OtakuBoards

Confederate Flag

DeathBug

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathBug [/i]
[B]

Harry, even though we are generally on the same side of the issue, it was entirely innappropriate and downright rude to make that statement. Even though I don't agree with what that OBer posted, to instantly assume that their viewpoint is inherantly flawed souly because of their region is wrong.

S/he had a right to his/her opinion, and should not have been personally attacked for stating his/her position.

At the same time, Harry instantly proved my point. "Confederate flag=Racism". He made an instantly degrading judegement on that person because they support that flag.

The reasoning behind that snap-judgement doesn't matter; it occured, and will continue to occur until we in the south disregard that flag. [/B][/QUOTE]
I said his reasoning was flawed because it is flawed. I say his flawed reason came from living in Mississippi. I don't know if you've ever been there or not but they still call black poeple Niggers there. The flag does represent Racism and the only people that argue about that are the ones that either made up their own meaning, or completely clueless to what it means.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Harry [/i]
[B]I said his reasoning was flawed because it is flawed. I say his flawed reason came from living in Mississippi. I don't know if you've ever been there or not but they still call black poeple Niggers there. The flag does represent Racism and the only people that argue about that are the ones that either made up their own meaning, or completely clueless to what it means. [/B][/QUOTE]
ah, i get it now!!
harry is the all knowing, without flaws, perfect in everyway!
thats how he knows that his reasoning is flawed, right?
sorry, harry, but i sure dont live in mississippi, and retards here still call black people the n word....and they wear the flag, but, for reasons unknown.....
and what about what i said earlier, about that show?? did you read that? did they mean racism when they had that symbol?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by lea2385 [/i]
[B]
sorry, harry, but i sure dont live in mississippi, and retards here still call black people the n word....and they wear the flag, but, for reasons unknown.....[/b][/quote]
Do they call it to them in their face? It's not rare to see someone in Mississippi say "yeah it was that ****** over there." It's a little more cleaned up in the cities, but in the towns it's just like that.

[quote][b]and what about what i said earlier, about that show?? did you read that? did they mean racism when they had that symbol? [/B][/QUOTE] It didn't matter what it stood for because back then you could get away with it and not be sued by a black civil rights group.

[color=002E55]Harry, you're still generalising. There are racists [i]everywhere[/i], obviously more in some places than others. Just because someone lives where there are more, it doesn't automatically make their argument flawed.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Red [/i]
[B][color=002E55]Harry, you're still generalising. There are racists [i]everywhere[/i], obviously more in some places than others. Just because someone lives where there are more, it doesn't automatically make their argument flawed.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
That's true, but they also grow up with it and thus find it more acceptable.

Actually, Harry is correct. I know this abot Mississippi, and the same is true of the state in which I live-- Alabama.

Many people here are [i]openly[/i], [i]loudly[/i], and [i]obnoxiously[/i] racist. They are not afrid to call blacks "niggers" nor are many blacks afraid to call whites "crackers". It is an issue from all sides.

Now, Harry is guilty of personally attacking someone, but he is not entirely wrong.

-Justin

When I said I live in Mississippi, that was my point. Down here, the majority of people are racist because the majority of people are rednecks. I'm saying that I'm surrounded by people like that and I still wear the Confederate flag because I believe it stands for something entirely different. In fact, I hardly even see people wearing the Confederate flag anymore, so I've never really seen it as a symbol for something bad.

To assume that I'm racist because of the people I'm surrounded by is highly unfair and irrelevant.

- Ayami

For the record, I'm not a he.

to me, the confederate flag is a symbol of the South and it's history. It's not a 'hate' symbol to me. Being a history major has made me a real ww2 buff. i hunt around ebay and websites all the time looking for authentic ww2 (especially german) things. i have a nazi flag in a glass display frame on my wall. but does that mean i am a nazi and i condone nazi beliefs? no. i have it there because it is a symbol of german (i am part german) history.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by amibasuki [/i]
[B][FONT=arial]as an example, you wouldn't go over to Europe (or anywhere else, for that matter) and wear a swastika patch on your coat, would you? sure, you could justify your wearing it by arguing that the swastika was originally a symbol of peace; but because of what the Nazis did while they were using that symbol, everybody nowadays thinks of it as a symbol for hate, violence, and murder.[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, the original swastika is Sanskrit for "compassion". Hitler and his boys turned it to simply represent a different angle of compassion [as the true swastika is perfectly vertical and horizontal; the Nazi one is diagonal]. Hitler was just an elitist in the beginning. Then he spent out his plans of Holocaust, and thus became a madman. And people only look at it from the outsider's perspective. The Nazis were extremists, yes, but they wholly believed in their cause. They wanted a world where the "perfect human specimen" could live without bother from the "inferior, hairless apes", and live in peace. The Nazis just did what every other nation in history that was the aggressor in wars.

Where is your compassion for the defensless French cities during Henry V's conquest of Normandy though the battle of Angicourt? The women were raped, beaten, the children were killed off, and any men were tortured and let to bleed to death. Or when the Huns rampaged through Europe, pillaging all in their path? The Vikings? Khan?

I'm not condoning the Holocaust. I'm just sick of people mentioning it like genocide hasn't ever been done before.

I support the Confederate flag because it truly represents the south's strong past. The fact that we played such a strong role in the making of the country. The fact that while bloody, we helped shape this countries' history. It's not about Masah Jones or Auntie May, it's about our relatives. Not what they did, but who they were. I am related, I found out a while ago, with one of Napoleon's distant cousins, Andrew LeBlanc, I believe his name was.

And it's about the food, too. That comes from our blended nature. Cajun, Creole, Black, Spanish, Indian, and European. That also bleeds into our very way of lives. We do things our way down here, just like it's been handed down, generation after generation.

I do not support slavery. I disagree with it. I oppose it. But I will stand by why my ancestors did, just as you stand to your bigoted and quick-minded ideas.

I'd also like to mention, specifically to Sharpie, that just because someone is German, they are not automatically a Nazi. I got that kind of racial profiling a few weeks ago, and I was also called a communist because of my Cossack bloodroots [if only they knew], and was also called a backstabber because I'm around thirty percent French.

But you know what? I don't care. It's about what you believe in that matters. Not what everyone else decides they believe in.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by amibasuki [/i]
[B][FONT=arial]as an example, you wouldn't go over to Europe (or anywhere else, for that matter) and wear a swastika patch on your coat, would you?[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

I would, specifically in Poland, just so I could point out how narrowminded and closed off everyone is.

But I must ask; do you mean the original swastika or the Nazi version? I would definatly wear the original, but not the Nazi one.