OtakuBoards

Anime Couples LEAST Likely To Last

JazzLady22

Well, I've been seeing a lot of 'Favorite Anime Couples' threads on these boards. But let's face it, it's much more fun to talk about couples you think were mismatched, and there are a lot. So which anime couples do you think would end in divorce court? Give me the show, the coupling, and a DETAILED reason why you think they wouldn't last (it can be an implied pairing or popular fanfiction pairing).

For example:

I think the Spike/Faye pairing in Cowboy Bebop is all wrong. It might be blasphemy to say so, but they wouldn't have anything to do but gripe at each other all day. Sure, they might have made a connection at the end, but couples should be able to talk about little things too. I haven't seen the two of them just talk casually together at any point in the series. They don't seem to like or hate each other, it's just plain indifference. Correct me if I'm wrong... I might just be missing something.

Go to it, kids! No spam, please.

Well, RahXephon contains quite a few twisted relationships, but I think that Haruka's (mostly) unrequited affection for Ayato definitely takes the cake. I'd feel more sympathy for her if she wasn't twelve years older than he....

It's understandable that Ayato would be attracted to her, but she's practically fixated on him. The whole situation generally makes me feel rather uncomfortable--it's not supposed to be reminiscent of pedophilia, but it is. And even if they did get together, he's a teenager. She's an adult with her own job, her own life, and much more experience and wisdom. They argue enough as it is; if Ayato and Haruka became romantically involved, they'd never have a moment of peace. Not to mention the fact that both of them would probably end up being social outcasts.

~Dagger~

Heero and Relena from Gundam Wing. She's infatuated, he's chronically uncommunicative, and both of them seem to need the security and stability of an intimate relationship itself more than they actually need each other. Whether or not the feelings are more than one-sided was never _really_ addressed in the show, and even if Relena has enough unrequieted adoration to share, I could certainly see her suffering from lack of response from Heero. Heero himself is far harder to analyze, but something about the rather unhappy state of his childhood and his general lack of self-worth seem to suggest a need for more than a marriage of convenience with an attentive trophy wife. (This is where Duo has the definate advantage over Relena-- he understands what Heero needs because his own needs are the same. Whether either one of them is going to do anything mutually beneficial about that remains to be seen. ;) ) As for Relena, I think it's high time for her to try stalking a new suicidal sociopath. Trowa, perhaps? (Maybe Quatre will share....?)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cahoots34 [/i]
[B]Heero himself is far harder to analyze, but something about the rather unhappy state of his childhood and his general lack of self-worth seem to suggest a need for more than a marriage of convenience with an attentive trophy wife. (This is where Duo has the definate advantage over Relena-- he understands what Heero needs because his own needs are the same. Whether either one of them is going to do anything mutually beneficial about that remains to be seen. ;) ) As for Relena, I think it's high time for her to try stalking a new suicidal sociopath. Trowa, perhaps? (Maybe Quatre will share....?) [/B][/QUOTE]
:laugh: :rotflmao: [COLOR=coral]Oh my god! That was funny.
I wish I had thought of this thread dammit!
I have to agree with Cahoots on the whole Hiiro/Relena thing. He'll shoot her eventually if they stay together. I can see the headlines now: [b]former gundam pilot assasinates his own wife for being annoying as all get out...more at 11:00[/b]
Even though the author and everyone who loves Usagi and Mamoru say that Usagi and Mamoru should be together I have to dissagree. What exactly [i]do[/i] they have in common? He's quite a bit older than her and their mentalities aren't matched evenly. And don't try to explain it away with the whole, they were past lovers (or the fact that Naoko herself made them a couple which of course is true) because who needs facts when you have fiction? :laughs: Who's to say that Tsukino Usagi and Chiba Mamoru aren't together simply because they were together in a past life and future dictates that they should be together? Hmm? Face it, they're just staying together because of that demon spawn called ChibiUsa a.k.a. Princess Small Lady Serenity.
Tenchi and Aeka is another one. She's so damn possesive and high strung I wouldn't be surprized if that one ended up the same as Hiiro/Relena.[/COLOR]

I'd say that while Tenchi and Ayeka would not work well as a couple, Tenchi and Ryoko would be worse.

Ryoko seems to constantly terrify Tenchi in both speech and action, and she, just like Ayeka, is incredibly posessive. Plus, of course, Ryoko's habit of throwing energy around when she's angry would make her mismatched with about any poor, unsuspecting bloke.

As for Tenchi, well...perhaps if you follow the Tenchi 'Muyo!', i.e. the first series, chain-of-events Sasami/Tsunami would be a better choice for him.

Heresy, Elrick, heresy! ^_~

Yeah, I'm a big Tenchi/Ryoko fan, in case you hadn't already guessed. Not because he's the most fantastic fictional character ever created, but because she likes him so much. I personally can't claim to understand why everyone from Mihoshi to Ayeka is completely captivated by that "poor, unsuspecting bloke."

