OtakuBoards

Hikaru no Go!

Ayokano

This is a manga and anime about the game Go,and was or is in the weekly Shounen Jump,and I badly want to read both the manga and the whach the anime.[B]Badly[/B]....So is it out in the USA yet?

If you are to lazy to sreach for a Hikaru No Go site,I will give you a basic run down of the manga and anime.Or also known as "The Story"

Rummaging through his grandfather's attic in search of something valuable to fetch some money, Hikaru stumbles across an ancient GO board. He noticed something which others did not, a trace of bloodstain on the board. Upon hearing a voice from the board, Hikaru passed out. The spirit trapped for a thousand years, Sai, then possesed Hikaru's body and this is how the story goes.
A professional Go player, Sai lived in the olden dynasty where he coached the ruler of that dynasty, the game of GO. Unfortunately, jealousy brewed amongst other coaches where another coach plots to remove Sai. Through a death-match, it was to determine which coach is to stay and sadly, the other coach cheated and as Sai was about to reveal the other's evil deed, Sai himself was accused of cheating in return by the other coach. Greatly unsettled, Sai was eventually led to his loss in the game and having no other skills to depend on for survival, Sai ended his life by drowning himself a few days later.

I got this info on this site,I didn't want to get into trouble,so credit must go to this [url=http://www.geocities.com/j_homma83/hikaru_intro.html]site[/url].

So that is all,I have seen sites and read the story,and I know this will be good.I saw on site that reviewed it and gave it a 4 or 5,out of 5.

I think most of the character designs are great,and the artwork is good.I like Hikaru's character design the most,but all the other character's designs are good.I just think Hikaru's is better then most.

The story really sounds alot like Yu-Gi-Oh,but the anime of Yu-Gi-Oh....Or atleast the dubbed anime....Should pray this never gets to the USA.I hope this is never put on air,because I would hate to see what would happen to it...Like the Yu-Gi-Oh anime and the soon Shaman King anime.

I think I will take up Go...And speaking of Go,is Umezawa Yukari still the number one player?Could someone tell me if she is.Also Umezawa Yukari is this lady.

[img]http://www.gogameworld.com/pic/meize1.jpg[/img]

The character's back storys are also good,each having there own,and very diffrent.You don't have a real badguy,but Hikaru has rivals,and Hikaru is a rival to some also.There is no "The good guy will always win" rule,unlike most anime.Some times Hikaru losses,sometimes he wins.That may be the best thing about the manga.

The only thing I can say bad about is that I have not seen the anime,or have right now currently reading the manga.Thus I do not know nothing about,so I guess I will go and try to find it.

This is, in my opinion, the greatest manga ever made.

The story both follows and deviates from the shonen sport.game norm, has perfectly developed(and matchable...) characters.... The game is interesting, though you wouldn't think so. It's genius.

It's coming to Shonen Jump USA in January, so look out for it.... Especially look out for the bad translations, names being changed, and kids who think they are the biggest fans ever for reading 2 chapters ^_^

Heh, I've never actually [i]seen[/i] it or read it, but I will be happy to become a fan of it over time, especially when it comes out in SJ...

The plot sounds really cool, taking a game like go and making it so exciting.. Plus there are no needs for creature design in it (like there are in Yu-Gi-Oh!) so that might take away some of the corniness of the battles.. Or duels.. Or whatever they call games of Go in Hikaru no Go's translated version..

[quote]
[i]Genkai originally wrote:[/i]
[b] It's coming to Shonen Jump USA in January, so look out for it.... Especially look out for the bad translations, names being changed, and kids who think they are the biggest fans ever for reading 2 chapters ^_^
[/b]
[/quote]

Hm.. I thought it was coming in November.. -_- Well, they would have probably said that by now in SJ... *tilts head* Bad translations? Does Viz really do that with Jump? (I mean, I see some pretty stupid lines in Yu-Gi-Oh!, but I thought that was intended) But all of the characters' names are always kept the same in the magazine though.. Apart from DBZ once in a while.. Right? Otherwise Manta would be Morty and Anzu would be Tea..

I, however, know I am the biggest Hikaru no Go fan ever, despite the fact that I have only seen two pages of manga. ~_^

(That was a sarcastic joke)

You'd be surprised... They do change lines about 80% of the time, oftentimes you'll see the other translations adn think of it a much better than the other stuf.f..

Name changing, I mean mostly in naruto... I mean, Doppleganger? I doubt Naruto could even say that ("Doppula-what?") Ninja Centerfold? Would it hurt them to say no Jutsu once in a while? I hope Rock Lee straightens them out...

Oh, and the book is acutally coming in November, though it will premier in SJU in January (weird huh?)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Genkai [/i]
[B]You'd be surprised... They do change lines about 80% of the time, oftentimes you'll see the other translations adn think of it a much better than the other stuf.f..

Name changing, I mean mostly in naruto... I mean, Doppleganger? I doubt Naruto could even say that ("Doppula-what?") Ninja Centerfold? Would it hurt them to say no Jutsu once in a while? I hope Rock Lee straightens them out...

Oh, and the book is acutally coming in November, though it will premier in SJU in January (weird huh?) [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, I was HOPING Yugi didn't say "Oop, looks like he likes fast food too!".. But have you read the original Japanese manga, so you know how it really was, or do you just find the fan-translations or whatever they would be considered more cool?..

^_^' Doppleganger, is a stretch, I realize that.. In Japan, it was called "Shadow Clone", or "Bushin no Jutsu" And Naruto's "special attack" (Any Naruto fan knows what I mean, I just don't wanna type it..) Is the Sekushi no Jutsu, Art of the Shexy. Heh, uh.. o_o ..Yeah. But for those who know darn near nothing about the Japanese language, I guess that it would be more convenient for them to put in some pseudo-cool English names..

Wait.. So the Hikaru no Go graphic novel is starting in November, but'll be in Jump in the new year? o_O Whoa.. That's an original one I don't recall. Well, there may be a reason I can think of that might be sorta logical to that. Maybe they just want to start a new year with a new manga.. To celebrate their 1-year anniversary.

*should probably work in marketing for some big company as an adult. :p*

Well, I've never read the manga ranslated in any other way besides Naruto (a mixture of japanese and scanlations), and Shaman King (mostly japanese, only the first volume), but I know the names of the stuff they've changed.. But, yeah, I guess it's better for the English fans, I just don't like it.

I seriously hope they keep the go slang though (yose, nigiri, etc.)

• 1 year later...
I've always been a big fan of the game GO I'm glad someone has decided to make a manga about it. I reccommend that everyone here start learning how to play. Also thanx to this new anime the average children players of GO have increased by over 30% all thanx to this manga.

This manga isn't the best I've ever seen like the characters for instance. Fujiwara No Sai looks like a woman when he's actually a man. Akira Toya also looks like a female. However once I looked passed all the flaws and into the story itself I realised that this was infact a great manga.

I have just one question. since Hikaru was able to see Fujiwara No Sai and was possesed by him does that mean that he is a shaman or shamanic potential?