OtakuBoards

Soul Calibur 2

Guest The Half Rogue

Guest The Half Rogue
I din't really want the game at first, but after seeing the commercal with link NEED SOUL CALIBUR 2!!! But the reason im posting this is because i want to know, do you think that link being in a game like this would ruin his character image? Like i think some little kids are thinking "He is all for mature games now" or somthing, what do YOU guys think?

[color=navy][i] This might belong better in the Nintendo Forum.
Ruin his character image? Not at all. Infact, I think it would broaden the players of the Zelda series.
Think of it. Little kids, that at first glance Something like Wind Waker would appeal to, have no intrest for the most part in a serious fighting game such as this one. On the other side, the older gaming population, looking more to a serious game like this, and less of to a game like Wind Waker. It very well may change the way people look at Link, Zelda games, and Nintendo characters in general. I think it's a great thing he's in this game, especialy one that promises to be so popular.
~Matto[/COLOR][/I]

Yeah, I don't think his image will change much, not at all for the worse.

Think of it-- There are younger age groups and there are older age groups. A lot of the more mature players complained about WindWaker's cel-shaded "kiddy" graphics, especially after the video demo at SpaceWorld the year before WW was announced. Now look at Soul Calibur 2: We see the realistic, more violent Link that anyone who's played OoT knows. Thus we get the best of two dimensions on one console, in the same franchise: The WW for kiddies, Soul Calibur 2 for older groups. Now, I'm not saying that the two groups can't cross over, but that's just what demographics the developers had in mind while creating the game.

Well technically, Matto Tradagen, this thread is not as much about SC2 in general, as much as Link's role in the game.. So this thread could, in my eyes, belong in either Nintendo or Zelda.. *shrugs* But moving it or not is the choice of a mod.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OtakuSennen [/i]
[B]Now, I'm not saying that the two groups can't cross over, but that's just what demographics the developers had in mind while creating the game.[/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]You must not know very much about TWW. ;) Miyamoto and others have said time and time again that they created TWW for people of all ages. It was not made with younger kids in mind. So many people assume that because of the cartoony graphics, and it's just not true. I mean, really, the original Zelda had cartoony graphics compared to other NES games of its time, yet it wasn't considered a kids' game. Heck, it was dang hard. Probably very, very few little kids would be able to beat the first quest, let alone the second.

And when you say that it was a lot of the mature gamers that complained about the cel shaded style, you've got it backwards. It was the [i]immature[/i] people that complained. The actual mature people appreciated the style for its complexity and how it went back to the games' graphical roots by being cartoony. Not to mention that, if it came down to it, they'd be able to look past the graphics at how the game actually played even if they didn't like the style. I mean, really, if you base your whole opinion of a game off of its graphics, that's not exactly a mature opinion.

But anyway, about SCII, I don't think it's going to change Link's image. He's already had both the cartoony and realistic look before, so another game in which he's realistic isn't going to change anything. We'll probably see people saying that that's how he should have looked in TWW, but we've already gotten tons of that because of that old Spaceworld trailer. So yeah, this is nothing new, just more of the same.[/color]

*sigh* Yet again, Desbreko, you have found the weak spots in my thinking process and showed that my use of words was not of an acceptable level.

[quote]
[i]Desbreko originally wrote:[/i]
[b]You must not know very much about TWW. Miyamoto and others have said time and time again that they created TWW for people of all ages. It was not made with younger kids in mind. So many people assume that because of the cartoony graphics, and it's just not true. I mean, really, the original Zelda had cartoony graphics compared to other NES games of its time, yet it wasn't considered a kids' game. Heck, it was dang hard. Probably very, very few little kids would be able to beat the first quest, let alone the second.
[/b]
[/quote]

Yeah, you got me there by pointing out how I didn't completely think through my statement.. Back in the confines of my mind I had the fact that Miyamoto intended WW for all ages, yet all of the other spammy message boards I'm on are constantly saying it's kiddy.. @_@ It brainwashed me..

But with the cheezy graphics of LoZ on NES, how could something look realistic in comparison to something cartoony on such a low graphic level..? Given the fact that Zelda has always been graphically at the top of the line, but still..

[quote]
[b]And when you say that it was a lot of the mature gamers that complained about the cel shaded style, you've got it backwards. It was the immature people that complained. The actual mature people appreciated the style for its complexity and how it went back to the games' graphical roots by being cartoony. Not to mention that, if it came down to it, they'd be able to look past the graphics at how the game actually played even if they didn't like the style. I mean, really, if you base your whole opinion of a game off of its graphics, that's not exactly a mature opinion.[/b]
[/quote]

True, that is not entirely mature.. But when I said mature I meant it to mean "People of an older chronological age", not "People of an older mental age".. Here you got me by the multiple meanings of the word mature..

[quote]
[b]But anyway, about SCII, I don't think it's going to change Link's image. He's already had both the cartoony and realistic look before, so another game in which he's realistic isn't going to change anything. We'll probably see people saying that that's how he should have looked in TWW, but we've already gotten tons of that because of that old Spaceworld trailer. So yeah, this is nothing new, just more of the same.[/b]
[/quote]

*clap clap clap* Well said, sire. If he had been realistic in WW, that would have made things really sort of.. Off. The plot is sort of light-hearted for a realistic, well-shaded (Not cel-shaded.. Just heavily dark) more serious Link to fight in..

(I would not have added that last part, but I wasn't on OB when the infamous WW video was first shown so I'm stating my thoughts now. ^_^' ...Or have I already stated those thoughts..?)

