OtakuBoards

Do we screw anime up?

yogi bear

I'm not talking about the loyal fans I mean the prommoters. Example DBZ toonami has done an excelent job promoting it but I think all this other stuff is unessesery like shoes, backpacks, pillows,and even mousepads. Another ex is Pokemon I got so sick of Pikachu's face on every f***ing thing It's even happening with Yugioh shirts,pencils,and even Halloween costumes,Kids WB is'nt helpping with those stupid commercials either. In other words I guess It's the owners who merchandise all this stuff to the point of the anime's unfair demise.

How exactly does it screw up anime? Sure some people will get tired of seeing all those characters on back-packs, shoes, pillows, and what-not, but I really can't see how it leads to the unfair demise of anime.

I can see how it's possible to say this. The american culture immediately groups *blunt example* Goku with Bugs Bunny. They will do the same thing to anime as they do to cartoons. The art is not appreciated here. Gundam is grouped with Power Rangers here, it scares me. This is why me and my peers never get along.

Well of course they do these sort of things....its called marketing. Just think about it the creators of the anime have to get a piece from the profit so i think they could basically care less if someone such as Toonami sells products from the website. Animes or anything that starts to get popular, products are one of the biggest keys for making money. Like you said they'll make pillows, mouse pads, tooth brushes....basically anything to get money. America isnt the only country to do this though. Its kinda obvious that other countries do. Trust me though you shouldnt let it bother you that much, it doesnt screw anime up at all. If anything it makes it more popular since kids(and adults) may see others wearing or using a product from there favorite, and they might want to check it out and get hooked on it as well. Basically in short, all these products being made dont really mess up anime...its these industries to make money. It wont effect the outcome of an anime series at all.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tical [/i]
[B]Its even worse in Japan so quit complaining [/B][/QUOTE]
Exactly. You think you're tired of seeing Pokemon merchandise in American, try going to Japan. The way I hear it, it's even more commercial there than it is here. All anime is. Anime is still trying to reach its peak in North America. In Japan, it's been popular for years, and nearly everything is made into an annoying product. Half of the stuff you see in America just has a new English label on it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kill All Trends [/i]
[B]I can see how it's possible to say this. The american culture immediately groups *blunt example* Goku with Bugs Bunny. They will do the same thing to anime as they do to cartoons. The art is not appreciated here. Gundam is grouped with Power Rangers here, it scares me. This is why me and my peers never get along. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I don't agree with that. I think that people do appreciate the artwork and that is why it is becoming increasingly popular. And the general population of anime fans will tell you that it is the art style that got them into it. There are just a few ignorant folks.

And HEY, I like anime merchandise. It's fun and cute and a good way to show off something I'm interested in. So yeah...WHOOHOO for stickers![/color][/size]

Yeah, heh, at least it's not as bad here as it is in Japan. But actually, where I live... in this small and boring town, you don't see so much of it that you get sick of it. They don't over-do the stuff because the only place we have to shop is Big K-mart and the dollar store. God, we need Target. But, hey, little kids like it. Now what I would like to see is some Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Trigun stuff! I can only get that stuff at Anime Iowa.

Plus I don't think that's qualified to be calling it "screwing up" anime. :P

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Stick Fairy [/i]
[B]Marketing doesn´t screw up anime, it screws up people´s perception of anime. It causes people to group anime with cartoons. And if they group Ranma with Powerpuff girls because of a Gundam toothbrush, that´s just wrong. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats a good point there. For many years I've like pokemon. But I see so much of it now that I kinda of get tired of seeing it everywhere. Now don't get me wrong the anime is good and cute and yes I love Pikachu, but seeing it all over the place just make you indifferent to it or merely tired of it.

This reminds me of the Elmo situation how a group of grown-ups rolled over one with a bulldozer. People get tired of seeing Elmo, but they won't stop their kids from watching, so it promotes anime but to a point it drive some away.

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]No, the production of merchandise isn't what American companies do to screw up anime. In fact, despite how much I hate FUNimation for what they did to the DB franchise, I'm glad gaming developers are working hard to make better DBZ games. When I was a big fan of the show, America had no clue what DBZ was. Some hardcore anime fans wrote to magazines like GamePro a few years back asking if a DBZ game would be in the works, to which the editors answered with something like, "No. The anime is crap and the games that have been made on it are crap, and there won't be any new DBZ games in America ever again. Period."

I'm glad they were wrong.

What companies do to screw up anime is change background music, dialogue and the "style" of classic anime because they think their self-imagined "innovative" ideas of modern technological applications is what appeals to the anime-watching audience. Marketing HAS a hand in this, as companies believe if they put out an '86 product in the network today, without any editing, it will flop. Thanks to this wrongful belief, unnecessary changes have been made to great anime like Dragon Ball Z and Saint Seiya. Oh well... and let's not forget the fact that America, despite all its freedom, censors more anime than Latin American and European countries on television.

But oh well, that isn't the issue here. Marketing an anime franchise is fine by me as long as they don't mess with the show/movie itself.[/color][/font]

[color=#707875]Why complain about anime merchandise? I can never get enough merchandise (if only I could afford it all X_X).

Promotion can possibly go too far...but mostly it's nothing to complain about. If it makes the show more popular, great. Fans of the show will judge the show on its own merits anyway...so I don't think it's much of an issue.[/color]