OtakuBoards

Laeth E'Thae [PG-VL]

Arcadia

The streets of Ma'Uriith were quiet. In the past, they'd hardly ever been that way. Quiet nights were something that happened out in the country, where the people had no lives and went to bed as the sun set on the land. They didn't occur in big cities, especially one such as Ma'Uriith. But the last few months in Ma'Uriith have been different. The residents of the large city didn't notice the change at first; in such a city there are always changes, and life was always fast. If you stopped to smell the roses, it would leave you behind completely. Change was a part of every day life. And so when odd things began happening, the people shrugged them off at first.

The clouds were the first things to arrive. They came rolling in one late afternoon, dark and ominous, and as the last bit of light disappeared behind the horizon, the rain began to fall. The first night, the rain was torrential, and it didn't let up until the early morning, the next day. It had been many years since such a rain had happened upon Ma'Uriith, and so for weeks afterwards the clouds were the topic of every conversation. Part of that was because they never left; the city remained shadowed under them, wilting and fading just as every spot of green did. Moods began to sour, and talk wasn't so cheerful.

Around this time, a great number of people began to fall ill. They blamed it on the dark, bleak sky, and said that it would pass in time - it was like the first week of school; soon all the kids are sick and it spreads like wildfire, before dying out once their immune systems kicked in. But while a few got better, many did not. And the epidemic continued to spread, even to the outskirts of town. The phisicians were baffled, and even healers couldn't seem to beat it - they could only keep the person healthy for a few days before they were overcome with the same, strange cold.

Gardners could not keep their fields alive, and soon even the livestock began to fall in numbers. Everything was dying, except for the people. They began to speak in hushed voices, and they stayed away from shadows. Hardly anyone ventured outside unless they absolutely had to, and even then they travelled in groups and made the errands as quick as possible.

And then the King fell ill, and utter silence descended upon the city like one of Moses' plagues. That was like the last fatal sign - something was horribly wrong, and the one man they thought could pull them out of the slump became a victim of the strange flu that resided over the city. To make matters worse, the King was removed from Ma'Uriith and relocated to Feurith, where he would recieve the best medical help the land could offer. The young Prince left behind told the people not to worry, that soon they'd have the answers and the city would return to it's bustling self once again.

But more and more people have been leaving the city, heading to Feurith like the King, or to the shores for the fresh air and warm sun. And they say that walls are beginning to crack in Ma'Uriith, and some of the buildings groan late at night, as though under pressure. The city isn't safe any more, and not even the royal family can fight the growing fear deep within their own hearts, let alone the people's. The King in Feurith, despite his weakened state, has spent countless hours reading in libraries, researching similiar events in history, talking to advisors and healers and even mages, hoping to somehow stop the rains, stop the disease, and bring the sun back. But hope is fading fast, and things are only getting worse in Ma'Uriith...

-------
[size=1] Okay, sorry this is late. As I mentioned, I wasn't able to get on earlier because somebody asked a favor, and being the overly nice person that I am, I delivered. And I got back later than expected. And then my best friend back home called... and thus, this is stupidly late. *bows*[/size]

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?One more day....?

It was what he always said. One more day. He would stay in Ma?Uriith for one more day, watching the city slowly crumble. He?d known that [i]it[/i] was coming. He?d sensed it long before anyone else?years ago, when the King had been a younger man. Sixteen years, to be specific. But there was little point in counting, was there? The problem still remained: Anubis Nox, college drop-out and sometime black mage, had to choose a day to leave the city he loved.

He sighed lightly, letting his gaze sweep over the empty streets. Ma?Uriith was dying, and though he found the process rather interesting to observe, he could not remain here much longer.

?Feurith?? Anubis asked himself. It was amusing how he seemed to be the only person for miles who had the nerve to venture outside at night. ?No. Feurith will be full of cowards. Tal?Ebot or Uthmae, then. We?ll see where the wind takes me.?

He turned towards the city gates, tossing a coin over his shoulder for good luck. Anubis had never been superstitious, but he knew that he was not alone. [i]Something[/i] was out there, watching him, stalking him, and though he didn?t fear it, he knew that it would not leave his side until he was gone from this haunted city.

A few steps later, he stopped, lips curling in the slightest of smiles. Apparently he wasn?t the only wanderer out tonight. A much shorter figure was walking down the same street, though it was headed in the opposite direction. Anubis paused to watch, murmuring softly to himself all the while. ?Black clothes, white runes? rather young for an exorcist, aren?t you?? He rummaged through his pockets, finally producing a second bronze coin, and chucked it deftly at the boy?s head. ?You?ll need the luck more than I do, stranger,? he said amiably.

The mage turned, not bothering to watch the exorcist?s reaction, and strode away, his staff glowing faintly to light the path. A few more minutes, and Anubis would say farewell to Ma?Uriith?to the cursed place that it had become.

OOC: Nah, don't worry about it being late. Is my post alright?

[color=royalblue][i]Shrai'i Kell Chi-Rha swirled her scarf over her body artfully, then twisted her body once more and landed down in the peftect splits. The crowd cheered, tossed flowers, and generally called for more. She shook her head and blew them all a kiss, and exited stage left. With swift movements, she hightailed it for the tent she shared with one other dancer. As both of them were at the top of the bill, they got more breathing room.

Not that it mattered, she'd be happy with any place to lay down her head, given her past. But then again, claustrophobia was dreadful. Shrai'i removed her sweaty clothes, rinsed her naked body swiftly and toweled herself dry. It was cool tonight, but not that cool. She pulled on her sheer nightdress and crawled between thick cotton silk sheets. It was warm, and instantly blissful. Her eyes closed, and she knew no more.

She awoke very late in the evening, to hear the sound of her roomate's steady breathing. It was comforting, to know that another human being was near, but not near enough to smother. Her eyes half shut and she heard the sound of her own breathing. Nice and slow. Repetitive. Comforting. Really it was.[/i][/color]

In all her life, the girl called Maia Runeska had never once left the city of Kaer. So it was understandable, perhaps, that she had begun to grow restless. When the syndicate ordered her to travel to K'Urii, she'd spent the remainder of her money on a new set of picklocks?and a new set of paints. Maia had expected to make the journey alone.

?Forget it,? Breca told her. He was a stocky, businesslike man of forty or so, and had been her liaison with the syndicate for almost eight years. They rarely got along, but she trusted him wholeheartedly.

