OtakuBoards

Am I being selfish to not want my favorite anime licensed?

Genkai

This is a thread to discuss why people get angry or depressed when their favorite anime or manga is licensed by an american company......

In this instance, I am talking about my very favorite manga of all time, of which I've read all of except for a few chapters... And those few chapters are the main reason I'm feeling (selfishly) angry.

This is because I can not get access to these chapters now that it is licensed. "I NEED those chapters" is exactly what's going through my mind.... And I calculated about roughly how lon g it'd take for those chapters to be published.... And I found that I would have to wait roughly 6 years. SIX YEARS. I'D HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL I"M 19!

There are more reasons why I was being so selfish and not wanting Hikaru No Go licensed... The fact that there will be people who think that they were the first American Hikaru No Go fans because they bought the first wolume when it came out (or read it in Shonen Jump, which is what I think is going to happen to Hikaru No Go), and that pisses me off..... Just the fact that they think they're better than me.... And I know it's the wrong way to think of these things, ..but all I can think of is that I AM ELITE to all of these people. I know I'm not, but that's all that's runniong through my selfish little head.. That I am superior.

But now I'll look at the reasons I shouldn't be angry.

Hikaru No Go is one of the best manga out there, and millions of people who would not be able to read it are now able to.... MILLIONS is a lot... I think any anime fan would want millins to enjoy it than just themselves. Though it will bring those people that I feel are inferior, it is still a good thing.

Another reason is, I can still read it. I just need to buy the japanese graphic novels that contain the 10 0r so chapters that I missed.. And then I can read the translations as I read the book.;. I still have the images and the words, I just have to put them together.....

And now that I thinkm of it, I really didn't miss that many chapters compared to those who were reading it exclusively on Toriyama's World...

Also, the one reaason that I am not raging about this is that it will bring go to the united states.... This is the bvest thing that's happenede to the American Go Assosciation in years.. That I'm happy for....

Please share your opinons on licensing and whether you should be happy or sad...

---Genkai

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but yeah, you do sound pretty selfish and, might I add, arrogant. I don't know what kind of society you live in, but those people are also very arrogant for thinking they are better than you for reading the same manga in a different language. :lecture: I don't really understand why you would hate it if an anime or manga was available to other persons besides this "elite" group you refer to. :confused:

However, I can perfectly understand you not wanting to wait so long to see what happens next in the series. This wait happens every time an anime/manga is liscensed, and is, in my opinion, the only legitimate reason for not wanting an anime/manga brought over. Still, just get over it. It's a good thing! You know it's a good anime/manga, so now you can finally collect it genuinely! :)

[size=1] I think a lot of hard-core anime/manga fans think this, but you have to keep in mind that anime isn't just for a handful of people. I think anime is really a great thing, and other people should be able to experience it as well. Sure, you may be the the one that's read some before-hand, but it really doesn't matter.[/size]

Yeah, the thing is-- I know I'm wrong.. I'm really asking if anyone else feels this way sometimes.. I know that it's a good thing that anime is becoming big here.. And I know I'm not elite... It just feels that say sometimes.... This is more to discuss the licensing of anime and why people get depressed over it and stuff.

Yeah... Um, I just want to say that I don't mean "depressed".. I more mean angry..

What do you think ore the eunderlying emotions behind this, besides selfishness? I think it's something about wanting to be elite.... That's why my head kept saying " I am ELITE"... I think that if you belong to a small group of fans of that anime or manga, it's hard to give that up.. Though HNG of course is not exactly a small group, it felt like it cause it wasn't licensed.. What do you think?

The thing is, I think it is best to read/see a manga, anime, book, etc. in their native language. Some expressions and the general mood, or different regional accents can only be expressed by a specific language(How do you express Texan in Japanese?) So yeah, I guess reading the manga in the original Japanese is probably better than reading it in English, so i think its understandable that people feel more '1337' when they read it in Japanese -_-

No. I didn't want Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Shaman King, and Dragon Ball/Z/GT to be liscensced, and look at what they've become. Mainstream crap. I can't even talk about Yuu Yuu Hakusho without some dubbie saying its got good dubbing because it has cursing and blood and thats why he watches it. They turned it into a stupid show known only for cursing. So I dont feel I'm selfish and you shouldn't either.

Yeah, I almost died when YYH got licensed for the manga, and the adult swim dub was almost as bad as the toonami dub.... I only had a few volumes of the manga read too....

Well, Hikaur No Go I only read some of in Japanese, but I found a translation site that had some random chapters.. So I don't feel l33t because of reading it in Japanese, just because I read it first or something..

[color=hotpink][size=1]I think that perhaps you feel this way because anime used to be something that only a handful of people really liked. It was hard to come by and it was fun sharing it with your friends. Now because it is so mainstream, it seems like everyone likes it and it doesn't have that same "specialness" about it. The good side is that you can get anime merchandise a whole lot easier now. And that's always a fun thing. :) But yes, I can see how you are feeling. I used to be the same way, but now I've gotten over it. I figure anime is just a passing phase and that eventually it will die down and only the true fans will stick with it.[/color][/size]

[color=indigo]First off, I hate the elitist attitude that many people have. I don't understand why so many people believe that those who have just gotten into anime are not as big of fans as they are...it is a very ridiculous and childish attitude in my opinion.

The popularity of anime is just a fad. When I was young there was a similar popularity with baseball cards and comic books. The fad will end, however anime will always be around because so many people truly enjoy it, just like comic books and baseball cards...right now it is just being overly saturated[/color]

Asuka you are totally right. I used to know nobody at my school, and I would share it to my friends. Then Yu-Gi-Oh showed up. I liked it for awhile, and then I show my cards and stuff to my friends, then they show almost everybody in school. And then it gets banned, and I am madder than crazy. Nobody knew about anime, didn't even know what it was, still don't know now. It makes me angry cause they're really anime fans they just don't it. Thats kinda what makes me mad. I have no clue why, but I can feel your pain.