OtakuBoards

Downloading Anime

Bardock03

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bardock03 [/i]
[B]Ummm...sorry I gues... And its "piracy..." [/B][/QUOTE]

it was a typo.

Piracy stops the companies from getting money!

less money=less anime
less anime=angry people

but I believe their is anime on bittorent but I storngly don't suggest anyone bootlegging .

[quote]Piracy stops the companies from getting money!

less money=less anime
less anime=angry people

but I believe their is anime on bittorent but I storngly don't suggest anyone bootlegging .[/quote] I strongly disagree with this opinion. You have to look at the big picture: Bandai and other big anime distributors are completely aware of the "bootlegging" process, and know already of those "illegal" websites from which you d/l your free anime and manga (hey, if it's on the first page of a google search, do you think it's really well hidden?). So why do they let it keep going?

Reason #1: Most fansubbers and translators do only unlicensed anime and manga, and it is hard to take legal action on something you don't have any rights to. They could inform the owners in Japan, but do you think they will care that people are spreading their shows to areas that, without some translation, would be an unrealized market?

That brings me to reason #2: Fansubbers and translators are actually a beneficial part of the anime and manga communities. What this gives distributors is, "What will fly," and "what will fail" idea. In other words, they can see the popularity of fansubbed material and, with that information, determine whether an anime is profitable or not. Yes, that isn't the only factor distributors use, but it certainly is one of the biggest.

There's a difference between downloading anime for free and actually buying a fansub. The only legitimate reason to buy a fansub is if the anime in question hasn't been released wherever you live (and won't be in the near future). Even this isn't really legal, but companies generally choose to overlook it.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]There's a difference between downloading anime for free and actually buying a fansub. The only legitimate reason to buy a fansub is if the anime in question hasn't been released wherever you live (and won't be in the near future). Even this isn't really legal, but companies generally choose to overlook it.

~Dagger~ [/B][/QUOTE] O_o People actually purchase free fansubs?! Now that's just plain wrong - not the person who purchased it, but the person who is selling it. You are making $$$ with someone else's intellectual property (I think that's what it is called), and I'm one of many people who would hate to buy the same thing twice (one fansub and one official version).

Fansubs should be free. Otherwise, someone is ripping you off (and it is usually not the fansub group/team).

[strike]EDIT: Oh, and btw, [quote]I believe their is anime on bittorent [/quote] Yeah, most anime online is distributed via BitTorrent. Yeah, there are means through IRC and Kazaa, but the former is for elite computer junkies, and the latter is the "second helping" group (Kazaa is the last place an anime will be available). If you want the anime the first time it is available, you'll want to use BitTorrent. The reason BitTorrent is the program of choice is because there is an extremely small amount of load put on the primary server, as you are distributing pieces to other people while you are d/ling from those same people.[/strike]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AzureWolf [/i]
[B]I strongly disagree with this opinion. You have to look at the big picture: Bandai and other big anime distributors are completely aware of the "bootlegging" process, and know already of those "illegal" websites from which you d/l your free anime and manga (hey, if it's on the first page of a google search, do you think it's really well hidden?). So why do they let it keep going?

Reason #1: Most fansubbers and translators do only unlicensed anime and manga, and it is hard to take legal action on something you don't have any rights to. They could inform the owners in Japan, but do you think they will care that people are spreading their shows to areas that, without some translation, would be an unrealized market?

That brings me to reason #2: Fansubbers and translators are actually a beneficial part of the anime and manga communities. What this gives distributors is, "What will fly," and "what will fail" idea. In other words, they can see the popularity of fansubbed material and, with that information, determine whether an anime is profitable or not. Yes, that isn't the only factor distributors use, but it certainly is one of the biggest. [/B][/QUOTE]

no no no! your looking at the picture wrong here.

Fansubbers are breaking the law, just because it's not liscensed here doesn't mean it's not in japan.

Fansubbing isn't as helpful as you think.

Fansubs are on the first page of goggle yes, but so is kazaa and other bootlegging programs.

when people download fansubs the majority doesn't go out and buy it when it is dubbed. so the companies lose money.

Also you made the comment "people shouldn't pay for fansubs" Well it cost money for the disk so they need some money also, But I would have to say they should be alot cheaper.

No matter how hard you try over looking the facts. downloading anime is against the law, your not allowed to but people do it anyways. The people who suffer are the people who are forced to pay more for rasing costs because, companies are not making enough money.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by craig8429 [/i]
[B]no no no! your looking at the picture wrong here.

Fansubbers are breaking the law, just because it's not liscensed here doesn't mean it's not in japan.

Fansubbing isn't as helpful as you think.

