OtakuBoards

Top Ten Movies of All Time

Guest rttocs77

Guest rttocs77
What are everyones top ten movies?
Here are mine:

[b] 1) Chinatown [/b]
This is my all time favorite movie. I think it started film noir and had one of the most intriguing screenplay ever written.

[b] 2) Pulp Fiction [/b]
Quentin Tarentino's best. The screenplay was phenominal, the acting was fantastic, and the directing/cinematography was outstanding.

[b] 3) Psycho [/b]
I think this is Hitchcock's best work. I liked it better than Vertigo, and Psycho is probably the most influential horror film of all time. It was also considered his response to Clouzot's 'Les Diaboliques"

[b] 4) To Catch A Thief [/b]
In terms of scenery, this film takes the cake. It was also one of Hitch's most financially successful films, considering it had two of the worlds superstars in the leading roles (Cary Grant and Grace Kelly) The story is not that spectacular, and the 'mystery' is fairly easy to figure out, but the scenery, beautiful stars, and snappy dialogue make it a classic.

[b] 5) Amelie [/b]
I believe this to be Jean Pierre Jeunet's masterpiece. The story is beautiful (one of the happiest endings I have ever witnessed) as well as the cinematography. The dazzling shots through Paris are reason enough to put it on my list.

[b] 6) The Business of Strangers [/b]
I think this is one of the most underrated films of all time. It features stellar acting by Julia Stiles as a pathalogical liar who may or may not be a writer and Stockard Channing as an uptight, stressed out executive. It is amazing how such a fantastic story can unfold in such limited settings. 99% of the film takes place in a hotel overnight. I think it really shows how men handle taboo subjects (like rape) differently than women.

[b]7) Les Diaboliques [/b] (the original French one, not the horrid Sharon Stone remake)
I think this marvelous French suspense masterpiece has unfluenced a plethera of suspense films to follow. In also taking into consideration the time it was made, one can really see how far ahead of its time this film was. The last bit has also got to be the most suspenseful segment in cinema history.

[b] 8) American Beauty [/b]
Wow.

[b] 9) Eyes Wide Shut [/b]
I think this is Kubrick's undererrated piece of genius. It's sad that it wasn't released till after he and the production company came in at the last minute and started editing and censoring right and left. I think the meat (heh) of the story is still there though and the camera work is stellar.

TIE [b] 10) The Royal Tennenbaums [/b]
This is probably one of the best casts ever to come together. The story was hilarious and heartwarming. I could watch it over and over again.

TIE [b] 10) Magnolia [/b]
As with The Royal Tennenbaums, I think Magnolia was perfectly cast. I love how all the stories were intertwined showing a day of ten strangers in L.A.s San Fernando Valley. It is also one of the few three + hour long movies I have ever been able to sit through.

So what are your top ten? Have any comments about the ones I have chosen?

These threads are always annoying. You always get some film buff that is like "How can you name that movie that's from the past decade!!!" or some nonsense. I just list films that really appealed to me... I'm not about to list Casablanca personally. Maybe if this was a list called Important Movies for the History of Film lol.

[b]1.) Pee-wee's Big Adventure[/b]
Tim Burton's first full movie director's role as well as Danny Elfman's first film score... plus Pee-wee, who rocks.

I love many things about this film. The look, the music, the over the top acting and situations, Pee-wee's facial expressions... Mostly the whole idea of him really being a kid in an adult's body. I could watch this every day. It's a shame so many haven't seen it.

[b]2.) Nightmare Before Christmas[/b]
Another Tim Burton, Danny Elfman movie. This is another movie I could probably watch everyday. I love the characters, I love the animation, I love the music... I love everything about it. Animated movies (stop motion, cel or otherwise) don't get much better than this, in my opinion.

[b]3.) Edward Scissorhands[/b]
Yet another film with those two... heh. This sealed Johnny Depp as an acting god, in my opinion. He could convey more with simple body language than some actors can in their entire careers.

[b]4.) Alice in Wonderland[/b]
My favorite Disney film. I can never get over how odd it is, even when keeping the book in mind. They did a great job in every respect. I never got why so many people tell me this film is boring.

[b]5.) Evil Dead[/b]
To me, this is what all horror movies should be like. A nice amount of humor mixed with a nice amount of gore. Evil Dead II gets a mention simply because it's a 'remake' of this... and probably a lot better. But this was first, so I'll name this.

[b]6.) Sleeping Beauty[/b]
My second favorite Disney film (I don't count stuff like Nightmare Before Christmas). It's obviously a very traditional story, but it just flows so well. It's funny how some of the most important characters are really flat in personality, but it doesn't matter. The whole art style is excellent too... looks like old paintings from the era in which this would have taken place.

[b]7.) Donnie Darko[/b]
Really, really great movie. I've never met two people who even agreed on what it really was about. I usually don't like movies that don't explain basic aspects of their story, but this somehow transcended that. One of the best movies I've seen in quite some time.

[b]8.) Seven[/b]
Fincher totally made up for Alien 3 (even if that wasn't really his fault) with this movie. Gets bonus points for opening with a NIN song, but the whole thing is great. Great performances overall.

