OtakuBoards

The cubone story returns!

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben and Falkner recalled their pokemon. Falkner walked over to Ben and shook his hand.
Then he handed Ben the silver Zephyr badge.
?Congratulations Ben, you beat me.? he smiled wryly ?I have a feeling that you?ll be hearing that a
lot.?
?Thank you very much.? answered Ben politely.
Ben turned to leave but was grabbed by Falkner.
?Your cubones are amazing!? he said suddenly. ?How did you get them like that??
?I didn?t do much really.? Ben said. He then told Falkner and his trainers about what had
happened. By the time he finished, there were a few doubtful looks. Dave stepped forward.
?Falkner,? he said ?maybe I should travel with him to see if his story is true.?
?Good idea Dave,? Falkner grinned ?I think there is another reason though.?
Ben and Dave spent the night at the local pokemon center. It turned out that Dave had
several other flying pokemon. He had a Golbat, a Scyther, a Doduo, and a Hoot-Hoot.
They left Violet City and started to Azalea town, where the next Johto Gym was. Along
the way, they found several strange plants growing off of the trees. Ben looked them up on his
pokedex. His pokedex said that they were apricorns, and that they could be used to make
pokeballs. Ben didn?t pick any, he was happy with the pokemon he had. Dave, on the other hand,
called out his Hoot-Hoot to grab the apricorns. Ben saw that it would take Dave most of the day
to get as many as he wanted, so he decided to help.
?Go, Fly Guy, go Norman!? Ben said as he threw the pokeballs. The two popped out and looked
at Ben.
?Norman, use Swift to knock the apricots down. Fly Guy, go and give them to Dave.?
Norman held out his hands and stars shot from them. The stars flew at the trees and knocked the
apricots down. Fly Guy and Hoot-Hoot flew around, picking up apricots and tossing them to
Dave.
?Dave, got enough yet?? Ben asked.
?Yeah, I think so.? Dave?s voice was muffled but able to be heard. Ben walked around a tree and
saw Dave?s arm sticking out of a pile of apricots. He sighed and digs Dave out.

Ben and Dave were traveling through a dark forest, scaring away ghost pokemon with
Hoot-Hoot?s Foresight. They heard a howl from ahead of them. They stopped and walked more
slowly. Suddenly, a Houndour jumped out in front of them.
"Go, Torch!" Ben said as he sent out his fiery pokemon. Before he could do anything, the
Houndour howled, much louder than before. Torch?s eyes widened and he turned to flee. Ben
recalled Torch, wondering why he had been so scared. The Houndour attacked Dave and Ben,
forcing them to run. When they got away, Ben looked up Houndour on his pokedex. He checked
to see if what happened was an attack.
"Roar, a technique that can be used to frighten away other pokemon."
"If it scares our pokemon, how are we supposed to get through?" Dave asked.
"I can help!" said an unknown voice. Ben and Dave turned and saw a girl come out of the bushes.
She was average height and weight, with shorts and a t-shirt on.
"I can help you guys," she repeated "But it?s gonna cost you."
"What?s your name?" Ben asked "and what do you want for the help?"
"My name is Liz, and I?ll take just about anything." she replied.
"Okay. My name is Ben, and this is my friend Dave, from Violet City. We?ve got a lot of apricots,
will they do?" Dave looked at Ben with horror and began to shake his head wildly.
"Apricots? Sure!" she said. Ben handed her the apricots. Dave was making strangling noises. She
put them in a pouch on her backpack and sent out a Wigglytuff.
"You might want to cover your ears, tight." Liz warned.
Her Wigglytuff used Sing, and it rang throughout the forest. Pokemon of all different
shapes and sizes began to fall out of the air and trees. After it was done singing, Liz recalled her
pokemon.
"C?mon, let?s go!" she said. Dave and Ben followed her through the forest. Then they heard a
howl, then another, and another. Soon the whole forest was ringing with the howl of the
Houndours. They hadn?t fallen asleep. Then a whole pack of Houndour came. Liz looked
unafraid.
