OtakuBoards

Whats the Big Deal With GW?

Zen

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1][B]

I would like to know something. Why do people like GW so much over the original Gundam sereis. Its not as action packed, less story driven, has nothing to do with the original Gundam's "war/human evolution" concept, and it often time seems boring. Atleast to me. What ever hapened to the purist gundam fans. The fans who like Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam 0080th, Gundam 008th MS Team, and Gundam 0083rd? Are there anyfans of these shows left? Please tell me.

[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo]I'm a fan of all those, of course I started out with Gundam Wing but I will admit there are many better series out there.

I think, if this makes any sense, the reason Gundam Wing was so popular was it was the most Americanized. *shrugs* Plus the animation was more up to date. Many kids I know that watch anime don't like something unless the art is "cool". They don't like old anime because theyt hink the art sucks. So they really odn't give it a chance. So that may be a reason why so many more people liked GW towards the rest.

I really have no clue *shrugs* another reason could be that simply it caught the publics eye first. It was thrown up on toonami/cartoon network so there were more people to see that one then Stardust Memory or any of the others.

*shrugs* Its a true mystery maybe just like the characters more? I'm with you though.....I'd really like to know the definite reason(s)[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][B]

But Gundam 0083rd Stardust Memories and 008th MS Team had great animation value! They were on FLCL level and they were both so crisp. And the only "lovable" characters in GW were Duo and Qautre.

The rest were kinda dull guys, on the level of talking robots in personality. But I guess thats what people like.

I would love to see some definite reason's myself. Fans, could you comment on this?

[/B][/SIZE]

I've seen all of the gundam series except the newest ones like SEED. And i have to say that yes, i like Gundam Wing more. I think I like it better than the others because there is more than one Gundam pilot to get into. I mean, with the first one, you only have Amuro, and there is essicentaly only one Gundam. But in Gundam Wing, you have really 6 different gundams: Wing Zero, Wing Gundam, Deathsythe, Heavyarms, Sandrock, and Natuku. And then you have 5 different characters, Heero, Duo, Trowa, Quarte, and Wufei. Each of these characters basically have their own storyline, even though they are intertwined in a very complicated way. And then you have bad guys people can actually sympathize with. Treise and Zechs. I mean, in all acutality they both really wanted peace in the end, they just had different ways of going about it.
Or maybe it was that the story made a little more sense. *shrugs* I mean, Amuro was able to sense things, which set him apart from the whole race. Maybe that's why no one could get into him. *shrugs* I don't know, maybe it's just cuz the G-Wing boys are all just so darn cute! ;)

It is really sad to see fans don't enjoy the great stories and characters anymore without useless flashy mechas and pretty characters. When looks become more important than substance, can we still expect any show with good content? A recent interview of Fukuda, the director of Gundam Seed, states his works have to be successful in the merchadise market. It is all business. They don't care what message they send, as long as the toys are selling.

Please explain to me how Gundam Wing has a better story than Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam or Victory Gundam? If Gundam Wing is so great, why are many former GW fans become fans of Gundam Seed now? Because of merchadise. Whenever a newer show is released, this group of fans become the fans of the latest show for the newer toys, prettier characters and better looking animation. They don't care about the story or the depth of animation because they are not reading into the story.

GW is a good story if the watchers don't want to understand the meaning. Unfortunately, it is what most people do nowaday. Does GW really have any deep meaning? Look and see. BTW, is the newtype power of Amuro makes him less believeable? If it is, Heero is even less believeable as he can suvive a big fall and fixes his own leg. So, it must be their looks. Amuro is an average looking character; on contrast, Heero looks more femine and cute. It doesn't matter how much character Amuro is going to offer, he cannot beat Heero on the look alone.

There are still people who love the older, better shows. They are not the kids who will proclaim Camille is the cutest or Judau rocks. They are they one who understand Gundam is a lot more than the cute looking characters and the beatifully drawn mechas.

i'll say it right out, Gundam Wing Sucks!

the reason i say this is becaues the characters are poorly made and have very unoringinal back storys which have all been done befor and then there were the Voice's, gack!

And on top of that! The Character Zechs is a complte rip off of Char! from Gundam 0079! they even had the never to give Zechs the same style hemlt an a Zeon uniform! Hello if there in another universe how the hell did he get a Zeon uniform i ask you!

My biggest Beef with Gundam Wing You Ask??

[SIZE=4][B]The GUNDAMS![/B] [/SIZE]

They never ever take damge, there like damn imortal, i mean in the good old days of UC, the gundams were cool looking and took damage, alot and thats what made them good

then there weapons are wayyyy to powerful i mean, come on a blaster gun that takes out whole armys in one shot? of a beam saber that cuts down a whole army in one swipe!, and the moves they did broke almost every law of phyics,

I think that Gundam Wing is the worse Gundam show since SD Gundam came out! Thats right i said it!!

