OtakuBoards

Laeth E'Thae [PG-VL]

Arcadia

Leile had been calling out to passerbys for merely a few minutes before one older woman glanced at her, hesitating, before approaching the cart. The raven-haired girl blinked at her, not actually expecting anyone to stop by until some time later. Quickly masking her surprise, she dropped off the cart and gave the woman a quick bow, gesturing towards her merchandise. "Good morning, ma'am," she said kindly, the beads in her hair jingling merrily as she stood straight again. "Is there anything you'd like?"

The woman peered at her cart briefly, before focusing on her. A deep frown formed on her lips and suddenly the little lady had a lot more wrinkles than Leile previously thought. "I'd like you to shush. It's much too early to have greedy merchants like you yelling at poor old ladies like me." And with that she turned in a huff, walking stiffly away.

Leile just stared at her retreating form, forcing herself to keep her mouth shut as the woman requested. Because she knew that if she opened it, some of the filthiest words ever uttered in Laeth E'Thae would come pouring out. Exhaling slowly, still glaring at the woman, she abruptly turned, desperately searching for something else to occupy herself with. [i]That WOMAN... arrgh![/i] But as she caught sight of a pair by the fountain, her blood ran cold and froze in her veins. She recognized that man... one of her father's friends from Ma'Uriith. [i]Ma'Uriith.[/i] "...oh gods.." Forgetting completely about the old woman now, she hurried over to him, her hair noisily betraying her approach.

The woman with him noticed her first, her eyebrows raised as Leile joined them, her breath caught in her throat and her fear and concern blantant in her eyes. Touching the woman's arm briefly in apology as she blinked into the startling blue of her eyes, Leile turned back towards the man, looking as though she wanted to grab hold of him but was afraid to do so. "..M..Muis-ka, ..you... you look-"

His eyes seemed to lighten in recognition, and some of the hard lines around his eyes softed as he bowed his head in slight greeting. "Ah, Miss Leile. It's been some time. Things have... changed." It was obvious to both women that his thoughts were back on Ma'Uriith as his eyes darkened once again and a shadow seemed to fall over him entirely. "Drastically."

Leile glanced at the brunette woman, that familiar burning sensation back in her throat as her mind looked desperately for something to say. No words would come, however, and she could only stand there meekly as Muis-ka turned his attention back to the older woman. "I hope," he began hoarsely, "for Ma'Uriith's sake, that you can help me.."

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=royalblue][i]The curtains opened slowly, thick comando cloth pulling itself apart like caramels slowly becoming unstuck. Shrai'i and her partner were the opening duo, legs in complete half splits, arms hidden. Both were also shrouded in their perspective veils and scarves, and before the music started, there was absolute silence.

The crowd was unusually hushed, unlike the usual cat calls and hooting that accompanied other dancing girls, these two seemed to command respect before they made a single move. When the drumbeat began, Shrai'is partner turned and did a complete develé pé on her right leg. Completeing the motion, Shrai'i rose on her own bent, then straightened leg, and kicked the other one up. Then the two sank down into pliés and then rose up again into relevé. Then the melody started, and they moved of their own accord, twisting and turning to accompany the music.

The audience was raptly watching, and Shrai'i smiled to herself, flicking her scarf around and between her legs and arms, moving lightly, always on her toes. When the first song ended, she sank down to her knees, left leg extended in the full on side splits. Her partner was balancing in a backwards bridge, her arms resting on Shrai'is shoulders. The curtains slowly closed once more, and the audience cheered and clapped.

The two broke and walked back and let the next act set up.[/i]

"Excellent women."

"Thanks Genesis."

"Work on your por-tebra forwards please."

[i]Her partner gave him a sickening look. Shrai'i merely combed her hair back.[/i][/COLOR]

[color=crimson]"[i]Well, I originally came into town to drink. I am conviently at a bar, with plenty of time to put the posters up. Time to drink a bit.[/i]"

Ensis grinned and walked over to the bar, setting the posters down. Sitting down, he leaned his staff against the bar and pondered just what to drink. Maybe some nice, hard ale to give him that nice surge..

"Hm."

Tapping his fingers lightly on the surface, Elda's father came out of the back with a light smirk on his face. Approaching Ensis, he nodded a hello to him. He nodded back, decideing on his drink.

"Ale. Hardest that you've got."

Grabbing a nearby bottle, he asked "Troubles, Ensis?"

"Not especially. Just need to get my mind off a minor thing is all."

As the drink was set on the bar, a nearby man called out for some service. A sense of releif left Ensis- he had not told anyone the details of what he had been feeling to avoid appearing melodramatic or paranoid. He was neither of these, and honestly believed it was more than likely just a minor matter which would be taken care of naturally..

Sipping his ale, Ensis closed his eyes and let out a slight sigh.[/color]

[I]Saladin started the next morning by packing his things and paying his dues.He had alot of traveling to do today.First Saladin needed to hitch a ride to Tal'Ebot where he had business to take care of.It wasn't really anything special but he needed to take any job and get some sort of income because the truth was he was just about broke.So Saladin walked through Uthmae's streets once more looking for a ride to Tal'Ebot.He finds a merchant that has a route between Uthmae and Tal'Ebot.

Saladin-I need to get to Tal'Ebot.I would appreciate it if you would give me a ride...

Merchant-How abouuuuut $20 dollars?

Saladin-........hmmm i kinda don't have any money...but I will pay you as soon as my business there is finished.

Merchant-If you can get me half now i'll accept the other half when we get there and you are done with whatever business you may have.

Saladin payed the merchant the fee for the ride and jumped aboard the stagecoach.Soon he was on his way to Tal'Ebot to take some mission.After Tal'Ebot he would go to C'Erree then cross the Naar'Sael Ocean to Fenwyr so he could catch the spring festival.[/I]

Sorry this isn't the best post i could do but i'm trying to get my char associated with everyone else.