"Go Snorlax!" she said. The gigantic pokemon came out and yawned. The Houndour all roared at
it, but it made no sign that it even heard the howls. The Houndour grew agitated that their howls
were doing nothing to the Snorlax. Their bodies began to heat up as they breathed fire at Snorlax.
"Snorlax, Defense Curl!" Liz commanded. Snorlax rolled into a ball and hardened.
"Now, Rollout!"
Liz?s Snorlax plowed through the Houndour, knocking them in all directions. Snorlax
uncurled and cheered. Then, out of the trees came a large, black blur. It dove right into Snorlax
and knocked it over. It was the leader of the pack, a Houndoom.
The two pokemon faced each other. Then the Houndoom seemed to disappear, Snorlax
began to yell as the unseen Houndoom attacked him again and again. Liz, unable to watch any
longer, recalled her Snorlax. The three of them stood there watching the Houndoom howl a
victory yell.
"Go Original!" Ben shouted. The Original came out and looked at the Houndoom. The
Houndoom dived at The Original, fangs and claws bared. The Original sidestepped the attack and
clubbed Houndoom in the side. The Houndoom lunged again, it?s teeth glowing with an eerie
blackness. The Original jumped up and slammed Houndoom?s head into the ground. Houndoom
jumped up and launched a Fire Blast. The Original twirled his bone around in his hand and cut a
hole through the blast. He flew right at the Houndoom and pounded him again and again with the
bone. The Houndoom crumpled in a heap on the ground. The Houndour, recovered from
Snorlax?s attack, picked up their leader and carried him away.
After they got out of the forest, Ben and Dave invited Liz to camp with them. She agreed,
partially because she was afraid of being attacked again. They had trouble sleeping that night, due
to the fact that they were all afraid of being attacked. But, after Liz?s Wigglytuff sang them a
song, they drifted off to sleep.
When they awoke the next morning, Ben called out his cubones to feed them breakfast. Liz came
out of her tent and looked at his cubones.
"So, you?re the kid with the freak pokemon." she said.
"The are not freaks!" Ben shouted.
"Sorry, that?s just the way everyone is describing them." she apologized. Liz paced around his
cubones, looking closely at each one.
"Some of them are actually cute." she said. "Would you like to trade? I collect cute pokemon."
"No." Ben said. He then went to his pokedex and exchanged Norman for Babybone, Hitmonbone
for Psy Guy, and Torch for Bulbabone. Liz went into fits of delight when she saw Babybone.
"He?s so cute!" she screamed, grabbing the baby pokemon away from Ben. Babybone playfully
bopped her on the head with his bone. She laughed and kissed him on the helmet. Then Babybone
licked her on the cheek. Ben was surprised, this was the first time that his cubones had shown
affection for anyone other than him. He then made up his mind about something.
"Liz, would you like to come with Dave and me?" he asked hesitantly.
"Of course I would!" she said. "This little one?s so cute, and you?re not so bad yourself."
Dave began to chuckle. Ben blushed slightly, then sighed. It was going to be a long journey.

Happy Now?

(This chapter was [I]just[I\] finished.)

Pineco Problems

Ben, Dave, and Liz are traveling along a dirt path on their way to Azalea Town. They come to a small town that was overlooked by a mountain covered with trees. The three decide to buy supplies while they?re there. While inside, hear two men talking.
"We?ve got to do something about those Pineco!" one man said.
"What can we do? Whenever we get near the forest, they fall and explode!" another said.
"Excuse me," Ben said politely "what?s wrong with the Pineco?"
"Who are you?" the first man asked.
"My name is Ben, and I?m from New Bark Town." he replied.
"Oh, the kid with the freak pokemon." the second man said. Ben tried very hard not to hit him.
