OtakuBoards

HOPE Scholarship=SAT score?

eleanor

[size=1] It's been a pretty big issue in Georgia for the time being, methinks. I believe that our governer, Sonny Perdue, wants to connect the HOPE scholarship to a minumum SAT score. Many people are against this, because most African Americans make around 800-899 on there SAT, and if HOPE is now applied with a minumum SAT score, 800-899 would not be enough. So naturally, they decide to call him a racist. *rolls eyes*

I think connecting the HOPE and the SAT is a great idea, anyway. Most African Americans who get around 800-899 on the SAT don't manage to pull off a B average in one of the Georgia Universities into the second year, anyway. Anyways, 800-899 is a pretty low score for the SATs. Then comes in the issue that African Americans grow up in Inter-City Atlanta and southern parts of Georgia are not as exposed to good education as caucasion people. I think it ties in well with the issue, but I'm still for the minimum SAT score.

Not that I desperately want to go to a Georgia state college. As far as I know, UGA and Emory are harder to get into these days, but I'd rather go to an out-of-state college.

^_~ For the people who have no idea what HOPE is: HOPE scholarship is a scholarship given to people who can't afford to go to a Georgia state college on their own families' money. A student must have a B-average to recieve it, which inculdes payment for full tuition, books, etc. Students must also recieve a B-average in the college they go to in order to maintain the HOPE scholarship.[/size]

Racist! wow, the man just seems like he wants to make people work for what they want.

Well On another note, I don't think race determines what you can do. it's the enviroment your surrounded in.

I personally believe that their are good teachers who are able to teach these people yo a higher standard, but since the class ignores the teacher and makes a mockery of them what can they do.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Justin [/i]
[B]I think Alabama should have a stinkin' state-funded scholarship. That's what I think...

As for the SAT, we don't even take it after 8th grade over here. At most, I'll be taking the PSAT and the ACT.

-Justin [/B][/QUOTE]

Psat's? where are you from justin? Psat I thought were the pennassesment tests.

I never knew they where anywhere else....

I'll be taking my PSAT test this year and I may take Sat since pa doesn't use the act tests.... :-/

Edit: I just noticed you said Alabama.

[size=1] Heh, no. PSAT is the Pre-SAT [I think]. We take 'em in ninth grade in Georgia. I've already taken the SATs, which was last year in seventh grade. It was like this Duke-sponsered thing, and if you got a high enough score, you got to go to this camp. ^_^ The camp was surprisingly the best three years of my life.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1] Heh, no. PSAT is the Pre-SAT [I think]. We take 'em in ninth grade in Georgia. I've already taken the SATs, which was last year in seventh grade. It was like this Duke-sponsered thing, and if you got a high enough score, you got to go to this camp. ^_^ The camp was surprisingly the best three years of my life.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

We have Presat's and Psats here. they are both diffrent things.... maybe they call presat's psats outside of pa since we have two tests with a name like that.

I am a 100% sure the Psat is a test for 11th graders trying to show they learned stuff and can reach state average.

maladjusted is right - The PSAT is the pre-SAT. In California, students usually take them from Freshman (9th) to their Junior (11th) years. However, the ACT is becoming a more viable option to take over the SAT because the SAT includes a lot of stuff that isn't even taught in most schools today. I bet you that most of those innner-city students would've done much better on the ACT then the SAT.

And, even though I don't live in Georgia, I think that this is a good idea but it would be better if it was tied into the ACT as well (though, it could be - I'm not as aware of this issue as other people might be).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1] Heh, no. PSAT is the Pre-SAT [I think]. We take 'em in ninth grade in Georgia. I've already taken the SATs, which was last year in seventh grade. It was like this Duke-sponsered thing, and if you got a high enough score, you got to go to this camp. ^_^ The camp was surprisingly the best three years of my life.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Do you happen to know a chica named Katie-Jane Green? She went to the Duke Camp.

Anywho, I think it's a bunch of bolagna all these people saying that Perdue is being racist. Seriously, if you want it bad enough, you'll work harder for it. If black people want it, they should work for it. Sure, they are the minority and they USED to be mistreated hundreds of years ago, but if they want HOPE, I think it should be based on Merit, not race. They have all these scholarships they get just for people a certain color and they have affirmative action. What more do they want? It's not fair for people to take that stance.[/color][/size]

[size=1]I'm in Wisconsin, and most people I know haven't/aren't planning to take the SAT I.

My school has sophomores take the PSAT/NMSQT in October; juniors take the "Pre-ACT," I guess. Whether or not you take the ACT or SAT is up to you, and people usually take it late Junior year/early Senior year.

I'm supposed to take the SAT in October. I'll probably be the only one in my graduating class to do so; I can't think of any colleges in the area who require it.

So I guess I don't see why it would be a problem to add another stipulation to the scholarship, although I'm not familiar with the test in question. It doesn't seem like it should be a very big deal. Personally, I think scholarships should be based on merit. / Perhaps I'm just out of the loop.[/size]

[color=indigo]The hope scholarship is the scholarship that the state of Georgia promises to every student that has a B average at the end of high school right?

If that is the case, I think that they should definatly attach a SAT restriction to it. Its not like a student cannot improve their SAT's throughout their Jr and Sr year. Plus, if you cannot make a 1000 on your SAT's tou don't deserve a scholarship...

...shoot, I blew those minimums out of the water and I had to pay my way through school...[/color]

I can't believe what I'm reading! You all have to be lying! [B][I]SAT I is no longer required?![/I][/B] Haha, that's the reason I didn't get into my first college of choice! (JHU in MD; 1280 - blame the verbal section... -_-) Back in my day (I feel so old now), the SAT I was a requirement, and so was the SAT II: Writing, which, come to think of it, I didn't do so well on either (580, I think)...

They changed the PSAT to mean Pre-Scholar Aptitude Test or something, probably because it is (IMO) harder than the actually SATs.

[size=1] I've heard numerous times that the PSAT [i]is[/i] harder than the SAT. *shrugs* I actually scored higher than my sister's PSAT score with my 7th grade SAT score, so I guess that's saying a lot.

Queen Asuka: No, I don't know Katie. There are about five different locations for the camp. Davidson College [the one I went to], Duke East, Duke West, Appalachian, and some college in Kansas. XP I heard that Davidson was #1 in the Liberal Arts colleges, but the building really does suck. The dorm rooms and bathrooms are pretty bad lol.[/size]