Maia?s scowl deepened. ?I don?t need a partner,? she said stiffly, folding her arms across her chest. ?You of all people should know that I don?t work well with others.?

?Too bad,? Breca replied. He shrugged, obviously amused by the girl?s annoyance, and handed her a sheet of parchment. ?The fact is, Runeska, you?re a thief?one of the best, to be sure?but if we want someone, er, disposed of?.?

?An assassin will have to come with me,? Maia finished. She scanned the sheet of paper. ?So who is she??

Breca smiled, knowing that Maia was done arguing. This was something of a pleasant surprise; he hadn?t expected the obstinate redhead to be so uncharacteristically agreeable. ?A Frae-Ren dancer?Shrai?i Kell Chi-Rha. She moonlights as a mercenary. Chi-Rha?s done several jobs for us in the past, although she?s technically a free agent. Anyway, she doesn?t live here in Kaer. You?re to contact her when you reach K?Urii. Just go to the address I gave you.?

Maia cracked a grin and thrust the parchment back into his hands. ?A bar, huh? Already memorized it,? she said cheerfully. ?So, can I get going, or what??

[color=royalblue][i]The next morning, when she awoke, the troupe was already striking down. Her partner was packing up her numerous things, jewelry, clothing, scarves of brilliant colors, and various trinkets she had picked up from former lovers and admirers. Shrai'i was glad she lived simple. She pulled on her long black leggings, her skirt, adjusted the top of her tunic, and wrapped on the belt. With practiced ease, she raised up her single silver leafblade, the thing she loved most in life, besides her scarf, and stowed it down the side of her thigh sheath. Then she pulled up her scarf, her most treasured gift, from her sidhe mother, sewn by immortals, given to her.

With a flick of her wrist, it settled on her head and wrapped around her face easily. She didn't like exposing herself unecessarily. It was annoying as all hells. Especially when they started flocking around her and her partner. She pulled the clasps down on her traveling boots and rolled up her sheets and the tapestry she had kept with her, just for kicks. Her tiny jewelry box contained all she needed, made of ebony, lined with black velvet. Silver and aquamarine, and that was all. Perfection. She didn't wear any today, although her roomate certainly did.

Their leader told them about their next gig. Which wasn't far away, they were simply moving INTO a building for once. A bar. A really high end bar. Her roomate was overjoyed, Shrai'i took the news like a Spartan. She really had no preference. But she was not about to play hooker, like the other girls were expected to. Without a word, she shouldered her pack of bedding and spare clothes, while the ebony box was tucked into her tunic belt. She took off and made it out into the blinding sunlight. Her backstage friend loaded up her roll and handed her the reins to her horse. She swung on into the sidesaddle with an odd sort of grace, then took control.

In a few minutes, she was at the top of the caravan, riding quietly next to the leader. As one of the headliners, she was allowed to roam wherever.[/i]

"Exited Shrai'i dear?"

"Ecstatic. Come now Genesis. You know me. I'm never excited."

"Unless you're killing something."

[i]He winked at her and she simply smirked. Her assassin habbits were not well known, but Genesis, the one man she trusted, was definetly informed. And he didn't care. As long as she didn't die.[/i][/color]

Kaze stared at the coin for a moment, almost with a depressed look on his ace, and turned to look at the man who had thrown it to him; he had already left. Kaze pocketed the coin and walked down the road, barely making any noise with his footsteps. He had a tendency to trod lightly, so as not to draw attention to himself from the living, or the dead...

He put his hood over his head just as a small group of people walked by him, all of them cloaked hevily and moving quickly, as though trying to hide from something, as well as also trying not to draw attention to themselves. One of them strayed off, bumped into Kaze and fell over, revealing a smaller child, who looked petrified. The group stopped and turned on Kaze, making gestures with their hands.
"Back, monster!"
"Stay away from our children!"
Kaze reared back and the child got to his feet and dashed back into the party, who continued to back away from Kaze.
"You are a demon, we see the truth alone!"
"Go back to hell, leave us be!"

Kaze watched as the group vanished around a corner, there was a rumble of thunder overhead and it started to rain, not a soft rain, a heavy torrent which would drown plants rather than nourish them. Kaze looked at the dilapidated buildings around him, his home. He looked into a small murky puddle, as though looking for an answer, but saw only mud. He stepped into a building with a solid roof, but with holes in the walls and a second floor balcony that was inacessible due to a collapsed staircase. There were holes in the floor, reveling patches of dirt, and the only good side was that there were no vermin or pests in the house, the reason for that probably being that they didn't even want to live there.

Kaze stretched and looked out the window, or rather, a hole in the wall, at the ruin around him. He sighed and lay down on the floor in his favorite sleeping spot, under the broken staircase. He sighed and rolled on his back, knowing that it wouldn't do him any good, since he had been deprived of sleep for years now...

After waiting for almost an hour, Kaze stepped outside into the fresh mud, since the rain had stopped, and now cast a heavy fog over the street. He walked away until he heard a scream from across the street, making no move to hurry, Kaze continued to walk at his normal pace, almost nochalantly, but he knew what was coming next.
"Back, abomination! Back!" An old woman's voince cried into the mist. Kaze looked back and saw this old woman stumbling across the street, and Kaze could see she was being chased by something, an even thicker fog. He looked ahead calmly, then conjured up his arms from the air...
"No, NO!" The woman cried as she slipped and fell, the mist closing in on her...
Kaze fired a shot, and it struck into the mist, he fired two more, and the mist began to glow and writhe, then it evaporated. The woman looked at him for a moment, the look of utmost horror on her face, and ran away.

Kaze watched her retreat, then walked down the street to an intersection, all the roads seemed to lead into a thinck fog and more ruined buildings, but he took a left and continued to walk straight. He rounded the corner and looked at the massive church, which seemed all right on the outside, but it was completely devoid of life. Kaze took another step forward, and pushed lightly on the door, which creaked open and sent a jet of cool air outwards. Kaze flinched slightly, then walked inside...

