OtakuBoards

No Backpacks--concerning problem?

Patronus

Poo.. I wished they let us carry backpacks around school, it completely sucks carryin 4 1 inch binders and 3 textbooks around, and not being able to go to my locker (it's way out of the way).. Most people can't go to their lockers anyway, since we have 3 mins beteen classes.. what's really effed up is that the high school CAN carry backpacks around between class, and they have FIVE MINUTES between classes?what the f?

[size=1] How could I survive without a backpack....

Well, our lockers are pretty small, so it gets annoying when there's hardly any space for me to shove my backpack in, but it's better than no backpack at all.

I think the 'No Backpack' rule was made with best intentions [though nothing ever good comes of that...]. It's scary to think about some outcast who just got dumped raid your school and kill people. =_= I could live without a bookbag. Our school doesn't allow bookbags during the school day, anyway.[/size]

Huh. I wonder why middle schools don't allow backpacks. Mine didn't, and neither does the one here. It would be ridiculous if violence was the reason, because high schools are generally more violent than middle schools. I went to a very nice middle school, and never witnessed a fight there, though there were some. And backpacks are allowed at many high schools, except for some of the ones mentioned here. I don't even use my locker, I just carry everything in my backpack. So why don't middle schools allow backpacks?

Guest Pyckelo
I must really be out of it, I didn't know any school stopped students from having backpacks. Anyhoo, my middle school allowed them, and I've witnessed many fights, and weapons, as well as drugs on campus. And the proctors and cops dont do anything. Most fights were out in front of the school, where teachers and our caop would stand next to the buses, and stood there, pretending everything was okay. I'm in high school now, and I don't expect things to get much better.

[SIZE=1]That is one of the stupidest concepts. :therock: Violence can accure with almost any object, as most of you have mentioned.

At my middle school we weren't allowed to carry our backpacks all day, we put it in our locker. You could go to your locker anytime during the day. This wasn't because of violence, just inconvieniance. The school was only one floor.

Now at my high school we're allowed to carry our backpacks all day.

The one thing Columbine has affected in my school district is IDs. We have to where them everyday. They are held with a green lanurd(sp?) around your neck with the name of our school district, the year, you're picture on both front and back, and you're birthdate. If you don't wear them then you can get detensions or suspended. This is so they know that we are a student of the school; if you wear someone elses' or steal someones you can also get detensions. Its a very strict system.
This started last year; they were more leniant then but people took advantage of it. They do get in the way sometimes; the card gets caught on a desk as you're standing up and snaps off.[/SIZE]

My school allows bookpacks, but we do wear IDs. It doesn't require any specific laniard (sp??) and they pass out yarn to hold it up (LOL we're poor), and it has one picture on one side. Its usually strictly enforced for a couple weeks, or a month or two, but then nobody wears em.

I think pretty much everyone agrees that this is a load of crap.

Dangerous stuff can be pretty much hidden everywhere; does the school board really think that students only carry dangerous items in the backpacks? How naive can they get?

Luckily, backpacks are still allowed in my district, though there are random checks every once in a while (especially near the end of the school year). I have no idea how I would survive without one - I sure as hell wouldn't be able to carry all that heavy crap in my arms. Especially considering that the only lockers that work in our school are the P.E. lockers.

So, basically, that rule gets rid of one "problem" and brings out a ton of new problems.

i think not being able to carry around backpack is stupid now that im in a different school that has two stories (without the basement) and i have to go from the basement all the way up to the top then back down to the mid floor *sigh* i wish i had my backpack to carry around instead of just the books

and with the voilence thing people are still going to find ways to get there weapons in there anyway

Hell we got a lot of kids with big poofy-aphro-like hair.. I have seen them take out knives from their hair and cut cords, strings, sticks etc. (practical, no?) so our school doesn't do that good of a job keeping the weapons out. But thats ok. Everyone loves each other at my school.

Half of the population at my school would struggle to keep up with the time-table, if we had a rule like that. Heck, we even have contests for the people who have the flashiest-looking backpacks.

Sure, kids around here use their ports for stealing, to look cool, etc. And, the hell are we going to cope with a rule that barrs backpacks, if they can't even afford to give the Year 12 kids lockers?!

Man, I feel sorry for you. Large ports can cause back problems, but how many people do you see walking around with a serious life-threatening disease, from wearing a backpack at school. Not one in ten, no, more like one in one-hundred-million.

I understand it puts quite a good block on the weapons part, kids aren't going to walk into school carrying a .22 rifle without being noticed. They need the backpack.

Schools should realise that this kind of rule can make it alot harder for students attending school. Maybe they do realise, maybe they don't. They probably won't do anything about removing the rule unless a few students take a stand against it.

heh heh heh, if my school didn't allow backpacks, then there would be a riot.

Considering that there is well over 1,000 ppl at my school, the administration would probably be overwhelmed.

However, I dont think that if you dont use a backpack, you dont have violence. I know beating someone with your backpack is fun and all..............but come on.

In all seriousness, if someone is intent on getting a weapon into school, they will. Whether or not you know about it. if you do know about it, and they seem somewhat unstable, take steps to either help the person psychologically, or get th authorities knowledge about it.

Even if I do want to shoot somebody right now(dreams) I would hope that somebody caught me, so I didn't hurt anybody but the person I was going for(physically of course)

EDIT: Yeah, we have ID's to, and they just started getting anal about them. We have a maroon lanyard with the name of the school on it. It used to be as long as the ID was attatched to you somehow, then it was ok. now it must be around your neck, or you get a detention. Repeat offenders get saturday school. Yippee freaking skippy right?