OtakuBoards

Did Gokou Go To School?

Kent

Well...

I overheard a dbgt commercial and gokou said "am I gonna have to go back to school?"

Then I thought, wait a second, gokou was raised on screen in db, by his grandpa in the woods with no education at all. Then he spent the rest of his life just training, saving the world, and making babies.

So... what the hell were they thinking when they did the script to dbgt?

Or am I just a fool?

I'd say it was probably problems in translation. An example in Dragon Ball Z would have been when Frieza said something about a dodo (I have no idea what it is off the top of my head) The problem was Frieza had never been to Earth and thus couldn't have known what a dod was.

It seems the translators forget little things about the plot whilst translating.

I think it was more along the lines of commercializim. I mean, I'm sure a lot of people would like to see what would happen if Goku acutally went to school. (I'd think it would be funny) he'd be like the dummest kid in teh class, but could beat up everyone! he'd be the school bully! :)

If my memory serves me correctly, Goku did receive some basic education as part of the turtle hermit training routine.

(consults video library) Ah Ha! Here it is. In the episode "The turtle hermit way". Master Roshi trains the minds of his pupils as well as strengthening their bodies.

The attached picture contains a screenshot from their "classroom".

I't wasn't an error in translation, it was simply Funimation trying to make things funny. The script writers are given a lot of leeway.
Same thing for the dodo line.

• 4 weeks later...
[font=trebuchet MS][color=#518CBD]Goku with education, what's next Vegeta with a sense of moral duty, heh or Muten Roshi becoming a eunich. The line of Frieza's where he says that the Saiya-Jin are going to do the way of the Dodo is just a translation screw up from what I remember. There are other phrases like that one and I think they're in the Dragonball Bloopers section on TheOtaku.[/color][/font]