[b]9.) Grave of the Fireflies[/b]
The only anime I've personally seen that I feel actually belongs in a Top 10 list. Really, really amazing stuff. Helps that it's totally gorgeous too.

[b]10.) The Phantom Tollbooth[/b]
My favorite book and therefore one of my favorite animated films. I really wish this would hit DVD already.

I'd also give a mention to Alien and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm... still the best Batman movie ever, in my opinion.

Here's my Top Ten! And I'm not gonna try to get all artsy on you all because I know how that can get annoying. I meet a lot of those types in all my film classes -_-' Anyway, this isn't a fixed list for me. This is all based on how I'm feeling right now ^_^

[b]1. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring[/b]
This has got to be my favorite film ever. I loved it a lot more than the 2nd installment, mainly because I loved the exposition and the development of the plot and characters. And because I really love the books, I'm a bit biased ^_^ I think almost everything LOTR-related is great ^_^

[b]2. Stargate[/b]
I LOVE this movie! LOL. I love the idea of traveling around the universe using a Stargate! The costumes and headmasks of the Ancient Egyptian gods are incredibly cool. The TV-series is great, too! ^_^

[b]3. Spirited Away[/b]
The animation in this is phenomonal, and the story itself is intriguing ^_^

[b]4. Memento[/b]
I love the nonlinear, detective-like plot. It's really kind of freaky how memory can be messed with. *shudder*

[b]5. Disney's Beauty and the Beast[/b]
This is my favorite Disney movie of all time. I used to watch it everyday when I was little! ^_^

[b]6. Nights of Cabiria[/b]
I was forced to watch this movie in a lower div film class, and I thought I was going to hate it, but I ended up loving it instead.

[b]7. Rashomon[/b]
Akira Kurosawa is a genius. Awesome film, and you gotta love Toshiro Mifune!! Okay, might as well just add [i]Seven Samurai[/i] to this spot...and [i]Ikiru[/i] as well. Kurosawa is my idol. He should be closer to the top of this list...

[b]8. Amelie[/b]
The colors in this film are amazing; this is a visual feast for your eyes, and the story is charming ^_^

[b]9. Sixteen Candles[/b]
This film is downright hilarious!!!

[b]10. Crybaby[/b]
Johnny Depp. 'Nuff said.

^_^ I have so many favorites, but I guess those are my top ten right now. My opinions will probably change in an hour or so once I remember a few more movies I've seen LOL.

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by haruno_sakura [/i]
[B]Here's my Top Ten! And I'm not gonna try to get all artsy on you all because I know how that can get annoying. I meet a lot of those types in all my film classes -_-' Anyway, this isn't a fixed list for me. This is all based on how I'm feeling right now ^_^[/B][/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with being artsy :twitch:

[B]
[b]8. Amelie[/b]
The colors in this film are amazing; this is a visual feast for your eyes, and the story is charming ^_^

[b]9. Sixteen Candles[/b]
This film is downright hilarious!!!
[/B][/QUOTE]

I [U]totally[/U] agree with Amelie. It's on my list too. Sixteen Candles was good. That and The Breakfast Club are the best Ringwald movies. They are pretty different. Sixteen Candles was a cheer upper and The Breakfast Club is more nostalgia, in my opinion.

My top ten movies I love watching are my life.

10.) Super Troopers- Those cops crack me up.

9.) Nutty Professor II "The Klumps"- I get hungrey just watching this movie.

8.) The Scorpion King- The Rock is fine and cute.

7.) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets- It's better than the first movie.

6.) Pokemon movie 2000- Way better than all the others. Also, the music touched my heart.

5.) Disney's Beauty and the Beast- I've watched it since I was about 5 to 7 years old. Still watch it.

4.) Spirited Away- I love it so much. I even cried during the movie.

3.) The Ring- It's scary, but way cool.

2.) The Lord of the Rings Two Tower- I love the battle scenses.

1.) The Nightmare before Christmas- I fell in love with this movie. It's perfect for any holiday.

There're so many movies, but it's too hard to pick my favorites.:bawl: :moron:[list]
[/list]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rttocs77 [/i]
[B]There is nothing wrong with being artsy :twitch:
[/quote]

I hope I didn't offend you! I'm honestly really sorry about my poor choice of words. I should have defined what I meant. I shouldn't have used "artsy," and instead should have explained my annoyance with the bunch of know-it-all, wannabe-movie-critics I've encountered in my film classes these past three years who act as if mainstream films are worse than death. I've gotten into huge debates with these types of people who think their opinions on film are much more valid because they know the local independant theatre inside and out, and I'm frankly sick of people who act so conceited when it comes film just because I have to face these people almost every single day. There is nothing wrong with being artsy, so long as one doesn't confuse artsy as synonymous with 'better.' I've just had a bad experience with these film snobs, but that's no excuse for my lack of consideration in grouping all film art fans into the 'film snob' category. I sincerely apologize!!

Oh, and for my list [i]Rashomon[/i] is tied with the [i]Musashi Miyamoto: Samurai Trilogy[/i] films directed by Hiroshi Inagaki. How I could've forgotten my favorite classic samurai trilogy is beyond me!