[color=maroon]The sun was hot on his back as he walked back towards his little place in the boarding house, having just finished his training for the day. Luth walked barefoot through the streets, his sandals slung over his shoulder haphazardly as he watched the people around him. It was some time past noon, and K'Urii was bustling about him as people went to lunch, gathered groceries and other little odds and ends, before hurrying back to the cool comfort of their own homes. He enjoyed this life immensely. Granted, he had love his life back in Caedwyn as well - Luthian found that he could make home just about anywhere - but all of this sudden activity was a nice change from the quiet, leisurely pace of his original home. Occasionally, he missed being able to just lay back in the hay, and suck on a piece of straw as he watched the clouds roll by, but there were plenty of things in this city to keep his mind occupied.

For instance, his training in the ways of the K'Urii, and specifically, the [i]Lith'Rii Urii[/i]. It was a warm, happy feeling, the way his muscles screamed at him every time he walked back from another session of training. Ah yes, he always did love a little bit of hard work. It suited him; he thrived in it, in the knowledge that he was under pressure, working against the clock, so to speak.

He ruffled his reddish-brown locks, tail floating languidly in the air, grinning to himself as he began to whistle some silly, bouncy tune, before a sudden presence attached itself to him. He jumped slightly, blinking at the busty blonde that had just latched onto his arm, his tail twitching in the air behind him. "Uh.. hi?"

"You rascal, you!" Every word she admitted was like a prolongued giggle, and although it was kind of cute for the moment, he was sure that he would go deaf soon if it continued very much longer. "I haven't seen you for weeks! Where have you been?"

And here was one of the [i]other[/i]... things... that kept his life interesting.

For the life of him, Luth coudn't place this woman at all. But he got the distinct impression that she remembered him quite well. "Oh, around.. working. You know. Stuff.."

She giggled coquettishly again, pinching his butt as she winked at him, and then proceeded to kiss his cheek as she whispered inquiringly, "Don't you miss me, Luth?"

[i]Gods... I can't remember her name... ****. Who the hell is she?[/i] "Oh, every night, I assure you," He managed to grin, before slowly pulling his arm away. "Sorry to run like this, but I've got to get back somewhere. Busy life, you know."

The blonde just pouted, giving him a sad little wave. "I'll miss you," she sniffled pathetically, obviously trying to act like an innocent little school girl. However, a school girl she definitely was not - her dress screamed otherwise, and Luth just blinked at her, before slowly waving back.

"..Okay..." He turned and began to walk a little faster, exhaling slowly as he ran his hand through his hair once again. "Damn," he muttered quietly, "I'm going to get myself into a lot of trouble these days." He glanced back then, at the blonde who nearly ravaged him, his tail dancing mirthfully behind him, before smirking. [i]Oh well.[/i][/color]

It was a long and rather boring journey, to say the least. A city girl to the core, Maia didn?t mix well with horses, and she absolutely loathed boats. Those several days spent roughing it across the Alwyrr Range had been the least miserable part of her trek. She might have enjoyed traversing the Sea of Xaern, were it not for the fact that she?d run out of money, and been forced to stow away on a large, smelly trading ship. Its cargo consisted entirely of half-rotten fish, which did little to cure Maia?s penchant for becoming violently seasick.

By the time they docked, and she crawled, gasping, onto steady land, Maia was in a vile mood. She picked a few pockets to buy herself dinner, and set off towards the address written on that piece of parchment which Breca had shown her. As she?d suspected, it was a bar, and a rather nice one to boot. She tilted her head back to scan the building, noting that it had several stories.

?What's above the bar? A hotel, a brothel, or both,? the girl muttered to herself, adjusting her cap. K?Urii was too damn hot for this heavy coat. She?d have to nick something more practical. ?If that woman makes me wait....?

Maia didn?t bother to finish her thought. Instead, she simply tossed her braid over her shoulder and stalked inside. She looked a little too young to be frequenting this establishment, but if her clothes didn?t scare the men off, her glare certainly would. She ambled across the room and plunked herself down on a nearby stool. All the other patrons were gathered into tight-knit little circles, chatting and flirting.

The bartender in particular seemed to be attracting a lot of attention. He stood a short distance away from her, surrounded by a swarm of undeniably gorgeous women. Maia reserved her most vicious look for that group. She wanted a goddamn drink, and those wannabe hookers were getting on her nerves.

?For the love of heaven, put on some clothes,? the redhead growled. She?d better not be forced to serve herself, or come tomorrow, pretty-boy might be missing a few of his most prized possessions. Just a few. When it came to thievery, Maia prided herself on restraint.

She glanced around the room, amber eyes dark with frustration. ?Where are you, Shrai?i??

[COLOR=darkblue]Nisha had just finished helping her mother and father for the day and she was headed for her usual place.

She muttered a spell and wings that looked like fairy wings sprouted from her back.She crouched and pushed off,the wings flapped and she was airborne.She cast another spell and the winds picked up and she directed them to blow her to the Monks' libraries.She always went to visit there.The ancient books held exellent spells.

"Hi Shin.How are you?"Nisha said to the monk standing at the door.
"Ah not too bad Nisha."he replied.

All of the monks knew Nisha because she usually came to the libraries everyday.

"That's good.Well I'm off to the normal section."
"Ok.Jaka's there."
"Great.Ok cya!"

Nisha walked in and headed to the section where all of the ancient spell books were.

"Hi Jaka!!"she greeted when she saw him.
"Nisha!Hi!"he said back.They were the same age.
"What are you doing??"Nisha asked him.
"what?Oh I'm just putting some books back on the shelves."

Nisha looked at the ground.Dozens and dozens of books were littered on the ground.

"That's some?"Nisha scoffed.Jaka just shrugged.
"Let me help.Accio"she called and the books flew off the ground and onto the shelves.
"Great!Thansk Nisha."
"No problem."she said.
"Accio Mystical Spells!!"she called and the book came flying down from the tallest shelf.She opened it and flipped through a few pages.She'd stop now and again to read a spell then keep going.Then she found something she was looking for.There were 2 spells.One was a create a summon spell and he other was summon a summon spell.She read through them and since she had good memory it was in her head.

She continued to flip through before looking at the clock and seeing it was late she got up and massaged the cramps in her legs before sending the book back up and leaving saying goodbye to the monks she passed.

Outside she called her flight spell and flew home.She had decided she would try the summoning spells tomorrow.[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]OOC:[/b]Where are we meeting?I missed the AIM chat so....Is it Ma?Uriith?If so when do we meet?

