OtakuBoards

Serial Experiments Lain

Guest Forte

• 10 months later...
I hope no one minds me bringing this thread back, lol. I just followed the link in the thread directory and it seems no one has posted in it in quite a while.

Anyway, I recently bought the series through a site that I normally go to for anime, selling it on two DVDs for $15. Yes, there were minor video problems and one or two pauses, but otherwise you definitely got a lot of bang for your buck.

So I watched all 13 episodes through one about a week ago, and like others who have posted here I was very confused by it all. It did keep me captivated, and I suppose that I got the overall jist of it, but I will have to go back and watch it again, perhaps twice, to make sense of much of it. I actually came to this thread hoping that someone would be able to explain some of the more confusing aspects, haha. Nothing in particular, but you know, just something that would help me understand a little more of what was going on during the series. I do get the feeling that we weren't intended to get how different things in Lain's world existed, like what all of that equipment attached to her computer did (and I don't mean a general statement like how it broadened her power in the Wired), and how the Wired was able to connect everyone into this other world, which I think would have helped the understanding. I do find it funny, though, that so many people seem to love this anime, but the same people don't really understand a lot of it. I mean, it was a good anime, but I can't compare it to my favorites until I understand it well enough. :/

I always like to have short descriptions of animes that I've seen to tell my friends, and I think for this anime I'll say that it was really good, but trippy as Hell, lol.

[quote name='Utena_Tenjou']I saw the first episode today, I love the opening song ^^[/quote]The opening song is indeed very cool.

[quote name='Genkai']though most animet seems like it's one of the most confusing animes ever, too...[/quote]That doesn't make any sense. :)

[QUOTE=Kinetic][color=darkblue]
I don't know if it could be more confusing than Evangelion, or not, but I am definately going to check this out, because it sounds good. I'll just have to finish Scryed first.
[/color][/QUOTE]Maybe it's because I've seen Eva like 5 times and made myself understand everything, but I'll say Lain was more confusing. Take that as you will. <.<

[quote name='Sensei-San']Lain's depression is sketched quite well. Her gradual submersion into the outside world is very much alike that of many other anime characters, like Rei from Evangelion.[/quote]Hmm. I guess I can see where you're coming from, since I was sort of reminded as Rei as well when Lain was saying things like, "I am me, but am I the only me?" I can't say I agree with your support, though, because while Rei was gradually submersing into the outside world, Lain was already in the outside world, and gradually left reality in favor of the Wired.

• 1 month later...
i may be new to anime, and i might not have watched this series as often as some of you others out there(current total views---1, minus eps.8,9,10,11) but i think i got the jist of it.

[spoiler]i think it involves Lain on a more mental, tought-based manner. it seems that the show involves certain aspects of insanity and severe depression, such as the visioans of Lain in the sky and Lain standing alone in the middle of a busy street. however, the series begins in the outside world and works it's way into her head. Lain probably knew about the upgrade chip she found in her locker, albeit at a subconsious level, but was somehow drawn to Siberia and merely needed an excuse to go there. the men with lasers could signify the paranoia experienced in a later form of depression and Lain's sister's apparent depression could show how the feeling might seem, at times, contagious. the spiritual and religious references could be used to explain the final stages of severe, untreated depression...considering death. i believe that when it seemed that people were "forgetting" was actually when people stopped worrying about Lain's depression because of her sudden happiness and socialability. finally, to wrap it up, the last episode portrays a specter-like quality that could be experienced after death. although Lain is not dead, it seems that she is realizing what life in the world could have been like if she were not alive. however, she has a hard time with her desire to end life and a natural instinct to live and places herself in these thought like when Alice decides to contact Lain in the last episode, Lain accidentally had included herself into the world without her and the stress of all of these aspects together had forced her concious self to overload which led to insanity. it is my belief that the last episode was spent in Lain's dream world in which she existed but was unknown and thus, in her reasoning, non-existant on a "normal" level.[/spoiler]

i understand that some of you may not agree, but from wat i have read hear, it does seem to be a more complete answer that involves [u]most[/u] of the main aspects of the series.

