OtakuBoards

Witch Hunter Robin

OtakuSennen

I really like the film-noir feeling of this series. The characters are so serious about their jobs at all times. The artwork and animation are so dark and clean. It really gives you the feeling that the hunters are organized and know exactly what they're doing-- even if they don't. Robin and Amon especially give off that kind of vibe. They could be in the greatest danger, and have messed up badly, but they're still gonna have that overly calm badass attitude. Robin hasn't used her fire powers correctly once, but she goes into a fight with her hands in her pockets as if the situation won't be a challenge for her. You know that's not what she's thinking, though. I mean, what's the point in taking your hands out of your pockets if all you're going to do is think of making fire the whole time?

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the series. Perhaps I'll pick up the DVDs in a few months. I want to wait until the rest of the volumes come out, as well as see the whole series on Adult Swim first.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Loverofallanime][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]What's it about??[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Welcome to the OtakuBoards! First of all, I'd just like to ask that you put a little more thoughts and efforts into your future posts and make sure you read the rules, especially the ones on post quality. Most of the time, posts like this are deleted.

Also, the graphic in your signitature is MUCH too large. I think the dimensions for banners are 500x100. Hope this helps!

Thank you. *QA*[/color][/size]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Witch Hunter Robin is so cool! It and GTO are all I keep talking about! I think Amon is hot. Robin's really cool. But you know, have you noticed that Hellsing and Witch Hunter Robin are a like, in the irony sense. In WHR, Robin is a craft using witch who joins STNJ, a witch hunting organization, and in Hellsing, Alucard is a Vampire who is on a Vampire Hunting team. I found that amusing!:cross: [/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]P.s I also don't trust that guy at the cafe. Something's telling me that he's evil.:shifty: [/color][/font][/b]

[font=Times New Roman][quote name='Manic]I really like the film-noir feeling of this series. The characters are so serious about their jobs at all times. [. . . '] Robin hasn't used her fire powers correctly once, but she goes into a fight with her hands in her pockets as if the situation won't be a challenge for her.[/quote][/font]

[font=Times New Roman]I do agree on the first part, Robin is fairly serious about her job, but I think Episode 4 really showed that Robin really wants to make friends with her team-mates (I mean, playing hooky while she and Miho are supposed to be investigating a case? Tsk, tsk, bad Robin!), and she desires for the company and approval of her team-mates (esp. Amon) more than she lets on. She seems to be getting along with Michael okay, though.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]And actually, in Ep. 4, Robin finally manages to weild her flames correctly. Mostly because of the glasses. It explains on the official site ( [/font][url="http://www.witchhunteronline.com/"][font=Times New Roman]http://www.witchhunteronline.com[/font][/url][font=Times New Roman] ) that Robin's vision dims whenever she uses her fire, so the glasses help correct her vision. Plus, I think she just has bad eyes. ¬¬;; But if I was her, I wouldn't want to wear glasses either. (I've worn glasses since I was bitty, so I'm used to it though.) And I'm assuming she uses the glasses faithfully from now on.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]Ah, I love Robin oh so much. Pretty much I love her hair and just her look. So incredibly wonderful . . . @_@;; *drools*[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]Ah, can't wait until Tuesday! Then I get to see Monday's episode of WHR. Mmm, want more WHR. I'll probably go surfing the internet to go find pictures sometime. There's a couple good ones of Robin that I want to find, and use . . .[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]--Sere[/font]

Guest pocky amenbou
[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]um, hi everyone. n.n; i was wandering if anyone could fill me in on what's happening on Witch Hunter Robin! I only saw the second episode because I get so feckin' tired. x-X; so, if anyone can tell me, i would appreciate it bundles! dankah dankah! (^^)v[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]I merged your topic with the official Witch Hunter Robin thread. Welcome to OtakuBoards, and happy posting. ^_^

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

Unfortunately, I've missed an episode or two myself, so I'll let someone else tell you what happened. Just bear in mind that Witch Hunter Robin is (so far) a pretty episodic show; its case-by-case beginning brings to mind Big O, Cowboy Bebop and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Until WHR's plot really starts to thicken, you shouldn't worry about occasionally forgetting to tape it. Besides, that's what DVDs are for. ^_~

After watching most of last week's episodes, I came to the realization that Witch Hunter Robin isn't--despite AS's attempts to paint it as such--an action-packed show. Its pacing is deliberate, not rushed, and it focuses more on the witches' mentality than on their supernatural powers. I'm very pleased by the fact that WHR does not revolve around a black-and-white conflict of right (STNJ) and wrong (the renegade witches). Instead, the series has already introduced some shades of gray, particularly in the episode where Robin first uses her glasses.