Hmmm....I'm not one to rate movies very well, but...in no particular order...

10) Dogma: No matter how many times I watch Loki and Bartleby shoot up the heads of a pseudo-Disney corporation, it's still funny.

9) X2: Two words: Nightcrawler, Pyro

8) Spider-Man: Sure, the Goblin was a little cheesy, but this movie kicked the crap out of any Batman movie made in the last ten years.

7) The Matrix: The original is always the best.

6) Star Trek: First Contact- This was the last time the Borg were really scary. It was also the best NG movie...well, it beat the crap out of Generations and Insurrection.

5) 12 Angry Men: Come on, just 'cuz it's in B&W doesn't mean it can't be cool.

4) The Lion King: 'Nuff said.

3) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: When I was a kid, I watched this movie until the tape broke. Ahh, the days of VHS...

2) Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery: Back in the day, before he got watered down with pointless and disgusting sequals.

1) There is no movie number one. That's right, I only listed nine.

Guest rttocs77
[B]I shouldn't have used "artsy," and instead should have explained my annoyance with the bunch of know-it-all, wannabe-movie-critics I've encountered in my film classes these past three years who act as if mainstream films are worse than death. I've gotten into huge debates with these types of people who think their opinions on film are much more valid because they know the local independant theatre inside and out, and I'm frankly sick of people who act so conceited when it comes film just because I have to face these people almost every single day. There is nothing wrong with being artsy, so long as one doesn't confuse artsy as synonymous with 'better.' I've just had a bad experience with these film snobs, but that's no excuse for my lack of consideration in grouping all film art fans into the 'film snob' category. I sincerely apologize!!
[/B][/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you there. I think a lot of film students and film critics are too afraid to speak poorly of an 'art' film. I think people are too afraid to critisize films they don't fully understand. I like to mention the all time overrated film, [I]Mulholland Drive[/I] . It didn't make any ******* sense what-so-ever, yet critics everywhere said how amazing and genius it was. Another film was [I]Swimming Pool[/I] that had wonderful cinematography and acting but it was so far fetched that the horrible plot overshadowed any redeeming qualities from it. The only thing I could get from it is that the novelists stay in France was actually her [spoiler] novel being manifested and everything they showed did not really happen, but was just part of her novel she was writing. [/spoiler]

I for one am not afraid to say a movie sucked even if I did not fully comprehend it, and usually in that case there was nothing to understand.

Sorry to get off topic, I just had to throw in my two 'sense/cents' :cool:

1) [b]Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.[/b] The movie is just so damned enjoyable...it has so many different elements (drama, romance, action, adventure, mystery, etc.) fit into one movie, it's amazing. Plus, you gotta love the shocker at the end (though, I doubt it shocks anyone anymore lol).

2) [b]Pulp Fiction.[/b] I was quite shocked at how much I enjoyed this movie. Lots of people like to harp on about the cinematography, directing, etc. but I'm not really into that. What I did like was the great acting and the cool story, heh. I was into this movie from beginning to end.

3) [b]Star Wars: A New Hope.[/b] Ah, the movie that started my obsession with the Sci-Fi genre. How could I [i]not[/i] list it? Everything about it is just classic stuff...plus, I still find myself oddly impressed by the Death Star exploding at the end lol.

4) [b]Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.[/b] The first and the best. Watching Indy beat the tar out of the Nazis has never been more enjoyable, especially watching the DVD version (which is crystal clear, I might add). This movie actually made me dream of being a kickass archaeologist when I was younger lol.

5. [b]Silence of the Lambs.[/b] Just a gruesome, weird movie. Psychos like Hannibal Lecter and Buffalo Bill make it worth watching, heh. Thrilling ending, too.

6. [b]Psycho.[/b] This crazy movie threw me for a loop, heh. Simple beginnings at the motel with a crazy psychopathic murderer [spoiler]with a crazy mother that only exists within the confines of Norman Bates' twisted mind.[/spoiler] I love this stuff.

7. [b]The Lion King.[/b] Still my favorite Disney movie to date. A couple annoying songs (I was ready to kill Simba at the end of 'Just Can't Wait to be King') but the movie is well worth watching, especially for Scar. Scar owns you and your mother.

8. [b]Dogma.[/b] My personal favorite of Kevin Smith's movies (though, I still haven't seen them all). Loki and Bartelby own you and your mother, as well. And any movie with Jay and Silent Bob in it is cool.

9. [b]A Detective Story.[/b] My favorite animated short on The Animatrix. Old school film noir mixed with crystal clear animation? Gotta love it.

10. [b]Super Mario Bros.[/b] I should've put this at #1. Everything is top-notch. The acting, the screenplay, the cinematography, the characters, the visuals, the complete and accurate representation of Nintendo's franchise...this movie rules. I recommend it to everyone.

[size=1]Note: No, I don't like Super Mario Bros. I put it in as a joke. If you see it, I will not be held responsible for you wanting to gouge your eyes out. Thank you.[/size]

EDIT: I might as well put in a real #10 lol.