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Added spoiler tags. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

I saw this anime last year when I was still hyper and obsessive about anime(mainly Inuyasha, go figure)...and sort of still into those simple, humorous types of anime. I just got into Evangelion and am exploring Full Metal Alchemist,which both were totally worth my 20 dollars (I get my anime cheap and NO I don't buy bootlegs and/or used). The only downside was that there weren't any English subtitles (ah! So that's why they were so cheap...) or dubs - but they did have it in Chinese. :confused: I got the gist of it since I can read some Chinese, but back to Lain.

Totally a complex and gripping anime, since even though I had no clue what was going on, I still watched it and taped it and watched it again until my parents were oh so nice enough to take away my cable! I have to admit that I searched for a summary on the internet and read that before I could get a basic outline of the plot, but I loved the opening song too! It may have something to do with the touched-up animation in the opening scenes, but it took me MONTHS to find the song's name (Duvet by BoA) and to download it.

--BLUE

[quote name='Ronin_K']hey, how come my post is all blotched out?[/quote]
Because Solo added spoiler tags to protect other members from accidentally stumbling across important plot twists. Just highlight the affected areas in order to see what you said. This is a common practice at many forums and absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

To avoid going off topic, please private message me or one of the other moderators the next time you have a question. Thanks! :)

~Dagger~

[COLOR=SlateGray]I really want to see this anime, from reading everyone's replies it sounds great! I love an anime that confuses me, that just means that the creators are clever.
Either that or they don't know what the hell they are doing but that's not usually the case.

I haven't seen the DVDs over here but I might look on EBay for them later, I'm glad I've been able to read other peoples opinions on this.[/COLOR]

Lain is like reading Faulkner's The Sound and Fury. Every 5 minutes all I can say is "What?" or "Que?" or whatever other language I know "What?" in. It has to be looked at in a lot of perspectives to understand it. There's our own view, the out of the box view, the view of anyone we know who's seen it, and the views of the people we see on boards like these. With all these views we come up with our answers,but when it comes to Lain there's always a question after the creation of an answer. Everytime I see Lain I think a lot and hurt my brain, so it's become a tradition to do what I did the first time I saw it. Watch it in a marathon, uninterrupted all in one night,midnight's a good time. As time goes by your ability to comprehend what the hell is going on changes just as the episodes change. I sound nuts for doing it this way don't I?

Lain's opening and ending themes are both great, the ending one is especially stuck in my head, the singer sounds like a Japanese Keith Richards.

The TechTV version is good,but when you see the little bits they cut out ya wish they didn't cut.

The characters were all a trip, the tall Lazer guy was my favorite, he was portrayed like he had an interesting past.

I'll end this is the first thought I had when I saw this Anime from start to end for the first time: "NOTHING MAKES SENSE, YET IT ALL MAKES SENSE, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE,.....WAIT IT DOES MAKE SENSE...*ramble on for hours*"

• 2 months later...
Guest Statiquen
I know I'm new to posting on these boards and I feel I might make some waves due to the fact I like to point out the obvious (usually in a harsh way cause I try to stay honest) but considering how deep some of your threads have the potential to be how have u not made a Lain thread yet?

If u havent seen Lain then u need to (unless u are a child in wich case plz dont ever read my posts...I am not a role model) I find it to be the tripiest view of the future yet. I mean dont get me wrong GITS hits the nail on the head in the cyber punk way (cyber punk...u can consider my religion and/or heaven) it doesnt even touch the craz'ness of Lain. If u are at all interested in anything thought provoking this is the golden chalace u have been waiting to drink from.

***HERES MY REAL POINT*** (for the lazy like myself that skim I added this)

OK! Now more to the point of my post.
I wanted to add this thread so that for thoese of u who have seen Lain and have a deeper view of the world (anyone who can comprehend deep thought) I'd like this thread to be the last bastian of analyzing what it is that Lain actually is (i mean the show not the girl... well the girl too...). Now I also want to add that I have no idea where to even begin. So I leave the floor open to u, my fellow posters (non-posters grow some balls and voice ur opinion) plz just remember I dont want to come back here and find a post thats only 2 lines long saying things like "oooh Lain is so cute I want to *BLEEP* her (idiots). Sooo on that note I'll point out that im sick and my codine is kicking in so I'm off to lala land. Oh yea and if any of u think I'm a jerk for anything I post on this set of boards I have quote fo u from Denis Leary "life sucks, get a helmet".

