OtakuBoards

Bias in the Media

Artemis

[color=green]How can you say that the BBC-BRITISH Broadcasting Corp. is unAmerican?? Did you not notice Tony Blair charging into war right behind Bush??? I know Blair has nothing to do with the BBC, but the was a sizeable following for it in England (please, correct me if I'm wrong, please). I happen to share the opinion that NPR gives a very liberal news, but they also, at least on my station, play the BBC late at night. I like to listen to that to know what is going on outside of Washington and LA and to get a foreign viewpoint on what is Happening in America. It is like taking a poll, info from here, here and here, compare and see if they match up. I live in the Bible belt Midwest, everything here is conservative, except me...Hooray for Kansas. I actually have to seek out my liberal daily dosages. Thank God for newspapers online.[/color]

[color=blue]Well everyone has an opinion so there is always going to be some form of bias in the media. I'm sure there are news stations out there saying that Islamic terrorists are still attacking Amercan soldiers. And I hope, that out there somewhere, there are newstations saying that American Terrorists are still occupying Iraq. Either way someones going to think one is the right story, and think that other story is wrong, and vice-versa.
Bias is just someone telling it the way they think it is.
I just have pity on everyone who doesn't get to see CNNNN. It was fantastic.[/color]

Guest cloricus
Meh America has a very bias media, I've noticed it in the reporting and the agendas that stations have and it is so obvious it is a testament to how stupid the general populus really can get. The leaving out and selective including of facts and information plus the inferences are disturbing. (Time for some stats.) 74% of Americans believe that Saddam used chemical weapons on their troops in GW2, 53% believe that Hussein ordered the attacks on America in 2001, 22% believe Saddam personally carried out the attacks on the buildings. (Jesus, I did a double take on that stat when I read it but it is from a reputable source and just shows that some people are born without logic. And now back to the argument.)

But in general the media is rather good and can be believed (even though James doesn't agree and believes that only his cable tv shows the true story) in most cases, and I welcome in schools the addition of the "questioning the media" into the syllabus and I had the pleasure of attending. (We got to watch tv for like 4 weeks and the only stuff we had to do was learn about bias and how it affects people and their views for the worse or better plus how to identify our own biases and see them in other people.) It to me is one the best things I have been introduced to schools, teaching people not to believe every thing they see and giving them incentives to go further is a good thing and helps to keep society transparent to a good extent.

As for CNNNN (Chaser Non-stop News Network - Yes you can count.) all segments can be watched at [url]www.CNNNN.com[/url] and I leave you with their motto that should be adopted at the real CNN.

"[i]We report, you believe.[/i]"

(Sorry about my grammar in this post, I really am too tired to try and fix it. I will tomorrow morning though.)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Molleta [/i]
[B][color=green]How can you say that the BBC-BRITISH Broadcasting Corp. is unAmerican?? Did you not notice Tony Blair charging into war right behind Bush??? I know Blair has nothing to do with the BBC, but the was a sizeable following for it in England (please, correct me if I'm wrong, please).[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Because BBC is anti-American. Every single one of their articles has a slant towards the poor moslems that are being executed by American weapons by the evil jews that are also faking the holocaust.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Harry [/i]
[B]No, it's more like "Look at what AMERIKKKA is doing to this children!!!! WElL NOT DIRECTLY DOING BUT THROUGH ISRALeE... WELL THEY WERE ONLY RETALIATIGN TO TERRORISTs!!! BUT EVIL AMERIKKKA!!!!" [/B][/QUOTE]
well, duh, where do you think isreal is getting all of its money to attack palastine? the sky? other countries?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by lea2385 [/i]
[B]well, duh, where do you think isreal is getting all of its money to attack palastine? the sky? other countries? [/B][/QUOTE]
Does Israel gets all of it's money from the US? Does one really need to mention the US when something wrong happens but completely leave out the US when something good happens? Face it they're anti-US and VERY anti-jew.

Guest cloricus
What good has happened? I've watched the news for eight days straight now without seeing one good thing happening on a global scale for the good of all and even when there is good news it is hardly ever attributed to America. Yet I've seen America (and England) be implicated six times out of those eight for coursing bad to happen in the world and leaving it a worse off place. (I'm doing a project involving looking at different news sources. ABC, SBS, Ninemsn.com.au other random others.)

