OtakuBoards

Broken PS2 disc tray?

SephirothNIN

A week or 2 ago, I rented Unlimited Saga (horrible horrible game), and after 20-30 min I couldn't stand playing anymore. I should mention I have my PS2 set up horizontally. So anyway I opened the disc tray and went to take out the game, and I accidently bumped the tray a bit too hard. When I took the game (and threw it back in its awful case) out and hit open/close, the tray would close, blink (the light not the tray) for 3 or 4 seconds, and then open again. I kept trying that, or smacking it on the side but it kept doing that. Finally I just turned the PS2 off while it was stuck in it stemporary closed position cause I was sleepy. The next day when I turned it on the same stuff kept happening. Finally I tried turning the PS2 horizontally and that works fine, but I was wondering if there's any way to fix my PS2 so it plays games while it's horizontal as well. Because my PS2's on top of my TV and I don't want it falling off. I guess I could always get the stand...but still if someone just bumps into my tv it'll still fall.

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Hmm. . when I first read the thread title, I was in fear that you would say you used the disk tray as a cup holder. . lol.

Seriously, I keep mine horizontal, and while my friend keeps his vertical, I have never heard of any such problem. Obviously it's something that I wouldn't try to fix myself. If you really care, you could send it in to get repaired somewhere? If you don't feel like taking that much time or spending money, just find a spot it works horizontally at. You could move it to the ground or something *shrug* Just a thought. . really don't feel like telling you to pop open your PS2 and tinkering with it. . [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Well...if you don't mind voiding your warrentee, open it and dont' touch anything, but look at it. If there is like, something touching it, holding it open, then it's that. But it's probably something with the button, like,it's messed up and piceks every hit up as two.

But don't listen to me.

~`_Nate_`~

I had that problem. Though I can't really help you.

Put your ear to the console and close the disc tray, or open it, whatever, and see if you can hear any abnormal noises. I did this, and I heard a grinding noise, like something scraping the side of it. It could also be the eject button.

I didn't fix it myself though, I sent it in to an electronics shop here and they fixed it for $10. Nice.

That's weird. I've got mine set horizontally, so the only problem I have is the eternally annoying Disc Read Error (the console equivalent to the Blue Screen of Death- I've got a comic about this, but the link's down right now...). The reason for the Disc Read Error, I think, is that I bought the first model PS2. Luckily, I believe they fixed the problem with a new model (ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE other than the fixed problem) which I'm getting for X-Mas! *sweeeet* Good luck with that tray. If it doesn't fix, just keep it horizontal.