But this also worries me. I'm afraid that WHR is too sophisticated a show to be successful on Adult Swim. Bear in mind, however, that I was also concerned about Fooly Cooly, and (as you might be able to guess) it completely outdid my expectations. Do you think that Witch Hunter Robin will continue to earn satisfactory ratings?

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]Unfortunately, I've missed an episode or two myself, so I'll let someone else tell you what happened. Just bear in mind that Witch Hunter Robin is (so far) a pretty episodic show; its case-by-case beginning brings to mind Big O, Cowboy Bebop and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Until WHR's plot really starts to thicken, you shouldn't worry about occasionally forgetting to tape it. Besides, that's what DVDs are for. ^_~

After watching most of last week's episodes, I came to the realization that Witch Hunter Robin isn't--despite AS's attempts to paint it as such--an action-packed show. Its pacing is deliberate, not rushed, and it focuses more on the witches' mentality than on their supernatural powers. I'm very pleased by the fact that WHR does not revolve around a black-and-white conflict of right (STNJ) and wrong (the renegade witches). Instead, the series has already introduced some shades of gray, particularly in the episode where Robin first uses her glasses.

But this also worries me. I'm afraid that WHR is too sophisticated a show to be successful on Adult Swim. Bear in mind, however, that I was also concerned about Fooly Cooly, and (as you might be able to guess) it completely outdid my expectations. Do you think that Witch Hunter Robin will continue to earn satisfactory ratings?

~Dagger~[/QUOTE][b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]I think that WHR will get good ratings because it is so epic. For once, Adult Swim had played a show that has more of a Gothic theme to it than comedy, such as Futurama and Furi Kuri. I think that maybe more people will watch Adult Swim now because WHR has been advertised and spoiled for months now, and maybe some people just like dark tones more than comedy. I, on the other hand, like comedy more than Goth, but WHR has attracted me to the new world of darkness, and I'm willing to give that particular Genre a chance.[/color][/font][/b]

You've raised an excellent point, Shadow Wolf. I think that Adult Swim is trying to move away from "kiddie" shows like Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho and even Inuyasha (if you're a fan of those series, please don't be offended; the general consensus is that they tend to attract younger audiences). Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, Gundam SEED, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are all mature, [i]adult[/i] anime. By airing them, AS must be planning to project a more sophisticated image, and thereby live up to its name.

Hopefully Witch Hunter Robin will entice AS fans to seek out darker, non-televised shows, such as Boogiepop Phantom, Gunslinger Girl, Narutaru, and Serial Experiments Lain--although those are obviously more extreme examples of the genre.

~Dagger~

Well I posted this question in the cn line-up thread, but nothing... so I take it to the thread for the subject. :D

What I was wondering about was the powers of amon (sp?) and the rookie. (don't know his name)

Could anyone tell me whats up with these two?

Thanks.

btw, whr would be totally awesome if it wasn't for the artsy coffee shop theme. :p

[FONT=Comic Sans MS[COLOR=Black]]In response to your question, yes worth shelling out the bucks(if you like this type of anime)
What I like how even after coming over from the nunnery in Itlay, she still enjoys her coffee(cappachineo?). The series is a good mix of noir, goth, and growth.
Kinda of like how Robin did not take to haveing glasses right away.
I just got done with the 3rd disk and looking for the 4th.