Fansubs are on the first page of goggle yes, but so is kazaa and other bootlegging programs.[/B][/QUOTE] Yes, they are technically breaking the law, but I'm saying it's not a bad thing. First, the people who own the material don't seem to care all that much because, as I have mentioned before, it helps their business by telling them what's worth porting over and what is just not applicable to a culturally different society. I'm pretty sure I know how helpful fansubbing is (proud fan of fansubbing since I first found out about them :D), so I can vouch for them that they bring good things. [quote]when people download fansubs the majority doesn't go out and buy it when it is dubbed. so the companies lose money.[/quote] You are missing the point: the majority of those people who will d/l an anime and not buy it were never going to buy the anime in the first place. In other words, whether or not they get the anime from the internet, those "leechers" would never even buy the product.

Might I add, I admit that I don't buy every anime I watch (hey, Japan doesn't, so why should I? j/k). Japanese people have the advantage with most anime in the sense that most anime series are aired on Japanese Television before being available on DVD or VHS. We don't have the same ability, and previewing/experiencing an anime or manga before buying is, IMO, a good thing. By doing so, you can actually determine whether it is worth your money or not.

[B]Yes, they are technically breaking the law, but I'm saying it's not a bad thing. First, the people who own the material don't seem to care all that much because, as I have mentioned before, it helps their business by telling them what's worth porting over and what is just not applicable to a culturally different society. I'm pretty sure I know how helpful fansubbing is (proud fan of fansubbing since I first found out about them :D), so I can vouch for them that they bring good things. You are missing the point: the majority of those people who will d/l an anime and not buy it were never going to buy the anime in the first place. In other words, whether or not they get the anime from the internet, those "leechers" would never even buy the product.

Might I add, I admit that I don't buy every anime I watch (hey, Japan doesn't, so why should I? j/k). Japanese people have the advantage with most anime in the sense that most anime series are aired on Japanese Television before being available on DVD or VHS. We don't have the same ability, and previewing/experiencing an anime or manga before buying. By doing so, you can actually determine whether it is worth your money or not. [/B][/QUOTE]

No matter how much people want to over look the facts it's still breaking the law.

I know a lot about fansubbing and I once was a subber, but I learned how it affects the companies.

[QUOTE] Japanese people have the advantage with most anime in the sense that most anime series are aired on Japanese Television before being available on DVD or VHS. We don't have the same ability, and previewing/experiencing an anime or manga before buying.[/QUOTE]

Yea they do have the option to view it with out paying, but companies paid the creator to be allowed to air it.

Fansubbers are not paying anyone; they are profiting 100% out of this.

Fansubbing can be helpful indeed. Fansubbing has actually gotten a few shows licensed I would assume, the problem is when fansubbers sub people view the anime and don't buy it when it comes out.

Really I do understand your view I just don't believe in it, I can understand if a anime series has nosign of being dubbed and it's been out a few years, but when subbers take a anime and it's just came out it's making companies not want to buy it because everyone has had a chance to see it.

[quote]No matter how much people want to over look the facts it's still breaking the law.

I know a lot about fansubbing and I once was a subber, but I learned how it affects the companies. [/quote] I'm not overlooking any facts (you even quoted me saying, "Yes, they are technically breaking the law..."). What I'm saying is that if the companies that bring over anime don't seem to mind, is it really wrong? Illegal and wrong are two different things. Do you think something is right just because it is the law? <-- [I]Rhetorical queston[/I] (I know you don't) [quote]Yea they do have the option to view it with out paying, but companies paid the creator to be allowed to air it. [/quote] Good point, but I still feel that [I]ALL[/I] media should be available in "preview form" for the audience to consider whether or not something is worth buying, or just a "one-trick pony." Renting is a pain because of how many hassles can happen (break the tape, bring it late, etc.). [quote]Fansubbers are not paying anyone; they are profiting 100% out of this.[/quote] +_0 Fansubbers aren't benefitting at all! They are doing a 100% free [B]service[/B] to the anime community. If they are capable of translating the series, I doubt the fansubbers themselves are getting any benefit from translating what they can already understand. [quote]Really I do understand your view I just don't believe in it, I can understand if a anime series has nosign of being dubbed and it's been out a few years, but when subbers take a anime and it's just came out it's making companies not want to buy it because everyone has had a chance to see it.[/quote] Actually, this goes back to my philosophy that anything worth buying should be enjoyable/entertaining more than just one time. If it really takes just one viewing of an anime to make you lose all interest or desire in it, is it really worth buying? This concept goes for all kinds of purchases.

