kind of longwinded response, but I hope it makes sense.

I hope that you and others will continue to make suggestions, though. Believe me, I take them all into account and I'm always looking for something unique and innovative for OtakuBoards. So whether or not you're successful, it's worth putting the ideas out there anyway. You never know what might get picked up.[/color]

i suppose i understand the points you have made there jamesbut i still think that the country one at least might be god. in australia we are having a big thing with the governor general- americans, japanes and british would mot be interested in it but australians would. it depends what kind of things are put in the forums. the otaku lounge is good, but what i am suggesting is country ones which have to do specifically with that country like Australian Forum with stuff like the GG case and the rose and thing hancock case.... i just think it would be useful for specific country discussion matters like that. as long as australians and americans and brits etc dont end up chatting only in their respective forums i think it would work well...

You mean like making a forum to discus issues in certain countries?

While the idea itself is rather good, I think that now-a-days alot of issues effect the rest of the world... something local or in your case the GG thing I saw, thats a rarity. But If any American got the whole story, I'ms ure our comment would just be as good as anyone elses. Perhaps when posting something like that, you should give a bit more information on the situation. SO that people, like me from the states, could comment on it.