[i]So the shadow has spread?[/i]

He could feel it down to the core of his being: an odd, [i]tugging[/i] sort of sensation. Others might fear the sickness, the darkening skies, but Anubis was a black mage?one of the strongest?and though he?d left Ma?Uriith, the curse still called him. He stood silently amidst the chattering crowds of Tal?Ebot?s largest marketplace: a tall, elegant figure who might have gone unnoticed, were it not for the elaborate designs tattooed upon his hands and arms.

Unsurprisingly, Ethai?Ens tended to have excellent hearing. Anubis may have enhanced his with a spell or two? yet if he did, it was a subtle magic, and was not discovered by even the closest Frae-Rens. He gazed meditatively at his staff, listening to the various conversations that were taking place around him.

?I hope, for Ma?Uriith?s sake, that you can help me??

[i]A rough, weary voice. Interesting?[/i]

Anubis glanced up, his eyes flicking towards the ornamental fountain that stood a short distance away. The speaker was another Ethai?En, who could easily have been around his age. Yet while Anubis appeared calm and strangely ageless, this man seemed worn, broken, ravaged by some nameless illness.

The mage smiled, his lips curving in a subtle expression of what could have been mirth, fascination, or something else entirely. He made his way towards the Ethai?En and his two companions.

The tattoos began to shift, their patterns growing darker, sharper, wilder. But no one was watching. For the moment, he went unseen.

[color=hotpink][size=1]Elda didn't wait too long in the backroom before making her way back into the bar. She was tired out already from the day's work and ready for it to be over with. She noticed Ensis sitting down quietly and she looked over at her father. He was busy dealing with some rowdy men who had been in the bar for quite a while. She smiled slightly and made her way over to a new table.

There sat a handsome young man with sapphire colored eyes. She wondered where he was from and eagerly asked him what he would be having. He just looked at her and frowned slightly. She frowned back. He pulled out a book from a bag he was carrying and ignored her completely.

She sighed deeply and walked away. Some of the foreigners tended to be that way. And there just wasn't anyone good enough for her here. She walked over to her father who was now wiping the bar clean.

"Why is it that I have to get married?"

He chuckled slightly and didn't say anything. Elda crossed her arms.

"Your mother was the same way..." he finally spoke. "She was the wild blossom of the town. Beauty beyond description, sweet as you could ever imagine. She wouldn't settle for the ordinary type...but look at who she ended up with."

Her father smiled sadly at her. She stared back at him.

"He's out there, Elda. And he's probably closer than you think. Just you wait."

Her father walked off and left her standing at the bar alone.[/color][/size]

Kaze had already been walking for hours, he was heading towards Tal'Ebot trying to find a sign as to what to do next... He could have sworn that the pastor had wanted him to go somewhere, but he figured that he might as well go there, seeing as how the city would be full of tourists full of information come the spring celebration...

Kaze had never had a real celebration before, since his childhood was spent in horrible illness. His family had always done their part to help, but Kaze had now been filled with a dark void. He had never really looked forward to any festivals, since looking forward could always mean you are looking towards death...

Kaze stopped abruptly as he heard a loud rumbling behind him, and what seemed to be a whistling of wind. There was a roar of moise as an incredible dust cloud formed a few hundred feet away, and Kaze looked in astonishment as a ship sailed over the hill, [i]on land[/i]. He looked as the ship, which had very uneven wheels, roared towards him, and he took a few steps back, and gazed upon what was not really a ship, but more of a small platform with a singular cabin on wheels, as well as a few sails and man-powered fans. The men were Tal'Iiren, and they appeared ot be pumping handles which powered the fans furously, except for one, who stood near the front. The man at the front noticed Kaze, and yelled something that was drowned out by the roar of the machinery. Two bars plunked down on either side of the vehicle, and dug into the ground, causing it to stop. A small set of three stairs unfolded quietly from the side, and the man who was standing at the front, who had purple hair and was wearing a travelling suit, stared at Kaze with what seemed to be amusement.

"Choo' doing down 'ere?" He asked, speaking with a strong accent.
"I'm going to Tal'Ebot." Kaze replied simply, but the man roared with laughter and clapped Kaze on the shoulder.
"Aren't you in luck, mate, 'cause we's going there too, we is. You could use the ride, son." Kaze didn't reply, but was lead up the stairs by the man, who'se tail seemed to be swishing excitedly.

"A'ight mates, forward, and no slacking off, now!" He roared, and the rest of the men began to pump the fan handles again, causing the ship to start moving. Kaze looked at the cabin, and long, moving chains appeared to be protruding from it.
"The wind isn't the only thing powering this, mate, we've got men in there pulling them chains, and the wheels turn. They get an easier time of it, though, since these blokes have got most of the work with the fans." He laughed again, and some of the others stared at him contepmtedly. He looked at Kaze.
"This is the first ship to ever sail on land, it is, mate. We're just testing it, makin' sure it's all right for travel before we try using the..." All of the men stopped pumping abruptly and shushed the captain, who blushed.
"Sorry, mate, can't tell you that one." He did a small double take at Kaze, who stared blanky.
"Oh, my apologies, never introduced meself properly... I'm Kan Tsu'Kei, the captain of this here enerprise, and you'll put in a good word for me men back in town, eh?" He winked at Kaze, who looked at him contemptedly before sitting down.
"Oh yeah, you must be tired. I'd offer you some food, mate, but we have just exactly enough to last my men the trip back." He laughed again, Kaze didn't look at him.
"You eager for the festival?" Kan asked, Kaze didn't reply, so Kan looked at him, his nose about an inch away from Kaze's. He seemed angry.
"You know, son, you really have to learn to talk to folks, y'know."
"Why?"
"Cause they yer friends, y'know, The way I see it, all people in this place are like one big, happy family, who don't really realize it yet."
"Really...that seems strange."
"Whossat?"
"There have been wars, you know, and maybe Tal'Ebot won't be too happy when you try to bring this thing in."
"Ha! I got the little boy to talk. Brillian'..." Kaze looked down.
"Whoa, didn' mean to get you so down, kid, maybe we can talk some other time, you can sleep or something..."
"How can I sleep, with all this noise?"
"Oh, right, I guess I never thought o' that." Kan guffawed loudly, then retreated to the rear of the ship. Kaze looked into the sky, the sun was shining, and he fell asleep on deck, remembering, albeit vaguely, what it meant to rest in the sun...