[color=#707875]Obviously you guys are either forgetting or disregarding the idea that OtakuBoards doesn't allow for anyone to provide links or "assistance" when it comes to illegally downloading anime material.

We have the same policy when it comes to ROMs and so on. We do not condone any kind of illegal behavior.

If you want to discuss the actual issue of bootlegging...that's okay. But I urge the other Moderators to watch this thread closely and ensure that the discussion remains appropriate.[/color]

[B]I'm not overlooking any facts (you even quoted me saying, "Yes, they are technically breaking the law..."). What I'm saying is that if the companies that bring over anime don't seem to mind, is it really wrong? Illegal and wrong are two different things. Do you think something is right just because it is the law? <-- [I]Rhetorical queston[/I] (I know you don't) Good point, but I still feel that [I]ALL[/I] media should be available in "preview form" for the audience to consider whether or not something is worth buying, or just a "one-trick pony." Renting is a pain because of how many hassles can happen (break the tape, bring it late, etc.). +_0 Fansubbers aren't benefitting at all! They are doing a 100% free [B]service[/B] to the anime community. If they are capable of translating the series, I doubt the fansubbers themselves are getting any benefit from translating what they can already understand. Actually, this goes back to my philosophy that anything worth buying should be enjoyable/entertaining more than just one time. If it really takes just one viewing of an anime to make you lose all interest or desire in it, is it really worth buying? This concept goes for all kinds of purchases. [/B][/QUOTE]

I must admit you make some vaild points.

We should be given a option to preview but the media prevents us from viewing movies.

and I know yes we do get the trailers, bur don't we recieve the trailers for anime also?

also some fansubbers charge for their work thats what I ment by saying benifit.

For the mod, i'm rather sorry I was trying not to help him in the first place, but my views on bootlegging took ahold of me. :-/

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by craig8429 [/i]
[B]also some fansubbers charge for their work thats what I ment by saying benifit.[/B][/QUOTE]
As far as I can tell, most do not, especially not "reputable" (eh, you get what I mean) fansubbing groups. It seems to me that the only people who make money off of fansubs are those who download fansubs, burn them onto CDs, and sell them on eBay. Then again, you've actually worked for a fansubbing group and I have not, so I don't know for sure ... but that's the impression I got. (By the way, anyone who buys fansubs is getting majorly ripped off, as has been mentioned before. Should be obvious since most groups will put "If you paid for this fansub, you were ripped off!" in subtitles during a commercial or something.)

Anyway, I'm with AzureWolf here. Though some people who download fansubs of good shows will not end up buying the DVD when it comes out, most "good" anime fans will, even if they have the entire series on fansub already. I've seen plenty of anime fans who download fansubs for "good" reasons, like to see if they'll enjoy the series. These same people, especially if they are huge fans of that particular anime, buy the DVD because they know that without their monetary support, the anime will not do very well on the U.S. market.

Obviously, I'm sure there are a fair amount of people who abuse the fansub system as well. Actually, I think the fansubbing thing recently has gotten slightly out of hand, and the number of those people are increasing; fansubbers have started doing licensed anime, and slightly immoral stuff like that. So I can definitely see where you're coming from as well, craig(insert-numbers-here).

Erm, sorry if I'm slightly incoherent. I have more to say, but I have to go. :p

[color=indigo]I think it is funny how people are attempting to put a Robin Hood-esque (god, I love that suffix) twist to stealing anime by saying that it helps the industry in the long run. Let?s face the stone cold truth, downloading a fan sub is theft, it is a crime, and it should be. Fan subbers take licensed material, add subtitles, and then distribute that material without the consent of the artists that created it or the corporations that license it.
The main argument for fan subbing seems to be that people that download fan subs tend to use it to determine what anime they will buy. While I understand the point, I fail to see how it justifies theft. I could make the same argument about shoplifters that steal clothes. They wear clothes, and they do occasionally buy clothes, but only if they enjoy them after they stole them.

Personally, I don?t care whether or not you download fan subs; just don?t convince yourself that you are doing any thing other than stealing? [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo]I think it is funny how people are attempting to put a Robin Hood-esque (god, I love that suffix) twist to stealing anime by saying that it helps the industry in the long run. Let?s face the stone cold truth, downloading a fan sub is theft, it is a crime, and it should be. Fan subbers take licensed material, add subtitles, and then distribute that material without the consent of the artists that created it or the corporations that license it.
The main argument for fan subbing seems to be that people that download fan subs tend to use it to determine what anime they will buy. While I understand the point, I fail to see how it justifies theft. I could make the same argument about shoplifters that steal clothes. They wear clothes, and they do occasionally buy clothes, but only if they enjoy them after they stole them.

