OtakuBoards

A Perfect Circle

Semjaza

I don't know how many are aware, but some CDs of note came out today... at least for me. The first being David Bowie's Reality, the other being A Perfect Circle's Thirteenth Step. I didn't get Reality since I didn't have the money (in addition to that, they didn't have the limited edition 2 CD set... so screw that).

Anyway, I know there are some APC fans here. For those not familiar, it's basically a rock band made up of some random established artists. The main ones being Maynard of Tool on vocals and Billy Howerdel, who composes the songs.

The lineup has shifted since Mer de Noms. Josh Freese is on drums. Jeordie White has replaced Paz on bass (Paz went to Zwan, which she recently left. Zwan broke up in the past couple days. Jeordie is also known as Twiggy, formerly of Marilyn Manson. He was replaced by Tim Skold). The other notable edition is James Iha, guitarist for the Smashing Pumpkins when they were still together.

[IMG]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AZJXQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/IMG]

Anyway, I've only played the CD a few times. It's rather mellow, overall... although some tracks do get a bit more intense. To be honest, I think it's going to take me some time to get into it. So far, I'm really loving the track called Pet.

The single as of right now is Weak and Powerless, which I'm sure will be on the radio. There's already a video for it on the various music channels as well.

Anyway, if you look around, you can find this for about $12 or so... which I don't think is that bad. It's definitely worth the price from what I've heard so far, but it doesn't seem as though it surpasses Mer de Noms just yet.

[color=indigo]I saw the video for Weak and Powerless today. The song was very mellow, which I thought was odd because my buddy told me that this APC album was going to be harder than the previous?anyway I tend to think that anything Maynard is involved in has to be cool, he has such a wicked voice. I haven?t had a chance to pick up Thirteenth Step yet, but I defiantly suggest checking out Fuse and MTV2 to try and catch a glimpse of the Weak and Powerless video, it is cool in an dark and disturbing kind of way (and it has a naked chick in it :) )?[/color]

I originally saw it online somewhere a few weeks ago. I found the video to be quite dull, personally. It's like five minutes of her basically doing the same thing. It was interesting at first, but just became monotonous lol.

I don't know how heavy I'd call this disc. I mean, some of it is up there. It's probably a bit softer than Mer de Noms overall, but I've not heard that in so long... my memory is fuzzy.

I've played it through about three times now, and it is growing on me. Good sign, I'd say.

Yes, yes I am aware! The 16th is a great day. David Bowie, A Perfect Circle (Loved them since their first album came out in 2000... It's about time, I'd say!), The Darkness have FINALLY released Permission to Land in America (Rejoice!), and Saul William's belated publication of his novel. "Said the Shotgun to the Head"(Yes, I am an... er... 'walking' advertisement) was SUPPOSED to come out Sept. 1st, but no mater how much they push as back we will come back full power! And so today is the day, make haste to your nearest Barnes and Noble to buy this book! And albums, of course. Now I must wait for David Bowie's world tour this year... Ah, how patient I am!

[size=1] If Tool's singer is on vocals, then I have to get the CD. I love Tool, although I haven't heard very much other than [i]Lateralus[/i].

So did Tool break up as well? It seems obviously so...

Mellow I think is my favorite type of music overall I'd say. A lot of the time I am in that mood, and any song that is like that sucks me to mellowness as well. Interpol is a good example of something very numbing and mellow, as are most Pink Floyd songs. And those two are some of my most favorite bands.

I will have to buy this album then.[/size]

[size=1] Ah. I see. And what's your opinion of [i]Mer de Noms[/i] then? Is it also worth buying? It must be, because you seem to have rushed out to buy this album.

Do you also know if Tool has any plans to ever make another CD? I sure hope so. I'm guessing there's probably rumors, and there's factual stuff about it, but I don't really keep up with music news stuff. I should start doing so though.[/size]

Yes, it is worth getting. I think that you in particular would love it, honestly.

In terms of how good it is... Well, it just depends. I know some people who think it's one of the best albums ever released. People whose opinions I actually trust and respect. While I think it's a bit much to call it "best ever", it's damn good at what it does.

On the other hand, Rolling Stone gave it two out of five stars, supposedly. I can't say I generally respect their reviews as it is though... (Strangely that same year, one of the writers listed it as his CD of the year, followed by Holy Wood... a CD that seemed to disappoint most people).

As for Tool, they're on their own schedule and do what they want, when they want pretty much. I have no clue when they might be releasing something new, but I also haven't been keeping up with it.