"Please do not call them freaks." he said between clenched teeth.
"Okay!" said the man, sensing Ben?s anger "Anyway, every night our town is bombarded by flying Pineco."
"So?" Dave asked "what?s the big emergency?"
"They explode!" the two men said together.
"Oh," Dave said "I can see where that would be a problem."
"Part of our town is in ruins because of them." one man sad sourly.
"We?re heading through those woods after we get our stuff." Ben said.
"Good luck!" the first man said "whenever anyone goes near the forest, the Pineco jump out and explode!"
"I?m sure we?ll be fine." Ben said confidently.
After they had gotten their supplies, the three of them began to climb up the mild mountain. They were walking for only a few minutes when a Pineco came flying in the air and landed in front of them. Before they could do anything, the Pineco began to glow and exploded. Ben was thrown against a tree, Dave against a rock, and Liz into a bush. Ben sat up and saw that three Pineco had fallen in his lap. He instantly froze.
"Hey Ben, where are you?" Dave called.
"Over here." he said in little more than a whisper.
"Where?" Dave called again.
"Here!" He said.
"Why are you whis-?" Dave stopped when he saw the Pineco in Ben?s lap. Liz came over to see what was going on. She gasped.
"Ben, slowly get up, try not to disturb them." she whispered.
Ben slowly began to rise. The Pineco just slid off of him, not doing anything but blinking. When he stood up, the three Pineco hopped away.
"That?s weird," Ben said "I wonder why they didn?t explode."
Ben looked up Pineco up on his pokedex.
"Pineco, the pinecone pokemon. It will explode if threatened or under attack."
"That?s it!" Liz yelled "they only explode when threatened or under attack!"
"Wait a minute," Ben said "the pokedex didn?t say anything about Pineco flying."
"Flying?" Dave asked.
"Yeah, the guy in the village said that the Pineco were flying into the town." Ben said.
"I don?t know." Dave said.
As they continued up the mountain, the attacks of the Pineco came more and more frequent. After the fifth attack, Dave, Ben, and Liz decided to use their pokemon to protect them.
"Go Golbat!"
"Go Bulbabone!"
"Go Azumarill!"
When the next Pineco came, Golbat sent it flying with a Wing Attack. When another one came, Bulbabone used it?s Vine Whip to slap it away. When a third one came, Azumarill used its Water Gun and sent it back where it came from. They heard the explosion and then a startled yell. They hurried up the hill and saw a kid their age crawling out of a bush.
"Golem! The Pineco weren?t supposed to hit us! What happened?!" he yelled.
The Golem shrugged.
"What do you mean you don?t know?! You?re the one throwing them!" he screamed at the pokemon.
The Golem made some noises that were probably meant to be an apology. The kid sighed and handed the Golem a Pineco from a sack.
"I think we scared those kids away, so this time aim for the town." he ordered.
The Golem grabbed the Pineco and punched it in the face. The Pineco began to glow as it prepared to explode. The Golem pulled its arm back to throw the Pineco.
"Stop!" Liz yelled.
The Golem hesitated and the Pineco blew up in its face. The Golem shook itself.
"Why should we stop?" the kid asked.
"Hmm, let me think," Ben said sarcastically "maybe because you?re destroying the town?"
"So?" the kid asked "I destroy the town, who?s going to stop me?"
"We are." Ben said, indicating himself, Dave, and Liz.
"Yeah, like you can stop me, the leader of Team Rocket." he sneered.
"You?re the leader?" Ben asked.
"Yeah, I?m Kevin, the Team Rocket boss!" he yelled.
Ben, Dave, and Liz all fall to the ground laughing.
"What?s so funny?!" Kevin demanded.
"Aren?t you a little short to be the leader of Team Rocket?" Dave asked.
"Short?! I?ll show you short! Golem, cut them down to size!" Kevin said. His Golem leaped forward to attack.
"Azumarill, Water Gun!" said Liz. The bunny-like creature shoots a stream of water at the Golem.