[color=green]"I hope, for Ma'Uriith's sake, that you can help me ..."

Aissa shuddered inwardly at the words. They were innocuous enough, but it was that haunted quality to his voice ... She silently wondered if she could, indeed, help him as he desired.

She reminded herself that the customer was waiting. But no, he wasn't, he had continued talking, and it seemed Aissa had missed something. She composed herself and began listening again. "... but I could not leave without providing for my family's well-being first," he was saying, his voice hollow. "I wished to leave Ma'Uriith, to run, as far and as fast as I could, but I was tied down ... My younger sister is so poor ... I had to send my own wife and children away first, of course, the blackness was drawing over all of us like wildfire, but it became only worse once I was alone ... My sister and her husband could do nothing, they were so dependent on me ..."

Muis-ka's coherency was rapidly diminishing, and Aissa laid a hand on his shoulder, forcing herself not to draw back as she wished to. "Shh," she said soothingly, "it's all right. I can help you, but you may wish to go somewhere more private --"

"[i]No[/i]." Muis-ka's whisper was like a shiver that ran straight through her head, reaching down to her toes. It was only a moment later that Aissa realized he'd also grabbed the front of her shirt, pulling her close so she was staring directly into those cadaverous eyes, only a couple inches away from her face. She was dimly aware of the girl with beaded hair trying to pull Muis-ka away, but his grip was like death's. Aissa waited, her mind racing, but somehow instinctively knowing not to move.

Muis-ka relaxed and let go, burying his face in his hands. "No," he said, and now his voice held nothing spectral, it was merely broken and desolate. "If I am not surrounded by sun and other people, it becomes ... dangerous ..."

Aissa raised an eyebrow. That was good enough for her. "Very well," she said, and was about to go on when she sensed a presence approaching, one that she wasn't quite sure she wanted near her.

She turned and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

"Is he going to be okay?" the tiny girl said, the beads in her hair trembling though her face seemed brave.

Aissa afforded her a gentle smile. "I hope so," she said, unwilling to make any promises just yet. "My name is Aissa."

"I'm Leile," the other introduced herself. "Don't let me bother you or anything, though ..."

"Thanks," Aissa said, and turning to Muis-ka, laid her hands on his head.

She murmured words under her breath, so rapid that they almost became a gentle humming. She felt the wind rippling through the grass, and it was as if the earth beneath her feet was slowly entering into her, offering her the heat of the sun that it had accumulated, the joy of the growth it had to offer, memories of carefree animals running across it, wisdom sustained over thousands of generations. Aissa poured this feeling into her hands, and it in turn poured into Muis-ka, running over him as tangibly as cool water.

And then it stopped.

Aissa pulled her hands back, brow wrinkled. It was as if she'd run into a wall. Something was blocking the regenerative powers she could unleash, and she wasn't sure exactly what ...[/color]

[color=crimson]Ensis drank as quiet as a mouse, his mind being clear of all thought. The ebb and flow of natural energy in the area was still distracting him- especially the lingering knot that rested in his stomach. Old animosity was comeing into veiw, the relization of a nightmare that had been planned in a time that had since long passed. An event that had been forgotten by all but the victim, perhaps. Ensis would just have to wait it out to see what did or did not occur..

"[i]Mmm, it got kind of quiet in here[/i]."

He glanced around briefly before he found himself stareing- more than usual- at Elda.. Her beauty was a very angelic kind, the kind he quite enjoyed, really. She was all by her lonesome near the bar, left in thought after haveing a just out of earshot conversation with her father.

He wanted to talk to someone, and she appeared to need someone to talk to as well, so he stood up and approached her, sitting down again right next to her.

"Abnormally quiet in here, eh?"[/color]

[i]This has never happened before.[/i] Aissa thought, struggling to remain calm. She had complete faith in her healing powers, and it shook her that this [i]thing[/i]?whatever it was?could interfere with what came to her so easily and naturally.

Leile watched Muis-ka, her eyes bright and anxious. If only she could help?

Aissa frowned, focusing on the air around her. That presence had passed by her once again, so swiftly that she?d barely sensed it. All the same, it had definitely been there. She offered her patient a reassuring smile before turning to face Leile. Her words, low and even, masked her growing unease. ?Could anyone be ?. watching us??

The smaller woman shook her head, making her hair ornaments tinkle like so many tiny bells. ?Not that I can tell,? she said.

?What do you mean?? Muis-ka whispered, glancing nervously from side to side. He shifted beneath Aissa?s hands, clearly agitated.

?You may as well give up hope.?

All three jerked, startled. A powerfully built Ethai?En stood before them. He held a mage?s rod, but his arms were covered in tattoos of the blackest ink: words written in all manner of languages and long-dead scripts. And though the man was cloaked, the clothing that lay beneath did little to conceal his well-sculpted form. He gazed down at them, smiling pleasantly.

Aissa stared back, unsure whether she should be angry or frightened. He carried a sacred staff, the kind gifted only to the most powerful of white sorcerers. Yet?there was something deeply [i]wrong[/i] about him, and it disturbed her that she couldn?t place her finger on it.

Leile straightened up and spoke, surprising the other woman. ?Who are you?? she demanded. ?There?s always hope. You?ve got a lot of nerve to tell Muis-ka otherwise.?

?Mmm,? he murmured, sweeping a graceful bow. ?Point taken, young lady. You may call me Anubis. It seems that you could use my help.?

[color=hotpink][size=1]Elda jumped, startled at the sound of Ensis' voice. She looked over at him as he sat down beside her at the bar and she smiled.

