OtakuBoards

Rap vs. Rock. Why can't we be freinds???

Zen

Well, I don't like rap at all, but because different genres of music won't affect what happens to a person eternally, I really don't give a flip if someone wants to listen to rap music no matter how bad I think it is. I will say that people have a right to like stupid things, and that's my oppinion, I don't mean to offend anyone but It's simply my oppinion, why should you care what I think? Anyhoo, I will also say that there is, in my oppinion, a lot of crap in the rock industry too so I don't just not like rap, there's a lot of rock I don't like either.

rock fans dont like rap fans because rockers are supposed to be white and rap fans are supposed to be black and people arent comfortable with other races just yet..

Rap is seen as the "best" music around here in school. You see kids with headphones and ask them what they're listening too, they say "In Da Club" or "Without Me". You don't hear any of them saying any kind of rock, if even sort of.

It's just not cool for us kids to listen to rock. Listen to rap and hip-hop and all that.... stuff, and we're cool. Because the "rapper singers" are cool. Listen to a rock band, and you're an *******, because no-one has ever heard of the band.

That's the way it is. Rap is cool, because the artists are apparently cool. You don't get the lead singer of Metallica going down the street wearing the big baggy t-shirt, loose jeans, and the diamond necklace. That's what's cool in fashion. That's why rap is cool.

I tend to notice that all the "rockers" I know, know alot more rock artists that I like, aswell as knowing the main rap artists. All the "rappers" I know, don't have the greatest idea of how an electric guitar sounds.

I'm not trying to be offensive at all, I'm describing what it's like around here. Please don't take offense to my post. Don't get me wrong, I like a few rap songs here and there, that "Superman" by Eminem is pretty good, though I wouldn't listen to it if I had a choice of that and some rock. No way.

Yes, I do hate rap. Though I don't see anything wrong with it if somebody else likes it. I can get along with somebody that likes rap and I hate it, that's not a problem. I don't see fans fighting too much about it. Obviously Marilyn Manson likes rap, if he didn't, why would he of done a song with Eminem?

I find it that people have their own opinions, that people can like what they want, and they can stilll get along. I don't see why people would fight if they have disagreements about something as little as music. I just call that being selfish, obnoctious, and last but not least stupid. It's our choice to like what we want, we can still get along. I get along fine with people that like rap and I hate it. Infact they are on of my best friends.

I'm all for the rock/ rap thing. Like linkin park, limp biskit, ect..

It's all good to have raps in with some hard core metal or bass guitars. I say if it sounds good what does it matter.

Im love the way brad and chester make the sound of linkin park the way it is..and Joe Hahn's mixes in the background are super sweet.

I love em both...but I HATE HATE HATE POP!!! So as long as all rappers and rockers don't kill each other, I'll be happy. Why don't the pop stars kill each other off, that would be comedy to see Britney and Jessica Simpson catfighting to the death. hehehe!

I like rock. All rock, a little metal... and Punk. I don't like rap. I don't like rap because of the way.... the people are just speaking really fast at a beat. I also like Linkin Park, being mostly rock and some rap. And the fact that Rock bands sing is what I like in them. But I don't hate rap OR people who like rap. I have friends who like rap.

~Xaru Silverfire

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by troopa [/i]
[B]rock fans dont like rap fans because rockers are supposed to be white and rap fans are supposed to be black and people arent comfortable with other races just yet.. [/B][/QUOTE]

Uhhu hummm.

Eminem-White-Rap
Hootie from Hootie and the BLowfish- Rock-black
The Roots-Mixed Genre-Black
Drummer fron Kid Rock-Rock-Black
Bubba Sparks-White-Rap
Pharrel-is a skater-sings chorus-black

There are man more, i jsut can't remeber there names. But there widly popular.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo [/i]
[B]Uhhu hummm.