"Golem, Rock Throw!" The Golem jumps over the Water Gun and into the air. It is about to land on Azumarill. Azumarill jumps out of the way.
"Now, Rollout!" The Golem rolls into a ball and spins toward Azumarill. Before it can react, Azumarill is knocked out. Liz recalls Azumarill.
"Golbat, Supersonic!" Dave?s Golbat releases a high pitched shrieking sound at the Golem. The Golem begins to pound its head on the ground.
"Golem return! Go Nidoking and Nidoqueen!" Kevin yelled.
The two huge pokemon began to jump up and down trying to reach Dave?s Golbat.
"Gust attack!" Dave said. Golbat began to flap its wings madly, creating a small tornado. Kevin?s two pokemon stood their ground, the air attack not remotely affecting them.
"Body Slam!" The Nidoking and Nidoqueen jump up and slam Dave?s Golbat between them. Golbat falls to the ground. Dave runs over and grabs his pokemon. Nidoking and Nidoqueen jump in to attack Dave, but are hit by Bulbabone?s Razor Leaf.
"Double Kick!" says Kevin. Kevin?s pokemon jump at Bulbabone and kick it hard. Golbat and Bulbabone are both near fainting.
"Ben!" Dave says suddenly "I?ve got an idea!"
Dave leans over and whispers something in Ben?s ear.
"Bulbabone!" Ben says.
"Golbat!" says Dave.
"Giga Drain!" they yell together.
Golbat hops forward and bites Nidoqueen, Bulbabone grabs Nidoking with its vines. They both begin to drain the energy out of Kevin?s pokemon. Nidoking and Nidoqueen struggle, but their resistance slowly weakens. When Golbat and Bulbabone finally let go, they are back at full strength.
"Get up!" Kevin screams. Nidoking and Nidoqueen groggily get to their feet. "Now! Hit them with your Take Down!"
"No way!" Dave shouts "Golbat, Hyper Beam!" Golbat charges up a ball of energy in its mouth and blasts it at Kevin?s pokemon. They are sent flying back into Kevin and they all are thrown into the sky.
"You?ll pay!" Kevin yells as he is blasted away.
Golbat flies back to Dave.
"Good job Golbat." Dave says. Suddenly, Golbat begins to glow. Its shape begins to change. After it stops glowing, it is a Crobat.
"Alright!" Dave shouts "Great job Crobat!"
Liz and Ben congratulate Dave and Crobat, then the three of them begin the climb up the mountain again.

A New Rival

Ben, Dave, and Liz are about to step through the entrance of Azalea town. Ben decides to
do it slowly, savoring the moment. Suddenly, the city gates close in his face. The city is closed for
the night, no one can come in or go out unless there is an emergency. Ben and his friends are
forced to camp outside the gates.
That night, they decide to let their pokemon sleep outside their pokeballs, as it is a very
beautiful and quiet night.
"Go Scyther, Crobat, Hoot-Hoot, Spearow, and Doduo!" says Dave as he let?s out his Flying
types.
"Go Wigglytuff, Azumarill, Clefable, Bellossom, Meowth, and Teddiursa!" Ben and Dave stare at
her pokemon. Although they knew that she collected cute pokemon, they hadn?t expected most of
them to be evolved.
"Go Original, Bulbabone, Babybone, Psy Guy, Squirt, and Freeza!" Ben said as he called out his
cubones. All of their pokemon got out and stretched out their sore muscles.
"Let?s get something to eat, I?m starved." said Liz.
"Good idea." Ben and Dave agreed. Surprisingly, Dave?s Doduo took charge. Liz guessed
because that because it had two brains, it could figure out a better and faster way to get food.
Teddiursa and Babybone were having too much fun together to pay any attention, so Doduo left
them out of the work.
