OtakuBoards

Is life really like a box of chocolates?

Ashley_the_blr

If life was like a box of chocolates, I'd be in heaven. CHOCOLATE! *insane giggle* But considering I'm Not in heaven, I conclude life is not like a box of chocolates.

I don't think life can be judged so easily. It's very complex. I highly recommend that No One take analagies like this one and judge their life by it (I say this because I have a friend that does). You know what Thought is? It's when you sit there and wonder things. Try sitting down and wondering about all the newonces (sp?) of life. A newonce is a little thing that people hardly notice, like when you're watching a movie for the millionth time and see something funny you never noticed before; something the director purposefully put in because he's clever, but not all newonces are good (Disney anyone!). Now notice all the newonces Around You. Life has billions of them! and you'll never be able to notice them all! God must've been pretty clever, huh? That's the beautiful thing about living...You Learn. There are simply too many newonces for chocolates to even come close in comparison.
As for the randomness factor (reach your hand in and who knows what'll come out). Life is not randomness. You make choices and you'd better darn well be prepaired to take the consequences. Forget randomness! If you don't have a slight clue as to what's coming, you need to think more.

At least that's my opinion. I might've been aiming a bunch of that at my friend...out of sheer frustraition.

If life was a box of chocolates, there wouldn't be world hunger.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure how long this thread can go on for, as it seems we've milked that philosiphy for all it's worth, and when people start getting into brand comparison it just starts to get silly.

Life is like... life. Simple as that. It's a journey that really can't be compared to anything else, with too many uknown things to be likened to a box of chocolates. Such as, death; you know what you're going to get when you finish a box of chocaltes, an empty box. But no one can really ever tell what exactly happens when you die.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Baron Samedi [/i]
[B]For everyone who has said that life isn't a box of chocolates. You're 100% correct. However, if you take two seconds to look at the thread title, then you will see that the question posed is "Is life really [u]like[/u] a box of chocolates". This means it is a [i]metaphor[/i] which is something used as an example to get the idea across.[/B][/QUOTE]

Awww, how cute.

Actually, a simile is drawing a connection between two dissimilar things by using the words "like" or "as". Example:

[i]The blow was like a sledgehammer.[/i]

A metaphor is a direct comparison between two dissimilar things. Example:

[i]The fist was a sledgehammer, delivering a powerful blow to my stomach.[/i]

Nice try though.

[color=#707875]You're right, wrist cutter, except that Baron's basic analysis is also pretty much correct, despite his specific wording. A metaphor is a figure of speech, where one thing is used to refer to another, to create/suggest a similarity between the two. And a simile suggests a direct comparison between two very different things. Also, a metaphor can mean that one thing is symbolic of another. So I think both are probably correct.

In any case, I think that the comparison between a box of chocolates and life is an appropriate one. At least, it's correct in the sense that you often don't know what the consequences of your actions will be down the road. But also, a lot of things come up at you that you didn't expect or weren't prepared for.

I must say though...a lot of the posts in this thread totally miss the point. Half of this thread seems to be discussing confectionary itself, rather than the randomness of life. Oh well.[/color]

[color=royalblue]Yah James! You have just said what was screaming in my head while reading this. What I thought would be a fun discussion has turned into an argument over what a simile is and how good chocolate is. No one seems to be getting it. This thread has gone way past it's intention and gone straight into pointless. If noone objects, I feel it should be deleted. I think I should now, but I don't want angry pm's either. If noone whines about this during the next day, I wish for this to be gone. Someone said at the beginning at this thread that it was a bit of a space waster. I now see this.

Enough of this. Final summary: Yes life can be like a box of chocolate, but it is a little silly to dwell on it too long (like what has been done now).[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ScirosDarkblade
Well, I think the real question is 'Is life like a box of Belgian chocolates or crap Hersheys?' I don't know, but Hersheys sucks. Anyway, I guess I can try to say something meaningful... life is not like a box of chocolates in the sense that (I'm assuming they all have different fillings inside and aren't all the same candy) with the chocolates every taste is fleeting, but with life some things last, well, a lifetime. Marriage, for example (for some people). Parenthood, certainly. And so forth. Well you get the point.

[color=royalblue]Life is what you make it out to be.
If that means you want your life to be one big mystery or surprise after another, and then sure life is like a box of chocolates. Never knowing what you bit into to until it is in your mouth, like one of those big boxes of chocolates. That is a pretty simple way of looking at life, which works for many. I just think that life is a little more cynical that a box of chocolate, not everything is all sweet and simple. [/color]

Interesting... All these different replies.

As far as the metaphor/simile of the 'box of chocolates' is considered, well, it is apt. It gives an idea of the randomness of the world, and that if each day was one of these, it could be any number in the infinite box of chocolate possibilities.