10. [b]Monty Python and the Holy Grail.[/b] I've barely seen this great movie for the first time a few weeks ago...utterly hilarious. The movie is an insane, random, hilarious movie and I'd recommend it to anyone who even remotely loves comedies. If this doesn't make you laugh at least 50 times you are a cold heartless bastard.

My Top 10 goes something like this,

1) King Kong (circa 1933)
2) Apocalypse Now
3) Dr. Strangelove
4) The Graduate
5) Taxi Driver
6) Monty Python double hit (Holy Grail and Life Of Brian)
7) Ghostbusters
8) Alien double hit (Alien and Aliens...the last two suck ***)
9) Terminator double hit (T1 and T2)
10) Pulp Fiction

Okay, so it's not really 10 movies...more like 16...but you get the idea lol.

I saw a network broadcast of King Kong when I was a kid in the mid 80s and fell in love with it. The soundtrack just pumped you up, and nobody could just sit still when King Kong fought with the T-Rex. Even the sheer technical brilliance is unmatched today. Today, filmmakers just resort to CG when creating a movie monster. King Kong used stop-motion animation with 14 inch figurines. It used rear screen and miniature screen projection and black paint on removable lenses to matte the actors in with Kong.

Rear screen projection involves projecting completed stop-motion animation onto a massive glass or thin cloth sheet, then filming the live-action actors reacting in front of the projected film.

Miniature screen projection is essentially the opposite. Completed live-action film is projected onto a tiny screen in the miniature set, and advanced frame by frame as the stop-motion animation is filmed.

Truly excellent and innovative stuff. King Kong also brought blue screen techniques into the limelight. How's that for setting history?

Apocalypse Now. Epic filmmaking. Francis Ford Coppola's greatest work, in my opinion. The film has enormous scope, spanning 3 hours and just blowing us away with its grandeur. We follow Captain Willard as he travels deep into the darkest heart of Cambodia to assassinate the renegade Colonel Kurtz. But as we go deeper and deeper into the savage jungle, Willard becomes a savage. He becomes Kurtz in mind.

Stunning cinematography, the colors are orgasmic, filled with reds, yellows, oranges, and blacks when we arrive at Kurtz's Compound.

Some say it is the greatest war movie ever. I am inclined to agree with them.

I recommend that you all see Apocalypse Now...try to find the REDUX edition. It's breathtaking.

Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb. The ultimate black comedy. Black comedy is dark satire, not something like Scary Movie. Dr. Strangelove starts with an insane general who orders a nuclear strike against Russia simply because he got tired after...ah...to put this mildly...releasing during intimate activity. When President Merkin Muffley is informed of General Ripper?s exploitation of Plan R, the War Room becomes a madhouse as Muffley and his staff, including the loony General Buck Turgidson, attempt to prevent a nuclear holocaust. Complicating the situation is the drunken Russian leader, Premier Kissof, and the disturbing revelation of the Russian Doomsday Machine, a machine that will destroy the world if attacked.

The movie is pure, unadulterated lunatic satire. Simply amazing. Most won?t appreciate the humor, sadly, because most would go in expecting the blatant sickness of a Kevin Smith movie (No offence to Kevin Smith, of course. His movies are hilarious, but just crude.).

The Graduate. Three words. Simon and Garfunkel. Two more words. Dustin Hoffman. Two more. Mike Nichols. Two more. Anne Bancroft. The Graduate is a young college graduate?s odyssey of seduction, betrayal, love, apathy, insecurity, and a self-realization. This film was poignant back in the 60s, but it still touches the very essence of what it means to grow up and mature. We all are Benjamin Braddock, staring out into the vast world, ?just a little worried about [our] future.?

Feeling down and lonely, like no-one is there to understand? Spend 2 hours with Ben. You?ll feel right as rain.

Taxi Driver. Social outcast, a loner, depressed, apathetic, a bit sad, angry, simple yet intelligent. That is Travis Bickle, and that is who we get shoved into a cab with for an entire film. By the end of Taxi Driver, we cannot help but view the world differently. We see things as Travis sees them, but the question is, ?Were we ever looking at the world differently than Travis?? Travis describes himself as ?God?s lonely man.? How many of us have felt lonely at some point? I?m willing to bet 90% of OB. Heh.

Taxi Driver is a film that, like The Graduate, touches a vein of truth that runs deep in each and every one of us.

Monty Python. I really don?t have to say anything. Just imagine King Arthur on the quest for the Holy Grail but [spoiler]ends up getting arrested at the end, because a random knight killed a famous historian during the film of a documentary.[/spoiler]

Ghostbusters. A quintessential 80s movie. We grew up on it, we love it, our dog loves it, and we [i]all[/i] wanted a Proton Pack?well, I wanted Sigourney Weaver [i]and[/i] a Proton Pack, but what are ya going do.

Alien double hit. In space, no one can hear you scream, but in the theatre, they all can hear you. From a Hitchcock in space motif then a total genre reversal to an all-out combat picture, Alien and Aliens is the epitome of sci-fi, matched only by?