Crobat, Hoot-Hoot, Spearow, and Doduo went off to find berries. Wigglytuff, Azumarill,
Clefable, and Meowth caught fruit as Squirt, Original, Psy Guy, and Bellossom dropped them
from the trees.
Scyther was using its long blades to cut the fruit, and Freeza and Bulbabone were off to
one side, doing something in secret. When Dave?s pokemon came back with the berries, they gave
them to Bulbabone and Freeza.
After a while, they had a good deal of sliced fruit. All the pokemon and humans ate their
fill and sat back to wait for Freeza and Bulbabone?s surprise. When they were finished, Bulbabone
passed out what seemed to be purple ice. But, it was actually ice bowls with berry ice cream
inside.
"Wow!" they all exclaimed. Everyone had some of the delicious ice cream. After a while, the ice
bowls melted and they all went to sleep.
"All right Victreebell, let?s make sure they stay asleep." says Kevin, hidden in the bushes. His
Victreebell nods and sends out a cloud of Sleep Powder over the sleeping pokemon and people.
Once the powder touches their skin, it melts into their bloodstream.
"That ought to do it. Now, to get the pokemon." Kevin picks up a walkie-talkie. "Lower the net."
he says.
More Team Rocket members in an above balloon slowly begin to drop a net made out of
sticky Spinarak thread down on the pokemon. Just as it is about to touch the first pokemon, it
veers to the left and high into the sky.
"What happened?!" Kevin demands.
"Sorry sir, we were attacked and the balloon burst. We are currently flying toward a large tree."
Kevin hears a crash. "Sir, we have hit the tree." says the voice weakly. Kevin groans.
"Go Tyranitar!" says Kevin. "If we can?t get them all, we?ll at least get the strong ones. Grab the
Cubone next to that kid, the Crobat and Scyther, and the Bellossom."
The Tyranitar slowly crunches its way toward the pokemon. Before it could take five
steps, it was hit by stars, a stream of water, a jolt of electricity, a wave of fire, a beam of
multicolor light, and a black ball of energy. Kevin?s Tyranitar fell backwards.
"What the-?!" exclaimed Kevin. Out of the Bushes came a young girl with an Eevee, Vaporeon,
Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, and an Umbreon.
"Leave my brother and his friends alone!" she said fiercely.
"Brother?" Kevin asked.
"Yeah, the one with the cubones. I?m his little sister Emily." she said.
"She?s got the little part right." Kevin muttered. The second he finished saying this, a star shot
from above the Eevee. It hit him right on the forehead.
"Ow!" he yelled as he fell backward. "You?ll pay for that! Go Golem, Feraligatr, and Machamp!"
Kevin watched as his pokemon charged at Emily?s.
"Barrier!" she said. Her Espeon erected an invisible barrier between it and Kevin?s pokemon.
Kevin?s pokemon bounced harmlessly off of it.
"Machamp, Comet Punch!" The big pokemon walked up to where the barrier was and began
punching it rapidly with all four arms. Emily?s Espeon began to sweat as it worked to keep the
barrier up. The barrier broke and Kevin?s Victreebell jumped in to attack.
"Ice Beam!" Emily yelled. Her Vaporeon fired an Ice Beam at the Victreebell. Kevin?s Victreebell
was frozen solid and fell to the ground. While the Victreebell was being frozen, the Feraligatr had
jumped forward and Body Slammed Vaporeon. Emily?s Jolteon used Pin Missile and knocked it
back. Kevin?s pokemon fell back to regroup.
"Faint Attack!" Emily?s Umbreon disappeared and Kevin?s pokemon began to be hit by the
invisible blows. A minute later, the Umbreon reappeared next to Emily.
"Double Team!" All of Emily?s pokemon began to multiply. "Now, Quick Attack!" Her pokemon
all jumped at Kevin?s. Kevin?s pokemon, unable to tell which pokemon were real, began to strike
out blindly.
Ben, Dave, and Liz woke up and saw what was going on. They sat there, afraid that if
they moved, the whole battle would be thrown off balance.