Bona na Croin,
Bosn[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Shadow Wolf']I am in favor of Robin and Amon shipping. (relationship, to those of you who don't know) For some reason, I think there's something going on between those two...[/quote]
[font=Times New Roman]. . . Amon's like, 23! O_o;; And since Robin's only 15 . . . *shudders* I mean, I'd be all like, whoo, look at Amon, the hot sexy man-beast, and Robin, the just plain sexy if Amon was a little younger and Robin was a little older, but right now . . . geesh. Let's not go there, shall we?[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]I think there exists more of a father-daughter relationship between them. After all, Robin is Amon's charge, and is probably the youngest hunter the STN has had to date. Also, something is going on inbetween Toko (is that her name? It's Robin's suite-mate . . . ) and Amon, and perhaps Robin is seen as their little chicklet.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]What I think I like best about Witch Hunter Robin is the fact that the STN-J doesn't win all of their cases. I mean, people die, witches sometimes get away, witches sometimes die on the case-members, and sometimes the people on the team get hurt in the process. They don't always get the case solved and finish the case with a genki group-shot.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]The show does an excellent job of delving into -- and showing -- humanity. Through the different levels of society they nose into, and even through the personalities and ideals of the witches, and the hunters themselves. As Dagger said, there's more gray than plain black and white. While some witches may have the powers, they aren't necessarily evil, or using their powers for their advantage only. [spoiler]I'm referring to the doctor who could control life or death, and used his power to help young patients that had heart troubles.[/spoiler] And there are some witches who play the part: evil, evil, and more evil, while throwing the hunters off their tracks. [spoiler]Now I'm referring to the small child (Mamoru) who could control metal, and killed two people, but thought he could get out of the mess by being the small, innocent child he looked like.[/spoiler] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman]If there's one thing that's really grated against my nerves though, is that all the characters have managed to get on my nerves one time or another. Times where I just felt like smacking them and saying, "Shut up already, grr!" And poor Haruto. He's the character who's gotten beaten up the most so far. He gets used as a witch punching-bag so much. But then again, the way he treated Robin in the beginning, I don't really feel sorry for him.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]However, I do feel sorry for Michael. He never says how long he's been indentured to ZaiZen, but it's probably been a while. And I think he really wants to leave the building, to go outside and just leave. Hell, I would. I'd get cabin fever within 2 weeks. ¬¬;;[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]Ah well, I think I've rambled enough.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]PS -- Bosn, Robin drinks espresso, and apparently drinks a lot of it. It's a wonder she hasn't died of heart failure yet. O_o;;[/font]

I came out with this on my first post in this thread... (I think :D )
I haven't seen whr outside of cn.

With that in mind, I asked a question earlier.
[b]What are amon & the rookie's powers ?[/B] (Im not reffering to robin as the rookie... I mean the young male field agent)

I'm guessing there aren't many people here who have watched beyond what cn has aired ?

There's nothing wrong with that, not at all. Heck, you at the quality review before mine which included spoiler taged examples of the show's different qualities. :D

Anyway, if you guys know what I'm looking for, thanks.
If not, I guess we will all learn in time, right? ;)
btw, I also heard that whr is a single season show, is that true?

[font=Times New Roman][QUOTE=Kent]I came out with this on my first post in this thread... (I think )[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]I haven't seen whr outside of cn.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]With that in mind, I asked a question earlier.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman][b]What are amon & the rookie's powers ?[/b] (Im not reffering to robin as the rookie... I mean the young male field agent)[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]I'm guessing there aren't many people here who have watched beyond what cn has aired ?[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]There's nothing wrong with that, not at all. Heck, you at the quality review before mine which included spoiler taged examples of the show's different qualities. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman]Anyway, if you guys know what I'm looking for, thanks.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]If not, I guess we will all learn in time, right? [/font]
[font=Times New Roman]btw, I also heard that whr is a single season show, is that true?[/QUOTE][/font]

[font=Times New Roman]I haven't seen Witch Hunter Robin outside of Adult Swim either, to be honest. I would have bought the DVDs a long time ago, but the only place I can get them has them priced SO FREAKING EXPENSIVELY, and I am without a job until the summer. T_T;; But once I have a steady pay coming in (and my driver's liscense, bah!), I'm planning on buying the DVDs. Muah.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]According to Witch Hunter Robin's official site, Amon's powers are unknown (as is his last name, hmm.), which would mean that he does have powers, and he is a craft-user, but he either does not use them, or he does not know he has them.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]The rookie is [b]Haruto Sakaki[/b]. He, like Yurika Dojima (the blonde, snobby one), has no powers. I think it's still to be determined the reason he joined the STN-J.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]I think that Witch Hunter Robin will be a one-season show; it runs for only 26 episodes. (For some, that may seem long, but I'm used to shows that run for 100+ episodes. =/) And it aired in Japan in 2002, so I'm pleased that Adult Swim is showing one of the newer animes. ^_^[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]I think that's all you needed to know, was it?[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]And oh, speaking of shipping (which was mentioned in my last post), I'm kinda leaning toward a RobinxMichael ship. Because they're the closest in age, and Michael seems to get along with Robin better than the others. He's a little more understanding of what it's like, and he seems more open than the rest of 'em. (FYI -- Michael is 16.)[/font]

[font=comic sans ms][color=dimgrey]I just assumed that only karasuma(The psychic) had craft powers other then robin ofcourse. It would be interesting to see what/if amons powers manifest themself later in the series.

