OtakuBoards

Homecoming '03

Vegitto4

[size=1]Well, I just arrived home from my dance, and the game was last night. Sadly, we lost, again, for the second year in a row. 28-3. We also lost to our rival school for the 7th year in a row.
I took my date to Patrizios( a Better tasting olive garden). Dinner was very cheap actually. Only $20. I had a blast though. Food was good, the dance was great. Music was.....eh. Rap. It does have a better dance beat than my music though. My date was awesome. She happened to be my most recent EX, and since we are still good friends, we decided to continue on with out plans and go to the dance together.

So, the point of this thread is this. If you have already had your Homecoming weekend, then tell the story. If not, then tell what you wish to happen on that weekend. If you despise school dances altogether, please post with discretion, and courtesy(sp?) to those that dont mind them, or love them. [/size]

Guest cloricus
Is this another weird American ritual that I am unaware of? Care to explain for those that aren't avid watchers of cheap tv shows from over there.

Ok, cloricus, maybe I missed at some point where you [I]are[/I] from, but your avatar hints that you're a disgruntled American citizen. (at least, that's what I've been thinking for some time, but, you know, it's late...)
Anyway, our dance was back at the beginning of October. We won our game (yes!!) against one of our major rivals. I was a bit disappointed w/ our Homecoming Royalty... but, there's not much you can do about it... :rolleyes:
I had fun at the dance, went with a younger guy who was crazy enough to ask me, music coulda been better (mostly rap and R&B which is quite funny considering we have about 5 blacks in our entire school. We crazy caucasians look pretty funny dancing to that music...) :laugh:
Low point of the night: a bunch of lovely drunk jocks decided to start shoving each other around in the middle of the dance. I got hit pretty hard... I was [I]thisclose[/I] to punchin' the next guy who ran into me. (which is quite hilarious considering most of them are 3 or 4 times my size...)

Cloricus is from Austrailia(sp?). Homecoming is the fall formal for most highschools. It is supposed to be a celebration for college freshman to return home to see old friends. It has gotten way out of hand, so now it's not even for that anymore. There is typically a homecoming football game the night before, and it is supposed to be against a team that that school would beat. This is not always the case however. Such as My game. That's pretty much it

Understand it now cloricus?

My Homecoming was a blast well first of all it was my last one so that made it kinda sad, but one of my goods friends and I went with a bunch of my friends. The dance was sweet they played all my faveorite music like Rap and others. And after we all went to Olive garden and my friends idiot boyfriend tryed to steal the vino (wine) and the dumbass got in trouble, and after that it is a tradidtion in my school for some odd reason after dinner you have t goto Wal-Mart I don't know why. But all in all I had a great time.

My homecoming was alright. Let's see. I got up at 9, spent 3 hours doing my hair, one of my friends called to see if we could get her sister into the dance (middle schoolers weren't allowed,so thier dates usually snuck em in,but her date messed up and couldn't go so I felt bad for her),and then I was all dressed up,had my mom run me into drug mart for a camera,lol,then I wnet to my friend's house,did her hair,got picked up to go to dinner at my friend's grandma's house, picked everyone else up,drove 30 minutes to dinner, ate dinner, went to the dance,didn't have a date so the night sucked, watched my EX who I still kinda liked then practically attack this poor girl that was his date,felt bad and depressed w/ a friend of mine,was in sum1's formal picture,got picked up to go sleepover my friend's house,cried when I got there,didn't bother to take my hair down,hung my dress up,changed and cried myself to sleep....it sucked....

My homecoming was ok. I went with my friend, Mike. He's a cool guy. He took me to a resteraunt called, "The Thai Cafe." The food was wonderful! After that, we went to his house, took pictures, and played video games. Then we went to the dance. I helped him learn how to dance, since he didn't know how. Then we just danced, walked around, and hang out with friends the rest of the dance. After the dance, we played more video games till 1 in the morning. It was pretty cool and a lot of fun. I have one more chance to go to Homecoming next year, but that's it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vegitto4 [/i]
[B]Cloricus is from Austrailia(sp?). Homecoming is the fall formal for most highschools. It is supposed to be a celebration for college freshman to return home to see old friends. It has gotten way out of hand, so now it's not even for that anymore. There is typically a homecoming football game the night before, and it is supposed to be against a team that that school would beat. This is not always the case however. Such as My game. That's pretty much it

Understand it now cloricus? [/B][/QUOTE]

Vegitto, I do agree with you that homecoming has gotten out of hand, but the "college freshmen returning home" thing still happens. In my hometown especially, if I happen to make it to the homecoming football game, there are quite a few alumni there. But yes, Spirit Week, Homecoming Game, Homecoming Dance, getting shoved into a cafeteria (that's how it was at good ole Cinnaminson)...whooptiedoo, lol.

