OtakuBoards

Error

Semjaza

So this thread is about Error. They're putting out an EP this month. I've been keeping up on them for a few months, although news has been very slim. I've mostly bothered because of who is involved.

[list]
[*][B]Atticus Ross[/B] - One of the key members of a very cool industrial-ish band known as 12 Rounds. They're on nothing records for those who care to try them out. Atticus has also done many remixes for very popular bands and has involvement with Nine Inch Nails's next LP as well as Trent Reznor's on-again/off-again "Tapeworm" project.

[*][B]Leopold Ross[/B] - Atticus's brother. Was in a very cool band whose name I always forget. Of course, they didn't make it anywhere commercially. Also known for his remixes.

[*][B]Brett Gurewitz[/B] - One of the founders of Bad Religion. I'm under the impression that he's mostly just the producer and driving force behind getting Error out to the public. Obviously his ownership of Epitaph Records helps since they're the label putting out Error's stuff heh.

[*][B]Gregg Puciato[/B] - Lead singer for the Dillenger Escape Plan. According to Atticus he won't be the lead singer on future material since he already has his own band. So he's basically just on for this EP, which is a shame. He does a nice job.
[/list]

[center][img]http://www.wrappedinplastic.net/images/stuff/errorep.jpg[/img][/center]

So it comes out on the 24th of this month (a very awesome day because the new Scarling comes out that day too... woo!). In any case, they have let people stream their entire 5 song EP off of a small Flash site that was put up recently. It's not what I expected, despite the involvement of the Ross brothers. Mostly because it's from Epitaph and you don't expect this at all.

They're calling it the next level of hardcore. In some ways, I guess it could be considered that.The vocals are definitely something I'd expect from a band of that type. Lots of screaming and anger and aggression. However, the actual music is not. It's more or less industrial. It's really brutal stuff. It's a messed up fusion of punk and industrial... and while other bands have attempted this sort of sound before, Error just somehow puts it in another light and give it a new twist.

Whatever you want to call it, I love it. This band is definitely not for everyone. I don't expect many positive comments. However, I think they will garner some sort of response. They're not a group you can just ignore once you've heard them. I don't think people can have an indifferent opinion. I think people will either enjoy it or just hate it.

Anyway, you can stream the music by following this link [URL=http://www.epitaph.com/goodies/microsite.php?url=http://media.epitaph.com/_tmp/microsites/error/elements.swf&id=281][U]HERE[/U][/URL]. It requires Flash. I'd play it straight through, but I feel "Jack the Ripper" and "Burn in Hell" are the best tracks.

Anyway, if you do like it... there is plans for a full length LP to follow by the Summer. I hope it works out.

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=slategray]I honestly don't know much about Industrial or even what it sounds like and I don't know much of anything about underground bands (I didn't even know about Modest Mouse who is signed with Epic until my friend Taso told me about them, much less Deviates, who I recommend :p). [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#708090]Anyway, I'll check out their music, but I have to head off to school right now. [/color][/size][/font]

[color=crimson][size=1]I just sat down a few minutes ago and listened to the whole EP through stream. First thought that flowed through my mind as I listened was basically "huh?". This is an oddly strange piece of music. Then it just suddenly sunk into my head how awesome these guys are together. Really, I'm impressed by the sound in general and with the screaming it just adds everything I'd want from an Idustrial-ish, punkish band. I don't even listen to punk but in all seriousness this is some good stuff. It's almost in a genre on it's own. I'm actually going to compare them to something like maybe Mayhem and Burzum (Two old bands, that were considered the founders of black metal )But there vocals in some SMALL ways sounded like this. Though I'm sure they weren?t influenced by either of these bands. Anyways for similarities that?s all I can really think of at this present time.

Heh I don't know what else to really say until they release an LP of some sort.[/color][/size]

I think my first time through, I didn't really know what to think about it either. It's kind of incoherant on some levels and requires a couple listens at the least. At some point it kind of just all fell into place and just worked for me. At first it just seems like straight out noise and chaos, but you begin to sort it out and understand just how layered it all really is.

I'm pretty damn impressed by what this has accomplished, which takes a lot lately heh.

Maybe I should listen to it again, i listened once and was all set to bash it. Whereas I used to be a big fan of industrial music, I don't really listen to any of those bands now. Error definitely sounded different that anything else coming out nowadays, but I wasn't really impressed. I didn't really like the vocals and the music annoyed me a little while I was working at my computer. I guess those aren't the best criticisms, but the music was hard to get a good grasp on. I really didn't like some of the bands that are my favorites now the first listen, so its good logic to listen again.

I usually avoid bands with vocals like these, mostly because it's just grating usually. I prefer something a bit more smooth, I guess you can say... but I also like it when the vocalist fits in with what the band is trying to do. Gregg and his angry screaming almost mimics the anger and noise of the music.

Musically it's definitely not for everyone. It reminds me of Ministry's harder stuff in some ways, but it goes in another direction. I think after a few listens the beat and stuff start to make a bit more sense... but I suppose some people will never really get into it.