[color=crimson]Ensis puffed long and slow on his pipe, stareing at the clouds that slowly drifted across the sky. He sat on his roof with a curious expression on his face, resting within the folds of his mind in deep thought. His nearest neighbor stopped working in his garden for a moment and glanced at him. Grinning, he set down his tools and approached Ensis, who was too far in thought to notice his approach.

"You look as if you have something intellectual to say for once, Ensis!" He called out, tossing Ensis a small bundle of herbs as he did.

Breaking back into reality, Ensis caught the projectile in mid air- no less than an inch from his face. Examineing the bundle, he found they were in good condition, picked at just the right time- a great ingrediant for whatever medication he decided to make. It left a light, minty smell that mixed in the air with the smoke that trailed from his pipe.

Ensis stood and stretched, letting out a resounding yawn before takeing a quick leap downwards. He and Alex shook hands heartily, both of them being the best of friends.

"Those are the best I got for you this month," Alex said, pointing to the herbs in Ensis' hands, "Fresh as fresh can be."

"They are in fine condition- you might have a green thumb yet, Alex." He replied, looking over them once more.

"Oh trust me. I will be growing things that not even you can believe." He winked, "You going out on your usual journeys into the wilderness?"

"No, it is far too fine of a day to just go looking for plants and being with nature," Ensis said, eyes falling on the bustling town just a ways off, "I think I would prefer getting a drink and spending some of my money in town. Want to take the day off with me?"

"Sorry, but I have an appointment in town- going to talk to the mayor about the rights to the land around my house. If I get good news, I might be expanding this little graden into a money makeing business."

"Well, then I wish you the best. If you get a large farm out here, you are going to keep a small part just herbs for your good ol' neighbor- right?"

"Oh, maybe. Maybe not. Depends."

They chuckled and shook hands, Alex returning to his house to put his tools up. Ensis walked inside his own house and set the herbs on a table, takeing a few puffs from his pipe as he stared out a window, feeling an odd sense of 'wrong'. He had been feeling it for the past few days, especially when he used natural magic, but he could not put a finger on where the 'wrong' was.. part of the reason he needed a great day off.

Grabbing his staff, he walked out and shut his door, waving to Alex. Walking down the path, it slowly got less and less rough as the buildings got more and more dense around him. Reaching the main intersection in the middle of all the goings on, he turned right and headed straight for the bar- greeting his many friends and aquaintances as he went.[/color]

[color=royalblue][i]She instantly stiffened. Before she could blink, she felt a touch of cool silver steel on her neck and a soft breathy voice in her ear.[/i]

"Right here Maia."

"Where were you? I've been waiting an age."

[i]She turned her head slowly, and felt the steel swiftly withdraw. Maia stared into the twin silver pools that were Shrai'i's. The dancer smiled slightly and held out a glass filled to the brim with honey wine. Maia took it between her fingers gracefully and sipped it.[/i]

"So tell me, Maia, how was your journey?"

"It was hell. I'm not made for travelling."

"Shame. Oh well."

[i]The assassin was eyeing her with a look that could've been disgust, but was probably simply apraisal. She was dressed for theiving, and looked quite devious. Shrai'i on the other hand, was covered, but that could change in the blink of an eye. Maia watched her through lowered lids, not really concerned. Although she was quite good, she didn't know just what to think of her yet.[/i][/color]

[I]Saladin walked the streets of Uthmae looking for a place to stay.It was sad really this was his himetiwn and he didn't have a place he could call home.But it didn't bother him one bit.As long as he had a bed to sleep in he didn't care and he couldn't complain because it was better than sleeping out on the streets.After Saladin came upon an inn.It wasn't the best place he could find but he had been walking awhile and he didn't have anywhere to go so he checked in at the front desk and the clerk gave him a rusted key to his room.Saladin could tell no one had been here in some time because of the cobwebs hanging from various places.

Saladin-What a dump....

He brushed some cobwebs away from the door before walking in.To his surprise the room was well furnished unlike the rest of the hotel.Saladin threw done his bags and dropped onto the bed to rest for the days ahead.He was going to travel to Feurith in the morning.[/I]

[color=green]Aissa yawned, stretched, turned, snuggled deeper into her blanket.

"Sun's up, Aissa," a familiar voice came from behind her. She ignored it.

She would not, however, have ignored the hushed whispering of a muttered spell, if she had heard it.

Seconds later, Aissa felt a suspicious warmth near her feet, and sitting up to see what it was, yelped. "Arland!" she shouted aloud, her index finger pointed accusingly at the licking flames that were at the corner of her bedspread. Her voice returning to its customary calm tone, she said, "[i]Merus tha Nieesen[/i]," and the flames died out at her command. She sighed as she looked at the fresh charred marks on her blanket, adding to her gallery; this had to be at least the fourth time Arland had chosen this route to get her up.

Her younger brother was eating breakfast innocently by the time she appeared downstairs, and she didn't dignify him with anything more than a contemptuous look ... and, a brief fire spell that, though he put it out almost immediately with his own magic, at least burned his toast to a crisp.

Aissa squinted up at the sun as she strode quickly along the streets of Tal'Ebot, grudgingly thankful that Arland had awoken her when he did; she had an appointment in less than fifteen minutes. She wished she could've borrowed some of his good brotherly cheer and kept it in her pocket or something. There seemed to be less and less to smile about when she was out in the city.

Her morning was fully booked, something that hadn't happened very often in Aissa's history as a healer, even though she was reputedly one of the best in town. Aissa attributed it at least partly to the rumors emanating from Ma'Uriith, and the people who were supposedly fleeing from there as fast as their feet could take them ... It seemed to be affecting people's psyches, as a couple of her patients had shown up declaring they were on their last legs, and Aissa had found nothing wrong with them. She entered the building her patient had asked her to meet at, wondering if he would be another of those placebo cases ...[/color]

Though her clothing was?at the moment?fairly conservative, Shrai?i possessed a certain sensuous beauty which made most of the other women in the bar look rather cheap by comparison. Maia raised the wineglass to her lips, savoring the liquid?s clear, sweet taste. She hadn?t even sensed the assassin?s approach.

?Thanks for the drink,? Maia finally muttered. Her voice remained terse, but its tones now betrayed a sort of grudging respect. Shrai?i was a professional in every sense of the word, and if she had to work with [i]someone[/i], well, this woman seemed more than competent.