And I agree with Sere. Id say her and michael would be a good match. They seem to get along pretty well and she kept bringing him food which was sweet.

I really like that this series is very subtle so far and isnt as mindlessly action packed as I was afraid it would be. I hope that continues. :cool: [/font][/color]

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by Kent
btw, whr would be totally awesome if it wasn't for the artsy coffee shop theme[/QUOTE]
first i would like to say that i think that WHR is great and while i don't know how many episodes there are i plan to watch all the ones that they air on AS. i think the main reason that i like it is because
1) the music: it gives you a sense of calmness at times but it can also let you know that something is about to happen.
2)the action scenes: while it does not show alot of violence it always seems to give you enough to bring you back to see what will happen next.

and in reference to the quote i think the artsy coffee shop is needed as a source of information as it was proven in one episode.(would add more to this thought but not sure how to use the blackout thing)

so i hope that they keep this show on the air since it is very hard for me to find good cartoons

Yea it just seems im getting very lazy and not really posting on this site as much, but I just wanted to add something in real quick. Like everyone else has been hearing, it does pick up a lot in the 3rd DVD (starting on the 11th episode). It basically has a really good plot twist and until the remaining episodes come out I can't really say anything else. I just wanted to state this since the same thing kind of happen with Noir in that many found it to be very boring with useless action, but once Chloe stepped in it was a pretty good anime. So if anyone didn't like the series so far it gets really interesting later on in the series.

Please disregard my earlier comments about Witch Hunter Robin's dub. Shortly after the first episode, it turns into a thing of astonishing subtlety and delicacy, with some of the best English voice acting I've ever heard. Crispin Freeman has never sounded better, and Kari Wahlgren proves that she can continue to out-do the majority of Japanese VAs. In Furi Kuri, she successfully captured Haruko's insane personality--quite an impressive feat. In Witch Hunter Robin, her voice undergoes a total transformation; I have incredible difficulty convincing myself that this is the same person who played Haruhara Haruko (as well as Lavie in Last Exile).

*strolls off to eat her words*

Anyway, WHR is really starting to grow on me. I like it for many of the same reasons that I love Big O (another wonderful Bandai series), and I'm eagerly anticipating the upcoming plot twist.

~Dagger~

I've been a little unhappy with the show lately.

Action has declined and even some fan-service showed up yesterday when the girls got jobs in coffee shop. (not that I've got a problem with that.) ;) :laugh:

It should be noted that the story did make developments on the charactor interaction side. We even saw amon do the easiest breakup ever between couples. So I was pleased with that, but still unhappy in the overall.

The rest of the show's episodes better take full advantage of amon's unknown powers. I mean, talk about a trump card, any episode could turn into a perfect show thanks to an amazing action sequence (that I know they can do) in combo with some great story work. (thanks to a unique subject... that being the whole "hunting witches thing" )

So yeah, I just hope things get better. But I also hope that the relationship issues continue to develop as well. :D

Guest eisenschmerz
Witch Hunter Robin isn't all that great. I found myself watching it awhile ago in San Diego, on Cartoon Network's ADULT SWIM...

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer not to make it so far fetched as a series. I would've gotten into it if there were logic behind the series...

The concept is nice, and the anime is great, but the written stories just do not appeal...

TAG!! VAUGHN!!

[font=Times New Roman][quote name='eisenschmerz']Call me old fashioned, but I prefer not to make it so far fetched as a series. I would've gotten into it if there were logic behind the series...[/quote][/font]