Oh yea and if my spelling sux... I nor the rest of the world really cares anymore we all speak slang and use acros. and abreves. soo... yeah no1 cares keep it to yourself.

[quote name='Statiquen']I know I'm new to posting on these boards and I feel I might make some waves due to the fact I like to point out the obvious (usually in a harsh way cause I try to stay honest) but considering how deep some of your threads have the potential to be how have u not made a Lain thread yet?[/quote]

Welcome to OtakuBoards, Statiquen. :) The "Directory" sticky topic posted near the top of this forum contains an index of all the series/movies/OVAs for which we have designated official threads. So we did actually have a Lain topic lying around; it just hasn't been on the first page lately. This is why I merged your topic with the pre-existing thread.

[quote]Oh yea and if my spelling sux... I nor the rest of the world really cares anymore we all speak slang and use acros. and abreves. soo... yeah no1 cares keep it to yourself.[/QUOTE]

What's this? Preemptive mod-baiting? :p I wasn't planning to comment on the fact that you seem to play fast and loose with spelling, because your post is more or less readable and the points you've raised make sense. However, keep in mind that getting all defensive about this sort of thing won't do anything but draw attention to it. In general it's a good idea to make your posts as coherent and clear as possible.

Please PM me or one of the other moderators if you have any questions. Thanks!

~Dagger~

it is confusing, but at the same time it makes sence. i had to have a friend of mine watch it and explain it to me before i got it. after that, ive been thinking that i was kinda dense. well..not really. i didnt get Lain on the first go, nor FLCL, nor Puni Puni Poami(if ANYONE gets this on the first go, im impressed. for those of you who know what excel saga is, Puni is that, only riskier). i think i just like the abnormal anime

• 2 weeks later...
I'm with Twilight as far as comparing it to FLCL...confusing as all get out, but I like both of them and will definitely give them both a second view in the next month or so. First however, I need to finish the first go-around of LAIN and the Fushigi Yugi that my wife sent out to me!

I got the two-disc set on Amazon (it makes my heart BLEED everytime someone mentions the high price of anime! I regularly get series that people pay $200 for for $40 or less. And it's on less discs, which takes up less space and isn't wasteful! Amazon, people! Trust me!) and I've seen the first seven episodes so far. It's a trip and a half. Why are there more electronics in her room everytime they show it, where does it all come from, and most importantly, why does her family seem not to notice?

The music is great, and I love the art. Its also great to see anime thats charm isn't simply chicks in skimpy clothes and a few frames of "fanservice" every ep.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Otherworld7
I was wondering if anybody can answer this for me. At the end of Serial experiments Lain, what happens to her? [spoiler]Does she become god?I thought she didn't want to be god. also, she was so upset about erasing herself from everyones' memories, so why didn't she just come back to school, but say she was a transfer student or something.[/spoiler] the ending confused me so much, so i hope somebody can explain it clearly for me.

also, I have one thing for all you fruba fans to think about. I was studying the manga (yes, studying. i do that) did you notice that [spoiler]Kyo left for the mountains around the exact same time Tohru's mom got in that car accident? They say in the first manga that Kyo left 4 months ago a bunch of times, but they also say that tohru's mom died four months ago (she says it so casually, i didnt notice it at first, but it is in there) i dont have the book with me so i cant say what page its on. does anybody else think its possible that Kyo might have run into a girl while rushing to the mountains and when he tried to run, he ran into the road and tohru's mom crashed into that wall when she tried to avoid him?[/spoiler] it is possible you know.

[color=#503f86][size=1][b]Added spoiler tags. Please be aware of what you could be revealing to people who have not yet read the manga or finished watching the series.