"That?s enough!" Kevin shouted. He recalled all of his pokemon except Golem. "Explosion!" he
shouted. Kevin?s Golem jumped at Emily?s pokemon, energy crackling around it. BOOM! The
Golem exploded just as it touched ground in between the pokemon. When the dust cleared,
Emily?s pokemon were all safe, encased inside Espeon?s Barrier. The only thing that kept Espeon
standing was the Focus Band it held.
"Now, Return!" Emily shouted.
Kevin couldn?t believe his ears, she was ordering them to retreat? But, the pokemon were
not being recalled into their pokeballs, they were using their Return attack. Ben watched as
Emily?s pokemon began to glow a bright pink. Together, they all jumped at the Golem and sent it
flying into Kevin. Kevin was thrown into the air.
"I?ll be back!" he shouted.
Ben looked up Return on his pokedex.
"Return, this attack?s power depends on how much the pokemon using it likes its trainer."
"I?ve never heard of that before." Dave said.
"Me neither." said Liz.
"I have," Ben said "it was in one of my pokemon books. Which means you went into my room,
Emily."
"Yeah, so? You were gone and you owe me a rematch!" she said.
"What does that have to do with going in my room?!" he asked.
"I didn?t know where you were going," she answered "but that?s not important, I want a
rematch!"
"Too bad," Ben said "you?re not getting one."
Emily walked away pouting. The rest of them went back to bed, with Crobat on guard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Azalea Town

The next morning, Ben and his friends woke up late, having slept little the previous night. They pack up their sleeping bags and head for the gate into Azalea Town. When they reach the market, Ben asks a woman with long black hair where the Gym is.
"The Gym? It?s over there, it?s that big glass dome." she answers.
"Thank you." said Ben.
"Are you going to try for a Hive Badge?" she asks curiously. "Because Bugsy, the Gym Leader, hasn?t been beaten since that kid Ash Ketchum came through, about a couple months ago."
"Well, I?m sure I?ll get one." Ben says. "Goodbye!"
"Wait, are you the kid with the weird cubones?" she asks, looking at his hat. (Ben's hat has a picture of a cubone helmet on it.)
Ben sighed. How did everyone know about him?
"Yes, I am." answers Ben. Then he walks away.
On their way to the Gym, Liz looks at Ben angrily. She doesn?t say anything until a few minutes of walking. Finally Liz talks.
"That was rude Ben, very rude." she says. "That woman just wanted to know who you were."
"No," Ben corrected her, "she was asking whether I was ?the kid with the freak pokemon? or not."
"Well, whatever. It was rude of you just to walk away like that." she replied stubbornly.
"Well then, you can just be angry with me for the rest of the day, because it?s too late to do anything now." said Ben.
Liz looked at him furiously. She stomped ahead of Ben and Dave. Soon, she was no longer within sight.
"I have a bad feeling about that." Dave says.
"So do I, but I have a Gym Badge to win right now, so I won?t worry about it." answers Ben.
Just when Ben is reaching the entrance to the Azalea Gym, a sign drops down on some String Shot thread. The sign reads: No Freaks Allowed. Under it was a picture of a Teddiursa. Liz had been at work.
"Now how are we going to get in?" asks Dave. A web of String Shot covered the entrance.
"Not to worry." Ben answers "We?ll use our pokemon."
"That?s not what I was talking about, how are you supposed to get in? If the Gym Leader thinks your pokemon are unorthodox, you won?t be able to battle."
"That?s okay." Ben says "I?ve got a note from Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny that authorizes my cubones for the Johto League."
"You never told me that." says Dave.
"You never asked." says Ben. Then he winks. "Go Psy Guy!"
The glossy-skinned cubone came out and crossed his legs. Then he began to hover with his eyes closed.
"Psy Guy, dissolve the web!" said Ben.