Terminator double hit. Cameron was a genius. He sucks now, but during the 80s and early 90s, he made cinema. Terminator is an all-time great sci-fi film, quite possibly in the Top 5 of all-time. The plot is brilliant, taking a conventional theme of a killer robot (harkening back to Fritz Lang?s Metropolis, perhaps), but making that killer robot a futuristic cyborg assassin sent back in time to kill the mother of John Connor, before John is even born. Kyle Reese, a human soldier, is sent back to protect Sarah Connor; [spoiler]they fall in love and conceive John.[/spoiler] Where else could the story go after that? Sarah has been institutionalized, John is a delinquent, and Skynet sends another terminator back to kill John himself. We are introduced to the T-1000, a ?mimetic polyalloy.? What the hell does that mean? Apparently, ?liquid metal.? T-1000 is a sci-fi shapeshifter, making for a very exciting villain. T2 is a 2.5 hour adrenaline rush.

Pulp Fiction. A perfect film. Cinematography, story, writing, direction, pacing?everything is perfect. The film grabs you and never lets go. You?re left feeling an electric state of wonder and joy when the end credits start rolling. I usually can only curse in expressing my amazement every time I watch Pulp Fiction. And my wonder and amazement is constant every time I watch it.

Sorry for the rambly feeling of the last half of the post here.

Jurassic Park: My first movie obsession. It was really great, being a six year old who watched Beevis and Buthead it wasnt surprising that I loved this movies violence. I became a dino freak.
The Lost World: Oh hell yeah i loved it. The biggining was kinda boring but as soon as my favorites, the raptors, [soiler]started taking out random people[/spoiler] I was happy. O_O
Jurassic Park 3: This one was the newest. I liked it a lot because it introduced new dinos and gave the raptors major credit, but all the death happened [spoiler]at the beggining![/spoiler]
All Japanese Godzilla flicks: Hail godzilla. Nuff said.
American Godzilla: My other early movie obsession. I loved it. I laughed, I (hehehe) smiled, it was a pretty good remake with a nice soundtrack.
Pokemon the first movie: A really great begginning. It features the first real violance in Pokemon. It had maning and action and cracked me up.
Pokemon 2000: Wow. Thi was a truly great movie. Awesome music, pretty good story, and a nice opening scene. Very well done combo of computer and anime.
Pokemon 3: It was pretty damn good. Probably the best PKMN movie yet. The action scenes were gret and the whole Unknown thing was creepy. # 4 wasnt very good.
Blood The Last Vampire: I am still haunted by the chiropterans. I dont look out the window, I dont go out in the dark. Wow.
Ninja Scrool: First anime movie I ever saw. Partially got me into anime. Great flick despite the nude sceens. Very bloooooody.
X The Movie: My favorite anime movie still. Very bloody, awesome and unexpected ending, and best of all, humorouse.
Shrek: Extremely funny with a great plotline. A sertain line inspired me in social studies.
The Emperers New Groove: Funniest movie I have ever seen in my short life.
Spriggan: Blood. More blood. Lots of blood. Sudden storyline catchup.......... then more blood.

Guest rttocs77
Poison Tounge...I kind of liked Alien Resurrection, mainly because I adore anything Jean Pierre Jeunet does. The cinematography was good, you have to admit. The story was kind of lacking though.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rttocs77 [/i]
[B]Poison Tounge...I kind of liked Alien Resurrection, mainly because I adore anything Jean Pierre Jeunet does. The cinematography was good, you have to admit. The story was kind of lacking though. [/B][/QUOTE]

I cared not for anything in Resurrection. The cinematography was nothing spectacular, nothing original. Just fell upon cliche after cliche after cliche. I didn't find it exciting at all, just...crap.

Do you consider Resurrection to be a good movie, simply because of camerawork? That's the worst reason. The story sucked, you admit it. Generally, story needs to be placed above visual when one is watching a movie.

Take Solaris, for example. I respect it simply for trying to be a 2001. But, it fails miserably in doing so. Should I say that even though Solaris' story was absolutely dreadful, the visuals were teh roxxcorrs, so I should enjoy the movie?

Or X2. The story was abysmal. It was unfocused, 50 pages too thick, messages were muted, characters were underdeveloped, but it's got nifty special effects...although, I felt the special effects were overhyped. Nightcrawler's teleportation madhouse didn't feel exciting at all, even though people raged about it. But since X2 had "cool" camerawork, it's a good movie? The [i]only[/i] character I found interesting was Pyro, and he had what, 10 minutes of screen time with 10 lines? That's an example of poor main characterization, when a minor supporting character grabs a viewer moreso than Wolverine or Jean Grey. Notice how Deathbug has only 2 reasons for enjoying X2? Nightcrawler and Pyro. I agree with him (her?) about Pyro, of course. Pyro's scenes were the only entertaining ones, because he had mystery...flair...a certain something to get our attention.

Now after all that, considering nifty special effects and a sub-rate story, we still enjoy the movie?

I don't buy that. I have never bought that. When we enjoy a movie simply because of some cool camera angles or CG, we're not doing the substantial movies justice.

There was a thread on the Alien series somewhere...I can't find it, though. I'd direct you to that if you want to see my view more intensely.