"Yes, it is...especially since father kicked out all of the rowdy drunks...it's sort of peaceful..."

She seemingly looked off into the distance at nothing in particular, her mind running quickly through thoughts of silence and the wind.

"It's especially abnormal since there are many visitors here. Shouldn't more people be in here?" Ensis asked.

Elda looked back at him. "You know, you're right. I wonder where everyone is at? And why no one is here...." She shrugged.

Ensis smiled and closed his eyes for a moment.

"What are you thinking?" Elda asked, seeing the contented look on his face.

"Ah, nothing. Just pondering." He continued to smile.

She raised a brow and said nothing. Her father, who was watching from aways off, noticed the conversation between the two. He was very interested in Ensis and knew that he was perfect for Elda, whether she realized it or not. He knew this was a good opportunity to make the two interact.

"Beautiful day, isn't it?" her father said as he walked over to the bar.

"Yes, it is..." said Ensis, nodding slowly.

"Too beautiful of a day to be cooped up in a place like this..." he spoke. He looked at Elda.

"It's fine to me..." she said.

"No, I think you need to get out while you can...while it's so beautiful outside...afterall, it's a time for festivity, not slaving away in here..."

"But father, there's no one in here hardly..."

"Even MORE the reason for you to get out!" he smiled happily at her and Ensis. "Why don't the two of you go do something?"

Elda stared hard at her father. Ensis just smiled.[/color][/size]

[color=sienna]As it turned out, Luthian decided that he would try to catch the little performance. While he was tired, and nothing sounded finer than just dropping onto his bed and sleeping for the rest of the night, his friend Nalya had a very valid point - observing the dance could help the two of them better understand the grace involved. And from what he'd snatched from the bits and pieces of the customers' conversations as he finished up his shift, the performance was supposed to be a good one. One of the best in awhile, apparently. And why would he turn down an opportunity for growth?

Eventually he did find Nalya and the two watched, with a few other comrades from training, as the two dancers on stage made the Lith'Rii Urii look easy. He had expected something good, but what they gave him was far more than that. Like him, the entire audience was still, almost trance-like, as they watched the graceful women on stage, and when it ended, they errupted in cheers, jumping from their seats. Luth just raised his eyebrows, glancing back to Nalya before whistling. "Wow."

"I told you, didn't I? Why is it that no one ever listens to me?" She exclaimed, throwing her arms up in mock frustration. "I'm like the girl that no one can see!"

Luth shook his head solemnly. "A perfectly good waste of organs and bodily tissues. Such a sad fate," he sighed, and no one was surprised when she yanked and twisted on his tail. Just barely suppressing a yell, he merely slapped her hand away, petting his tail gently afterwards. "Goddamn you women. Sadists, all of you!"

She chuckled, getting up. "I'm sorry, Luth, really. Dearest," she stated, kissing the top of his head before ruffling [i]his[/i] hair, "Revenge is sweet. I will see you in the morning, bright and early."

He glared as she left, still cradling his tail, before he realized that he should probably get going as well. Most people were staying for the next acts, but that was clearly the one that couldn't have been missed, and now that it was over, the idea of going to sleep sounded even greater. Sighing, he grabbed his bag and slung it over his shoulder, checking it briefly to make sure his work things and other little odds and ends were still there, before heading out the door. The night was cool on his skin, and the sky was clear and full of stars. A perfect night to be out and about, he thought, and the fact that he was not disgruntled him a bit. It seemed like a horrible waste.

Sighing again, he kicked a pebble on the sidewalk before heading back towards his humble abode, focusing on the chance for some shut eye and his tired, tired muscles, rather than anything else.[/color]

[color=crimson]"Well we could go hang out at the market. Look around, have some fun." Ensis said with a grin.

"Yes, you two would have a great time!" Her father said, patting the both of them on the shoulder.

Ensis knew what her father was doing, but decided that his aim had been to have fun today- so, you might as well just go with the flow. His eye glistened just a bit as his staff quietly appeared, leaning against the nearest wall. Elda stood, considering the idea- obviously debateing several facts in her mind at the same time.

He hoped she agreed to go- he had wanted to get to know her better for some time now, but she had always seemed somewhat busy with her duties or dealing with the various agressive individuals that came in looking for trouble.

Finally, it seemed she had come to a decison..[/color]

[i]Dammit[/i], Maia thought. [i]I can?t draw anything from this angle.[/i].

She would have to move into the audience?not something she was desirous of doing, but she would gladly endure the extra body heat, if it afforded her a better view.

Maia slipped through a side door and moved stealthily amidst the crowd, seeking an open spot. She found one next to a pretty Ethai?En girl, and after balancing the pad on her free arm, began to sketch. It wasn't easy to work this way.

?Hey! That?s really good!?

She jumped, surprised, and made a stray mark. The Ethai?En winced. ?Sorry . . .? she whispered, her voice much more subdued than before. Maia scowled down at the paper. Did she need to have ?antisocial? [i]branded[/i] on her forehead before people would decide to stop making small talk?

Well, there was little point in continuing this exercise in futility. She?d gotten a few good drawings out of Shrai?i?s act, and the other dancers seemed to be far less skilled. The show wouldn?t be over for at least another hour, so she might as well get some fresh air. Maia wound her way outdoors, stuffing the sketchbook back inside her coat.

It was a gorgeous evening, gentle and cool. As a thief, Maia was accustomed to working in the dark, and she was familiar with nearly every constellation that glittered in the clear spring sky. Breca had taught her to navigate by the stars. And as an artist, she loved the grandeur and beauty of the dark heavens above.

Maia gazed up at the sliver-shaped moon as she walked, wandering aimlessly from street to street. Her infallible sense of direction would eventually lead her back to the bar, but for now, she was content to simply kill time. She blinked to clear her vision, and muttered the names of celestial bodies under her breath as she went.