Psy Guy opened his eyes and his psychic energy is released. The web dissolved. Ben and Dave walked in with Psy Guy hovering next to them. Various bug pokemon flew in to stop them from passing, but Psy Guy had erected a psychic Barrier around himself, Ben and Dave.
They came across a very large tree with a ladder next to it. Up in the tree were Liz and a boy with purple hair and hiking clothes. Ben guessed this was Bugsy.
"Are you Bugsy?" he called up into the tree.
"Yes I am." the kid replies "I?m also wondering why you?re here. I told you, I?m not going to battle counterfeit pokemon."
"They?re not counterfeit!" Ben shouts "They are real pokemon! Here, I?ve even got a note from Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny."
Ben holds up the note and it is grabbed by a String Shot and brought up to Bugsy. Bugsy opens the envelope and reads the note. Then he looks at Liz.
"You told me that they were scientifically made." he said. "This note says that they?ve been in an accident, that?s all."
"Well, I just assumed that they were made scientifically, you would too if you saw them." said Liz.
"Oh, get out of my tree." says Bugsy and he climbs down after Liz.
"Well Ben." he says "this note authorizes your pokemon, so let?s battle!"
Bugsy leads Ben, Liz and Dave to a pokemon battle ring in the middle of his indoor forest. Along the way he talks about how great Bug pokemon are, different ways of attacking, and other Bug pokemon related things. The one thing he repeats again and again though, is "nothing can beat a Bug pokemon that?s been trained to move."
Ben and Bugsy step into their positions at each end of the battle ring.
"This will be a three on three battle, may the best trainer win." says the referee.
"Go Spinarak!" says Bugsy as he lets out his small spider pokemon.
"Go Babybone!" says Ben as he lets out his small cubone. Babybone runs over to Ben and gives him a hug, then runs back into the ring.
"Begin!" shouts the referee.
"Spinarak, String Shot!" says Bugsy. Bugsy?s spinarak begins to spit streams of web at Babybone.
"Dodge them Babybone!" says Ben. Babybone jumps and flips, twists and turns, and finally jumps in the air to avoid the String Shot. "Now, Charm attack!"
Babybone lands in front of spinarak and kisses it on the forehead. The spinarak gets unsure of itself for a second and Babybone hops on its back. The spinarak keeps trying to reach over its shoulder to grab Babybone, but its pincers can?t reach.
"Spinarak, use String Shot!" says Bugsy. The spinarak sends a String Shot and swings to a branch, then it turns around and slams Babybone into a tree.
"Babybone, get off!" says Ben, but Babybone is stuck to spinarak by a piece of sticky String Shot. Bam! Babybone is slammed again. The spinarak jumps to the ground and shakes Babybone off. Ben recalls Babybone.
"It?s like I keep telling you Ben, nothing can beat a Bug pokemon that?s been trained to move." says Bugsy.
"Then it?s a good thing I have one." says Ben, who had gotten Bugbone transferred to him this morning. "Go, Bugbone!"
Bugbone came out with a twirl of his bone. Bugbone looked at the trees all around him. Ben privately suspected that Bugbone would be sucking the sap out of them later.
"Spinarak, Poison Sting!" said Bugsy. With that command, the spinarak let loose a barrage of poisonous needles.
"Bugbone, Bone Twirl!" the poison needles sprayed around as they were deflected by Bugbone?s bone. "Now, Twineedle!"
Bugbone?s bone splits in half and he stabs at spinarak. Bugsy?s spinarak was hit both times.
"Spinarak, show them how you can move!" shouted Bugsy. "String Shot!"
Bugsy?s spinarak flips from branch to branch on its String Shot.
"Bugbone, Pin Missile!" says Ben. Bugbone takes aim with his bone and fires his Pin Missiles from its tip. Bugbone does his best, but not a single needle hits.
