OtakuBoards

Kodocha fans?

Megumi

[size=1]My friend is a huge fan of Kodocha, and owns nearly all of the mange that has been released in America. Apparently the story mimics her life on several occasions, and she can relate to some of the more serious problems they have been through. It's strange to see her get so emotional about it, but in spite of that she is remains a loyal reader.

I haven't read any myself, though.

-Shy[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
Kodocha is one of my most favorite series! I have all the manga that has been released so far in the US(1-9). I think it's hailarous sometimes..but sometimes it gets more serious and dark....yeah but someday I'm hopin I can buy the anime cause I've heard it's suppose to be good. Yeah the characters are AWSOME! I really love the story too...(as if you couldn't tell)

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkblue]I've already made a thread about this, but whatever.
I LOOOOVE Kodocha! It is my favorite manga series. I've never seen the anime though. I have all but the 9th book so far.
Akito is my favorite character, he is so awsome, and he looks mighty fine too.:D Miho Obana has totally captured in this interesting comedy, that later turns into a semi-romanse/drama thing. Just my kind of manga. If you wish to have long dicusions about Kodocha with me... PM me![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=indigo]
Squeee! I love Kodocha! But I didn't know that the ninth one had come out! MUST BUY KODOCHA 9!

I think I like it because it's a pretty accurate portrayal of pre-teen romance. All the angst, the tears, the "oh-she-hates-me-what-will-I-do?" speeches, etc. And it's insanely cute. And at times, just plain insane.

All in all, me likey! *dashes off to find Kodocha #9*
[/color]

[color=green][b]Yea! I love Kodocha! I was actually introduced to it by Chichiri's Girl...I don't even know how long ago. I've been borrowing the GNs from her, as I do most of the shoujo manga I read. I love the story line for Kodocha, never a dull moment. Tsuyoshi and Hayama ((aka- Leopard Boy!))) are my favorite characters. And I can't wait for the next volume! *pokes Chichiri's Girl and says, "Send now!"*

-Erin
"I don't hate it." -Hayama Akito[/color][/b]

[size=1] I actually find it very weird for a manga to be about middle-schoolers carrying on a serious relationship. A bit young, if you will.

I guess that's the main thing that's keeping me away from it. The art style doesn't interest me either. *shrugs* I've read on manga of Kodocha, and another main reason I didn't like it is because I really don't like romance manga/anime. My friends at church are utterly [i]obsessed[/i] with it, though.[/size]

I find it very amusing, though the art style is a little lacking and it does sort of disturb me that the main characters are only 13, (though not as much as some of the pairings in your signature disturb me, maladjusted) but I still find myself loving it. I do think Obana-san would've been better off to keep the story in a high school environment as she first thought to.

• 1 year later...
I know this is a real old thread, but I'm new! (and those posting rules worry me)!

Anyway, Kodocha was the second anime I ever saw that wasn't on TV and the first anime I saw subbed (it was on VHS!). That was long ago. I also love the manga because the characters are so awesome. So I wanted to announce that the anime is coming to DVD *finally* in august. Funimation is doing it but I don't really care who does it because I'm watching it subbed anyway. Gotta love Hayama Akito! :animesmil

Guest Puchiko
Oooo...I've seen the show and read the whole manga series.Book 1-5 was kinda wierd,though.The characters are too different.Also,the show was too different from the manga.Akito looked odd. :animestun

• 3 weeks later...
I just got volume 1 + the Babbit box in the mail. Kodocha is the first new (well, new to R1) show I wanted to watch after my absence, and I'm [i]so[/i] glad I picked it. I was planning to see the full disc before posting, but the beginning episode alone has me so giddy that I just have to say something about it.

The artbox is a nice, slick piece--probably a little too purple for some, but I like the inside artwork and the crazy Sana on the back. It's a fold-out style similar to the one FUNimation used for the Fruits Basket box set. Also worth noting is that it comes with a Babbit purse/bag--which is pretty unisex in terms of design, though still cute. The disc itself has a nice peppy cover, and I like the menus as well. Basically, Funi has given Kodocha a wonderful release in terms of packaging and such.

Yet that's not all, of course. Kodocha has incredibly good word of mouth, and I'm starting to discover why. The first episode had me laughing hysterically, frozen to my seat with excitement and even feeling nostalgic. As I say frequently, I don't like most comedic anime, but I found myself left in stitches about every five minutes.

The animation is quite good, despite the show's age, and the character designs are nice too. It's kind of cool to see something cel-animated (hand-painted, that is) coming out alongside far more recent anime. Akitaroh Daichi's brand of humor really shines through; I'd recommend this show high and low regardless, assuming it keeps up its level of quality, but those who enjoyed the comedy in Fruits Basket and Jubei-Chan should have an extra incentive to give Kodocha a look.

Well, I'm off to finish volume 1. Kodocha just leapt straight to the top of my purchasing pile. :animesmil

EDIT: One more thing--the dub is quite simply one of the best dubs I've ever heard. I'm planning to watch it subbed as well, but I really encourage people to at least give the dub a cursory listen. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to produce (you know, with all the hyperness, not to mention Sana's rapping).

~Dagger~

Guest animecrazy
im a huge fan of kodocha i have read and own all 10 manga and bought the 1st dvd just recently i would have bought it sooner but i had spent my money on the ayashi no ceres dvds (both box sets) ;) yep yep.....KODOCHA ROX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :catgirl: sry had 2 do it lol

One thing I forgot to note earlier: FUNimation was unable to get the rights to the first opening song, "7:00 News," so the second opening, "Ultra Relax," is going to be used for all 102 episodes. Moreover, the lead singer of the band behind 7:00 News has a cameo in the first episode, and the song itself pops up from time to time; because they weren't allowed to have the singer's name mentioned or to play the song itself at any point, Funi had to implement a couple of audio drop-outs. I believe these affect the next episode previews as well.

This would never have been a make-or-break issue for me, but I have to commend the company for their honesty about it. They made it known many months in advance, and also included a small explanation of the drop-outs on the DVD itself.

Some of the dub dialogue has been toned down (in a manner similar to the toning down of Kaleido Star's dub script) here and there, i.e. when Sana refers to Rei as her pimp and when the gay hairdresser comments about him. If I'm not mistaken, though, she did call him her pimp in episode 4--it was a very swift & passing bit of dialogue, but I'm taking it to mean that they won't change every single instance of it, which is nice. I can't honestly complain, as the dub is perfect in virtually every other respect, and I really, really hope they somehow manage to get Kodocha on TV.

In case you haven't guessed, I loved the remainder of the disc. The story is moving along much faster than I had expected, which is great.

~Dagger~