Several minutes had passed when a pebble struck her square between the eyes. Maia yelped and whirled around, whipping out one of her knives. ?Hey!? she shouted, brandishing the blade for emphasis. ?What the hell was that for!??

A tall, dark-haired man was walking past her, kicking at stones in the street as he slouched by. [i]He seems familiar?[/i]

Maia decided to ignore this unwanted thought, and instead chose to glower in the Tal?Iiren?s direction. He remained thoroughly oblivious. She noted with some bemusement that his tail was [i]drooping[/i].

?Weird,? the girl muttered. But her annoyance soon got the better of her. That rock had stung. ?Where do you think you?re going?? she demanded, trotting up to him. ?C?mon, at least say you?re sorry!?

He paused and turned towards her, tail twitching in bewilderment. Maia shot the man a quick, resentful stare and pointed her knife straight at his nose, her eyes gleaming golden in the dim light. A split second later, she recoiled. What was Mr. Popularity doing out [i]here[/i]?

?You hit me,? she said accusingly, suddenly feeling extremely foolish. ?I mean? one of your pebbles hit me. You kicked it, and it??

Though he was confused, the Tal?Iiren had to try not to smile. Maia was beginning to gibber rather badly. ?I get the idea,? he cut in.

The girl looked first at him, then at her dagger, which still hovered an inch or so away from his face, its razor-sharp edge shimmering in the moonlight. She sighed and stepped back, sheathing the knife. He continued to watch her, now more curious than irritated. Maia tugged nervously at her braid as she thought. Why did his tail insist on [i]drooping[/i] like that? Just looking at it was making her depressed.

By her reckoning, at least three-fourths of an hour remained before she would have to return. Maia crossed her arms. [i]Where?s the fan club when I need ?em?[/i] she wondered. [i]If they?d come, I wouldn?t have bothered pulling a knife on him or anything. I certainly wouldn?t have given him a second glance.[/i]

?Let me rephrase that,? she finally said. ?Don?t you work at the bar? What?re you doing out here, anyway??

[color=sienna]Luth hadn't expected to make any friends on his walk back home. He was rather content to just wallow in self-pity, and enjoy a nice, quiet, lonely stroll home; kind of a 'change of pace' thing. Unfortunately, however, as a girl (he could really only tell it was a girl by her voice; the way she dressed, it could have gone either way) started screaming at him, something about... [i]gods,[/i] he didn't even know what she was talking about... well, he lost his melancholy focus and stared at her with a expression of bewilderment. Now [i]she[/i] could talk someone's ear off, but he found her gibbering wasn't that annoying at all. Kind of cute, actually. He did his best, however, not to encourage her temper for fear of that shiny little dagger.

"I get the idea," he interrupted lightly, and she continued to glare at him (albeit a little half-heartedly, he thought) for a few more seconds before stepping back, putting the weapon away. He continued to watch her, still not entirely sure if she was still mad about the pebble thing, and also because he was amused, and something about the girl piqued his interest. [i]Yes,[/i] he decided, [i]this has been a very curious night, indeed.[/i]

Her next question made him still instantly and he narrowed his eyes just a tad, wondering how she could possibly know who he was, or where he worked, for that matter, before it finally dawned on him: [i]she was one of the women at the bar.[/i] Her, and the other woman... and suddenly Luthian wondered how he ever managed to survive so long in the city by himself. "I know you," he finally replied, grinning like an excited little boy who had just discovered something. "You drank wine with that other lady, the dancer. You know," he stated quietly, as though it were some sort of secret, "I never forget a drink."

She didn't exactly look impressed, and Luthian scratched his head, coughing in embarrassment. He [i]really[/i] needed to get some sleep before he hurt himself. "Right. I was walking back from a performance, until I did the pebble thing and, uh... I didn't, er, hurt you, did I?" It seemed like the proper thing to do, and so he stepped forward a bit, squinting his eyes as if looking for some sort of wound. Although he had to admit, the entire experience was rather comical - it seemed like something out of all those old stories the people back in Caedwyn used to tell him. He couldn't help but grin at that thought, his tail twitching in delight, and then broadened it when he asked her, "Do you want me to kiss it and make it better?"[/color]

[COLOR=royalblue][i]Shrai'i finished the final touches on her costume, painted silk, in a perfect pattern, to accent the sheerness of the rest of her clothing. Her partner was smiling in that suckworthy self absorbed way she so detested. But instead of letting it get to her, she let Genesis hold her around the waist and breathe into her ear. If there was one way to cool herself down, it was knowing that she was loved more than her partner. Besides that, she knew she wasn't one to take it up the tush every night.

She was actually worth something, and for that, Genesis let himself get close to her. Shrai'i looked satiated for the time being, and wrapped her scarf around her wrist again. Her partner looked miffed, and contented herself to admire the recently delivered flowers.[/i]

"Make sure to make it good tonight Shrai'i."

"I always do...."

"Especially so tonight?"

"I'll do my best...but I make no promises."

"What if I make one?"

"And it will be?"

"Dinner on me, tomorrow on our night off."

"And where will we go?"

"Somewhere special. Somewhere we haven't been to in years."

"Fine then."

[i]She smiled up into his dark green eyes and headed for the closed curtain wall. Her partner was nearby, balancing on her halfshod feet. Genesis watched them depart, and checked the pit once more. Good.[/i][/COLOR]

[color=green]"It seems that you could use my help."

"Could use your help, my ***," Aissa muttered mutinously, turning back to Muis-ka, then recoiling a bit in shock. Her reaction to the stranger's entrance was ... unlike her, to say the least, and it threw her even further off-balance. Luckily, Muis-ka and Leile didn't seem to have heard her, though Aissa had a sneaking suspicion that Anubis himself wasn't so happily oblivious.

Aissa sighed and rolled up her sleeves, considering her options. The truth was, she probably [i]could[/i] use his help. But it wasn't every day that she turned to strangers for help in what she considered "her" field. Let alone strangers with mysterious tattoos etched on his hands. But his staff ...

