OtakuBoards

Big Fish

Semjaza

I've been looking forward to this movie for quite some time. Last Thursday the commercial claimed it would be out last Friday. Maybe it was in LA and New York, but it sure wasn't here in Chicago. We always get screwed with that.

Anyway, I wound up seeing it today instead. I guess you could say I'm a big Tim Burton fan. My three favorite films ever are all directed by him -- Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Edward Scissorhands and Nightmare Before Christmas. For whatever reason, though, I don't really go nuts to see his new films. I think this is the first thing he has done that I actually saw in the theater.

Anyway, without getting too heavily in it... you really should see it. It's definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year. It's also probably one of the most random films I've seen in quite some time.

At first you may somewhat wonder where the whole thing is going. I mean, it's obvious what the whole theme is from the start, but the things that are presented to you seem incredibly normal or simply bizarre... and there's little differentiation between the two. That doesn't mean it's hard to follow. It's not at all. It just gives this film a very unique quality.

The characters, even the slightly underdeveloped ones, are quite likable. The pacing is nice. The main characters -- the father and son -- are perfect. I have no complaints there at all.

The imagery is excellent. There's a lot of situations where the supernatural is present and it's pulled off as well as the completely real life scenes. There's some really great angles and wonderful use of color, like in most Burton movies. At the same time, this seems to tread somewhat new ground from him. It didn't really have anything in it that made me think instantly that "This is a Tim Burton film." It had his qualities, but it seemed as though he almost has evolved... for lack of a better word.

Anyway, I really loved it. The four girls I saw it with all liked it as well and I don't think anyone in the theater was really disappointed. There's a lot of funny moments and a lot of touching moments. All in all, I think it has a really nice, warm quality to it.

The ending was perfect too. I couldn't ask for a better one.

So yeah, go see this.

[size=1]I am sure you can tell I am looking forward to this as well, heh.

I first heard of it when my school newspaper staff received the promotional package for it, which is really cool in itself. It is this sealed, plastic case with clear gel inside that has bubbles blown into it. There is also a fishing line suspended in there with a ring tied to the end of it and some small pebbles covering the bottom, like in an aquarium. ^_^ One one side there is a logo for it, and there was a space where a informational booklet and disc could fit in. I took the time to read some of the booklet, and as soon as I found out it was a Tim Burton film, I was hooked and wanted to see it; for just myself, and to also review it for the newspaper.

Little did I know, it does not come out here until January 9th. -__-;

So I have visited the site and everything, and I am looking forward to it very much. ^_^

Also, in that informational booklet, I read that Tim Burton's next film is going to be [i]Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory[/i], and rumor has it that Johnny Depp has the lead. Supposedly it was supposed to be Jim Carrey, but Depp beat him out for it.[/size]

[color=tomato] [size=1] *grumbles profusely concerning [i] Chocolate Factory[/i] remakes*

Although, if it's Burton, It could be fun, but it still could kill one of the best, classic, screwy, movies of all time. Johnny Depp could be...interesting...as Willy Wonka, and I thank God repeatedly that Jim Carrey didn't get that part.

Big Fish looks AWESOME. I can't wait for it to come out here. I should start a countdown.
One of my friends had a countdown until [i] Lord of the Rings[/i] came out. I could be equally annoying with Big Fish. In fact, I am looking forward to this movie a heck of a lot more than [i] Lord of the Rings[/i]![/size] [/color]

I love Burton. He has this interesting way os using colors in his movies. I noticed it when I watched Edward Sciessorhands a couple years ago (pay attention to how bright the houses are, and how colorful the people are compared to Edward). Big Fish is going on my list of movies to see this winter. A definite must.

I'm looking forward to the remake of Willy Wonka/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. At first, I was like "oh no, not another remake of a classic film." Then I realized Tim Burton was directing. When you look deeply into the story (past the musical numbers, annoying little orange men, and the fact that everything was made out of sugary goodness), you realize that everything those kids went through was just disturbing. If Wonka hadn't promised Charlie that they were all back to normal in the end, I would've thought all of those kids were dead. Hell, I'm half-tempted to read the book, just to see if they all really did make it out of the factory alive.

Now imagine Tim Burton (the master of dark/noir film) getting ahold of a movie where a handful of kids almost die in a chocolate factory. Should be quite interesting. And delightfully eerie.

Yes, I am a little morbid.

I absolutely loved this movie. Of course, I had to fake seventeen to get in (and failed twice, stupid Ritz Theaters and their "rules"), but it was really, really, really fantastic. I loved every it of it, except for parts of the ending.

I loved the french wife. ^_^

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Manic [/i]
[B]I love Burton. He has this interesting way of using colors in his movies. I noticed it when I watched Edward Sciessorhands a couple years ago (pay attention to how bright the houses are, and how colorful the people are compared to Edward).[/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]I have to say I completely agree. (Actually, the colors creeped me out. So bizarrely unnatural.) Heh, I actually found an ad in a magazine that had a blurb about how Tim Burton's least favorite color is yellow. I got such a kick out of that.

