OtakuBoards

harry potter

Vash's girl

I checked, I didn't see a thread for it (if I missed it forgive me). But I thought, how can this be?! Someone out there has to read Harry Potter! OK, I really want to talk about the 5th book. It was super long and depressing. I couldn't believe it when [spoiler]Sirius died but it wasn't really emotional.[/spoiler] Harry was so depressed and he depressed me! But I just wanted to know
1. what did you think of the book?
2.what is your favorite book out of the series?
3.Do the movies give the books justice?

1- i loved the book. it was very depressing when that happened..... but still a great book!^______^
2-I like all 5 books but if I had to choose..... book 5! I can't wait for book 6!
3-I have only seen the movie for the first book, but I thought it was pretty good.....

1. It was a good book but not [i]that[/i] good. I mean this time JK Rowling mixed in all the raging hormones and such it got pretty screwy. Harry was gttin really pissed too and that wasn't that much fun....this book only made me hate Cho Chang that um, well, I'm not sure if I can say that word on here...plus I'm still in denial of who died in it. All the chapters after the death were kinda moody....like mad-eye! lol
2. I think my favorite book was the first because everything seemed so magical cause you know it was the first time Harry saw all the stuff so it described it better. Plus everything was so new. He didn't know 'bout wizards and that was the first time he had to fight Voldemort.
3. They aren't even on the same level. The books were SO much better. The movies were all right if you never had read the book but for people who have it can't even begin to compare. The computer animation seems to make it lose it's greatness. It just doesn't look real and the coolest thing about the HP books was they made so it looked like it could happen to [i]you[/i].

1. Although Rowling's writing was definitely tighter, more stylish, and far darker in Book 5 than in the rest of the series..... I honestly didn't like it very much. The series is starting to become formulaic, which is a shame--[spoiler]Voldemort comes back; Harry defeats him in the nick of time, often by dumb luck; and someone fairly significant dies (like Sirius or even Cedric).[/spoiler]

I thought that OotP was several hundred pages longer than it needed to be. I don't mind lengthy novels, but Books 4 and 5 didn't have the impact of Book 3, mainly because they felt more...... dissipated, for lack of a better word.

Perhaps Harry's character was more realistically portrayed in Book 5.... perhaps not. Either way, he grew extremely annoying, angsty, and ended up doing some unforgivably stupid stuff. Will that boy EVER learn to listen to Hermione?

2. Definitely Book 3 (Prisoner of Azkaban). The plot was incredibly well executed--particularly in the long, twisty, mind-blowing ending sequence. It also introduced some loveable and memorable supporting characters; namely, Remus Lupin and Sirius Black. This was the book which made me a real fan.

3. Not by a long shot.

~Dagger~

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, I thought, was an alright, but irrating book. [spoiler]Professor Umbridge made me so angry. Then, at the end, Sirius died...bleh[/spoiler] Like, what's up with that.
My favorite book of the series would have to be Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. [spoiler]I like the goings of the Triwizard tournament, and the mystery. I also like the ending with Voldemort coming back.[/spoiler] This book was just too cool.
I don't think that the movies are that good compared to the books. I do agree though, that if the the movie had every single thing that was in the books, the movies would be over 3 hours long. I still think that the movies are pretty good. They just left out a few things.

A movie can do justice to the book it's based on without including every single detail found in the original novel.

Just look at the Lord of the Rings movies. They're damn near perfect, even though Peter Jackson [the director] cut out an enormous amount of material.

The Harry Potter movies have suffered from the tendency to include too [i]much[/i] stuff, which made them seem awkward and poorly put together.

I didn't really like any of the actors, except perhaps the girl who plays Hermione. So that didn't help. And considering the amount of money that was spent on those films, their special effects were far from impressive... just compare Gollum and Dobby.

~Dagger~

1.I'm not really big into Harry Potter, I've only read 1-3. Pitiful...
2.It would have to be the first one which introduces Harry and them all. Ron would have to be my favorite...
3.The book is better, it's more detailed and it's just better. Plus for some reason, Hermoine annoys me. I wonder why, I just don't know the reasons for it, I am MORE pitiful.

Oh and Dagger IX1, Gollem and Dobby...I can think they are cousins. Or brothers...or twins...except Gollem is more freaky looking. Special effects and stuff rock.

