OtakuBoards

Rap vs. Rock. Why can't we be freinds???

Zen

Alright. I have noticed that offend times Rap fans hate rock and rock fans. I have noticed that Rock fans hate rap and rap fans. Why is this? Sure, Rappers don't 'sing' in there songs, but they have quicker and more lyrics than rock songs at the same lenght. And rock stars don't have as good rhyming or as many lyrics as most rap stars, but they have much better voices, by far. So, there evened out pretty well. They offend times sing or rap about hte same things. Girls, Fame, money, and there lives, or there thoughts on events that have heppened in the world. So tell me, why can't we get along? I saw the lead singer from Eveanessnce rapping to Missy Elliot on MTV. I saw DMX and Eminem bobbing there heads to Life Styles of the "Rich and the Famous"at the VMA's. The artist get along, why can't the fans?

What are your thoughts on this subject?

The artists also have to watch out for cameras and such at those shows. If they act all pissed off at the show, a tabloid can spin it into whatever the hell they want to really. It's mostly publicity.

I guess people just hate what they don't understand. I don't like most rap that I hear, but I don't hate rap itself. I don't go around saying it sucks either. I guess people just have to come to terms with the fact that if you don't like something, it doesn't make you right and everyone else wrong... especially in something as subjective as music.

yeah, but the singer from EveanEssence was singing "Work It"perfectly. She knew all the words. And, agian at the VMA's, i saw that, 50 Cent i believe, lipping the words to Life Styles as well. Some of the artist really do like the songs. And the artist don't have to look POed, they jsut don't have to bob there heads, in whihc Em and DMX were both doing.

Guest Anime_Forever
Hey I rp in the arena, all my friends like rap and I like rap but I hardly ever listen to it. Im a rocker. Linkin Park, Slipknot, Disturbed, rock rocks. But I also listen to Eminem, 50, Nelly, and more. So yeah Im a rap rocker and Im proud.

I know all of the words to The Call by the Backstreet Boys. It doesn't mean anything lol. I don't run around buying their stuff, nor do I really care for them on any level.

There are many split up genres like that as it is. Punks and metalheads are supposed to hate eachother for whatever reason. People just like to hate things they don't understand/enjoy. Others perhaps don't like the commercial rap industry or whatever else. I know I really don't. Most people don't go past that superficial surface to discover that there are other, better things out there.

People can hate whatever type of music they want, I don't really care. Not many seems to love most of what I do as it is. Some people just like to force their opinions out like that, I guess.

I mean, I don't like any of the bands/musicians you've mentioned so far at all. I do listen to some hip hop stuff, just like I listen to other genres. I personally don't see the big deal, so I guess I can't fully explain why people do it.

The reasons that I hate rap:

[b]Explicit lyrics[/b] - It's not that I'm totally against swearing, it's just that it's easy to say the f-word a hundred times in a song. If they really knew how to write songs, they would find a better way to express something than just swearing.

[b]The attitude[/b] - I can't stand the way that rappers act. They need to get it through their heads that they're not as cool as they think they are. Drop the ego. No one cares how many times you got shot, how many "*****es you've ****ed", or how many diamonds are in your ridiculous-looking necklace.

[b]Monotony[/b] - The beats to rap songs are so repetetive and most of the time, downright annoying.

I could go on, but I think I've said enough for now.

Edit: [b]Making up words[/b] - This is one of the worst parts about rap music. Can anyone truly tell me what "Bia Bia" means? Give me a break. :rolleyes: Then there's the "urrr" and "izzle" stuff. People actually emulate this speech and it makes them sound like fools.

Metalheads hate the punk rockers. The punk rockers hate rappers. Rappers hate rockers. Rivetheads hate ravers. It's an endless cycle.

I think the reason rap is a sort of rival to rock is because they are basically fighting for the dominant genre. Nu-metal and pop-punk are in right now, and rap pretty much needs to fight to keep it popular.

[size=1]

Maybe that's because some singers don't want to sing about sex, girls, and money in rhyming lines/stanzas. I think any good singer can ryhme. Can you ryhme? I know I can. Everybody can. Rappers would also have to have good singing voices as well. I don't think anyone can really 'rap' and have an absolutely horrible singing voice. It's nearly impossible. I mean...anyone who raps well.
Most talented artists probably understand other music genres.

--I really think this whole fight is stupid. It's not like rap fans will actually ban rock, and vice versa. Everyone has their own opinion, so ignore it if you don't like it.[/size]

Rap vs. Rock - The Never ending, yet extremely retarded, battle.

It is funny how some people rag on one or another, yet still listen to it. I mean, if you are going to sit and complain about it, why the heck are you listening to it? Obviously, to be able to bash a genre, you have had to of heard songs in that genre. For the love of [Enter your favorite Deity here], change MTV2/Fuse/VH1/etc or 92.3/107.5/XXX.X station and listen to something else if you hate [Enter your choice hated genre] so damn much!

Is it so hard to actually change the channel/station? And please, do not give me the excuse, "Oh, but it is everywhere!!" Umm..yeah..so? No one is gluing headphones to your ears and playing 50 Cent / Creed / Britney Spears / Garth Brooks.

*Sighs*

I like everything. One day I could be listening to Disney Mania (don't ask), the next day Eminem. I like rap, rock, hip-hop, classical, country, J-pop, even the Beatles! :sweat: It just depends on what mood I'm in. And that also goes with my style. One day I could dress punk or goth and the next I could dress like a happy schoolgirl. I'm a very varied person. ^-^

You rockers saying that rap suck need to listen ot this.

Alright, i'll admit that many rappers due use the B's, and ho's, and bling bling alot. But the rappers i like, namely the good ones, never use that in there songs. Listen to DMX, Dr.Dre, Eminem, Busta Rhymes, and Missy Elliot. I do admit to liking a few of the more derogatory rappers, yes, but the ones like that i like don't use purely hte BLing Bling thing. Like 5o Cent.