Shrai?i inclined her head. ?My pleasure,? she said smoothly, sliding into the seat next to Maia?s.

The younger girl blinked and took another gulp of wine. ?I?ve never seen silver eyes before,? she said, obviously curious, but then caught herself. The best way to cover up her rudeness was probably by changing the subject. ?Look at them,? Maia grumbled, jerking her thumb towards the bartender?s harem. ?How on [i]earth[/i] does he put with that??

Shrai?i raised her eyebrows. That sole action was the only sign of her amusement?it didn?t seem as though laughter came often to her lips. ?Very easily, I might expect,? she replied dryly.

[i]I like her[/i], Maia decided. [i]Sensible[/i] and [i]dangerous. I doubt she?s the type to switch loyalties[/i]. She turned away from the crowd of women, determined to ignore their high-pitched tittering, and leaned forward, resting her chin on her hand. ?So where are we going? My contact told me next to nothing.?

[COLOR=royalblue][i]The words dripped off her lips like the thick honey wine in her glass.[/i]

"He was very wise not to."

"Well?"

[i]Shrai'i raised her eyebrow again, and smiled, enjoying Maia's discomfort. Although it would've been about as safe as waving a red flag infront of a raging bull, she couldn't resist telling her anyways. The dancer leaned over slowly, bringing her lips to Maia's ear, her voice a sweet whisper. To everyone else in the bar, it looked like the two were about to indulge in the urge to merge. But they knew better.[/i]

"We will be paying a visit to his Lordship, of this place... ...in addition to bereaving him of his wealthy, we will also be releiving him of the burdens of six wives."

[i]Maia had the world's greatest poker face, and employed it now. She registered no shock, or apparent emotion. But she had enough sense to simply look amused and blush a tiny bit.[/i]

"Oh. Is that all?"

"Quite so I'm afraid. Although I plan on letting them finish their own good selves off."

[i]She fingered the vial around her neck. Maia looked closer, then drew away with a start. It was filled with a swirling blue liquid. And when she looked inside, she could see something screaming in either pain or rage. She looked at Shrai'i, who was smiling once more.[/i][/COLOR]

[color=maroon][i]Good lord, what is it with women today?[/i] Luthian mused, cleaning a few glasses as the ladies in question took up that corner of the bar, all of them leaning over and giggling and eyeing him voraciously. He smiled at them congenially, his tail swaying in the air comfortably behind him, and tried his best not to encourage them. They didn?t really seem to need his help, however, and he constantly found himself pressing his finger to his lips in hopes that maybe one of the times they?d catch the hint and stay quiet for good. Unfortunately, they didn?t seem to catch on to [i]anything[/i].

He turned away, setting the glasses back in the cabinet above the counter, before he caught sight of two other ladies at the bar. Glancing briefly to the other women, wiping his hands on a towel, he sighed internally, wishing for once that they?d go away. He had a horrible headache.

Turning his full attention on the redhead and her apparent friend, he gave them a grin and raised his eyebrows, ?So what?ll it be, ladies??

[center][b]meanwhile[/b][/center]

Covering her mouth as she yawned loudly, one eye sqinting shut and one peering ahead, Leile decided once and for all that she was most definitely [i]not[/i] a morning person. Her hair made enough noise by itself, however, to keep her awake. The towns people always recognized her right away because of the jingling noise coming from the little beads and charms in her hair. She liked to think she planned that sort of thing; that deep down, she really did have her father's talent when it came to charming people and selling various things to them. But then the dream would usually end when she'd trip and fall into a puddle of mud, and Leile remembered that the only thing that kept her going was luck. That, and today she had a very firm grip on R'Enthe's reins, so if she went down, so did the horse.

"G'morning, 'Ils," called out an older man, located behind one of the street's many stands. "Starting a little early, eh?"

Leile smiled slightly at the nick-name, nodding once. "Yeah, I thought I'd try my luck. Couldn't hurt any," she agreed, before giving him a little wave goodbye. Truth be told, she was probably pushing her luck, but that definitely wasn't anything new. As the man ducked out of sight, Leile turned her eyes back ahead, searching for her usual spot to make sure it was clear. Thankfully, it was - she didn't feel like arguing this morning. And, it gave her plenty of time to think about the troubling dreams she had the night before. She stopped R'Enthe with a gentle tug on the reins and a click of the tongue, before unhooking him from the cart as she set up camp for the day.

In actuality, she didn't get much sleep at all the night before. Her father's letter, sent to her a few days before last, had worried her, and it had continued through the days as she'd heard more rumors about Ma'Uriith and the horrors within it. Occasionally, she caught sight of some haggard looking travelers, all of which headed immediately for the medical wards. A strange, burning feeling took her throat yesterday and she couldn't shake it, and it continued well into the night. Finally, she gave up trying to get some sleep and just got up and got ready in the early hours of the morning. Now, as she rolled back the canvas covering her goods, she thought that perhaps it was just fear. Soul-gripping, overwhelming fear for her family and for the capital, but fear nevertheless.

R'Enthe seemed to sense her troubled thoughts and whinnied softly, nudging her arm. She smiled and gave his neck a good rub before seating herself on the edge of the cart, sighing. Frowning certainly wasn't going to help her sell any of this. With a cheerful smile, she began waving to passerbys as she called out, "Come buy my stuff! See what's in the cart today; you know you want to.."

[size=1](Right, okay. For those of you in Ma'Uriith... you may want to relocate soon. As you know, and can obviously tell, it's kind of falling apart, and it's not going to stop until the entire city is gone. I don't think you'll want to be there when that happens. Cause then you'd be dead. This is part of the curse set forth by Prince Riian, all those years ago.. it just took it's sweet time getting started. And the destruction is not going to stop there, so you've been forewarned.

Also, you might be interested to know that it is indeed spring, and the celebrations for spring have not yet begun. Hint hint. That is all.)[/size][/color]

[color=royalblue][i]Shai'i's sensual smile was definetly an upside in the bartednder's rather monotonous life. And her partner seemed to be equally accomidating, if less erotic. Only thing was, neither of them seemed interested in bedding him. And that was what amazed and excited him. The way the dancer turned her head was incredibly graceful....and he... forced himself back to reality. She spoke, and he had to catch himself.[/i]

"Two glasses of white wine please."

"Coming right up."