Also, please be sure to check for existing threads before starting a new one, either by searching the forums or by checking the Official Threads Directory Sticky at the top of the forum display -Solo[/b][/size][/color]

ok im not so sure i have too much to write , but i have to point out that everyones bomb-shelling on whether or not it makes sence n all , i think its just like Riegn ; the Conquerer . u see you simpley have to either get drunk , or get tired ! trust me , itll make WAY more sence! ;)
also , everyone keeps say ing that the songs rock , & they do , but your NORMAL to like it!!! i think itd be better to point out thoughs who dont , or if you know someone who dosent , & how you reacted when you found out about it . though this is just opinoin. :cool:
(srry , im still just getting used to this whole "spelling" thing again , lol! :wigout: )

I thought this series was alright. The artwork and video were really well done, but the story itself wasn't really the best. I didn't like many of the characters in Lain, espically Lain since she would always question herself left and right. However, if they expanded on the concept and made it a longer anime I probably eventually would have enjoyed it more. To fit something like this in only 12 episodes (and the movie) wasn't really enough. I also couldn't understand where she was getting all the equipment from for her computer after a while. I know the [spoiler] knights were supplying her with some equipment but most of the equipment she had to get some way or another. And i seriously doubt that her father was buying most of it for her [/spoiler]. It didn't confuse me that much compared to other series I have seen, but I did have just this one question I found confusing. I seriously doubt it was a continuity error.

[quote name='pbfrontmanvdp]I didn't like many of the characters in Lain, espically Lain since she would always question herself left and right.[/QUOTE][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]You didn't like Lain? I thought she was adorable, haha. I liked her behavior. She reminded me of Rakka, but in a different world (and mind). I think questioning one's self was the main point of Lain, but like everyone else on this thread, I'm not 100% sure what transpired.[QUOTE=pbfrontmanvdp]I also couldn't understand where she was getting all the equipment from for her computer after a while. I know the [spoiler] knights were supplying her with some equipment but most of the equipment she had to get some way or another. And i seriously doubt that her father was buying most of it for her [/spoiler'].[/quote][SPOILER]Her dad was buying all the stuff. It's clear from his computer smarts and gear that he could purchase it, and when you find out that it's not her real father, it becomes very clear that money is no object for the "family."[/SPOILER]

You mentioned a movie. I remember hearing that there are like four movies or something, but that might have meant four DVDs. I wonder if there are movies for this series, as I would really like to get more information about them then.

As for the series, I wasn't all too impressed. Like the Matrix, the ideas and concepts are interesting, but the execution is where it falters severely. While the character Lain was interesting, I don't think there was anything else about the show that I liked.

Speaking of the Matrix, was it influenced by Lain, or made before it? I'm wondering because of all the monochromatic and polychromatic atmospheres. I don't think it was just a way to save ink, haha, because everything was extremely white, and then other places would have a rainbow of colors. [SPOILER]Cyberia, where information and material would exist, was highly colored, while other places would be monochromatic, like everything has the same level of significance[/SPOILER].

I think part of the confusion from Lain stems from disagreeing with some of the ideas. You really have to go into the series without imposing any beliefs of your own, as then it creates a cloud of confusion for you. That's my opinion, haha.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
I am having some real trouble watching Lain.

It takes some serious concentration to follow what is happening. But more than that it makes me feel very anxious and uncomfortable. There's no one aspect that does it, it's the whole package the animation, music, characters and story.

This is actually a good thing in my opinion. It's great to watch things that excite you and make you happy, but it's good to have the flip side.

I'm going to persist with Lain and see what happens - at the risk of sending myself insane my plan is to find a free weekend and sit down and watch it start to finish in one go!

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]If an anime can make you feel anything, that's a good thing. Well, unless it's disgust, haha. But experiencing something is the essence of entertainment, not just experiencing happiness. You'll be happy later that you experienced [i]something[/i], regardless of whether it was bad or good. Don't know if that made sense, but moving on...