And yes Harry I believe that Israel this year is asking for 12 billion on top of the 3 billion America already gave them, note that America has to cut back at home budget wise because of all the other stuff bush is spending on.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cloricus [/i]
[B]What good has happened? I've watched the news for eight days straight now without seeing one good thing happening on a global scale for the good of all and even when there is good news it is hardly ever attributed to America. Yet I've seen America (and England) be implicated six times out of those eight for coursing bad to happen in the world and leaving it a worse off place. (I'm doing a project involving looking at different news sources. ABC, SBS, Ninemsn.com.au other random others.)

And yes Harry I believe that Israel this year is asking for 12 billion on top of the 3 billion America already gave them, note that America has to cut back at home budget wise because of all the other stuff bush is spending on. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]What are these ?bad? instances that you speak of? What sources are you looking at? It seems as though you are providing a horribly vague argument unless you are attempting to prove that the international media is anti-American (which could be the case I guess, but the tone of your argument makes me think otherwise). I?m sick of everyone falling onto the Israeli and Palestinian argument when they focus on American foreign policy; however, I understand why so many countries disagree with our allegiance to Israel. Sure we give an insane amount of money to Israel, but we also give quite a bit of aide to Palestine. While the amount of money is not near equal, Israel has a history of supporting the US in nearly every decision we make, Palestine does not. Is it fair? No. Will the policy change? Maybe, but probably not. I know that is not a valid or terribly poignant argument, but it is the truth.

Anyway, my thoughts on the original issue are as follows. I have only watched Fox news a few times, but they were always slanted a bit too far to the right for me. I am a fairly conservative person (except when it comes to certain human rights issues) but I tend to enjoy watching and reading news that has a bit of a liberal slant. When I tend not to agree with an article or the way an issue is presented it causes me to think and to question my beliefs.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo] I?m sick of everyone falling onto the Israeli and Palestinian argument when they focus on American foreign policy; however, I understand why so many countries disagree with our allegiance to Israel. Sure we give an insane amount of money to Israel, but we also give quite a bit of aide to Palestine. While the amount of money is not near equal, Israel has a history of supporting the US in nearly every decision we make, Palestine does not. Is it fair? No. Will the policy change? Maybe, but probably not. I know that is not a valid or terribly poignant argument, but it is the truth.
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
well, if a bully kept smaking you with a stick, and it was the bullies best friend who was giving the kid the stick, and the bullies best friend went out and suggested somthing, are you going to support the bullies best friend?
by america giving alll that insane amount of money to isreal, they are indirectly part of all the problems over there.....

Well, not to make this a subject of israel, but...

America does not give near as much money to Israel as it does to the rest of the middle eastern countries. (I count all other countries together since the Arab world has collectively established an alliance on only one subject- a hate for Israel)

It should also be noted that Israel on an individual comparison still does not recieve the largest monitary or humanitarian aid donations from the US.

I have always liked underdogs, whether it was rocky or anyone else, so when I see Israel fight repeated wars against zealots and alliances of Arab countries, (such as with the war of '67 when Israel was alone in a fight against 6 established arab countries like syria & egypt) I end up supporting those who are the underdog.

It is true that palestine could be seen as an underdog, but when the entire middle eastern world aids you in a war on the infadels, underdog status goes out the window.

Sorry to rant. Just had to.

This subject isn't as simple as school yard bullies and lunch money.

[B]well, if a bully kept smaking you with a stick, and it was the bullies best friend who was giving the kid the stick, and the bullies best friend went out and suggested somthing, are you going to support the bullies best friend?
by america giving alll that insane amount of money to isreal, they are indirectly part of all the problems over there..... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]My argument may have not been the greatest, but yours is just asinine and unfounded. Let?s take a brief look at the history of Palestinian and Israeli aggression over the past fifteen years. Leaders from both countries meet in DC and agree to terms of a cease fire or halt in aggression. A week later a Palestinian fanatic with a bomb strapped to his chest destroys half a city block. The Israeli?s tighten their security around the border, shooting encroachers. Palestinians become enraged and surround the soldiers pelting them with stones, until Israeli?s are forced to fire back. Is it unfair, yes. Have you been pelted in the head by a sharp rock traveling 60mph before?

I understand that Israeli was given land that belonged to the Palestinians, that sucks. But if a group of Native American came to my door and began pelting me with rocks and wouldn?t stop then I may be inclined to borrow a gun from a friend to defend myself.

Sorry that was off topic, but people need to realize that this conflict has gone on long enough that both sides now equally share the blame.[/color]

[B]
by america giving alll that insane amount of money to isreal, they are indirectly part of all the problems over there..... [/B][/QUOTE]
3 billion is not an insane amount of money for governments.

