OtakuBoards

Ceramics

Shinmaru

I've been taking a ceramics class in school for the past few months and I'm surprised at how much I've enjoyed it.

All I've made so far are a few bowls but it's really enjoyable going through the whole process of actually making them and glazing them. You really feel a sense of accomplishment when you get the pieces back from the glaze kiln...you can't help but look at the pieces and say "Wow, I made this?" Even with bad looking pieces lol.

I really like the environment in my class, too. It's nice and cool and it's a great break from the horribly hot weather in California. And it's actually pretty relaxing, too...working with the clay relieves a bit of tension, I've found.

So, how many other people have taken up ceramics as either a class or a hobby? How many of you have enjoyed it to the extent that I have?

I took a Pottery class in 10th grade and I loved it. My favorite class in all of high school by far. Some of the projects we had to do were stupid but others like the animal one were so fun.

I made an armadillo (it looked great, btw) that I did a really cool effect on with the glazes. First, I put two coats of grey, let them dry, then put one coat of brown over top of it. When it came out of the kiln, there was this really cool marble effect with the brown and grey. I was expecting the colors to mix, but got much better results just by experimenting. :)

If I had my pottery work here at school, I would take a picture of everything and post it, but it's all at home. :(

[size=1][i]Happy 400 posts![/i][/size]

I am ceramics 3 right now. I took it all year last year and I enjoyed it. So, I am taking the next class in ceramics. I've made so many pots. I also made a sculpture of an iguana. I love ceramics. Other than woodshop and Japanese, it is my favorite class. I also feel lucky because I have a great teacher. He is a great artist and really outgoing. Since I took ceramics 1 and 2 sophmore year, I am going to take 3 and 4 this year. I feel really relaxed in that class. It is just a nice class to have for a change.

I have had a ceramic class for some time now. I had it in the start of 10th, and I will be in the class today around 2:30. I usually free hand. I have only worked with a wheel twice. I have found the class to be helpful to me as a "artist" to broaden my scoop of artistry. That and it completely blows math, English, and history out of the water. I haven?t thought much on why people today have such a fascination with the arts. I just hope more people make it a hobby.

I actually find that I have a deeper understanding of this stuff since I'm taking Art History in conjunction with Ceramics.

It's all very interesting stuff. Seeing how the artwork of each era intertwined with what was happening with the group of people who made it is very fascinating. Also, I'm getting some really cool background on how the particular works of art that we're learning about are actually made. The actual thought that goes into a lot of this work is absolutely astounding.

So, if your school has both Ceramics and Art History, I'd wholeheartedly advise you to take them both. Very interesting classes.