[quote]@_@ It brainwashed me..[/quote]
[color=indigo]Heheh, that's why I'm here; to catch people on that sort of stuff. Can't let the...um... How to put this without using vulgar terms... Ah, here we go. Can't let the insecure little punks win, now can I? :toothy:[/color]

[quote]But with the cheezy graphics of LoZ on NES, how could something look realistic in comparison to something cartoony on such a low graphic level..? Given the fact that Zelda has always been graphically at the top of the line, but still..[/quote]
[color=indigo]Well, go look at something like Contra and then look at The Legend of Zelda. See what I mean? Contra has more realistic characters and environments, while Zelda was done in a more cartoony, fantasy style of graphics. You don't need very complex graphics to have different styles. The "realistic" games like Contra may not actually look too realistic, but they're moreso than Zelda.[/color]

[quote]Here you got me by the multiple meanings of the word mature..[/quote]
[color=indigo]Yeah, I figured you might mean it in that sense, but I like to point that out whenever I can. (Again, I really despise the opinion that TWW is only meant for "kiddies"). Personally, I think using the word "older" would be more appropriate in that context. "A lot of the [u]older[/u] players complained..." Makes it clearer that way. Though you do have to remember that age seems to have less and less influence on how mature people are anymore.[/color]

[quote]*clap clap clap* Well said, sire.[/quote]
[color=indigo]*takes a bow*[/color]

[size=1]Link's image ruined?

I doubt it. The Gamecube version of Soul Calibur II is the most popoular over the multi-platform game. I wonder why...

Although I'm happy Link is in the game, I must confess I don't use him a smuch as I thought I would. His attacks don't strike quick enough (compared to Raphael) and he can't use his weapon to control the battlefield as well as others can.

But I still think he rocks. I use him when I can.[/size]

Links image will not be ruined as most people are saying it will be broaded, it will just be like the link for Smash brothers melee. he totally kick *** on there and he will totally kick *** on soul calibur.
All the english computer games magazines are saying that the console only fighters are a welcome edition because of the fact taht they all have different fighting styles so there is something to suit everyones needs.

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]You must not know very much about TWW. ;) Miyamoto and others have said time and time again that they created TWW for people of all ages. It was not made with younger kids in mind. So many people assume that because of the cartoony graphics, and it's just not true. I mean, really, the original Zelda had cartoony graphics compared to other NES games of its time, yet it wasn't considered a kids' game. Heck, it was dang hard. Probably very, very few little kids would be able to beat the first quest, let alone the second.

And when you say that it was a lot of the mature gamers that complained about the cel shaded style, you've got it backwards. It was the [i]immature[/i] people that complained. The actual mature people appreciated the style for its complexity and how it went back to the games' graphical roots by being cartoony. Not to mention that, if it came down to it, they'd be able to look past the graphics at how the game actually played even if they didn't like the style. I mean, really, if you base your whole opinion of a game off of its graphics, that's not exactly a mature opinion.
But anyway, about SCII, I don't think it's going to change Link's image. He's already had both the cartoony and realistic look before, so another game in which he's realistic isn't going to change anything. We'll probably see people saying that that's how he should have looked in TWW, but we've already gotten tons of that because of that old Spaceworld trailer. So yeah, this is nothing new, just more of the same.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Please man...you are right in a way about the cartoony link.No offense but it will change Link's image if he was(Wellhe is now)in sc2 because look at it.There are sooooo many fanboys that like halo and ff crap...blah blah blah.And when they see Link in the fighting game for soul calibur 2..it opens their eyes.That Link is cool...Link is 1337.Link owns.But seriously,it would make him better because look at it out now..he's the greatest adventure hero of all time,now in "the greatest fighting game of all time."But if you look at it,it would change it because this is the very first mature fighting game that one of nintendo's first party titles are in(Super Smash Bros is a great game but it isnt as mature but...they are both rated T for teen).So this actuallly helps nintendo and makes the fanboys of xbox and ff that just look up to those games as god and a cold smack of reality hits their face.Link is not kiddy.

[color=indigo]That's exactly what happened when Ocarina of Time was released, though. People saw the un-cartoony 3D Link, and said "Whoa, that's awesome! Link is kick-***!" and things of that nature, just as they'd be saying about Link in Soul Calibur II.

This time, it's just going backwards, I guess you could say. It first went from cartoony (pre-OOT) to realistic (OOT, MM), and everyone thought it was great. Then it went from realistic back to cartoony (TWW), and people complained about Link being "kiddie." (Even though that's how he had always been before OOT and MM). Now for Link's latest appearence, it's gone back to realistic, and people are probably going to complain about TWW again, saying how it would have been so cool if he had looked like he does in SCII. Instead of realistic-to-cartoony complaining about TWW, we now get cartoony-to-realistic complaining about TWW. Same thing, just coming from a different direction, so to speak.

That's why I say this is nothing new, and that Link's image isn't going to change. Everyone has already seen both cartoony and realistic 3D Links, and they saw them both before it was even rumored that Link would be in SCII. That old Space World video of Link and Ganondorf fighting, and then the cel shaded Link in TWW. Everyone has probably already made up their minds about which they like, so seeing another realistic Link probably isn't going to change anyone's mind. (Unless they're just a waffler that goes with whatever's popular at the time).[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
[size=1]I bought the Soul Caibur II game.
I think Link being in the game, Soul Calibur II, is kool. It might get very popular too. Don't ya think?

And Link's image would be not ruined, as Raichu Tamer says. e.e
Legend Of Zelda games would be sell alot if they make new games with the Zelda characters, Like Zelda, Link etc.

And having Link in Super Smash Bros. Melee is very kool. Especially having Zelda/Sheik in the game. I think they're making fighting games with these characters, and who knows? They might be. e.e[/size]