I really dislike Ayeka's prudishness, and although her ladylike airs *might* suit Tenchi better than Ryoko's constant come-ons, I doubt that he would be able to tolerate her rabid jealousy and squeaky voice for very long. She's whiny, annoying, and can't take care of herself. In contrast, Tenchi's personality positively sparkles.

~Dagger~

I think tenchi and Ryoko would work together, that series is not done yet. I watched episode 14 and Ryoko's character seems to be developing a bit more again.

But I whole heartedly agree that Tenchi Ayeka would never work because she is so uptight that if you put a lump of coal up her behind, you would get a diamond in about a week.

• 3 weeks later...
OK, so this thread kind of died. But let me try and kick the horse one more time before we write it off as dead.

I also never like the implied Vash/Meryl pairing in Trigun. They never have real conversations, mostly just awkward silences. And whenever Vash is going through one of his depressed phases, she never knows what to say, and leaves all the comforting up to Millie or Wolfwood. I think Vash is better matched with Rem (no, she isn't his real mother), and Meryl is better matched with someone who doesn't require conversation as much as abuse. Hmmmm, maybe Legato?

And I happen to like Tenchi/Ryoko. Maybe I'm biased because Ryoko is my favorite character in the show. Meh. I never liked Tenchi/Ayeka, per se, because I don't think many guys would survive long with such an uptight girl.

[quote=Cahoots34]Heero and Relena from Gundam Wing. She's infatuated, he's chronically uncommunicative, and both of them seem to need the security and stability of an intimate relationship itself more than they actually need each other. Whether or not the feelings are more than one-sided was never _really_ addressed in the show, and even if Relena has enough unrequieted adoration to share, I could certainly see her suffering from lack of response from Heero. Heero himself is far harder to analyze, but something about the rather unhappy state of his childhood and his general lack of self-worth seem to suggest a need for more than a marriage of convenience with an attentive trophy wife. (This is where Duo has the definate advantage over Relena-- he understands what Heero needs because his own needs are the same. Whether either one of them is going to do anything mutually beneficial about that remains to be seen. ) As for Relena, I think it's high time for her to try stalking a new suicidal sociopath. Trowa, perhaps? (Maybe Quatre will share....?)

[/quote]

I SO agree with that. HeeroxRelena is just. . .*shudders.* No offense to the anti-yaoi people, but Heero and Duo are IMHO made for each other. Heero and Relena couldn't last without one killing the other eventually. :P

[quote name='JazzLady22']I also never like the implied Vash/Meryl pairing in Trigun. They never have real conversations, mostly just awkward silences. And whenever Vash is going through one of his depressed phases, she never knows what to say, and leaves all the comforting up to Millie or Wolfwood. I think Vash is better matched with Rem (no, she isn't his real mother), and Meryl is better matched with someone who doesn't require conversation as much as abuse. Hmmmm, maybe Legato?[/quote]

Indeed, although I think Legato's definitely gay (hey, cross-series pairing: Legato/Heero?), however, if his desire to be abused overcame his interest in the same gender, Meryl *might* be a good pairing with him.

I *definitely* agree with you about not liking VashxMeryl though. I honestly think the best pairing is AU (i.e. Rem [spoiler] survives[/spoiler]) RemxVash (of course I am too biased though, since I'm writing it.)

However, sticking with canon universe, I say the best pairing would be VashxMilly. I mean, Milly is seriously more like Rem than Meryl ever was, at least outside of episode 25, and Wolfwood [spoiler]died[/spoiler], so Milly would be alone. . .possibly carrying Wolfwood's child. . .and if nothing else, Vash would at least feel responsibility and pity for her and most likely stay with her. Also, Milly, while she did hit Vash once, seems to be generally more interested in protecting him and Meryl both.

Oddly enough, with Trigun ending the way it did, I think the most plausible relationships, in keeping with anime canon, would be as follows:

An odd love triangle where Milly and Vash are in some sort of a relationship, and where Meryl is wanting Vash, Milly, or both but is unable to express her feelings.

If Knives wasn't completely gay and is alive, the other possibility would be that Meryl and Knives and Vash and Milly pair off.

This is kind of hard to think of.., but my thoughts would be on Haruko and Naota. The reason is this:

[list=1]
[*]She's weird and has some kind of freaky, funny, and bizzare relationship (just saying) with Naota's father.
[*]Naota just has some problems. That's all I can come up with.
[/list=1]

When I saw the last episode of FLCL, it totally freaked me out, but it was good anyway.

I think Kagome and Inuyasha wouldn't really work. They can't really stay together, what with being from totally different worlds. And the whole cross-species thing gets icky too. Aside from that they aren't really that compatible. The whole 40+ age difference isn't great as well.

Miroku and Sango is a different story however....

I disagree with zdude255 about Miroku and Sango. It would be great if they got together, but Sango's likely to get suspicious, even if Miroku isn't cheating on her. But hey, you can still dream can't you? Another pairing I found rather incompatible is Spike and Julia, only because of the fact that they died :( Same reason for Nicolas and Millie in Trigun.

Hmmm...

