Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
I don't know what I'd have to do to get kicked out of my grandparents' house short of murder. My oldest brother really raised the bar on "getting kicked out" when he committed armed robbery, and gets to come back after finishing his sentence next year. He's done it all, too. Tattoos. Drugs. Verbal arguments with parents. Physical fights with parents. Did I mention that the man committed a crime and gets to come back home when his sentence is done? There's no getting kicked out of this house.

Piercings don't even register on the parental scale around here, because my brother and I have had earrings since we were 10 and 4 years old.

It's not that we have a disfunctional family, it's just that my brother is rebellious to all extremes and nobody has the heart to punish him. He's been like this since he was 18 (adding some significance to my post, isn't it?). The second he became a legal adult, he did all kinds of crazy stuff. In an extreme contrast, I've done absolutely nothing. Kinda eerie, isn't it?

So when some of you turn 18, remember to keep it toned down a little, otherwise you might just find yourself like my older brother. Except, you know, we seem to have highly tolerant grandparents. You may not be so lucky.
Posted
[color=darkblue][size=1]Well, you can all probably guess that I went completely buck-wild after I turned 18.

I'd already been running away from home all the time, but once I turned 18, they couldn't make me come back. Ha! This is how I ended up homeless, so it wasn't a very good idea.

Plus, I started getting really reckless, so I got into trouble and ended up in jail. This was also very dumb.

As you can see from my shining example, becoming an adult doesn't mean you've grown up or are mature. I'll be 24 in October, and I think I'm only just now [i]starting[/i] to grow up. My balance of mature and immature traits is still seriously out of wack, too. I'm way too immature in some areas, and way too mature in others.

In a lot of ways, I still wish I was a kid, somewhat. But then my parents could make me go to church... and college is soooo much better than high school.[/color][/size]
Posted
im turning a whole GREAT BIG 14 in 2 months and 9 days (24th aug) and then another 4 years to go. i hate the taste of alcohol, can't smoke (asthma) and dont want to, and i REALLY wanna drive. might not be a exciting as i want- but i will like it i reckon i will. so about the most exciting thing is driving- and i noly need to wait until im 16 and a half. cool heh? it seems like life gets harder post-18. and anyway i cant cook so i cant move out can i? hhhhmmmm.
Posted
[color=002E55]16?! Argh.. I have to wait until I'm 17/18 to drive. Even then - the costs of insurance for that age range are insanely high over here.

Guess being 18 isn't all it's cut out to be; but that's why I'm buying a motorbike. :p[/color]
Posted
oooooh. motorbike. nice. well in Aus you can go for your leanrners at 16.5 years old. pretty cool- whatsa limit in US/UK oh well. ooooh motorbike. oogle oogle. good luck on getting it Red.
Posted
Why are you guys saying you can drink at 18?You have to be 21...

Anyways,I'm very afraid of change.I try not to think that far ahead...I have trouble facing the fact I'm leaving my safe little middle school and being thrown into being the baby of the high school.I'm sure it does have advantages,but I'm too tired to think of them now.
Posted
[SIZE=1][COLOR=dodgerblue]Stardust, actually Yes the legal age to drink is 18. Maybe it is different where you live.

Well I'm 14 and I used to want to be older so bad. I wanted to be an adult and do everything I want. But now, I don't want to grow up. I want to stay a kid forever, and hide away in my Pink room. I hate change, and never want to face the fact that I'm going to get older, change schools, change relationships and everything changing. But I don't ever want to get older, and I don't see how 18 is such a big deal.

I guess I'll find out when I'm 18.

-CL

I don't take change well. I am freaking out over Graduation this year. I will be leaving the school that I have been at for 10 years. I will be leaving some people, never seeing them again. Even though they aren't my best friends, I will still miss them. And then the 4 years of highschool is going to go by fast and then I'll have to change schools again. ...Life is so difficult...How do you people do it?[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by stardust [/i]
[B]Why are you guys saying you can drink at 18?You have to be 21...[/B][/QUOTE]
In some countries, the legal drinking age is 18. In a few other countries, it's 16. I think there's a couple of countries that don't even have legal drinking ages.

Makes me wanna emigrate or take a vacation real bad...
Posted
[color=002E55]Over here it doesn't seem like there is a legal limit. Kids can get alcohol over here [i]so[/i] easily even though the legal age is 18. They might as well abolish it forever - since to me it only seems to make kids want to drink more.. like they're being 'rebellious' or something. lol.[/color]
Posted
But i could've sworn the U.S. age is 21.....

LemonPawz: hey,wuts the legal drinking age?
hellokitt: 21
hellokitt: why?
LemonPawz: cuz people tell me different

see?I know it......
Posted
It wasn't much different for me when I turned 18. I mean, I was of a legal age to clubbing and drinking which was cool. However, I was still studying. I think if you want all the responsibilities of turning 18, then you have to be a responsibile person yourself. I mean it's a lot of hard work to move out and study and work and have a social life. I chose to stay at home and I'm still living at home now. I can easily move out because i have the finances, but I choose not to because there's nothing keeping me from doing what I want to do and i've got a pretty cool family.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh [/i]
[B][COLOR=darkblue][size=1]
1) For those under 18: What do you think it will be like, and why do you want it to happen (what benefits for you)?

2) For those over 18: How was it different than you thought it would be? Were you disappointed or did turning 18 live up to what you thought? How did things change?[/size][/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, being that tomorrow, it will be exactly 6 months until that fatefull day when my opinion will actually matter in the government of America, I must respond.

[b] 1)[/b] I think it will be another day. I will go renew my license, realize that i can buy cigarettes, not that i would, disgusting things that they are, and continue on my way. I would then think " now, time to look for an apartment" But, technically, i can move out now, being in texas and all. (you can do that at 17 here;P) Mostly, I will go out with ym girlfriend on out 7 month anniversery, assuming we make it that long, and thus continue my day as a semi-teenager. I want it to happen because it's the next age closer to 21 :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...