Ok, let's keep in mind that we are from diferent backrounds, and will have different lines of reasoning as to how we get to our conclusions. I, for instance, am currently in the backwoods of pennslyvania, in a majorly catholic and protestant community, with the majority of people being white/anglosaxon. I was born and lived for years in the one of the citys of new york, in a muslim community with alot of very diverse kids. I knew people from jordan, egypt, saudi arabia, and one even said he was from palenstine. (I'm guessing the region formerly known as such.) Anyway, with the way I was raised, I heard opinions that most people don't get to hear, from many people (not from the kids I knew, rather from other adults) with different perspectives. By "different", I don't mean terroristic, or anti american. I mean that these people were born and raised in a totally different place than the US. People from a different enviroment will have different ideas. From what I heard, the opinions that these people had went somewhat along the lines as:

1) Israel does get alot of money from the US. I believe (and Icould be wrong) that either they as a nation recieve the most or the second most amount of forigen aid. Egypt may be the first or second, either way they are in the top number. They (the Israelies) use that money to buy weapons that they use against the Arab world. You can buy alot of weapons using billions of dollars a year of extra cash.. and to the group known as the palestinians, this is unjust. All they have are stick and rocks, and they are up against tanks and jets. Look at what the situation they are in.. many of them are in poverty because they are not allowed into Israel where the jobs are. Not all palestinians are intent on blowing themselves up you know, but the fact that most all of them are not allowed in to even work, would cause animosity I would think.

2) (I will only list two things today, as I don't want to write a book)
Lets go the subject of the military in Saudi Arabia, I remember hearing a bit about this on the evening news. When Operation Desert Storm was brough about, to have a base near iraq we asked to stay at one in Saudi Arabia. They lets us, but after the war was over we stayed. In fact, I believe that we still have troops over there. To get the point of this section, you have to know that in Islam there are a few holy cities, just as in most of the major religions. Jerusalam for instance, is one shared by Christianity, Judiaism, and Islam. Anyway, 2 of Islam's holy cities are in Saudi Arabia, being Mecca and Medina. Mecca is the site where we belive Abraham and his son built the kabaa, a building of worship. In fact, it is required of all Muslims capable to make a pilgrmage at least once in their life times, it is a big thing for them. Medina is the place where Islam's prophet Mohammad and his followers escaped to when they were chased out of mecca, a really long time ago. Now, I believe (and I am not a religious scholar, so I may be wrong) that there is a rule that no one who is not muslim may be allowed in either the citys or the country, I'm not sure. The fact that the US has a whole military base there, with people and troops and everything, has made these people somewhat angry. Very angry. They reason that the war is over, so why don't they leave their sacred ground?

Keep in mind that these are not necessarily my opinions, so don't knock me if you don't agree. You can post your opinions of course, I'd rather like that. I posted this big long thing to point out that things are not in black and white.. ever. To say something is the truth means only that you and alot of people you know say it is the truth. Well, I'l leave all that for you to ruminate over.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by outlawstar69 [/i]
[B]

1) Israel does get alot of money from the US. I believe (and Icould be wrong) that either they as a nation recieve the most or the second most amount of forigen aid. Egypt may be the first or second, either way they are in the top number. They (the Israelies) use that money to buy weapons that they use against the Arab world. You can buy alot of weapons using billions of dollars a year of extra cash.. and to the group known as the palestinians, this is unjust. All they have are stick and rocks, and they are up against tanks and jets. Look at what the situation they are in.. many of them are in poverty because they are not allowed into Israel where the jobs are. Not all palestinians are intent on blowing themselves up you know, but the fact that most all of them are not allowed in to even work, would cause animosity I would think. [/B][/QUOTE]
It's not like they use that extra billion only for weapons since it's a surplas. They lose a lot of money also do to the mass terrorism. And if you think a couple of billion, imagine how much they would make if they put their stupid hatred behind them and actually let tourists go there. That's money right there.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Harry [/i]
[B]It's not like they use that extra billion only for weapons since it's a surplas. They lose a lot of money also do to the mass terrorism. And if you think a couple of billion, imagine how much they would make if they put their stupid hatred behind them and actually let tourists go there. That's money right there. [/B][/QUOTE]
what do you mean, let tourists go there?
i have never heard where people werent allowed there from other countries.....