Aissa turned back to him and had to concentrate to avoid jumping back. She could've sworn that a moment ago those tattoos had been different ... but that was impossible ... She targeted them with her eyes, focusing, feeling for something, she wasn't sure what --

"Er, Aissa?" Leile spoke aloud from behind her, and Aissa realized she'd been silent for many a long moment now. Muis-ka appeared to be shivering.

Aissa turned only long enough to give Muis-ka and Leile a reassuring smile, then drew Anubis a short distance away from them. "What do you think this thing is?" she said, her voice curt.

"I thought you didn't need my help," Anubis said, a small smile playing at the corners of his mouth.

Aissa cast her eyes to the heavens and silently asked for a modicum of patience, because it appeared she did not have any today. "If you're going to be like that --"

"He comes from Ma'Uriith, correct?" Anubis said. "The real problem stems from there, not from the man. To heal him, you would need to heal the entire city."

Aissa just looked back at him. "The problem would be that Muis-ka is a paying customer, whereas Ma'Uriith is not," she said, and turned away to walk back towards the others. She was nearly shaking ... It was completely unlike her to be so rude to anyone, let alone someone she barely knew. Something in Anubis seemed to bring out the worst in her. Yet it wasn't that she disliked him, she realized. What, then ...?

[i]You'll have time to ponder it later,[/i] Aissa scolded herself, looking back into Muis-ka's eyes, that devastating mix of hopefulness and darkness. "I don't think this is something I'm going to be able heal completely," she told him honestly. She went on quickly before the hopefulness dropped completely out of his eyes. "But, I think that I will be able to help you today, and that in time you will be able to pull out of this."

"You have helped me already," Muis-ka said. "I can feel a change, though it is only small ..."

"I can do more than that," Aissa said firmly, and casting aside any residual worries of embarrassment, she shut her eyes and lifted her face to the sky.

She allowed the sun, refracted by the prisms of the fountain's water, to pour over her for a few moments, before opening her mouth and beginning to sing. The melody seemed to erupt from her mouth, somehow beautiful and fearsome at once. Opening her eyes, Aissa ignored all else and focused on Muis-ka, who, she realized, was cowering. She paid no attention to his reaction, kneeling to get closer to him at his seat on the fountain, the rippling notes still pouring from her throat. It was not the gentle, restorative zephyr of before, but something more powerful now, like a fire blazing up from a small spark among brittle leaves.

It took Aissa a few moments to remember where she was when she finally stopped, but it was immediately obvious that Muis-ka was ... better. Not cured, not by a long shot, but the haunted look had at least been lifted from his eyes. Aissa smiled.

It was only a few moments after that that Aissa began to hear the whispering, to see the looks of the passersby around her who'd witnessed the spectacle, to remember why she'd hesitated at first to use that form of healing in such a public place.

"Thank you," Muis-ka had begun, but she cut him off, eager to leave, consciously regretting drawing such attention to herself. "No thanks are necessary," she said quickly. "I'll contact you soon for another meeting, so we can determine your progress and possibly repeat this healing process ... And of course, payment is unnecessary until you've been completely healed."

Aissa felt as if she was shrinking within herself as the Ethai'En of the park murmured, and suddenly she felt like was the only Frae-Ren in all of Tal'Ebot. "I should go," she said, and turned tail to flee.[/color]

[size=1][color=sienna][b]When she couldn't sleep the night before, Leile knew that this day was going to be something different. She just didn't realize [i]how[/i] different it was actually going to be; especially how rapidly it changed on her. At first, she was just selling her merchandise. Minutes later, all hell broke loose. Well... that was an exaggeration, to say the least, but it certainly didn't seem to be far from the truth. From the looks of Muis-ka, all hell [i]was[/i] breaking loose, in Ma'Uriith. And for that dark man with the tattoos to suddenly appear.. well, it wasn't helping things, that was for sure. There was definitely something odd about that one, and though Leile couldn't quite put her finger on it, she knew that she wasn't the only one who felt it.

The healer Aissa seemed particulary perturbed with the man's presence, though no real reason was known. Perhaps she already knew him? Or maybe he just rubbed her the wrong way (the way he seemed to be rubbing everybody)? Whatever it was, Leile couldn't be sure. But as soon as those beautiful notes erupted from Aissa's mouth, Leile lost all focus and just stared. She'd never heard anything like that before, and from the looks of those who'd stopped around them, neither had they. Even the man with the tattoos seemed a bit impressed. Her song continued on for a few more minutes, though time seemed like nothing, and Leile blinked herself out of that trance-like state, feeling oddly refreshed. Maybe it was just being [i]there.[/i] Muis-ka certainly seemed rejuvenated, if not his normal, healthy self, and that was indeed worthy of praise.

But Aissa didn't seem to share the same feelings; instead, she drew back, and with those last words said, she turned to flee. Leile was completely lost, but it didn't stop her from chasing after her. "Hey! Wait a second, that was [i]brilliant![/i] I can't believe... [i]Aissa[/i], wait!!"

The two men left behind just blinked after them, one quick and silent and the other jingling constantly, before glancing at each other. Muis-ka paused, as though thinking heavily on something, before asking the tattooed man quietly, "You know of the shadow that hangs over Ma'Uriith, then?"[/b][/color][/size]

?I know everything there is to know about Ma?Uriith,? Anubis replied softly. ?More, perhaps, than the king himself.? He cast a penetrating glance towards the smaller man. ?In any event, it?s unwise for such a powerful healer to waste her talent on one such as yourself. If you wish to [i]feel[/i] better? [i]I[/i] can take care of that.?

?Wait,? Leile interrupted.

?Yes??

Something about his tone of voice stuck her as being subtly condescending. ?I don?t think it?s a good idea for you to interfere with Aissa?s work.? she told him. She knew that she didn?t sound very polite, but she doubted he would care.

Anubis gave her yet another enigmatic smile. He turned, locking eyes with Muis-ka, and whispered, ?[i]Etherus nefas[/i].?