Now, on another note, the whole "urr" thing, isn't a made up slang, its Mid-Western accent. WHy do you think that only Nelly and Chingy use it? Its becuase there both from St.Louis. its jsut how they talk there. Same for the southern rappers like Master P and Ludacris, who i also love.

But the "Izzle" thing is kinda retarded and thats why i don't like that kind of rap. And that potrays to only a very samll crowd of Snoop Dogg and Jay-Z, but that was just one song, whihc in turn, was a remix.

Now trust me, i love rock. Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Blink 182, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit (before getin rid of the guitarist), the Ramones, and many more. But i also like rap. Yes, they may use alot of swear words, but look at SLip Knot and the other Metal Heads. You really can't afford to be saying that.

Oh, and PS- Maladgusted, your right, anyone can rhyme, but not everyone can make a rhyme tell a story and make since.

I used to be in the mindset that all rap was like the nonsense most people are used to. People rapping about all their women and non-existant riches... stuff like that.

When you think about it though... most every genre has this sort of problem. They all of their clichés, and what we stereotypically think all music in that genre sounds like.

Over the years though, I've discovered there is just far more to it than that. I used to close it all out because I couldn't stand a lot of the stuff on the radio, or those goofy music videos they have. You know, the ones where they all stand in a circle and throw signs at the camera... while the main guy raps and a bunch of girls grind themselves against him.

It's not all like that. I don't know how anyone could think it all is. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy Acrobatik (I always get the c and k confused lol), Handsome Boy Modeling School, NERD, The Roots, Floetic (thanks to Manic for that) and Cibo Matto (although I guess that one is arguable). None of these groups rap about the stuff people are complaining about in here. Most of them actually use real instruments too, in comparison to a lot ofthe annoying mix beats you hear all over the place.

So really they both have something to offer. You just have to delve below the surface I guess. I probably wouldn't like rock either, if all I knew were the most popular, radio friendly groups.

[size=1] I have listened to [i]Where's the Love[/i] by Black Eyed Peas, and I love listening to it when I'm in the mood.

I agree that some rapper artists sing/rap about things other than girls, sex, drug, money, I got shot in nine times, etc. but [i]most[/i] rap does. If you compare artists that sing about the non-cliche stuff and artists who sing cliche, the artists who sing non-cliche are a pretty small amount.[/size]

But they are more popular. Oh, and the whole shot nine times thing. Listne, 50 Cent isn't nevre marketed that himself, its his producer. I never saw him say it himself. He really doesn't care about it. So, you can't bomb 50 about that.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1]I agree that some rapper artists sing/rap about things other than girls, sex, drug, money, I got shot in nine times, etc. but [i]most[/i] rap does. If you compare artists that sing about the non-cliche stuff and artists who sing cliche, the artists who sing non-cliche are a pretty small amount.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

I beg to differ. I see that is the opposite - most true rappers will not sing about the "bling bling" and "money, cash, and girls;" on the contrary, the number of underground true rappers is greater than the number of "big league," mainstream rappers.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo [/i]
[B]But they are more popular. Oh, and the whole shot nine times thing. Listne, 50 Cent isn't nevre marketed that himself, its his producer. I never saw him say it himself. He really doesn't care about it. So, you can't bomb 50 about that. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well...I heard him say that in an MTV2 interview conducted by Sway. It was an hour-long segment about his life and rise to fame.

But, think about it from a business perspective - 50 Cent is locked in a "rap war" with Ja Rule. One of 50 Cent's "trademarks" is that he is hardcore, straight from the hood. He constantly bashes on Ja Rule for being "soft" and "out of touch." So, why not use the "shot 9 times" thing? In many people's eyes, it makes him seem rough and rowdy, and a lot of people can relate.

[size=1] I give in, that's my fault. I basically know nothing about rappers other than the mainstream ones on MTV. Sorry about that.

But the whole 'Hard-core' stuff. What exactly does 50 cent mean by 'hard-core'? There's nothing wrong about being sensitive. [Well, unless you're like Shinji. Then you have some problems.] Ok, call me paranoid, but another thing I don't like about most of these 'hard-core' rappers is that you have to have a certain image. [Yeah, same with practically every other genre of music, but..] I hate to bring this up in an argument about Rock vs. Rappers is that 'hard-core' rappers can't stand gay people. It shows up in their music. [I heard the songs on VH-1 on this show called "Totally Gay" about homosexuality in Hollywood]

Should all rappers have to wear certain clothes, with certain necklaces/chains/etc.?

That, and I don't like to hear the word, "Fu--". [/size]

Yet again. You just described that all hard core rockers dislike gays to. Infact, there more homophobic than rappers are. Its just eminem who made fun of gays and thats it. And again with the necklaces and jewlery. Its just the rap fab. Like, why do all punks were old bad t-shirts that are too small and tight jeans and ties and dress hightwaters and old converse? Its jsut a fad for the artist.

My true belief is that everyone should listen to whatever makes them happy... If the music makes them feel happy, or however they want to feel at that point, or makes them think, then the music is good and has done its job.
That's all it's really here for, isn't it? The music. Been like that for thousands of years, an essential of a culture. The world would go mad without music, but that would never happen because music takes on all sorts of forms at any which time.
Music is what humanity, overall, has looked to in its time of pain and happiness; war and peace; love and hate; simple expression.
Rap, any way you try to look at it, is self expression. It stemmed from the moment it began, nothing less, nothing more. In that way, it is the same with rock music, and all the genres. There is no complete genre because we are constantly expressing ourselves in new ways through music.
An ever-branching, ever-harmonizing and disharmonizing melodicly symphonic tree...