On the FLCL subject, Haruko/Kamon wouldn't work either. In fact, Haruko/Amarao didn't work, and probably Hatuko/anyone wouldn't work. [SPOILER]This might have a lot to do with her being a ruthless space pirate who would think nothing of destroying whole worlds to get her grimy mits on Atmosk...Plus of course the fact that Kamon couldn't open N-O channels. Amarao could only open piffling little ones, so a Haruko/Naota pairing is most likely, at least until she finally manages to summon Atomsk properly and goes off with him to steal planets and have wild sex, or whatever it is she wants to do with him[/SPOILER]

Can I just ask a little question by the way? Why is it that whenever Fangirls see a bishonen character in [i]anything[/i] they immediately right him down as gay and start writing up atrocious yaoi fanfiction? :D Not that I have any real objections, I suppose we men are probably as bad with our Yuri...
(I swear if I ever see another Alucard/Anderson though...I mean come on, it's not even remotely likely...)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by KharBevNor [/i]
[B]Hmmm...

On the FLCL subject, Haruko/Kamon wouldn't work either. In fact, Haruko/Amarao didn't work, and probably Hatuko/anyone wouldn't work. [SPOILER]This might have a lot to do with her being a ruthless space pirate who would think nothing of destroying whole worlds to get her grimy mits on Atmosk...Plus of course the fact that Kamon couldn't open N-O channels. Amarao could only open piffling little ones, so a Haruko/Naota pairing is most likely, at least until she finally manages to summon Atomsk properly and goes off with him to steal planets and have wild sex, or whatever it is she wants to do with him[/SPOILER]

Can I just ask a little question by the way? Why is it that whenever Fangirls see a bishonen character in [i]anything[/i] they immediately right him down as gay and start writing up atrocious yaoi fanfiction? :D Not that I have any real objections, I suppose we men are probably as bad with our Yuri...
(I swear if I ever see another Alucard/Anderson though...I mean come on, it's not even remotely likely...) [/B][/QUOTE]

That's a good point. I mean, that's who Haruko was searching for in the first place. So, she made her own plan into getting what she seeks with Naoto. That's cold......and yet funny.

Now, about your question, I personally think that the reason why fangirls right down a bishonen as what you say is because of looks and behavior. Here's an example, in the series Pokemon, the character James acts like a noble person. Soon enough, he runs and jumps like a girl, sometimes cross-dresses into a girl, and talks and squeels in a high pitched voice. Once my mom watched, she only told me that he sounds and kind of acts gay. She's not asuming him as that; it's just that's how that character appears to be. I'm not sure if James is included as a bishonen, but that's an example.

And as for myself, I don't care what they look like and how they act. If that's how the bishonen characters are, then let them be. I'm a fangirl of all characters; they're cool to me no matter.

(Also, sorry if I'm off the subject of this thread.)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Stephanie Ayler [/i]
[B]That's a good point. I mean, that's who Haruko was searching for in the first place. So, she made her own plan into getting what she seeks with Naoto. That's cold......and yet funny.

Now, about your question, I personally think that the reason why fangirls right down a bishonen as what you say is because of looks and behavior. Here's an example, in the series Pokemon, the character James acts like a noble person. Soon enough, he runs and jumps like a girl, sometimes cross-dresses into a girl, and talks and squeels in a high pitched voice. Once my mom watched, she only told me that he sounds and kind of acts gay. She's not asuming him as that; it's just that's how that character appears to be. I'm not sure if James is included as a bishonen, but that's an example.

And as for myself, I don't care what they look like and how they act. If that's how the bishonen characters are, then let them be. I'm a fangirl of all characters; they're cool to me no matter.

(Also, sorry if I'm off the subject of this thread.) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah...It's just I'm really getting annoyed with these unlikely pairings...and it's made searching for pictures of the gundam wing pilots a [i]nightmare[/i].

Aren't Jesse and james voice-acted by the same person?

Woo...off-topic... :blush:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by KharBevNor [/i]
[B]Yeah...It's just I'm really getting annoyed with these unlikely pairings...and it's made searching for pictures of the gundam wing pilots a [i]nightmare[/i].

Aren't Jesse and james voice-acted by the same person?

Woo...off-topic... :blush: [/B][/QUOTE]

If your talking about the Heero/Duo pairing, then yes, it is a nightmare. I sure know that that couple won't most likely last; and besides, the Gundam Wing series already showed a relationship with Relena/ Heero. Maybe or maybe not; they might last.

Also no, Jessie and James voice-actors are different.
James= Eric Stuart
Jessie= Rachel Lillis (I think that's the right last name.) Question answered.:)

[SIZE=1][COLOR=deeppink]Ranma Saotome and Nabiki Tendo from Ranma 1/2. I think they're about the worst fit there is. Nabiki only goes for boys and boys only. He just has to be cute and have a little respect for her. Even if he did treat her like trash the rest of the time. And well, Ranma's not all the man he was born as.

Ranma isn't really all that into her himself. He only appreciates being around Akane and isn't into very girlish types like Nabiki. Plus, he can barely appreciate feminine things like himself so I really just don't see it.

I know that's a bad reason but I struggle sometimes when I think.[/COLOR][/SIZE]