[i]Like a superstitious painter afraid of offending anything on his palette, Tim Burton politely refrains from picking a favorite color. But ask him about his least favorite and you'll get one impassioned word: yellow. Yellow is an obvious color, says Burton. It simply does not fit in the stories he tells on film, stories of mysterious possibility where the line between fantasy and reality is deliberately blurred...[skipping, skipping...skipping]...But surely there must be another reason, a psychological torment that would create such a powerful emotional response to a mere color. The truth is that Burton hides a deep, dark personal secret about yellow---one that he has never confessed until now. It turns out that, like many teenagers in the 1970s, Mr. Burton made a somewhat dubious fashion choice when he picked out a tuxedo for the prom. Think polyester. Think polyester ruffles. Think bright yellow polyester ruffles. "It was horrible," Burton says. "I looked like a bee, and I acted like Carrie." [/i]

Heh, that's one of my favorite quotes.

But, yeah, I'm fully intending to see this movie as soon as I can. (Carr, want to go with me?) I'll help you with the countdown; we can be twice as annoying!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Carr [/i]
[B][color=tomato] [size=1]I thank God repeatedly that Jim Carrey didn't get that part.[/B][/QUOTE]

[i]Yes[/i].[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Carr [/i]
[B][color=tomato] [size=1] thank God[/size] [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[FONT=arial]the first thought that came into my head when reading about Depp getting Wonka instead of Carrey. I'd take most anybody besides Carrey. except for Eddie Murphy.

yay. I wish I lived in some major city so I could see it earlier too, lol. but one or two weeks won't kill me, I suppose. :toothy: my mom wants to see it too, which is odd, considering she normally doesn't like the kind of movies Tim Burton puts out. maybe she's coming into the light, lol.[/FONT]

I've never heard a thing about Carrey being considered as Wonka. Not once. In fact, the only people who could have been casted that would have been taken seriously back when the casting rumors were around were Depp and Marilyn Manson. In fact, Depp even went so far as to say he'd skip the part if Manson could have it. They're good friends.

I actually think Manson could have been fitting if they wanted to take a darker route, one Burton almost ensures as it is. Manson is a rather good actor (he's been in a few films and has a sizable part in the upcoming Party Monster). Depp is obviously the best choice in any circumstance though. The guy is almost a chameleon. He can play anything and look like nearly anyone.

In any case, a lot of Burton movies have a massive reliance on color. Like mentioned, Edward Scissorhands. It contrasted the difference between Edward's dark, drab and depressing home and the pastel, utopian, Leave It to Beaver quality in the town surrounding him. Burton has pointed this out in the past.

I think another thing they really rely on is timing. There are many instances where the people in the town in Edward Scissorhands did things in tandem. Such as pulling out of their driveways. This also comes up in Big Fish.

Big Fish is worth seeing even for non-Burton fans. It really transcends the style you expect from him.

Oh, Manson would be a wonderful Wonka.

I love the colors in big fish, but I absolutely adore the coloring of The Nightmare Before Christmas. Halloween town is black and white, and light sources are orange,whereas christmas town uses bright and rich colors, and the "real" world has all pastel colors for the houses, and they're all the same shape. I love it, though I wish we could've had a peek into the other worlds.

Is it true that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be entirely black and white? This is a rumor (RUMOR!) that I heard, but I've heard nothing saying that it's UNTRUE, so...

Guest TheFameof_Dying
Are you kidding??? Manson would have been a GREAT wonka! But I am confident thet depp will do the part right. I heard that it was to be scary, So I don't think of it as a remake f willy wonka and the chocolate factory, But an improvement. Honestly, I wish they would call it by its original damn name! It's "Charli and the chocolate factory" the word Wonka was never in the title of the original, book story!

• 3 weeks later...
[color=tomato] [size=1] I just went to see Big Fish yesterday. (Yes, with Sara. Our countdown was very short.) I thought it was funny. I loved the colors, and the all around style of the movie, but it did dissapoint me a bit.
It was over two hours long, but it really didn't need to be. Good long movies make you loose track of time; you don't notice that two hours have passed while you were watching. Big Fish was very drawn out and dragging in parts.
It was an awesome story, and the concept, colors, and characters were outstanding, an all around good movie. but just kind of slow.[/size] [/color]

[size=1]I saw it last week, and was really looking forward to seeing it. I have to say that it wasn't what I expected it to be, but I still thought it was a great movie. I thought it was so funny and I really liked how it... *thinks* Showed life in different ways. Like, when you meet the person your going to Merry, time stops. But they forget to tell you that it speeds up to catch up with what has happened.

I thought it was great, it did drag in some parts, but it was still great. [/size]

I've seen Big Fish twice now, and it hit me just as much the second time as it did the first.
I thought it was just so powerful in portraying this wonderful character, and all of his adventures were so amusing and entertaining!
I really enjoyed it, I thought it was one of those movies that makes you feel good about going to the movies, like you enjoyed yourself and had an intriguinng and exciting 2 hours.