Watching Lain in one go is definately to your advantage. However, I have to warn that it's a lot to take in at once. If there's an episode that leaves you contemplating a great deal, don't jump to the next episode thinking that it'll address your concerns. Instead, turn off the Telly and muse over it for a while. Think about the show, and while you don't have to come to any type of conclusion, just letting things sink in is very helpful.

I'm not saying that you should do it after every episode, but just after any episode you think you need more time to digest. More than likely, the next episode is only going to put more on your mind.

Hope that helps. And no, I did not steal this idea from someone else and then find it to work wonders. <_<[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]
And no, I did not steal this idea from someone else and then find it to work wonders. <_<[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I am certainly stealing that idea from you ;)

It's a public holiday here tomorrow which means no work and nothing is open so I think it is a good time to sit down and watch some Lain.

I've made it to a spot in the series (can't remember the episode) where [spoiler] Lain is not visiting the wire she's just watching [/spoiler] and I think I need to rewatch the episodes before because I can't for the life of me work out why! I think it has something to do with [spoiler] the fact that the Lain from the wire seems to be taking over the Lain in real life's life and doing horrible things to people [/spoiler]
If you have an view on this I'd love to hear it.

I think my biggest problem is I usually watch late at night and tend to fall asleep and miss things and Lain is not a series where you want to miss things!

Thanks for the idea AzureWolf

• 2 months later...
I have just finished watchiong the OVA Lain and i was curoius what anyone thought about it. Since it is a very deep anime i was wondering if diffrent people had diffrent theories about it.'

[spoiler]Like about the Kids project and the thing about Lain appearing in the clouds.

I intend this thread to go into specifics so if you haven't seen it you had best avoid this thread.

I get the whole thing about Lain being software, but what i don't quite get is about her existence. At first i was thinking that she was created out of pieces of the Wired. That she was always existing there and all she was given later was a body.

But then why were there two?[/spoiler]

• 3 months later...
Guest Gamebeast
I recently started watching this show and am now on layer 08. I noticed Lain does not have a plot "line" but rather a plot "void". What i mean is that anyting can come from it. How ever you perceive or intrepert it that is what it becomes. For instance, at the beggining i didnt know what the wired was then i thought it was the internet. But now, with the "melding" of the "wired" and the world. I know beleive the "wired" is not only the Net or eletrical appliances, but it is every electrical interaction from the synapsys the brain to the static on your TV screen. Its truly an amazing show.

If anyone has seen this show and has any feeling on it, please reply to me.

Thank you.

I LOVE Serial Experiments Lain. It is one of my favorite animes ever. It is a kind of anime that you can't watch just once and understand. You have to watch it muliple times to completely get a handle on what exactly is going on. I agree with you that it is a amazing anime. The wired is a kind of internet. Its hard to explain. The anime does explain alot, but leaves somethings for you to ponder.

After you watch Serial Experiments Lain completely, and you think you have a understanding on it, go to this website: [url]http://www.cjas.org/~leng/lain.htm[/url] . That website, Thought Experiments Lain, gives a awesome and thought provoking analysis of Serial Experiments Lain. I have to warn you, it contains alot of spoliers.

Well, i hope youy enjoy the rest of Serial Experiments Lain. :)

Guest Gamebeast
I just finished the series ten minutes ago. Its absolutly amazing. I beleive the show is more to be interperted than to be generally understood in the same way.

Amazing, ive never seen such a deep plot that can be explored so much.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='asian_tofu']I saw this anime last year when I was still hyper and obsessive about anime(mainly Inuyasha, go figure)...and sort of still into those simple, humorous types of anime. I just got into Evangelion and am exploring Full Metal Alchemist,which both were totally worth my 20 dollars (I get my anime cheap and NO I don't buy bootlegs and/or used). The only downside was that there weren't any English subtitles (ah! So that's why they were so cheap...) or dubs - but they did have it in Chinese. I got the gist of it since I can read some Chinese, but back to Lain.[/quote]

[COLOR=Navy]Yes, you bought bootlegs. Evangelion would never cost $20 and Full Metal Alchemist Vol. 5 hasn't even been released yet. That fact that they didn't come with English subtitles only makes your statement ignorant. It had chinese? Bootleg![/COLOR]