[QOUTE][i]Heaven's Cloud[/i][B]My argument may have not been the greatest, but yours is just asinine and unfounded. Let?s take a brief look at the history of Palestinian and Israeli aggression over the past fifteen years. Leaders from both countries meet in DC and agree to terms of a cease fire or halt in aggression. A week later a Palestinian fanatic with a bomb strapped to his chest destroys half a city block. The Israeli?s tighten their security around the border, shooting encroachers. Palestinians become enraged and surround the soldiers pelting them with stones, until Israeli?s are forced to fire back. Is it unfair, yes. Have you been pelted in the head by a sharp rock traveling 60mph before?[/B][/QUOTE]

no, i have never been pelted with a sharp rock traveling 60mph before, but, i have also never ran around with a gun shooting people, either....
there are good and bad people on BOTH sides of the isreali/palastine conflict, i just personally have heard from some palastinians and their views....
if any of you have heard from isrealies personally, feel free to make a comment......please

[color=green]It's interesting how bias in the media turned into a war about the Isreali war... Anyway, so... Rush Limbaugh, everyone's favorite media conservative (favorite to like or hate) got himself into a little trouble with the minority community... I don't even know exactly what he said, but evidentally he said a vague comment about black quarterbacks, and now he is in the hot seat. Does anybody know what he actually said, I hate trying to make an opinion without at least baseline information...andif you know what he said, what are your thoughts on the situation?[/color]

[B]what do you mean, let tourists go there?
i have never heard where people werent allowed there from other countries.....
[/B][/QUOTE]
I meant being able to go there without being afraid of getting blown up by some radical militant.

[quote]It's interesting how bias in the media turned into a war about the Isreali war... Anyway, so... Rush Limbaugh, everyone's favorite media conservative (favorite to like or hate) got himself into a little trouble with the minority community... I don't even know exactly what he said, but evidentally he said a vague comment about black quarterbacks, and now he is in the hot seat. Does anybody know what he actually said, I hate trying to make an opinion without at least baseline information...andif you know what he said, what are your thoughts on the situation?[/quote]
All Rush said was that he though McNabb was getting more credit than he deserves because he's black and a quarter back. It's basically true also. McNabb can be pretty good when he's on top but when he isn't winning, he sure does suck it up hardcore. It's just a case of the media over hyping nothing.

Guest cloricus
Heaven's Cloud maybe you should read my [b]whole[/b] post next time.

Q. What are these ?bad? instances that you speak of?
A. You expect me to post eight days of bad news, that?s 8x30 minutes of news stories each about three minutes long. [i]I have better things to do.[/i]

Q. What sources are you looking at?
A. Read my post, it clearly adds the main sources I use. "[i]I'm doing a project involving looking at different news sources. ABC, SBS, Ninemsn.com.au other random others.[/i]"

Opinion - It seems as though you are providing a horribly vague argument unless you are attempting to prove that the international media is anti-American.
Reply - What? My reply was purely to say that (in reply to the post above it) the reason America always seems to be doing the bad things is because it is. It's good to bad ratio in the view of the media I watch is not good, now either sources from all over the world are universally bias against America or they just don't do nice things often I don't know. (In fact I'd like to know James opinion of this since it's his area.)

Implication - I?m sick of everyone falling onto the Israeli and Palestinian argument.
Reply - I did not in anyway imply anything to do with that conflict in my post, the second paragraph was to prove Harry?s facts wrong and had nothing to do with my post and did not have anything to reflect my bias in the issue.

In future before you bash my posts please read them first, thank you.

--
As for the insane amount of money given to the Israeli's while I was finding out information about the true cost I found out that there are two other first world countries contribute substantial aid to Israel and per week the average countries incomes are lesser than Israel.

[B]Heaven's Cloud maybe you should read my [b]whole[/b] post next time.
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I did read your [b]whole[/b] post, actually I read your [b]whole[/b] post several times, that is why I chose to comment on it. When I wrote my response I felt that your post was extremely vague, that you didn?t clarify or support any points that you were attempting to make, and that the tone of your post had a fairly general anti-American slant to it. After your last post I feel pretty much the same. Although I dislike dissecting posts because I feel that it usually takes away from the writer?s point of view, perhaps this is the best way to get my point across to you.[/color]

What good has happened? I've watched the news for eight days straight now without seeing one good thing happening on a global scale for the good of all and even when there is good news it is hardly ever attributed to America.[/QUOTE]

[color=indigo] Over the past three weeks the associated press has been conducting a poll in Baghdad. Apparently, there is an overwhelming amount of support for what America has done in Iraq, by overwhelming I mean a seventy plus percent approval rating from the people in Baghdad.

The American government set aside an additional four billion dollars in aide for the American Red Cross to help improve Iraqi hospitalization and medical care.