The next part of the tour for APC is going on now, so obviously not much is likely to happen until that's completed.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][size=1] Ah. I see. And what's your opinion of [i]Mer de Noms[/i] then? Is it also worth buying? It must be, because you seem to have rushed out to buy this album. [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I'd have to say [i]Mer de Noms[/i] is probably my most favorite CD of all time and the one that I always play when I get tired of everything else. I don't have an original copy, just a copy that Ryan made for Anna a LONG time ago that I borrowed and borrowed until Anna just finally gave it to me.

I'm sort of scared to hear the new APC CD because of how much I loved the first one. But Ryan heard most of it and he said that it is very different but in a good way. He should be getting it this week and then I'll have my own copy.

And I love mellow music. I thought [i]Mer de Noms[/i] was pretty mellow, myself.[/color][/size]

I don't know. At this point I'm starting to think I was trying to make myself like this CD more than I actually did. I mean, it's APC. It's Maynard. They have Twiggy, who is one of the better bassists around... He was a major selling point for me, since I love Marilyn Manson.

Now, though, I'm starting to think this CD is a major disappointment. Coming off Mer de Noms, this just isn't special in any respect. That isn't to say that it's [i]bad[/i], but it's a big let down.

Even songs I've liked at first have mediocre and repetitive upon consecutive plays. Generally, if I love a CD and it's done well, I just like it more and more... this isn't a case of me just getting tired of it, it's the case of the buzz of a new CD from a great band wearing off.

Guest Magdalena
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Manic [/i]
[B]Magdalena, please put more effort into your posts. Try explaining the reasons behind your opinions. [/B][/QUOTE]

Alright. I'll get started right... now

Alright, I want to jump manically for joy. I hated Zwan. I'm glad that chick left, I never liked her anyway. They are gone now, only a distant memory only to muddle the image of the Pumpkins. Twiggy shall do so much better for APC, but will he still wear all the crazy makeup?

Obviously, I love APC. It's obvious in my name, and although I look Tool better, no tool name title would be that great for a username. I'm anxious to get the new APC cd, I want it now.

I love how Maynard balances Tool and APC so well, and doesn't consider either band a project band, he considers both his jobs.

Semjaza.. your post makes me sad :(

Paz is simply annoying. Maybe she should stop acting like a spoiled child and pick a damn band to stick with. She's not so amazing that she should have free reign like this. The reason I heard as to why she left Zwan in the first place is that the touring was tiring her out. Eh.

I'd really have to say that Twiggy fits APC more on every level, especially the look. Paz always looked like a cheerleader at a goth convention in half of their photos.

As for Twiggy...

[img]http://www.aperfectcircle.com/photo_gallery/nAz2HYThrEKOA5fG.jpg[/img]

Although I think this next picture answers your question a little better. I can't think of many times when Twiggy smiled, let alone dressed like this heh.

[img]http://www.aperfectcircle.org/images/wtf_band_x.jpg[/img]

Edit - I'll really miss the dresses.

Guest Magdalena
........................................................................................................
........................................................................................................

Wow.

............................................................................................

I'm absolutely shocked.

See he looks nice in that pic... but he went from

[url]http://members.tripod.com/~Twigglet/twiggy69.jpg[/url]

to that look in APC.

Wow.

Guest Magdalena
For some weird reason, I think Twiggy is my next hostage.

Johnny Depp doesn't have his dreads anymore, so I let him free, so I'm kinda hostageless.

[size=1] Well, I am not dissapointed with this CD at all. Maybe it is because I have not heard their first, supposedly better, CD. But whatever it is, that doesn't matter. I love Maynard's voice, and this is just like listening to Tool, except it isn't.

I'd say my favorite track right now would be "The Noose." I really like it towards the end where it just keeps going on with the Halo part. Very nice.

I do not see anything too great about "Weak and Powerless" though. It's decent...but in comparison to the lyrics of the other songs, it's not as good at all.

That's another thing I'd like to bring up...the lyrics. They're great most of the time, and I mean that. From "Pet" to "The Noose" to everything...it's pretty good.

Say hello to the rugs topography. Heh.

Now I really want to get their older CD...mm. It's 20 bucks here. Is that too much of a rip-off? I think so. I guess I'll just have to wait until Tony sends me stuff and hope he sends me their first CD.[/size]

Guest Magdalena
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Munk-a-Dunk [/i]
[B]OMG, that's a very pretty picture of Marilyn Manson... And I don't mean just him, no matter how beautiful he is, I mean the whole band... Um, Magdalena? If Twiggy becomes yer hostage? can I take Ginger Fish hostage? He's the hot blond next to Twiggy... [/B][/QUOTE]

But, but I want him too... Okay, we'll share that blond one.. But twiggy is mine? ok? You'll just get Ginger more, because I'll be busy with Twiggy ;)