OtakuBoards

Backwards-compatibility: Playing import PS1 games on PS2?

tattoi nobori

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone knew how I could play an imported [url=http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/best/bebop/index.html]game[/url] made for the PlayStation, on my PS2. If I get a mod chip, will I have to send my PS2 off to get it installed? (I'm not exactly an adept with the soldering iron. ?_?) Alternately, I suppose I could get a boot-swap disc; but will either solution allow me to play import PS1 titles?

Thanks in advance!

There are various modchips that allow this. They make you go through various little actions to get them to work... such as holding down reset for a certain amount of time or whatever. You have to do different things depending on if it's a PSone game or a PS2 game.

You can install the mod yourself. I don't keep up on the mod scene, but I believe there are newer chips that don't require much, if any, soldering. They're basically plug and play, so to speak. You'd have to look into that.

There aren't any true swap discs for PS2 as of yet, unless something happened recently I didn't know about. Generally these swap discs also require a mod chip... they just make the process of getting the games to work a bit easier.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]

There aren't any true swap discs for PS2 as of yet, unless something happened recently I didn't know about. Generally these swap discs also require a mod chip... they just make the process of getting the games to work a bit easier. [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=darkblue] My only experience with swap discs was for the PSX in which you did not have to have a mod chip at all, I guess I got lucky.

But you are right with the little actions, for this specific swap disc (I will find an image of the box soon), you were given a spring for PSX use, or a little piece of card for the PS1 as the lid was meant to stay open for some reason, while depressing the button that cause the disc to be read and spun, then once done, you'd have to swap for the import game and press start.

It gets tiresome, yet it is worth it for UK players as we never recieved Final Fantasy Tactics etc.

All I have witnessed of the PS2 mod chips is ones that can duplicate and manually create codes, but in my honest opinion, I feel 'modding' is too expensive and risky as I know people who have had faulty Mod Chips and have never been able to use the console again. Please update me on discs that are swap discs for the PS2, I must know. ^_~[/color][/size]

I have the same thing for my PSX. They call it disc swapping, but since you have to do all that other stuff... I didn't consider it that. Disc swapping should be like it is on DC. You put a disc in, run it and then put in your game. That's it. Oh well.

Well, thanks for the info, both of you! I'm pretty sure I don't want to open up my PS2, so I'll probably get a swap disc if I can find one for it. (Be kinda cool if somebody made a mod chip that popped into that little SCSI port on the back... oh well.)

BTW, your avatar is significantly... scarier, Semjaza! They both look like Mike Allred's illustrations, though I can't place them?

Guest King_Cloud690
I have seen a mod chip that gos into the memory card slot! It is easy! There is also one for the USB port on the front! But there are many ways of going about it!