Personally, I don?t care whether or not you download fan subs; just don?t convince yourself that you are doing any thing other than stealing? [/color] [/B][/QUOTE

thats exactly what i've been trying to stress here, when you fan sub the industries lose. it's still a crime no matter what you try saying.

[size=1] It's probably illegal, or at least something most law enforcers looks at as something low and sneaky. Dowloading any sort of copyrighted material for free off of a P2P program [like Kazaa], isn't something to be proud of.

I do download some MP3s [although I delete them after listening to them and then go the store and buy the CD if I like it], and I have about five anime episodes on my computer. ^_~

Many fansubbing groups make the excuse that's it's allright because in their subbing, they specifically add a sentance that goes along the lines of this: Please delete or stop sharing this episode after it is liscenced in the USA or country you're living in, etc. Nevertheless, it's still copyrighted in Japan. I don't care about people who download stuff off of P2P programs, really, but when you have 20+ episodes on your computer, you should reconsider what you're doing.[/size]

[B][color=indigo]I think it is funny how people are attempting to put a Robin Hood-esque (god, I love that suffix) twist to stealing anime by saying that it helps the industry in the long run. Let?s face the stone cold truth, downloading a fan sub is theft, it is a crime, and it should be. Fan subbers take licensed material, add subtitles, and then distribute that material without the consent of the artists that created it or the corporations that license it.

Personally, I don?t care whether or not you download fan subs; just don?t convince yourself that you are doing any thing other than stealing? [/color] [/B][/QUOTE] :twitch: I'm not trying to say that fansub and downloading fansubs in legitimate. As I have said twice before, I know it is technically illegal - is theft, or whatever form of crime you want to label it as, but that's not the point (refer to rhetorical question). The premise is being able to experience something now that you would normally not enjoy until many years later. Your analogy is flawed in the sense that it does not consider this time gap. It would work better if you said someone "stole"/wore clothes that they would not fit into many years from now, and seeing if they would enjoy it.

Hey, I might be perfectly wrong. No one truly knows whether fansubbing hurts or helps the local distributors. However, reading posts on message boards where people talk about fansubbing, the majority seems to be split into two groups: people who watch fansubs and then buy the series when it is released in their area; and people who refuse to buy an anime, regardless if they can see it via fansub or don't see it at all. The group that's turned off from purchasing anime because of fansubs appears to be small. Then again, this conclusion is just from a handful of message boards, and online message boards at that, so you never know if one is lying or not. People might say one thing and just mean another, but now you know where my opinion stems from.

EDIT: Oh, and sorry about that, James. I'm not a computer buff, so when I know how something works, I just have an urge to say it. In this case, I was answering the unasked question of "why BitTorrent?" Heh, sorry. :sweat:

[color=#707875]I can tell you, based on the people I talk to on AIM...99% of them (of those that I've spoken to) download full anime episodes with no intention of buying a locally-distributed copy.

Obviously, that hurts local distributors. But it also hurts the source developer of the anime, who themselves won't earn anything from the series/movie.

So, yes, I'm sure that there are people who sample stuff and then go and buy the full release. And that's fine. But I don't think anyone is really talking about those people -- the reason downloading full anime episodes is wrong (apart from the sheer copyright/legal issues), is because artists and publishers aren't getting their rightful income. I don't know what the statistics are (or if there are any in the first place), but I have only encountered maybe one or two people who download anime just to sample it. The vast majority of people I've spoken to download it, burn it and keep it. And they don't pay a cent, other than buying a blank CD.[/color]

Personally, I don?t care whether or not you download fan subs; just don?t convince yourself that you are doing any thing other than stealing? [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

You've basically applied my whole MP3 argument to anime. Even the robin hood idea. I've never understood why people feel that way. It always seems to come up when someone wants something for free even though it's not exactly legal. Figures.

Yes, I have downloaded anime. A few series, but not an abundance.In the case of an anime as good as Hale Nochi Guu, I would buy it if it was here. It simply isn't.

I know of no way to get it either, outside of bootlegs... which doesn't help anyone other than some random HK company that doesn't own the rights in the first place. If I did find a Japanese import... then what? There are very, very rarely English subs on legit releases. It's double edged.

There are instances where some of the stuff subbed simply never came out here. I'm not about to import a Japanese DVD I cannot understand, honestly. However, these seem to be rare situations... because usually brand new anime is fansubbed, and a good deal of it (like Wolf's Rain and Naruto) always had a good chance of coming here.

So I guess it all just depends. I realize the consequences of it. I'm not about to put some self righteous spin on it so I can make myself feel secure in downloading stuff I shouldn't be.