You made an opinion but you didn?t support it with facts. You didn?t bother even citing one example of negative news comments surrounding the US. But you seem to get riled up when I question your vague (and it is vague opinion).[/color]

Yet I've seen America (and England) be implicated six times out of those eight for coursing bad to happen in the world and leaving it a worse off place.[/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]Implicated in what? Again you?re being vague. America is [b]implicated[/b] for doing all types of things, some good some bad. Apparently the US was implicated six out of eight times in something though?[/color]

(I'm doing a project involving looking at different news sources. ABC, SBS, Ninemsn.com.au other random others.)[/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]Wow, I hope that you make points based on fact (or at least points based on an opinion) in this project of yours. Are these the sources that you based your prior arguments on? I am sure you have an argument based on watching these sources, but you sure didn?t make it in your prior posts.[/color]

You expect me to post eight days of bad news, that?s 8x30 minutes of news stories each about three minutes long. I have better things to do.[/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I don?t expect you to post eight days worth of news, however, if you want to make a valid argument I expect you to list a few of your reasons. You just stated an opinion that had absolutely no justification or support yet the tone of your rebuttal leads me to believe that you are upset that I questioned the basis of your opinion[/color]

Read my post, it clearly adds the main sources I use. "I'm doing a project involving looking at different news sources. ABC, SBS, Ninemsn.com.au other random others."[/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I covered this above, however, I did ask you what your sources were in haste. Looking back, I realize that your sources are meaningless because you didn?t make any points.[/color]

What? My reply was purely to say that (in reply to the post above it) the reason America always seems to be doing the bad things is because it is. It's good to bad ratio in the view of the media I watch is not good, now either sources from all over the world are universally bias against America or they just don't do nice things often I don't know. (In fact I'd like to know James opinion of this since it's his area.)[/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]But that isn?t what you wrote earlier, nor is it what you seemed to be implying. You simply stated that America was responsible for doing eight days of bad things and were implicated in six of out of eight things (who knows what those things were). If this was the point you were trying to make, you didn?t convey your thoughts very well.[/color]

I did not in anyway imply anything to do with that conflict in my post, the second paragraph was to prove Harry?s facts wrong and had nothing to do with my post and did not have anything to reflect my bias in the issue.[/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]Well, I wasn?t aware that you were ?everyone? (although, I made a broad generalization by stating ?everyone? so I guess it does [b]include[/b] you, lol), however, I failed to make a paragraph break in my post so I can see why you would feel as though I was attacking an opinion you made. I?m sorry that opinion seemed a direct response to a point you were making, it wasn?t.[/color]

In future before you bash my posts please read them first, thank you.[/quote]

[color=indigo]I didn?t bash your post, I wanted you to clarify your opinion, which you did to some small degree in your previous post. It is my opinion that you tend to create vague, unsubstantiated arguments in threads that pose political and ethical questions. Let me give you an example of this using the remark that you ended your previous post with.[/color]

As for the insane amount of money given to the Israeli's while I was finding out information about the true cost I found out that there are two other first world countries contribute substantial aid to Israel and per week the average countries incomes are lesser than Israel. [/quote]

[color=indigo]Am I the only one that thinks this comment is vague? You found out that two other first world countries give a substantial amount of aid to Israel, but you don?t tell us what countries they are. You also state that their average countries income is less per week then Israel, yet you fail to provide an numbers or estimates of numbers. I?m sure that these points are valid and could be true, but since you don?t even attempt to prove them I am going to question your opinions, if you are under the impression that I am bashing you then you obviously are unable to debate your point of view.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B]

[color=indigo]Am I the only one that thinks this comment is vague? You found out that two other first world countries give a substantial amount of aid to Israel, but you don?t tell us what countries they are. You also state that their average countries income is less per week then Israel, yet you fail to provide an numbers or estimates of numbers. I?m sure that these points are valid and could be true, but since you don?t even attempt to prove them I am going to question your opinions, if you are under the impression that I am bashing you then you obviously are unable to debate your point of view.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
The whole post was extremely vague and his facts were based on "my sources are abc...etc."

[quote]Originally posted by cloricus
I did not in anyway imply anything to do with that conflict in my post, the second paragraph was to prove Harry?s facts wrong and had nothing to do with my post and did not have anything to reflect my bias in the issue[/quote]
You didn't prove my "facts" wrong. First of all I didn't even state a fact, I simply said that Israel didn't get all of their money from the US which is true. If you honestly believe Israel can live on only 15 billion dollars a year you need to leave this thread and never return.