[b]1)[/b][i]Matrix Revolutions[/i]: If there was a movie that i would say had non stop action, and was finally an ending I could say was freaking amazing, has to be the matrix Revolutions. I won't go into why i loved it.
[b]2)[/b][i]Titanic[/i]: This movie won my heart. EVERYTHING gave me chills, and till this day. The song "my heart will go on" has to be the greatest soundtrack song since...hmm...i dont know. That was the first soundtrack song that I actually said fitted the movie. It is a winner, no matter what anyone else says.
[b]3)[/b][i]Matrix Reloaded[/i]: I love this movie. Too much, but not as much as the above. Reloaded was perfect in everyway except for the fact that it was kind of dull and it was missing pieces...but the overall feel of the movie, and to know how much work they put into it is awesome. Nowadays, even movies that are not B movies, I call them B movies....because they suck and no work was put into them. Well, Reloaded is too good to not be 3rd.
[b]4)[/b][i]The Matrix[/i]: Simply awesome. I watched this movie a billion times and never got tired...but nowadays, i just do get tired. Its a good movie, not as good as the above. It was boring though, like in the beggining and all. It was the stepping stone to one of the best, if not the best series of all time. Also one of the most controversial.
[b]5)[/b][i]Spiderman 2002[/i]: This movie gave me chills and made me piss for hours. The movie is awesome, if not my favorite at the time I watched it in. Very good movie, I rooted for an comic hero for the first time. Tobey McGuire or something like that, was born to act in spiderman. Good movie to kick off my top 5.
[b]6)[/b][i]Jurassic park 2[/i]: The first suspense, horror movie that i loved to watch. I watched this movie ooover and oooover and oooover until I couldnt no more (i basically knew the whole script). Not only did jurassic park win my votes and cought my eye at the time it came out...it still is one of my favorite movies of all time...its such a solid sequel.
[b]7)[/b][i]LOTR : Two Towers[/i]: I remember i had to sit at the very front, nearly seizured, for 3 hours. Yes i almost died watching that movie, but after sleeping it off (in the movie theatre) the last hour or so...i guess it calmed down. The movie was too long, that made it bad. The movie was solid, that made it good.
[b]8)[/b][i]Neon Genesis Evangelion : The end of evangelion[/i]: Blah, a good movie, not the best...I guess it fits my top ten. It was a ****** ending though, they kind of tried too hard to win over peoples minds about evas and stuff...kind of childish in a way. The movie was good, not the best.
[b]9)[/b][i]Voices of a distant star[/i]: A masterpiece...too short. This movie was too good, but it was a bit short...seriously. But you know, i love this movie, and i love feeling the dvd case. So, it belongs here.
[b]10)[/b][i]Blue Streak[/i]: Haha, if this movie was an epic it would had been 7 or something. This movie, i still laugh my *** off when i watch it, i dont know its too good i guess. My mom loves it, and thats a nother good factor of a movie. Martin Lawrences best movie in my eye.

[size=1] *carefully hangs up giant [b]Finding Nemo[/b] banner on the wall*

Heh. I will not put my movies in order from greatest to least, but I'll tell you guys why I enjoyed them.

[b]Grave of the Fireflies[/b]--Only movie to make me teary. And it was animated...! ^__^ Extremely moving movie...had me going sometimes. Very, [i]very[/i] awesome movie.

[b]Shawshank Redemption[/b]--I normally don't like prison movies, but this one was great. I love how Morgan Freeman narrated the whole thing, and I also like the plot. To cut to the chase, I can actually watch is several times and not get bored.

[b]Chicago[/b]--Bleh...I didn't like Moulin Rouge or however you spell it, but I really enjoyed Chicago. The songs were great, and so were the performances. :toothy: Gotta love Broadway...

[b]Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure[/b]--Yay! O_o *walks away*

[b]Back to the Future[/b]-- *breathes heavily* I am...Darth Vader...lol. I love this movie to death. I thought it was hilarious the first time I saw it, and the whole storyline played out well.

[b]Mulan[/b]--I really like this movie for some reason. ^_^ Well, first of all, I fell in love with the art the moment I saw it, so...yeah. The rest was just..."I like this movie." *shrugs*

[b]Matrix[/b]--W00t! Heh...I never planned on watching this movie until my sister forced me to. Thank God for that. The plotline is amazing, and the action and themes used throughout the movie....just wow.

[b]Finding Nemo[/b]--Good ole' kiddy-fun. ^_~ I love this movie to death. The humor is really great...and the whole CGed thing adds a bonus.

[b]Monty Python and the Holy Grail[/b]--I refused to watch the movie at first, because I was a brat in fifth grade, but my sister insisted that I watch it, and I ended up rolling on the floor with laughter.

[b]Good Burger[/b]-- He's a dude. She's a dude. We're all dudes! Hahaha...ok, joke's over.

[b]The Phone[/b]--A Korean scary movie that will make you pee in your pants.[/size]

This was very hard...a lot of it is foreign because that's all I watch.

My top ten and in no particular order because that would take me a month...

-Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown: I've seen it about a million times and no matter how wared down the cinematogrophy looks it never gets old. It's by Pedro Almodovar, a genius director from Spain, my favorite. I love the classic feminine melodramatic touch this movie has, wonderful.

