OtakuBoards

Do you find it hard to breathe?

RPCrazy

I'm a chronic insomniac. I'd go into personal records and stuff like that, but I don't feel like spewing useless info right now. ^_^

What I'm wondering if this: sometimes after 24 hours without sleep, I usually find myself gasping for breath with a very accelerated heart rate and (but not always including) a stitch in my side. Like I've been running for a very long time (which I suppose makes sense, considering my energy status when I get like this).

I know there are more than a few people out there who have a serious lack of sleep in their schedule. You stay up for if not 1 day, several days at a time. Have any of you ever experienced anything similar to this and have you found a way to deal with it (besides getting sleep. lol).

I experienced this same problem. I stayed up until about 2:30 until I actually could fall asleep. I found myself gasping for air at times, and the way I fought it out was by thinking of otakuboards, in happy thoughts, just lying there. I found that it can work, because it dozed me off to sleep.

Another thing that I used to do was go outside and get deap breathes of air, that also helps me calm myself down.

Yeah, but see...I'm not trying to cure my "insomnia"...using the term loosely. I'm awake because I want to be, not because I can't sleep. Anyway...I'm trying to cure the pain and raspy breathing that comes with it.

And having very bad allergies (yay rainy weather! >_

Why do you want to be awake? Just fall to sleep atleast try. If you don't want to fall to sleep the pain is only going to consume you more, and it's going to hurt really bad.

If you can't stay outside try meditating. I'm not kidding, it could help. If you don't want to fall asleep, atleast get the pain off your mind, do something that you enjoy.

[size=1] I suffer from an as yet undiagnosed form of Anxiety, and and I get the hard hard to breathe symptom when I [b]want[/b] to fall asleep.

I found listening to music makes it go away, like relaxing stuff, Pink Floyd's "time" or "Dark Side of the Moon", or venting my anger about it to the tune of Drowning pool's "Bodies" or for me, also praying, i find a deep peace when contemplating eternal; destinys and God. Suddenly it's like it doesn't really matter.[/size=1]

Why do I want to stay awake...

Honestly, I don't know. There's just no desire in me to sleep. I don't feel tired, my mind is still very much awake. Usually I only sleep when my body says "Ok, you've been awake for X number of hours, I have no energy left to give you...[B]you must sleep now![/B]" and I conk out.

Music...hmmm. Music for me is an energy releaser when I am very happy, sad, or angry...the type of music varying on emotion. I don't really associate it with sleep...perhaps I should try that. ^_^

Maybe you find it hard to breath because you are tired and your body has been working all day. All bodies need to rest, it's like machinery, if you keep machinery going non stop for days on end they're going to end up struggling. Everything needs to recharge therefore so do you. To get rid of these breathing problems I suggest you get some sleep, whether your mind wants to or not.

Well, I made that realization in my initial post...though it's not holding much water because I've gotten a considerable amount of sleep since my first post and the rapid heart beat has not regulated itself just yet. Though the stitch in my side is gone, that's a blessing. ^_^

-sighs- Are there no true insomniacs out there who can give me a way out besides sleep? I'm serious, there's gotta be soemthing I can do besides get more sleep... (especially considering I have a class in...2 hours.)

Well, when you sleep, your breathing rate goes way, way down. It may require some conscious thought, but force yourself to breathe less often, and perhaps staying awake won't hurt as much. I'm not an insomniac, but that seems to make sense to me *shrug*.

Yay! My fellow insomniac/s!
Thing is with me... I despise sleep. It's uncomfortable, and I dream things I shouldn't, things I can't have. When I do sleep, I wake up numerous times and have about 7 dreams a night, most of them continuations or related to other dreams I've had. And if it's good, it's sickening, because my mind is in the state of feeling good because my dream was so realistic, but I feel horrible because I know that it wasn't real. It's strange.
Nightime is when I really wake up, when I want to go out and do something, and sleeping is just so uncomfortable... Music is my getaway. Music is air.

I don't understand why people don't like sleeping. To dream is one of the most incredible human abilities. Even if it's a nightmare, the fact that your brain left reality for a while is amazing. It's like total virtual reality. And if anyone here has had a lucid dream or mastered the ability to have lucid dreams, I bet you can't wait until night. And to those who think it's a waste of time, what exactly do you end up doing anyway? Playing games? Watching TV? Is that really anymore productive then giving your body the [B]neccesary[/B] rest for a good day's work?

BTW, insomnia is a serious medical disorder. There's a huge difference between the inability to sleep and staying up because you want to.

Oh yes, and IRT the original post, no. There is no magic way of going days of no sleep without consequences. [B]Go to bed[/B].

Well, I think I've found another reason for me not being able to breathe correctly...

I have a cold. A very bad one that has settled in my lungs. Even with a night's sleep (if you can call it that. I wake up ever couple of hours coughing and hacking up a lung...only to be forced to wake up and take meds. at around 5:30 or 6 in the morning), I still can't take a full breath of air.

So...yeah. That explains most of it, neh? >_<;;

Well, your first post sounded EXACTLY like me lately. I am an insomniac, because I have anemia. Well, here lately I have been just randomly feeling out of breath for no reason. I will be IMing people online, and BAM, it happens. Also, I have seriously been getting that pain in my side.

I think first of all, you should see a doctor (as should I, but oh well). These things are either caused by anemia, which you should look up the signs for, or lack of sleep. Although I didn't have any of these signs until after a very stressful situation not too long ago that I am making sure I will never have to repeat. IM or PM me if you have any questions about insomnia or anemia. I'll go ahead and post a bit more information.

Anemia can be caused by several things. The two that are not fatal/least dangerous, are low amounts of iron, and low amounts of vitamin B12. I have both problems. Thus, I have the following signs of anemia(there are many others):

Easy fatigue and loss of energy
Unusually rapid heart beat, particularly with exercise
Shortness of breath and headache, particularly with exercise
Difficulty concentrating
Dizziness
Pale skin (I am SOO white)
Leg cramps
Insomnia

(Iron only)
Hunger for strange substances such as paper, ice, or dirt
Soreness of the mouth with cracks at the corners

(B12 only)
A tingling, "pins and needles" sensation in the hands or feet
Loss of smell
A wobbly gait and difficulty walking
Clumsiness and stiffness of the arms and legs
Dementia (only when stressed out)
Hallucinations and schizophrenia (only when stressed out)
paranoia (very often)

[size=1] I sometimes get this idea of suffocating and I can't breathe at [i]all[/i]. It's like a wall comes down on me, and I have no idea as to why it actually happens. It just attacks me a random periods of the day, and I have to sit very still and breathe deeply.

*shrugs*[/size]

I get somthing like that sometimes. I'm fairly sure that I already said this in my last post here, but I get something where I'll be sitting there and then bam, I am seemingly out of breath.

The pain in my side hasn't happened in a day or two, but it usually only happens at school. I think half of that is caused by stress.