[i]Maia watched the way Shrai'i operated. Her voice was silk brushing against melting ice, and her eyes were orbs of silver. Both parts of her seemed to be so unreal, but were obviously tangible. She looked away and contented herself to watch the traffic of the street. It was good to be in a city again. The bartender came back, and set down two flutes of white wine. Shrai'i raised hers between two delicate fingers and winked at the bartender.[/i]

"Thanks."

"Any time."

[i]Maia nodded her head before drinking it slowly. The dancer grinned and then set down her empty glass.[/i]

"We have a concert tonight, meet me backstage."[/color]

Kaze looked around inside the dilapidated church. He was expresionless, and was now holding a large cracked wooden rod, as though for support. He looked at the ruin around him and stopped, as he heard a breath come from behind the altar.
"Ka..." It seemed to be a voice, but it sounded more like a raspy gust of wind than a voice, however, it did seem to make words.
"Ka.." Kaze heard a piercing shriek from behind him, and whirled to see a poltergeist floating in an ethereal cloud before him.

He drew a pistol and took a few small shots, leaning on the rod he was holding. The ghost floated into the air and chucked a boulder at him, which he blasted out of the way with another shot. The spirit vanished, and Kaze turned his attention back to the voice. An old man was crawling out from under the altar, but his face and body were so thin that they appeared to be nothing more than bones wrapped in a single layer of skin. He also had no eyeballs, and his mouth appeared to be frozen open.
"Kaze..."

Kaze whirled as the ghost formed again, and took a few smal shots, but it whirled high above his reach and began chicking the pews in the church at him. He rolled and ducked out of the way, then began to focus his mind power. Using all the concentration in his body, Kaze gripped his right forearm with his left hand, and a swirling mass of green energy began to flow to his fist, which then straightened out and became a pale green blade, almost completely transparent. The poltergeist whizzed low, and Kaze jumped high into the air and cut it with the tip of his blade, it split open where a wound would appear on a normal man, and the ghost writhed for a moment while a white light poured out of the wound...and it evaporated. The energy left over flowed back into Kaze, while the soul itself was sent away to rest...

"Kaze..." The creature said again.
"You can...not stay here, you are a child, you should leave..."
"I have to stay, Father, there is work to be done, spirits to heal."
"No, there is nothing you can do, please leave and live a better life..." Kaze stared at the old man, then plunged the broken rod into the old man's chest, then shot it a couple of times. It evaporated.

Kaze looked pensive as he left the ruin, the old man was the priest of the church, and had always treated Kaze like a son, but now he had died, and had used the last of his soul to reanimate himself and tell Kaze to leave. Kaze looked out of the town as far as the fog would go. Without giving it a second thought, he threw away the old rod and began to walk away...

OOC: Sorry for the short post, I'm really tired

That was short? I think you're turning into me, dear o.O

[color=green]Aissa stepped through the door and was transported into another world. Well, it seemed that way, at least. It wasn't a building as she'd originally thought, but a front for an open-air market filled with people selling their various wares. As she noticed goods ranging from food to fashions, Aissa wondered perfunctorily how she'd never come upon this place ... it could've been a wonder for accessories.

[i]Meet me by the water fountain[/i], the letter from her client had instructed, and Aissa had naively thought it would be a small drinking fountain, not a good-sized decorative spray in the corner of the area. It was unusual for her patient to have picked such an open spot to meet. Customarily, people wanted to keep their illnesses as quiet as possible, not to mention their having to visit her for cures.

Aissa sat at the water fountain, gazing upon a tiny but energetic female advertising her goods while she waited. Her spirits seemed to pick up from the busy surroundings, something she hadn't ever expected from a meeting with a client.

"Aissa?" a hoarse voice croaked from her left.

Aissa turned, and all of her good feelings fled immediately.

It was not a question that this was the client who had made the appointment. Or, on the off chance it wasn't, he should definitely be making an appointment soon. He was an average-sized Ethai'En, perhaps in his early 30's, and not extraordinary to look at. But his eyes were sunken, a black despondency harrowing the features of his face, aging him by ten years and casting a cloud over everything nearby. Aissa felt as if the grass was shriveling in his shadow, though when she looked down, she realized it was just her imagination.

"Tr -- Mr. Tra'uim?" Aissa said, and though she tried to remain professional, her voice was shaking. The other nodded, and she paused for a moment, regaining her composure. "What can I do for you, Mr. Tra'uim?"

"Please, call me Muis-ka," he said, and his voice struck her again like a red-hot iron on the chest. "That's what my friends call me."

"All right, Muis-ka, what seems to be the problem?" Aissa said, nearly wincing at the own chipper sound of her voice. In view of his state, it didn't seem right.

The man looked up at her with his darkened eyes, as if he sensed the slight irony as well. "I come from Ma'Uriith," he said.[/color]

OOC: Heh ... may not have been as obvious as I'd hoped that that's an (optional) cue for your character to be around, Arcadia.

Maia nodded. ?Sure. I?ll see you there,? she said quietly, setting her half-empty glass on the counter before rising to leave.

For once in her life, she made sure to keep her expression carefully blank. She?d seen the way that pretty-boy bartender looked at Shirai?i. She?d also seen the way he?d looked at [i]her[/i]. It had been a brief, almost dismissive glance?. and less than a second later, he?d turned to let his eyes linger on the older, lovelier Frae-Ren woman.

[i]If you had a mother, she would?ve warned you against going moony over good-looking men[/i], Maia told herself. She shoved her hands in her pockets and pushed her way outside. It was good to get some fresh air after sitting in the smoke-filled bar.

She felt painfully young; both Shirai?i and the bartender had at least a couple years on her. Whenever she grew particularly irked, her fingers started itching like crazy, and right now was no exception. But why did this irritate her so? [i]Goddamit?. I need to steal something. Not yet, though. Maybe I?ll nick something from [/i]him, [i]after all?[/i]

Maia shrugged off her coat, pulled her cap down over her eyes, and leaned back against the building?s outer wall. It was fashioned of cool, rough stone?not entirely comfortable, but she had the ability to fall asleep just about anywhere. And a very useful ability it was, too.