Then Ben remembers what Bugsy keeps saying. "Nothing can beat a Bug pokemon that?s been trained to move." Ben smacked himself in the forehead. That?s what was wrong! Bugbone wasn?t moving enough.
"Bugbone, Fly!" says Ben. Bugbone unfolds his wings and takes to the air after spinarak.
"Spinarak, Tackle it!" said Bugsy.
"Dodge it Bugbone!" says Ben. Bugbone flips in midair and Spinarak misses. It hits the ground then fires a String Shot to get airborne again.
"Bonemerang!" says Ben. Bugbone throws his bone into the String Shot spinarak is using to get into the air. The String snaps and spinarak is sent hurtling into a tree. Bugsy recalls his knocked-out pokemon.
"Go Metapod!" says Bugsy as he lets out the cocoon pokemon. Ben has heard rumors about this Gym, and the Metapod that Bugsy uses.
"Bugbone, we?re going to have to knock it out before it hardens too much or else your attacks won?t do anything." says Ben. Bugbone nods.
"Begin!" says the referee.
"Bugbone, earthquake!" says Ben. Bugbone stomps his foot onto the ground and the whole Gym shakes. Metapod is caught in the midst of the earthquake, being thrown side to side.
"Metapod, Harden!" says Bugsy. Metapod shines as its skin becomes tougher.
"Bonemerang!" Bugsy throws his bone at Metapod, but the blow is barely felt.
"Harden!" says Bugsy.
"Harden!" says Ben. Bugbone?s bone club and helmet harden till they shine.
"Jump and Tackle!" shouts Bugsy. Metapod jumps into the air, high above Bugbone, and drops with great speed.
"Skull Bash!" says Ben. Bugbone jumps into the air at Metapod. CRACK! The two hit each other powerfully. But, Bugbone is able to endure with its reinforced helmet. Metapod is thrown back by the blow, yet still persisting.
"Finish it Bugbone! Bone Rush!" says Ben. Bugbone runs up and pounds Metapod repeatedly with his bone. Metapod can not take any more abuse and is recalled by Bugsy.
"I told you Bug pokemon were good." he says. "Now you get to see one of the best in action. Go Scyther!"
"Bugbone, you deserve a good rest. Return!" says Ben. "Now, go Rocky!"
"That was a good choice." Dave says to Liz. "Scyther?s best attacks are using those blades, and Rocky?s tough skin won?t be affected by them."
"Maybe he?s not stupid after all." says Liz.
"I thought you liked him." Dave says.
"I said he was cute." she says "Cute boys aren?t always smart boys."
"All right Rocky, let?s show them what you can do!" says Ben "Rock Throw!"
Rocky jumps at Scyther.
"Scyther, Double Team!" Scyther appears to multiply, which Ben knows to be an illusion.
"Rocky, Rollout!" says Ben. Rocky curls himself into a ball and charges through the illusions of Scyther. When only one is left, Rocky jumps up and pounces on it.
"Scyther, Swords Dance!" Scyther throws Rocky off as it begins to spin.
"Rocky, Strength attack!" says Ben. To everyone?s amazement but Ben?s, Rocky picks up a large chunk of the ground and throws it at Scyther. Bugsy frantically gives a command.
"Scyther, Fury Cutter!" he says. Scyther?s long blades slice through the hard-packed dirt. Dirt flies everywhere. When it clears, Scyther is unharmed, exhausted, but unharmed.
"Rocky, Tackle it!" Ben says. Scyther is too tired to move fast enough and is hit fully by the Tackle attack. Bugsy recalls his Bug-Type warrior.
Bugsy walks over to Ben and hands him the Hivebadge. Then Bugsy smiles.
"That was an awesome match!" he says. Ben, in spite of himself, smiles back.
"Yeah," he says, "it was."
Bugsy escorts Ben, Dave, and Liz out of the Gym and waves good-bye.
"Come back some time and we?ll battle again!" Bugsy calls.
"Okay!" Ben calls back, actually meaning it.