[size=1]1. [b]What did you think of the book?[/b]
Personally, I thought it was brilliantly done. A lot of people disliked the way Harry acted, but really, he's [i]fifteen[/i]. Fifteen year olds are moody and nasty and not in control of their emotions. I should know -- I am fifteen! And as for Umbridge, I thought she was marvellous! In most books, there's the [i]big[/i] evil, and the [i]little[/i] evil. In these books, the big evil has always been Voldemort. In the first, second, and fourth books, the little evil was Draco Malfoy. In the third, it was Sirius Black, although you later found out he wasn't evil. In the fifth, Draco Malfoy doesn't cut it anymore -- we need a new little evil. And Umbridge fills that spot perfectly.

My other favorite was Professor McGonagall -- she was absolutely stunning in this book. I loved her tart replies and connected with her character. I have a teacher at my school who is [i]just[/i] like her, and so I was really impressed and pleased with McGonagall is a character.

The character development is also fantastic. You learn so much more about Harry, he becomes just that little more realistic -- don't tell me that you've never had a mood swing or become irrationally angry?

I know people don't like it, but I think it's because it is so realistic. We all have teachers we like, teachers who don't like us, teachers who support us, friends we feel jealous of. We all feel left out at time, and to me this book is so...natural.

2. [b]What is your favorite book out of the series?[/b]

My favorite book would have to be [i]Harry Potter And The Chamber of Secrets.[/i] I thought it was wonderful. It wasn't the first book, so the reader didn't have to waste time with all the explanations about the Wizarding World, but it was still new enough to be just...magic.

3. [b]Do the movies give the books justice?[/b]

Not in my opinion. However, one can't really compare Harry Potter to Lord of the Rings, in this respect because to me, they're different. Harry Potter wasn't good in a movie sense because the story was so convoluted, and it skipped out the funny parts to make room for the important parts, which to me, ruined it a bit. Lord of the Rings [i]could[/i] cut out a lot -- there's so much description that Peter Jackson knew exactly how to create the look of Middle Earth. The books were so filled with description that the main events were there. At least, that's the description I've gotten from friends. I started to read the Hobbit before it came out and got to page 88, all of which was described in one of the first scenes in the movies.

I'm am not, however, knocking Lord of the Rings, the books. I have no opinion on it either way. I have not read it, and I cannot judge. I just dislike the two being compared.[/size]

• 5 weeks later...
I thought the Fifth book was amazing!!! J.K. Rowling has outdone herself yet again! I agree with some people about how i didn't like the way Harry acted but yet again i agree with Lady Asphyxia on how he is 15. He's going to act like that. And plus, reality and how he acted made the book more real. I think the fifth book is my favorite one. So many new surprises and unexpected stuff. Harry is basically a real person and you can really see how he's grown and other things throughout all the books. I can hardly wait till the 6th one comes out, but when the seventh comes out, i'll be sad cuz it'll be the last book. :'( UNLESS, of course Rowling decides to make a more books of Harry, Ron, and Hermione after they leave Hogwarts. Where their futures and careers take them.

With the movies, i think they are well done. But they could've definately been better. One thing that bothers me about them is how they cut all the stuff out but also because in the first one, the actors are around 11 and they're supposed to be. But now in the second one they're supposed to be 12, and they're around 14 now. But the music and special effects are wonderful!! Especially the music. I've got the sound track and i love it dearly. lol.

1. I enjoyed the 5th book but it was very aggrivating to read becuase of everything that happened to Harry. It was a bit long on some parts and not nearly as fun and fancey free as the other four, but still good.

2. Mine has to be th third book. Eventhough it is the shortest, I thought it was the most enjoyable becuase it was dark but light hearted at the same time.

3. I think that the movies DO do the books justice. They did a great job on the costumes and the actors chosen as well as the casle that was used for Hogwarts. People are just being too nitpicky about it. Personally, I'm excited for the third movie, however, apparently this is going to be the last one...=(

1. the fifth book was very delightful in that he finally takes charge and does something about that problem with voldemort. there was the added bonus of the concept of magical biggotry in umbridge. and the mortality of the characters with sirius. there were some points where the story got depressing and there were also points when i even felt embarrassed for harry. it was "an emotional roller coaster"

2. harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban was my favorite book of the series. the story was wonderful in that harry got up to mischevious ways and gained many new friends. plus the dementors kicked butt.

3. the movies werent as true to the story as i had hoped. but, they were still very well executed. the special effects were amazing and the actors really captured the essence of the characters they were playing. it was very unfortunate that richard harris (a.k.a. professor dumbledore) died of liver cancer last october. but, i have faith that the producers will find another actor that will fill his shoes quite nicely.