She closed her eyes, suddenly exhausted. [i]Just a quick nap, then. I?ll wake up in plenty of time for her concert. I bet pretty-boy?s going to be there?. along with that god-awful fan club of his. Not having a very good day, am I?[/i]

OOC: Arcadia and Terra, are your characters going to meet in Tal?Ebot? I wasn?t sure if I should wait for Leile and Aissa to get acquainted before Anubis shows up. Which way would you prefer it?

[color=crimson][b]OOC[/b]: Fenwyr needs to live up to its' description and Ensis needs something to do.

I hope I describe this somewhat to what you seemed to be imageineing.. if it isn't, I can edit it.

Also the time frame that I put seems alright for the things that we talked about in the meeting, heh. If not, tell me.

Now for the writeing..
----

Ensis stopped in the street, catching a breif glimpse of a large mass of people just off to the right in the majestic, open townsquare. He saw a mass of workers rushing about- just, he could not think of a reason for something of this level. It took a few seconds for the thought to click in his head- the Spring celebration.

"[i]Damned, I had almost forgotten.[/i]"

They were decorateing, speaking with various merchants, even getting the opinons of townspeople. Several small construction efforts were mainly centered on the outside areas of the square- and.. beyond? Suddenly, Ensis noted that the whole city was being decorated- he had been so busy with his own affairs that he blindly missed it. This appeared to be a festival that you could not miss- simply because it was going to be every where it could possiblely be.

Even the flora seemed ready to lend it's own aid to the happy celebration- but there was still that lingering...

"[i]Well [b]this[/b] explains the abnormal flood of tourists[/i]," he thought- just to avoid the odd, pulseateing sense of 'wrong' that dully lapsed in his mind.

A bright, colorful poster caught his eye next- hung on the wall just inside his field of vision, prominantly displayed for everyone and anyone. Ensis took a few steps foreward and examined it to check for an exact date to burn in his memory. It was to be held just a few nights from now- "When the flowers are the brightest to match our spirits, and celebrate as much as we" said the poster.

"[i]They are going to be rushing about for the next couple of days.. Fenwyr is famous for its' celebrations, but this year they seem to be going all out.[/i]"

A large smirk crossed over his face as his thoughts remained firmly set on the various good times that were just nights away..

But, off to the side, an older Ethai?En stood, surronded by several intelligent looking individuals. They were talking amongst themselves, gestureing at the work efforts. Once and awhile the Ethai?En would nod, or comment. Finally, when all to be said was, he dismissed the small group around him, all of them heading back twards the large, mixed effort.

Takeing a glance to the side, he noted the large, healthy looking young man standing quite close. Eyes clearly set on the poster, lost in thought- the man was daydreaming about the festival. There was a need of workers, and this one looked like he could handle himself with some tools..

Nodding to himself, the Ethai'En approached him and patted him heartily on the shoulder, offering his hand. Comeing out of his daze, Ensis shook it.

The Ethai'En gestured to the poster as he spoke, "This one promises to be a good one," a hint of certainity in his voice, "and thank the heavens it is almost here."

"It looks to be quite a special one. I will be definately attending this." Ensis said, he knew quite well the Ethai'En was just beating around the bush- he wanted something of Ensis.

"My name is Tret'ek and I am the head planner of all things festival. I am in charge of makeing sure this city looks 'festive' enough to have a 'festival'."

"Yes, in general a festive looking city would be good for a festival," Ensis said with a grin, "What is it you want of me, Tret'ek?"

"We are in need of some help with pulling this whole thing off. You definately are not a foreigner to this town from the way you look, and we like hireing locals. What do you think?"

"Hmm. What does it pay?"

"Quite well, considering you just do a few days work. I could give you an exact figure, if you want.."

"No, actually. That is alright. This sounds like a good deal of fun. Count me in."

He smiled broadly, takeing out a small list that had various names and pages of information scribbled on them. Takeing a small feather pen, he flipped through a few pages to one that was half empty and gestured for Ensis to follow him. Complying, he was lead through the town square to a large wooden table. Tret'Ek grabbed a chair and sat down.

"Alright, all I need is your last name, Ensis."

"Veneficus."

"Veneficus? No wonder! I knew there was something odd about you, you are a Veneficus! You guessed my intentions from the start, didn't you? You Veneficus are quite the adventurers, right?"

Ensis nodded, before arching an eyebrow, "Yes, I have heard several rumors saying that," and endingthe sentence with a wink.

Tret'Ek chuckled at that, scribbleing down a small paragraph of information underneath Ensis' name. Double checking what he wrote, Tret'Ek nodded and stood, still flipping through various pages of information.

"Alright Ensis. I am going to skip just tossing you into construction- unfortunately, you are still getting a pretty redundant task. I need you to go around town to all the pubs and bars that you can."

Stepping over to a large crate midsentence, he pulled out a medium sized stack of posters and placed them in Ensis' hands.

"Place these inside and outside them- you might need to ask the bar owner first, sometimes they get testy about this. Why? I don't know. Just do it out of respect for the establishment, heh."

Ensis nodded, "Alright. I gotcha. Consider it done," waveing quickly before running off twards the nearest bar.

"[i]Ironic.. I still end up heading for a bar anyway.[/i]"

----

Phew. That took too long. :X[/color]

[COLOR=royalblue][i]Maia's nose twitched. Something was tickling it. She grabbed it and found herself holding a long slim rope. She looked up, and saw Shrai'i waving from the window.[/i]

"Come up, we're having dinner."

[i]Maia needed no other information. With measured steps, she scaled up the side of the buildling, assisted by Shrai'i's firm grip. She grasped the sill of the window and rolled in. Shrai'i's roomate was out, probably with her newest set of lovers, but both trays had been delivered to their room anyways. Maia looked about. It was furnished rather well, two large beds, a table and three chairs. Quite different from this morning, Shrai'i was dressed in a shorter skirt of gossamer spider threads and had the scarf wrapped around her scantily clad chest and arms. She winked and gestured to the tray full of hot rolls, soup, and fruit wine.[/i]

"I have a performance...otherwise, I would not be dressed like this."

"I believe you."

"Fall to it."

[i]She smiled and watched Maia tuck in hungrily. She had already eaten, and took the ebony box out, putting the final touches on her costume. Her makeup of talc, khol, and lime was already complete, but that didn't end it. She pulled out two chains of upside down hearts and clipped them into her hair, then followed up with her bangles around the wrists and ankles. Maia watched surruptitiously. For a final touch, she added on the long silver earings that twisted with every movement. The dancer turned back to Maia from the mirror.[/i]

"It's complicated."