It's odd, but I see more of my alumni people at Music Department concerts. Interesting, because at an event "Homecoming," in which alumni generally show up in mass numbers, there are very few alumni compared to a musical concert in the winter or spring...very strange.

Homecoming at my high school was usually all bark and no bite. The build-up to this fall dance was MASSIVE, as every Spirit Week is. I go as far as to say, overhyped. I'm not as easily impressed as others--something REALLY needs to be exceptional for me to get my skirt knocked up, and Spirit Week and Homecoming just...never did anything for me.

[B]Cloricus is from Austrailia(sp?). Homecoming is the fall formal for most highschools. It is supposed to be a celebration for college freshman to return home to see old friends. It has gotten way out of hand, so now it's not even for that anymore. There is typically a homecoming football game the night before, and it is supposed to be against a team that that school would beat. This is not always the case however. Such as My game. That's pretty much it

Understand it now cloricus? [/B][/QUOTE]

wow,I live here and attend homecoming and I never knew why they called it homecoming...lol...yea,I didn't see any of our alumni there. We won the game though.

Guest cloricus
[B]Understand it now cloricus? [/B][/QUOTE]

[i]Australia[/i].

Fall I've picked up means summer right? Okay so homecoming is basically an excuse to have a game of footy (if you could call your version that) and then have a dance and proceed to get drunk at after parties? Sounds like a good idea to me.

The closest thing here is the yearly match between my schools' first fifteen and it's main rival's in (real) footy, it normally draws a crowd of five thousand plus and the winning team proceeds to get plastered after. Ahem. :D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cloricus [/i]
[B]Fall I've picked up means summer right? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]Fall is autumn. Even I know that. ~_^

Anyway, it sounds like most of you had a pretty good time. The end of the school year is always a lot of fun; I'll never forget my Year 12 formal.

Although, the American school year has only just started, hasn't it? It's the complete opposite here, in terms of dates (where our school year is in ending right about now.[/color]

I wouldn't mind all these dances if I ever had dates for any of them.I don't wnat to sound like one of those girls who thinks you can't have fun without a date, but seriously, it's so depressing to be alone....*sigh*.....and my friends say it's my fault due to my refusal to ask somebody

[size=1]Wow ... what a good example this topic shows of cultural differences, heh. The "Fall/Autumn" struck me as the oddest. I guess I took that term for granted.

Anyway, as for homecoming, I never attend my own school's events. To begin with, I do not care to go, and secondly, no one ever asks. If someone would ask I would probably go, I do it for other friends at other schools. Last school year I was asked to three different dances - homecoming, a costume dance, and prom - at the school in which I do my theater work. It kind of helps that it is an all girl, Catholic school. So it is not like a girl can bring another girl, they actually say that in the rules for the dances, lol. Anyway, I am well known among the theater department there, obviously, and I have my group of friends within that area so one of them usually asks me. Two of them did it because they liked me, the other was more of an agreement so she would not have to go by herself. Although, at each one of these dances I just planted my roots on the wall, and pretty much stayed that way throughout the whole event. I am just not much of a dancer, lol. The people I go with usually make me slow dance, which I have no problem doing, but other than that I do not do much of anything. It kind of makes me wonder why people really kept asking, lol. It is kind of hard to get into what is going on when the music is horrible.

Of course, I am already going again this year. I was actually traded around between two girls, lol, but there are reasons for that. The one I am going with says that she is going to make me dance ... but I do not see that happening. >.>

Dances just are not my thing.[/size]

[size=1] Well, last year, my date dumped me the week of. So I said screw it, and decided to go by myself, and have the time of my life. I did just that. I stole 2 dates from the guys they were with, and danced the night away. I think that dates are nice, but they are not always necessary. [/size]