[font=Times New Roman]I really am sorry, but I'm trying to figure out where Witch Hunter Robin lacks the sense of "logic". I mean, yes, so many things don't make sense yet, but, like in any other slower-moving series, there is a larger backstory that we have yet to find out, figure out, and understand.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]I would really appreciate if you could pull up some examples of where you think Witch Hunter Robin lacks "logic". It makes the job much easier for a lot of people when you have something tangible to go off of, instead of just "it lacks logic". Because for me, having read a slightly-in-depth article in the Animerica magazine, and then having access to the official site, I have a little bit of a larger grasp of all of the back story.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]Far-fetched? How so? Because I think that a group of modern-day witch hunters in Japan isn't as implausible as giant flying robots in space.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]And I agree with you, Kent. I liked the part where Yuri and Robin got to work at Harry's. I think Robin looks very sexy in that shirt. Mmm, love the shirt.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]The thing that I think I find very interesting is the fact that the STN-J (and the STN in general) hunt witches, but their own employees use the same powers as the witches they hunt do. Except they sugar-coat their employees' powers so that they're "extra abilities". If they didn't work for the STN(-J), would they have been labeled as witches and hunted? O_o;;[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]I really do like though, as the series goes on, the way that the others are finally getting to know Robin and accept her as a part of the group. They're most certainly less hostile toward her now. And that's good. Because while Robin can be very annoying at times, she's a good girl, and I think she really wants to help. But I think she helps more out of a sense of duty, than out of actually wanting to help.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]After all, she's only 15. I sure as heck wasn't thinking about running all over Japan hunting witches with my awesome fire powers when I was 15. (Haha, I wish. It would so so awesome to be able to set things on fire . . . mmm, fire.)[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]But we're finally starting to get a personality pulled out of Robin, instead of a robot that has been trained to blandly follow orders.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]Although, you have to wonder: what's the jewel that Robin wears for? I mean, the ending sequence (I don't know if that's the Japanese ending or just the Adult Swim American ending) concentrates primarily on the stone and it's holder, showing it twisting and untwisting at the side of the screen, and then burning up and disappearing in the center of the screen at the very end. And while most episodes show her wearing it, I've noticed one or two episodes where she'll be missing the pendant necklace.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]It does appear special, though.[/font]

Allow me to reiterate the fact that this show freaking [i]rocks[/i]. Episode 12, "Precious Illusions," delivered the promised plot twist in a dramatic and completely unexpected fashion. I would never have seen it coming, and although the turn of events initially strained my credulity, I later remembered that I was watching a show about a fifteen-year-old fighting witches with fire....

Before I comment on the other aspects of episode 12, I'd like to talk about the potential Robin/Amon relationship. While there have been some pretty strong (well, at least in terms of anime) hints for both Robin/Amon and Robin/Michael, the past week's episodes basically made up my mind. It's been clear from the beginning that Robin is romantically interested in Amon, or at least intrigued by his endless brooding. Precious Illusions both reaffirmed this and took it one step further, intimating that [spoiler]Amon is the person whose betrayal would hurt her most deeply.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]Allow me to reiterate the fact that this show freaking [i]rocks[/i]. Episode 12, "Precious Illusions," delivered the promised plot twist in a dramatic and completely unexpected fashion. I would never have seen it coming, and although the turn of events initially strained my credulity, I later remembered that I was watching a show about a fifteen-year-old fighting witches with fire....

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
Haha i knew dagger would have enjoyed this episode. However it gets even better on episode 14 so be prepared to see something even maybe a little bit more twisted. Once that episode is over ill post my comments about the series so far and then probably another one at the end of the series.

And the relationship between Amon and Robin is still pretty damn confusing for me. I just dont know what to suspect from those two yet.

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]Maybe I'm wrong about Amon and Robin, but I really don't think so. Just recently on one episode this week on Adult Swim, (hmm, can't remember the name) didn't Amon break up with Toko? And what about that question she was asking him in the car, wish I knew what she asked him... Does anyone know? Also, I read somewhere that WHR only has 26 episodes, is this true? I hope not...[/b][/color][/font]

[quote name='Shadow Wolf][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]Maybe I'm wrong about Amon and Robin, but I really don't think so. Also, I read somewhere that WHR only has 26 episodes, is this true? I hope not...[/b][/color'][/font][/quote]

I think you're absolutely right about Amon and Robin. ^_~

Yes, Witch Hunter Robin consists of exactly twenty-six episodes. What's wrong with that? I always find myself growing impatient when people complain about series being "short"--it's endless shows like Inuyasha and One Piece that are the true exceptions to the norm. Most (good) anime is somewhere between six and fifty episodes long. In fact, that's a rather generous assessment; the series which receive the vast majority of critical acclaim (such as Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion) are no lengthier than Witch Hunter Robin.

I can definitely understand not wanting the show to wrap up, but all good things must come to an end. Watching a well-executed and timely conclusion is much more enjoyable than having to witness a formerly excellent series creak slowly and painfully to a halt.

~Dagger~