"It's your life. ....thanks for dinner."

"Take a nap if you want, or come watch from the back."[/COLOR]

[color=hotpink]OOC: Sorry for the delay...*Sighs*

----

[size=1]Elda stood outside of her father's bar, taking a break. It was a bit humid in there, and she needed some fresh air. She smiled as she saw the decorations around Fenwyr and felt her chest fill with an anxious glow. She knew that in a few nights, she would finally be able to dance once again, something that she thrived in.

The bar was loud today, with many new people coming in for the festival. She was happy to see more people, but felt that she was coming under the strain of unwanted attention. This was unusual for her, since she was normally always happy for the attention, but since her father was promoting her to marry, she found herself scrutinizing the visitors more and more.

Sure, there were many nice gentlemen in Fenwyr who had been courting her for years, hoping that the beautiful and elegant blonde would be their trophy wife, but Elda wanted more than that. She wanted someone who was from far away...someone who could show her things and take her places. Someone who would love her because of who she was and not because of her distracting golden waves or her graceful dancing or her elegant blue eyes.

She laughed slightly. "Me and my silly romantic ideals..."

She looked up into the sky at the beautiful sunshine that was characteristic of the spring. She smiled to herself. She heard her father calling for her inside. The took one last deep breath and plunged back into the bar.

After serving a few crude men, Elda smiled at them and looked up, noticing Ensis, the healer, walking into the bar. She had only been introduced to him a few times, but she always found that he was enjoyable company. She noticed that he was carrying posters for the festival. She felt that anxious glow in her chest again as he walked over to her.

"Hello, Miss Elda. How are you today?"

Smiling, Elda answered, "I am wonderful. And you?"

Ensis smiled himself. "I am doing fine. May I ask where your father is?

Elda looked around and noticed that he wasn't out in the bar.

"He must be in the back doing something, would you like me to go and get him?"

"Well, if he is busy, I really do not want to bother him..."

"What do you need, then? Perhaps I can help." Elda smiled once again.

"Well, I just need permission to hang this poster, is all."

Elda looked down at the posters and shivered slightly.

"As his daughter, I say please, hang one here. I love the Spring festival, as does my father, and I know that he would not mind having one of your posters here."

Ensis nodded and thanked her appropriately, hanging his poster carefully nearby the door. Elda began walking towards the backroom where her father was, looking back over her shoulder at Ensis before entering the room.

Her father was standing there watching her.

"He's a nice young man, Elda. And he's very skilled in what he does."

Elda just looked at him. "You came back here on purpose, didn't you?"

Her father smiled and went back into the bar, returning to his duties.[/color]

-----

Bah, that was awful. I hope I get more in the RPG mode next time.[/size]

[color=sienna]Luthian prepared their drinks easy enough, though the two ladies troubled him. It was a nice sort of trouble, and he was relieved to find that not all the good-looking women in town were whores, or were well on their way to being one. That thought made him roll his eyes, but he had to remind himself that it was always the little, stupid things that always make the biggest difference. Or something. But still, they seemed like an odd pair in the bar that night, and he realized that he didn't recognize them at all. Maybe not from around these parts?

After handing the women their drinks, he was called over to another customer on the other side, whom asked for a drink that was little more intricate than a simple glass of wine. He gave the man his sure-fire grin and a nodded his head before setting to work; when he turned again to glance at the graceful woman and her friend, they were gone. Go figure.

He finished the man's order and set it before him, smirking as he said, "You enjoy that one, sir," and recieved the money due. Taking it back to the register, he sighed, feeling like a drone as he went through the motions. He looked forward to just going home and going to bed - practise this morning had been a little more vigorous on his energy than it usually was, and it was really starting to show. But as he turned back to check for new faces to tend to, he heard some one call out his name.

"Luthian! Hey, when do you get off?" The familiar sound of his friend and fellow Lith'Rii Urii student Nalya made him smile and he noticed her leaning over the bar, waving to catch his attention. He walked over, crossing his arms on the counter in front of her. "When do I get off?" He asked, raising his eyebrows, flicking his tail back and forth.

She nodded, tucking her long bangs behind her even longer ears. "Yeah, cause there's some kind of dancing show later. I though it would be good for us. You know, we can go learn to be graceful or something. Gods know I need the help," she added, rolling her eyes.

Luth just grinned, and messed up her hair. "Maybe, we'll see. I should get off half an hour from now.. you gonna stick around?"

Swatting at his hand, she tried to smooth her dark tresses back to some semblance of normalcy. "Not with all these tramps," she said, and loudly, earning a few insolent looks. "No, I'll just see you there, if you decide to show."

He just nodded, and said a quick goodbye before turning to another new customer, once again forcing that brilliant smile of his back onto his face. As always. As his tail hung limply behind him, he just wondered how no one seemed to be able to see through that smile, at times like these.[/color]

?You look nice,? Maia told Shrai?i. The girl frowned, glimpsing Shrai?i?s knowing smirk. ?Hey, it?s a compliment. I definitely couldn?t pull that off.?

?Well? Will you watch??

Maia tossed her head. The movement had been intended to flick the long, heavy braid over her shoulder, and though it succeeded, she?d looked rather comical in the process. Shrai?i hid a smile behind her hands. Oddly enough, Maia?s charm seemed to lie in her lack of refinement.

?Yeah. We can pay that Lord a visit when you?re done. I?ve already got all my tools and such?but I suppose you?ll have to change clothes first.?

The assassin?s smile turned sly. She stroked her scarf, smoothing it into place. ?We?ll see.?

Maia followed Shrai?i backstage, and watched idly as she conversed with the other dancers. Her new picklocks were still in mint condition? she could hardly wait to try them out. She?d brought some paper, too. Large coats had their advantages; Maia?s was capable of carrying nearly all of her worldly possessions.

Humming tunelessly to herself, the redhead sat cross-legged in the wings, trying not to get in anyone?s way. She fumbled through her pockets for a few minutes before finally extracting a stubby charcoal pencil, and flipped to a fresh page in her sketchpad. Perhaps she should draw Shrai?i. Maia had a knack for capturing movement?not merely the semblance thereof. Besides, her paintings were filled with all manner of dark, wild figures. Depicting this springtime dance might make for a pleasing contrast.