The Order of the Pheonix was good in the sense that it gave me a character to really, really, REALLY despise. After reading it nothing delighted me more than imagining Umbridge's very graphic death. Also, Harry is revealed not to be the perfect hero he is. In the first three books he's more or less this nice, quiet boy who rarely gets ticked (and when he's ticked, everyone knows it). Here we see his temper, full-blown.
Also, OotP broke the pattern a bit. Harry's little adventure out of Hogwarts did absolutely no good except to round up a bunch of Death Eaters, and what are the odds that Voldemort won't get them back soon? He did not do anything to defeat Voldemort; he had to get saved by Dumbledore. The ministry was wrecked because of him - though it's not a loss I mourn, considering bloody @#$%&ing Fudge.
And Tonks. ([i]Nymphadora![/i]) Tonks might have been rather a Mary Sue, but she is [b]cool[/b]. Same with Luna.
McGonagall is fantastic. Nothing I need to say here.
Then there's the debate whether Sirius really died or not... or whether he was dead before or after he hit the veil, or if he was merely Stunned. Even so, we won't be seeing him. *sniffles*
The one real thing I didn't like was the ending. A bit childish, as it was a bit like the ending in PoA.

My favorite book? Don't have one. Love 'em all. Well, except for the fact that Philosopher's Stone kept repeating the phrase, "rooted to the spot" at least three times. That phrase was old when my [i]mother[/i] was a kid.

The movies weren't too good. The acting done by the children was rather stilted - like a school play. The lines were delivered too "deliberately", if you understand what I mean. I'll probably watch Prisoner of Azkaban only to see Snape [i](*drool*)[/i], Lupin and Sirius [i](*yet more drool*)[/i].

Regarding books into movies, it partially depends on the director and how much he understands the movie. For example, The Sandman was going to have a movie done; it had a damn good [URL=http://www.avary.com/theskinny/sandman/script-sandman7-10-96.html]script[/URL] but guess what? The man who was directing it wanted Morpheus to defeat the Corinthian by dressing up in tights and beating him up, in a manner similar to Batman. Anyone who have read the Sandman books knows Morpheus wouldn't do anything like that.
Thank God the movie was never made.

1. The fifth was a little too long a depressing. (Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against long books, but it seemed too dragged out.) I'm the kind of person that puts myself too much in the shoes of the main character in any book/movie/etc. I experience. Therefore, anything frustrating that happens to Harry affects me as well. Because of that, I had a difficult time likely books 2, 4, and 5 because of Lockhart, Rita Skeeter, and Umbridge respectively. The other thing, is that, for me, I prefer that the main character no be whiny. I have to be able to admire him/her. I hold people to higher standard than the way Harry acts in both books 4 and 5. Ok...so I'm a little judgemental...so sue me.
2. The 3rd book was by far my fave. I LOVE Lupin! He's my fave character in the series (tied w/ Hermione). I also liked Sirius [spoiler] however, I wasn't too upset when he died, for some reason...[/spoiler] I'm a little worried about this movie since they don't have Chris Columbus or *draws a blank*--the guy who played Dumbledore, the guy who died.
3. I think the movies could have been better/worse. I think Emma Watson does an awesome job of Hermione. McGonagal is awesome. :laugh: What I don't get is all those girls obsessed w/ Rupert Grint...what is up w/ that??? :twitch: I guess what bothers me is that he sort of looks like my cousin. I can't find that attractive (not to mention that he's probably 4 or 5 years younger than me...) :twitch: I did sort of go for Sean Biggerstaff (Oliver Wood)...it must've been the accent...*sighs* :love: :love2: lol
As long as we're comparing HP to LOTR, I'd like to point out that Tolkien's is written as an epic to be compared to Beowulf and other classics. It's supposed to be much more mature. Comparing HP to LOTR is like comparing Shel Silverstine to Edgar Allen Poe. Sure, Shel's fun to read and has some good points, but if you want something deep, you'd pick Edgar over Shel.

[b]1. what did you think of the book?[/b]
Order of the Pheonix was pretty good, but it felt wrong somehow: too gritty, too angsty. The problem is, at least for me, that the thing that makes the Harry Potter books great is the wierd and wacky world the characters inhabit, and that world seemed far too ordinary and grey throughout order of the Pheonix. Also [spoiler]NO QUIDDITCH!? What the hell was she thinking![/spoiler]. The death also shocked me. I would literally rather any other character would have died [spoiler]I also hated it how she played on the fact everyone knew someone was going to die by chucking all those fake deaths into the last fight, like when it seems Tonks has been hit by an Adavra Kedavra[/spoiler]

[b]2.what is your favorite book out of the series?[/b]
Harry Potter and the philosophers stone. It's the only one I've read more than once or twice: a true classic IMO. The others are good, but its the way Harrys nightmarishly dull and boring world suddenly becomes wierd and magical, and the way Harry transforms from a bullied kid with broken glasses to a student Wizard. Nothing can beat that first immersion into the HP world: Hagrid, Diagon alley, Hogwarts...great stuff.