-Le Femme Nikita: This movie appeals to the me that always wanted to be a kick *** trained assasin. It's very French, everything you'd expect from a [i]French[/i] spy movie and the actors are fantastic. As well of the director, Luc Besson, another genius.

-The Nightmare Before Christmas: I love the music in this movie. It's wonderfully dark, yet heartwarming.

-Central Station: It's an excruciatingly sweet movie, it takes place in Brazil's Central Station. It's a tear jerker ^_^

-Smilla's Sense of Snow: It's one of my all time favorite books, and what I love about the movie is that it doesn't disappoint me like most movies based on books do. It's very well done, even the actress is what I imagine Smilla to look like.

-Zatoichi The Blind Samurai: There are a few Blind Samurai movies, but I could not pick just one, that's damn near impossible, they're all awesome!!!

-The Princess and the Warrior: It's German and it's romantic. It's hard to find good romance movies, but this one does it perfectly. Who wouldn't want to fall in love with a schizophrenic??? Beautiful.

-City of Lost Children: It's odd and yet so cute. I love the whole idea of the big tough guy and the cute little girl working as a team. I'm a sucker for that stuff.

-Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: I think this is the only Elizabeth Taylor movie I've ever liked and/or watched to the very end. I love the whole story, with the bickering relatives and I'm always rooting for Maggie and Brick to solve their problems. I love the confrontations, the fights where something accidentaly slips out and it's so shocking you gasp. Awesome.

-Charlie Brown Christmas Special: Nothing says Christmas like some bald depressed kid and his ungrateful B**** Great Movie.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by pattiemoomoo [/i]
[B]Jim Henson's Labyrinth' [/B][/QUOTE]

*shudder* Two posts an you've already made an enemy... How can you possibly like that movie? The only good part was the tunnel of hands.

[b]Requiem For A Dream-[/b]
Just for the sheer reality and depth of the characters. Amazing story.

[b]Black Hawk Down-[/b]
I don't particularly like war films, but this one was just awesome. It was hard to keep track of the characters though...

[b]Outbreak-[/b]
I kind of like close apochalypse flicks.

[b]Event Horizon-[/b]
This is one of my favorite movies. A great psycological thriller. Plus some cool concepts.

[b]Lilo and Stitch-[/b]
'Nuff said.

[b]Star Trek: The Search for Spock-[/b]
I love the old Ttar Trek movies. This one is really great.

[b]Dune-[/b]
Sand, sun, and spice.

[b]Ferris Bueller's Day Off-[/b]
Gotta love this flick.

[b]Young Frankenstein-[/b]
"Roll, roll. Roll in the hay!"

[b]Sphere-[/b]
Great concept.

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]I cared not for anything in Resurrection. The cinematography was nothing spectacular, nothing original. Just fell upon cliche after cliche after cliche. I didn't find it exciting at all, just...crap.

Do you consider Resurrection to be a good movie, simply because of camerawork? That's the worst reason. The story sucked, you admit it. Generally, story needs to be placed above visual when one is watching a movie.

Or X2. The story was abysmal. It was unfocused, 50 pages too thick, messages were muted, characters were underdeveloped, but it's got nifty special effects...

Now after all that, considering nifty special effects and a sub-rate story, we still enjoy the movie?

There was a thread on the Alien series somewhere...I can't find it, though. I'd direct you to that if you want to see my view more intensely. [/B][/QUOTE]

He did what he could with Resurrection with such a faulty script.

I also disagree with you on X2. I thought it had nice character development and an important message on 'racism' and different phobias of certain types of people. Spiderman, in terms of comics being translated to the screen, was superior.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1]
[b]Matrix[/b]--W00t! Heh...I never planned on watching this movie until my sister forced me to. Thank God for that. The plotline is amazing, and the action and themes used throughout the movie....just wow.
[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, I think the Matrix was an interesting, unique, and visually stunning film, but I think the whole 'following' was way overblown. I don't even think it would be in my top 50 list.

That's just my opinion though.

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]

Me being a comedic, intellectual, martial artist myself, that kinda curves my choices.

[B]10:[/B] Super Troopers- Gotta be the funniest cop movie ever made. Me and my dad saw it and laughed till we cried. Especially at the stoner part. "These snaschberries taste like snauschberries...."

[B]9:[/B] Finding Forrestor- My favorite intellectual film. It made me think threw out and it inspired me to begin writing. Also seeing Shaun Conery say "Yo Homey G." is alsways funny.

[B]8:[/B] Corky Ramano-This is a little known cult movie starring Chris Katan from SNL. This movie is hilarious. Especially when [spoiler]the police dog gets high off Coke. Hahaha![/spoiler] Rent it!

[B]7:[/B] The Matrix Trilogy- Just an unbeleivable infuence on me and my freinds. Had every one doing the Matrix dodge till this day!

[B]6:[/B] The Game of Death- not exactly the story, but the original fighting scenes (as seen in "A Warriors Journey: Bruce Lee") were enough to make my list.

[B]5:[/B] A Christman Story- God! This is the greatest christmas movie ever! Just hilarious in every way! My family watches it all day on christmas eve and changing the channel is FORBIDDEN!