Eminem-White-Rap
Hootie from Hootie and the BLowfish- Rock-black
The Roots-Mixed Genre-Black
Drummer fron Kid Rock-Rock-Black
Bubba Sparks-White-Rap
Pharrel-is a skater-sings chorus-black

There are man more, i jsut can't remeber there names. But there widly popular. [/B][/QUOTE]

Kid Rock is rock?!
And you also left out Jimmy Hendirx.

But what Troopa said is correct. About 90% of the people who listen to rock are white.

60% of people who listen to rap, are black.

I like rock, and only rock. But not for that reason. I don't like rap because it isn't my style.

I would have to sat that there is some sort of a battle because people go around saying, "Rap is crap". Then someone else says "R[i][b][u]ock[/i][/b][/u] is :bleep:"

I have no clue where you are getting these statistics. In every interview with a rap persona or executive I've seen, when the issue of race is brought up, they're quick to point out that a majority of rap is bought by white people (It's between 51 and 60%, or something like that).

I severely doubt that anything near 90% of rock purchases are made by white people. The other problem is that there are races outside of black and white. These numbers don't make much sense to me.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo [/i]
[B]But they are more popular. Oh, and the whole shot nine times thing. Listne, 50 Cent isn't nevre marketed that himself, its his producer. I never saw him say it himself. He really doesn't care about it. So, you can't bomb 50 about that. [/B][/QUOTE]

This is a bit belated, but I don't hear 50 playing it off. He wears a bulletproof vest on stage for christ sakes. I wouldn't consider bringing up the point "bombing" 50 cent, it's a well known fact that he pisses off other gangs. He probably said that a few times, played it off. Either way, a bulletproof vest is going to raise some eyebrows, no?

90%, 60% [i]what?[/i]

The majority of hip-hop/rap fans are white. A lot of rappers bring this up. The best example would be at old MC Hammer concerts, where, for the first time, there was an overwhelming majority of white people at his concerts than there were black people or any other race. And like Semjaza said, there are other races to take into account, here.

I think I read somewhere that 83% of all statistics are made-up.

For as long as hip-hop has been popular, there have been those who fuse it with rock. The two are similar in so many ways, and a lot of people don't seem to realize that. Both get a bad rep (especially when it comes to influencing teens). Both have prominent drums and strong bass lines. [i]All[/i] good music is driven by strong emotion. Both have been banned from radio for trying to push the envelope. MTV over-plays both. And they have one very important thing in common. Pop.

Listen to an old NSync song and tell me that the synthesized beats don't sound like hip-hop with rock-esque synth-guitar rifts. Listen to Pink's last album and say that "Don't Let Me Get Me" borders too closely to both genre. You can't. The "Pop" music that so many rock and rap fans claim to hate is nothing but an oddly jumbled combination of the two.

When you blend rock and rap in different ways, you may get Linkin Park, Britney Spears, or NERD/Neptunes. Combining the two is how we get some of the most popular music today. The way I see it, these two genre will continue to fuse until there's no pure, untainted form left of either.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm just gonna sit back and listen to what comes up, and like it. Well, some of it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]This is a bit belated, but I don't hear 50 playing it off. He wears a bulletproof vest on stage for christ sakes. I wouldn't consider bringing up the point "bombing" 50 cent, it's a well known fact that he pisses off other gangs. He probably said that a few times, played it off. Either way, a bulletproof vest is going to raise some eyebrows, no? [/B][/QUOTE]

Every rpaper has a hook. 50 Cent has custom made Bullet proof vests. Missy Elliot is wacky and surreal. Ludacris nad Master P are south representors. Snoop is a pot head and pimp. Busta Rhymes is a goof ball. P Diddy and Jay Z are multi millionaires who make money not jsut from the rap game, but from clothing, facilities, and alchol (Jay Z has a brand of Vodka.) There is a hook to every rapper.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm a rocker, but I do listen to SOME rap. Rap today just isn't what it used to be. They all talk about the same things: Sex, money, girls, guys, etc. I know rock talks about that too, but it's just the way rappers put together their words and stuff (their very graphic). Now I do like Eve and Outkast. They're pretty cool.