[b]3.Do the movies give the books justice?[/b]
No they don't. Too long, too boring, not funny enough by half, badly put together. Some classic moments, but not many. Also, they got a lot of things wrong: they had a tendency to use their computer effects to over-magic everything: like the quidditch stadium. It shouldn't look that wierd. It should be more like a classic stadium but with quidditch hoops and whatnot: not enough ordinary in the extraordinary.
If they want an example of how to put a long fantasy book into a good film, Lord of the Rings is it.

Guest Skyechild91
I love Harry Potter. I own all the current books, and movies. The movies definatley arrent as good as the books. Snape was not right in my opinion. Malfoy(Draco) was okay, I guess, but thats probably because I have a crush on the actor-OOps, you didnt hear that. Anyhoos, its kinda neat.

- Storm

The thing about books into movies is that it tends to ruin your imagination of what actually went on. Everyone has a different interpretation of what the scenes and characters actually look like, no matter how precisely they were described, so no book-movie could ever match to anyone's expectations.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vash's girl [/i]
[B]I checked, I didn't see a thread for it (if I missed it forgive me). But I thought, how can this be?! Someone out there has to read Harry Potter! OK, I really want to talk about the 5th book. It was super long and depressing. I couldn't believe it when [spoiler]Sirius died but it wasn't really emotional.[/spoiler] Harry was so depressed and he depressed me! But I just wanted to know
1. what did you think of the book?
2.what is your favorite book out of the series?
3.Do the movies give the books justice? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue] For starters, I know how you felt after read it, I really wanted to run out and scream HOW! OH MY GOODDNESS! WHY! That happen! Therefore, I wish I had the luck you did with this board posting. I mean no one around me had read it yet and I needed to tell some one about it.

1. I thought it was great. I have now read all five books and I really enjoyed reading all of them. It did make me cry when [Spoiler] they killed off Sirius and they way Harry was so sad and angry through out the 5th book. It gave the book a darker under tone! [/Spoiler] Which I felt did not need to be there.

2. As for my fav. part of the series I like it when Harry found about Sirius [Spoiler] being his god father and his dad?s best friend [/Spoiler] He really needed it and that is why I put off when [Spoiler] She killed him off. [/spoiler] In addition, I wish [Spoiler] Harry had gotten some of the props from Professor Dumbledore sooner. I mean he needed it. [/Spoiler] Oh ya, when Harry [Spoiler] Got to get into Professor Snape?s thing I thought it was the perfect reason for him to hate Harry! [/Spoiler]

3. I think the movies for the first two did it good, but I felt that it did left out some key point. [Spoiler] When they did not include some of the story in the second one and the first one, it will be harder to bring it up in the other movies. They left out he had already been in the forest and met some of it is inhabitances. The third movie is almost ready to come out and I cannot wait to see it, even if they are looking older then the story characters are in the book. [/Spoiler]

THE FIZZ[/color]:wigout:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SadClown [/i]
[B]My favorite thing about this thread is how everyone is critisizing the movies and saying how bad they are eventhough so much work went into making them. I'd like to see any of you do better. [/B][/QUOTE]

Making [i]any[/i] movie requires tremendous amounts of work and money (although some are definitely less expensive to film than others).

I'm not an experienced director or scriptwriter, so perhaps I might be incapable of "doing better." However, I can guarantee you that with a different crew (lead by someone like Peter Jackson or James Cameron), the Harry Potter movies would have been much more entertaining and enjoyable.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is (so far) fantastic, and has succeeded in fulfilling the high expectations of many ardent fans. What's keeping the Harry Potter series from doing the same?

~Dagger~

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by SadClown
My favorite thing about this thread is how everyone is critisizing the movies and saying how bad they are eventhough so much work went into making them. I'd like to see any of you do better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, nowhere in my post did I say that i thought that i could do better. I do think they are good, i just think that they have some things that they could work on. In fact i love those movies!!! I have both of them and i can't wait for the third one to come out!! The movies were well done but the whole, well i don't know the exact word for it but they just could've done better from converting the book to a movie. They did do a good job. They just could've done a tiny bit better.