[B]4:[/B] The One- My favorite movie by Jet Li. The special effects and everyting where just great! I especially liked the opening sequence.

[B]3:[/B] Dogma- Loki and Bardelby's scene's alone were funny in a very ironic way. And any movie with JAy and Silent Bob is automatically awsome.

[B]2:[/B] Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back- What did I just say. This is one of the funnies movies I have ever seen. And the DVD deleted scenes are funnier.

[B]1:[/B] Enter the Dragon- My favorite movie of all time. The best martial arts film of all time. The best action movie of all time. This movie and its star, Bruce Lee, single handedly got me into martial arts, which happens to be a big thing in my life. I love this movie, even though it was made in '74.

[B]Honorable Mention:[/B] Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Mallrats, Ultimate X, And 1 Mixtape Tour, American Pie 1&2, Ace Ventura 1&2, Lilo and Stitch, Black Hawk Down, Finding Nemo, The Hulk, Spiderman, Austin Powers Saga, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and Mystery Men.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I'm not in the best mood right now . So I won't say much, but her....................

1) SPIRTED AWAY: What can I say, I love anime. *Tehe*

2) PRINCESS MONONOKE: Same as no.1.

3)SANTA CLAUSE 2: Burnard(sp?). He's so hot!

4) POKEMON 2000: I love the music. It, touched me. *sobs*

5) SCARY MOVIE 1: Now that was funny!

6) SCARY MOVIE 2: Even better then 1!

7) SOUTH PARK BIGGER, LONGER, AND UNCUT: The funniest movie that was ever made!

8) JAWS: "We'er gona need a bigger boat............"

9) THE FACALTY: One name: Josh HEARTnet.

10) DEATH BECOMES HER: Funny move for anyone, but in away, for a lot more girls........Huh?!

Oooh... so hard to choose... Okay, this'll be kinda random:

[b]The Princess Bride[/b] This has to be one of the funniest movies of all time, and it's got a good plot w/ both romance and action.
[b]The Nightmare Before Christmas[/b] Great music, great movie. It takes such an awesome twist on the idea of holidays. It's a little morbid and freaky at times, but I love it!
[b]The Importance of Being Earnest[/b] Same as Princess Bride minus the action. The characters are incredibly funny. They're always so sure of themselves and everything they say. A lot of dry humor. This is the kind of stuff that get laughs out of me. (not Austin Powers...*gags*)
[b]The Lord of the Rings Trilogy[/b] Okay, so I'm adding the 3rd one before I've even seen it, but if the first two are any indication, this last one is gonna be awesome!!!
[b]The Great Mouse Detective[/b] I think this is honestly my fave Disney movie (disregarding Nightmare) of all time. Basil is one of the greatest characters I've ever seen.
[b]Anastasia[/b] Awesome music, awesome story, and pretty good animation. (The ghosts coming out of the walls to dance with her., the nightmare she has, etc.)
[b]Monty Python and The Holy Grail[/b] :laugh: Wow, I just watched this last night. It's such a great movie. "Help me, help me! I'm being repressed!" (see signature)
[b]The Scarlet Pimpernel[/b] Yeah, it's old and black and white, but it's a great movie. I don't even remember any of the actors names but the guy who plays Sir Percy is simply unforgettable. It's also one of my fave books of all time.
[b]The Matrix[/b] The original was incredible. 'nuff said
[b]The Ring[/b] *laughs at sister* I thought it was amazing. The fact that I could get through the movie and not be repulsed (I can't stand blood and gore) is unfathomable. I'm not very good w/ horror movies. (The Poltergeist freaked me out...) I was able to appreciate this one. (then again, I did watch it in broad daylight...) lol
An honorable mention goes to Good Burger. I really don't think it's a great movie, but I quote it so often it may as well be... "I don't remember what my dad looks like either, but at least I get to see him every day..."

Movies I don't like:
-nearly every horror movie
-Titanic (I don't understand the obsession. *gags*)
-The Mothman Prophesies (Did anyone ever find a point to that movie?)
-Out Cold (Disgusting...'nuff said)
-Austin Powers, all of them (see above)
-Westside Story (Maybe I just wasn't in a good mood when I saw this one, but the whole "dancing at people" thing didn't seem too intimidating to me. And I usually like musicals. This one just struck me as corny. Then again, I don't like Romeo and Juliet either.)
I could go on, but I'm tired... :sleep:
~art~

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]

These ones just had to make my list, I couldn't leave them out.

[B]11.:[/B] 8 Mile- Oh, just one of my favorites. Eminem acts great and I love every single on of the rap battles. And the DVD extras jsut rule all! [spoiler]I'll spit a racial slur, so sue me, but the black guy doesn't die in this movie...[/spoiler]

[B]12.:[/B] My Big Fat Greek Wedding- I love this movie because unfortunately, it actually represents the average greek family truthfully, 'cept for the windex thing, but the rest os all true. I am a greek if you havn't figured that out.

[B]13.:[/B] Me, Myself & Irene- another one of the best comedites ever. This is single handedly my favorite Jim Carey movie.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]