[B]GUNDAM WING IS WORSE THAN SD GUNDAM[/B]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by duorocks17 [/i]
[B]I've seen all of the gundam series except the newest ones like SEED. And i have to say that yes, i like Gundam Wing more. I think I like it better than the others because there is more than one Gundam pilot to get into. I mean, with the first one, you only have Amuro, and there is essicentaly only one Gundam. But in Gundam Wing, you have really 6 different gundams: Wing Zero, Wing Gundam, Deathsythe, Heavyarms, Sandrock, and Natuku. And then you have 5 different characters, Heero, Duo, Trowa, Quarte, and Wufei. Each of these characters basically have their own storyline, even though they are intertwined in a very complicated way. And then you have bad guys people can actually sympathize with. Treise and Zechs. I mean, in all acutality they both really wanted peace in the end, they just had different ways of going about it.
Or maybe it was that the story made a little more sense. *shrugs* I mean, Amuro was able to sense things, which set him apart from the whole race. Maybe that's why no one could get into him. *shrugs* I don't know, maybe it's just cuz the G-Wing boys are all just so darn cute! ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE=1] Well, isn't that a great explanation. The reason that there is only one Gundam is because it is one of the first mobile suits in the first place. They wouldn't be able to start throwin' out these invincible Gundams. And thats the militairy realism that I love about MSG. It the fact that the gundams aren't invincible and the fact that they are deefeatable and the fact that they are rare that I like.

In the case of the Hero's, just as LB said, they are amazingly cliché and reused. Nothing special at all. Yes, Amuro couldn't get got (thats a tongue twister) because he was a newtype. Thats one of the major story points of MSG, the evolution of humanity and the newtypes. And thats what sets it apart from other mecha series.

Another thing that makes GW boring is its lack of MS. There's 5 MS outside of the Gundams and thats it. The Aeris, Leo, Cancer, those hover craft things, and the Doll's. But in MSG I counted over twenty types outside of the gundams, not to mention the vehicles that aren't MS. That also gives it a hint of realism. Each MS Team has a specialtist. Long Range, Marine, Artillery, everything. Where ist the Gundams from GW are all three in one. And thats just so un-realistic. Like, a soildeir asked how could Duo use a beam melee weapon underwater, and the series never even answered. Duo simply killed the guy and we never would know. Maybe if they gave an explanation, it would be more realistic, but noooo!

If the end reason is because there are more Gundams and cuter characters, than these people need some kind of reality check because THEIR NOT REAL! And if thats the point, then theres no reason fantasizing over them, and rather, should concentrate on the story.[/SIZE][/B]

• 1 month later...
I too started out with Gundam Wing as my very first Gundam series ever watched. Though now I hate it. There are far better Gundam series out there. I prefer Gundam X and Gundam 0080th MS Team the most. Gundam X and Ms team have far better storylines, animation, and action. Something Gundam Wing will never have.

[color=indigo][font=century][size=1]I liked GW moee than Mobile Suit Gundam, and I'll tell you why.

I'm not gouing to give you shallow reasons, like that the GW Gundams were cooler (they were). The main reason was that the plot for MG became so bloody repetative and anoying that I couldn't stand it any more.

War is bad. That was the whole point of the series, basically. War messes the warriors up. That point by itself wasn't so bad, but the way they went about it was. At some point, MSG became a daily game of "let's see how much crap we can shove on Amuro, because God knows he was'nt whiney enough".

The plot stagnated. By the end of the series, everyone was so hiney and meloncholy that it drove me nuts. I know that's supposed to be "reality", but it seemed that they were making no progress in terms of plot, not to mention that the episodes were getting predictable; all civilians introduced might as well have been Red Shirts from Star Trek.

GW had a large cast of characters, many of whom were very different in personality, to shove the horrors of war on. And most of them weren't so incredibly whiney.

08th MS Team did right what MSG did wrong. They kept their message to a short eight episodes, not a masochistic dedication to showing pain that lasted forever.[/color][/font][/size]

I like all of the series in which you had mentioned.
Truly I started out one day when nothin was on and Gundam 0083rd was on. The moment I saw the Zaku's I was hooked. I found that despite story line the action was cool. Personally I AM a Gw fan none to say the least but I still apperciate the other Gundam shows and what they had to offer. I even gave the ancestor shows props like Robotech. G Gundam was a little on the flop side for me but even so the Gundams had me hooked. I just find Gw more intriguing because of these warriors who are but young boys tyring to find who they are by fighting.