OtakuBoards

Green Lantern Movie

Rei

Im not saying that there is any confirmation of one just thought that with all the comic book movies there could be one someday. I just wanted to see what actor everyone thinks is best for the role of the Green Lantern I think Denzel Washington would be a good choice or if they wanted someone younger Derek Luke.

So this movie is going to be based on the Justice Leage's Green Lantern and not the original one from the comics. I hated the way they tampered with the storylines of both Hawkman and Green Lantern for their convience. The only reason they changed it was to bring in a larger audience and be more diverse one which I can understand. They drew more girls to the show by having Hawkman get a sex change and they drew more African Americans by having Green Lantern Black. Green Lantern is still my favorite DC super hero other then Superman(you gotta love the big guy) and Flash. I would have liked it if they were more accurate and closer to the comics when making the movie but hey, I would still go an watch it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hells Fire [/i]
[B]They drew more girls to the show by having Hawkman get a sex change and they drew more African Americans by having Green Lantern Black.[/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I just wanted to point ou that Hawkgirl is a real character in the DC universe, and was not created specifically for the Justice League cartoon. Just in the same way that Robin is an individual, Hawkgirl is more than an accessory to Hawkman.

To be honest, I find "white" Green Lanterns to be pretty generic. I have too many bad memories from "Super Friends" where a Caucasian Green Lantern would defeat the Joker by creating a giant fly swatter or something.

-Shy[/size]

[color=red][size=1]And, for the record, Jon Stewart is an actual character too. He just didn't last that long.

And, actually, Hawkgirl sorta has a one up on Hawkman. I don't belive she has such a screwed up continuity ^_~

But I digress...

Hmm...GL movie. Long ago, there was word of a GL movie, and they talked to a big writer about it (though its been so long since then, I can't remember who the writer was). Fortunatly...he backed out. The deal was he could make it, but only if the entire selling point of the movie was it starred Eddie Murphy.

Personally, I have no preference to a color for my GL. A white Lantern is fairly traditional, but a black one can bring up interesting issues (discremination, etc.). No, I'm not the biggest fan of Jon Stewart, whether he be comic or cartoon, but he still deals with issues Hal and Kyle couldn't even dream about.

--Chris[/color][/size]

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to watch a movie about a comic book hero that has to deal with racial discrimination (in this case anyway). It can be an okay thing in comics for a short time or randomly, but when you're making a two hour, one-shot movie about a character that's been around as long as the Green Lantern has, I don't want to have to sit and listen to a bunch of PC drivel.

While I suppose some of the current Green Lantern's appeal comes from his race, I'd say almost all of it stems from the fact that he has just been given more human-esque depth than the Caucasian ones were. He's just a better developed character.

That said, they also have the ability to rely on the original Green Latern's daughter, Jade (Jenny-Lynn Hayden) as well as the current incarnation. There's a lot that could be played around with, I'd imagine.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shy [/i]
[B][size=1]To be honest, I find "white" Green Lanterns to be pretty generic. I have too many bad memories from "Super Friends" where a Caucasian Green Lantern would defeat the Joker by creating a giant fly swatter or something.
-Shy[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=violet]Completely off topic, but...I was watching and old episode of Batman and Robin and Batman defeated a giant fly with something called a Bat-flyswatter.
I almost forgot about it until I read this post. *dies from laughter*
*is reborn*I'm not a big Justice League person, infact, I'm not a big comic book person in general. I think Marvel is just trying to cash in on the same fame that X-men 1 and 2 brought them by coming out with more comic books turned movies.
As for race changes-in DareDevil Kingpin was originally a white man, but the casting director (or whomever) couldn't find a white guy who was intimidating enough to play the part.
So how's that for logic?[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]DC is responsible for the Green Lantern, not Marvel. I suppose it doesn't affect the point you're making though heh. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=violet]No, my point was that no matter what the author puts into the story, it can always be turned around, adjusted and rearranged to make a movie.
Either way I already admited I didn't know much about comics, for all I know, Kodansha LTD owns Justice League and Sundance TV makes the cartoon.
Still, I'm glad someone understood what I was trying to say.[/color]