Leile stiffened. For the briefest second, the air around them seemed to [i]bend[/i]?yet the sensation vanished almost instantly. Once it ceased, Muis-ka straightened up, staring curiously at his hands. ?What happened?? he asked, his voice hoarse with astonishment. ?What did you do??

?No need to worry,? the mage assured him. ?It?s still there? it will still consume you, given enough time. You [i]feel[/i] as though you?ve been cured, though?and isn?t that what counts??

Muis-ka sat down at the edge of the fountain, his breathing slow and unsteady. Leile looked back and forth between them, more than a little unsettled. Anubis simply held out his hand. ?I think we should go find that girl,? he said calmly. ?Aren?t you interested??

?Who are you?? she demanded, determined not to budge. Muis-ka certainly didn?t [i]look[/i] any healthier.

?Me?? the mage inquired. His smile widened slightly. ?Oh, that matters little. I simply want to help.?

[size=1][color=sienna][b][i]"Help?"[/i] Leile repeated incredulously, glancing back to Muis-ka, suddenly feeling very sick to her stomach. He wanted to [i]help?[/i] By making Muis-ka live a lie? At that she turned from the mage abruptly and kneeled next to the Ethai'En, looking for all the world as if she hadn't a clue of what to say. "...Muis-ka... are you...?"

He managed to give her a small smile, though it was nothing like the ones she was so used to seeing from him. She remembered all those little smiles back in Ma'Uriith. Back when the city was normal and she stilled traveled to the market every day with her father. [i]Her father.[/i] That terrible burning sensation in her throat was at full force now and it took an unreasonable amount of strength on her part to stay quiet as her old friend said, "I'll... be fine.."

Standing, albeit shakingly, Leile nodded numbly before glancing back to the mage. He still had that horrible smile on his face, but his invitation to find Aissa was one that she would not pass up. The other girl's song still resounded in her head and she knew that she wouldn't be able to rest until she knew what was going on. That, and she needed to know a little more about the man with the tattoos. Shaking her head in dislike, though not breaking eye-contact with Anubis, she muttered, "I have to do a couple things first."

"Of course," he agreed, and gestured towards her cart as though he were some sort of gentleman. It only irritated her more; she didn't even want to think about how he knew the cart was hers. Jogging back over to R'Enthe, her charms singing softly, she quickly set about putting things away. After each trunk was safely locked, including her own, she pulled the tarp back over it and locked that as well. A few days prior, she'd seen a mage in town about putting a little charm on the cart that would persuade would-be theives to stay away. She hoped now that she hadn't wasted her money.

After a few hushed words to R'Enthe and his snorted reply, Leile smiled and pushed her braids behind her long ears. The man looked perfectly amused, and once again gestured in the direction that Aissa had run, bowing slightly. It seemed as though he enjoyed pissing people off. [i]Well,[/i] she thought, [i]He's doing a very good job of it.[/i] Pressing her lips in a firm line, she crossed her arms and asked testily, "Don't you have a name or something? Because if you like, I can think of a rather appropriate one for you, if nothing comes to mind."[/b][/color][/size]

I'm making you guys come and find me. :p Heh, and sorry for making our characters take an instant dislike to Anubis, Dagger, I know he's supposed to be rather charismatic. Just didn't end up that way it would seem ... :p.

[color=green]Aissa's steps were quick and measured, not betraying her inner turmoil. She allowed her mind to run free, not concentrating on her direction, as her feet were familiar enough with the streets of Tal'Ebot that she wasn't worried about getting lost. She always allowed herself plenty of time between appointments, and her next one wasn't for a couple of hours, so she was free to wander ...

... And regret drawing such attention to herself.

Not that Aissa minded being the center of attention, not when she was around friends and family. But it was different in the city. Everyone's stares ... She couldn't know what they were thinking, but it felt as if they were all silently disapproving, wondering what a [i]mage[/i] was doing amongst them ... Tears came to her eyes and she tried to blink them away. [i]Hypersensitive[/i], she scolded herself. It was a common tease from her brother and criticism from her mom, neither of whom ever felt as affected as she did. [i]But she'd always been a sensitive child[/i], Aissa excused herself, and was dangerously near wandering into deplorable self-pity when a sound distracted her. It sounded like jingle bells, and was soon followed by "Aissa!"

Aissa turned to see the bouncy girl she'd met in the market, who didn't look too bouncy anymore, unfortunately. She was struck by Leile's solemnity, which didn't seem to fit from the little she knew of her. "Leile," she said. "Are you all right?" The question came out unbidden; Leile looked ... sad.

"I'm fine," Leile said. "I just wanted to know -- what's going on? What exactly is wrong with Muis-ka?"

Aissa sighed, and tried to keep her shrug nonchalant, though she felt closer to defeated. "I'm not sure," she said honestly, after a moment's debate of whether or not to lie. "It seemed to be some sort of curse, some dark force that hovered around him and refused to leave." After a moment of hesitation, she went on, "That man said that the problem was deeper than Muis-ka ... that it stemmed from the city of Ma'Uriith itself. I'm not sure ..." Aissa trailed off, and her expression soured slightly as a familiar tall figure swept down the street towards them.

"Anubis," Leile surmised from her expression, turning to watch him approach. "Well, maybe he can explain just what he meant when he said that."[/color]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Holy crap, Arcadia, you go to FSU?

---------

Elda looked at Ensis, then back at her father. Her father was beaming and Ensis was smiling gently. She sighed a bit.

"Alright, I'll go." She smiled.

[i]It can't be too bad....I don't really know Ensis and this will be a great opportunity to get to know someone. He seems to have a certain air about him that makes me wonder...[/i]

Taking him by surprise, she linked arms with him and began walking him towards the door.

"The marketplace, you say? And from there, where to?"

The two made their way out the door, into the bright spring sunshine. Elda flourished in the sunshine. She always told people who were sad that the only true remedy was a nice dose of sunshine.