[quote name='lcrisler']I got the two-disc set on Amazon (it makes my heart BLEED everytime someone mentions the high price of anime! I regularly get series that people pay $200 for for $40 or less. And it's on less discs, which takes up less space and isn't wasteful! Amazon, people! Trust me!)[/quote]

[COLOR=Navy]A 2-disc set on Amazon means a bootleg. Also you bought the disc at the Amazon "marketplace," not actually from amazon itself.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Gamebeast]I recently started watching this show and am now on layer 08. I noticed Lain does not have a plot "line" but rather a plot "void". What i mean is that anyting can come from it. How ever you perceive or intrepert it that is what it becomes. For instance, at the beggining i didnt know what the wired was then i thought it was the internet. But now, with the "melding" of the "wired" and the world. I know beleive the "wired" is not only the Net or eletrical appliances, but it is every electrical interaction from the synapsys the brain to the static on your TV screen. Its truly an amazing show.

If anyone has seen this show and has any feeling on it, please reply to me.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Navy]
I saw this show back in 1998. I barely remember it but I do know it had a "plot line," and not a "plot void." The word "plot void" only comes from the minds of people who don't understand the anime. I've seen this show only once and it was back in the late 90's but I'll try and remember.

For those who are comparing The Matrix to Serial Experiments Lain, they are very similar indeed but Serial Experiements Lain was created in 1998, 1 year before The Matrix was introduced.

I saw this series subbed and my SEL dvd's are collecting dust. I need to re-watch it dubbed so I can explain it better.

I'm going to use Paranoia Agent here because it's the only clear way I can explain what's going on in the show.

Alright, everyone in the world of Serial Experiments Lain is either depressed, bored, or crazy. So they find a way to excape their ordinary lives by going into the Wired world (Just like in the internet world of Ghost(soul) in the Shell(body)). Just like in Paranoia Agent, the characters are just trying to find a way to escape, and when Lil' slugger whacks a person, their life restarts.

In Serial Experiments Lain it is a little similiar. Instead of the people getting whacked, they drop out of the real world and create new lives for themselves in the ethereal world (Wired). However, when they enter the real world, there are these mysterious beings who call themselves the Knights of the Calculus(not sure, if I remember the name correctly). These Knights are a collective group that control the wired world. These Knights play games that actually kill people in the real world.

So, after Lain teachers herself to use a navi, she starts becoming aware of the Wired. When she digs in deeper she realizes that the Wired world actually has life & death consequences in the real world. That's why her "real" family show no emotions because of what is happening to them in the wired world. Since Lain is the first and actually one that realizes what is happening, she forces all her emotions into the Wired world only to materialize a different version of herself. In reality there is really only one "Lain." There is no two different Lains. There is only one Lain who actally doesn't know what she is, she starts asking questions she shouldn't have. The other Lain isn't actually Lain but a poweful Knight who is behind all the pranks going on.

So, she sacrifices her happiness for the sake of her friends and families. Since she is the only one who can break the boundaries of the wired and actual world, she seeks out the Knight's order and eliminates them all. Only to leave the actual apparition who is behind it all, sorry I forgot his name. This guy apparently thinks he his God, but Lain makes him realize that he has no actual power in the "present-day world." He only has the powers to manipulate everything in the Wired world. So when this guy tries to materialize himself in the present-day world, he his crushed by Lain who now realizes that she has the power to materialize in both the wired and present-day world. Read my first sentence of this paragraph again and it leads to her deleted her own image in everyone's minds.

I haven't seen this show since 1998 so I can't remember how to explain what memory is in this world. What I remember though is that she isn't "GOD." If I could remember what memory in this world stood for and saw the series again, I can explain everything that no one understands in this anime. The only reason she was able to reset everyone's memory was through the wired world. Memory in the wired world, are words or rumors, if I remembered correctly. Since the two worlds are intertwined by fate, she can actually restart events before they even happen in the real world.

That's all for now, I have watch Trinity Blood, Marchen Awakens Romance, & Otogizoushi.[/COLOR]