"So tell me a little about yourself, Ensis..." Elda said happily as they neared the busier than usual marketplace.[/color][/size]

OOC: Haha, no problem. ^___^ It makes for a much more interesting dynamic, don?t you think?

Aissa would normally have been grateful to be in the company of another mage, no matter [i]how[/i] annoying he was. But this man? though his manner certainly infuriated her, her irritation only served to cover up a deeper unease. It was?it was almost as if he carried the same dark shadow as Muis-ka. Yet while that force had ravaged both Muis-ka?s body and mind, Anubis seemed to have made peace with it. Or perhaps he was simply powerful enough to stave it off.

?Aissa?? Leile asked, eyeing her worriedly. ?Are you alright??

She shook herself. ?Yes?. I suppose so.? Aissa turned to watch Anubis?s approach, and startled as she saw the empty street. He had just? vanished.

A second later, someone touched her shoulder. She bit back a scream and stumbled into Leile, nearly knocking the smaller girl over. Aissa clenched her fists, seething. She didn?t have to turn around to know who she would see.

Anubis was behind her?far too close for comfort. He was no longer smiling. This time, the mage?s face remained perfectly neutral, utterly devoid of emotion. Standing at Aissa?s side, Leile responded with an equally steady stare. Despite the rather significant difference in their heights, she refused to let this man look down on her.

?You,? Aissa said. She thought that her voice sounded remarkably calm, considering the circumstances.

His eyes were an ordinary sort of brown, but they appeared strangely flat, and their hue was oddly uniform. It seemed as though they absorbed light, rather than reflecting and refracting it. Though the effect was only noticeable upon close examination, it made both girls blink.

?Me,? Anubis replied, still expressionless. ?What do you have against a simple street magician, young woman??

[b]Meanwhile?..[/b]

?Do you want me to kiss it and make it better??

For several seconds, he didn?t think that the girl had even heard him. But then, just as Luthian was starting to wonder whether he ought to repeat himself, she performed a rather violent double-take?a sudden gasp, followed by leaping back, tripping, and finally settling into a modicum of balance with the aid of some vigorous arm-flailing.

[i]Heh, never had that reaction before.[/i]

Maia finally straightened up, tugging furiously at her cap. He noted with some glee that she was blushing. It was quite obvious, despite the darkness and her attempts to hide it.

?What, is the thought of kissing me really that scary?? Luthian asked, grinning. He knew he should probably give it a rest, but she was too easy to tease. So much for the blade-waving tough girl act.

Her only reply was a rather uninformative ?Mmrph.? She?d opened her mouth to say one thing, then changed it into something else entirely, as varying amounts of exasperation and embarrassment chased each other across her face.

?I?m Maia,? the girl finally muttered. She cast a quick glance at his face before fixing her eyes on the ground. ?I?ll walk you wherever you?re going. It?s not safe to be wandering around alone in the dark, y?know.?

Luthian blinked, quite taken aback. Was Maia trying to pick him up?

[i]Hmm?[/i]

?You?re offering to protect me?? he asked, struggling to keep a straight face. He had no doubt that she could defend herself, really, but there was something inherently amusing about this situation. She was young, potentially pretty, and obviously poor? under the circumstances, he?d be much more worried about the danger to her.

Maia scowled and crossed her arms, leaning forward to look him in the eye. ?Anything wrong with that??

?No, no,? he protested, laughing, and proceeded to sweep a deferential bow. ?Whatever you like, milady. My name?s Luthian. I was going to go home? unless you?d like to head back to the bar. After all, the night is still young.?

[color=crimson]"Well, I am originally from Shaar. Son of a man named Kenneth, famous in the northern regions of this continent. I arrived hear after a year of wandering, settled down. Not too interesting of a past, heh."

The activity quickly picked up , voices mixing with voices, crowds mixing with crowds.

"Shaar? I always wanted to visit there. The things I have heard about it make it sound so relaxing and beautiful." She said, looking over at a nearby vendor.

The mercant quickly started his salesmen routine, showing her all the things he had to offer. Elda spoke for a moment with the merchant, looking at a few items- but in the end, nothing really caught her eye to the point of purchase. They continued on to browse about some more.

"Shaar would benefit greatly from your beauty," Ensis said with a grin, "I would think that you would enjoy a city more bustling. That might be a bit off though."

"You are right, I do enjoy the hustle and bustle of city's. But I wonder sometimes what it would be like to live in a more relaxed town." She said, glanceing about at the crowds and pondering.

"I know what you mean. I used to wonder if the grand city's told about in books were as beautiful and grand as they appeared in the artwork."

A slight smirk appeared on her face as she spoke, "Well, look around you. Is it as grand as they said?"

"Yes. Yes it is. All that and more."[/color]

[color=hotpink][size=1]After making their way through most of the marketplace, Elda stopped in front of the dressmaker. There were beautiful dresses on display that were to be used for the dance during the Spring Festival. She sighed a bit and stared at them for a moment, gently touching the fabric of a white dress embroidered in golden colored thread.

"I don't think that's your color," Ensis said. Elda looked over at him, suddently aware once again of where she was.

"You don't? I think white is a wonderful color...but everyone always tells me it's blue or green..." She looked back at the dress that she still hadn't let go of.

"Well, why white?" Ensis asked.

"I don't know....since my mother passed away, I always imagine her in a glowing white. I imagine that she was a beautiful dancer. Some things like that I can't remember..."

Her eyes got that far away look that they often did and she sighed again.

"Let's get out of here..." Elda said.

"What do you mean, the market?"

"That's what I meant...but now that I think about it...."

She stood silent for a moment. It seemed as if the world stood still, waiting for to finish her sentence. Ensis shifted his weight a bit to his left.

"Think about what?" he asked cautiously.

She looked at him for a long moment, gazing at him.

"No, nothing, nevermind. But let's head over to the lake...I want to see the water..."[/color][/size]