OtakuBoards

=Final Fantasy Legends & Legacies: Crusaders of Crescence=

Sandy

OOC: Cyriel, I'm going to let it slip this time, but in the future PLEASE WRITE FROM YOUR OWN CHARACTER'S POINT OF VIEW! You are Serisay, and you should write what [i]she[/i] sees, experiences, and how she fights. Otherwise, it is totally alright that she ran into the rest of the party at the sewers.

Also notice that both Gale and Aster leveled up in their previous battle to level 6. I will post all characters' statistics soon, so there won't be any further mix ups.

Do continue! :D

EDIT: Here're the statistics to all of the 9 main characters AND Wedge and Beatricia. I will update this frequently, as I don't have time to finish this now (and also the statistics change often). But don't worry, I'll repost this to every page with updates.

[SIZE=1][B]Gale[/B], the Mercenary (Sage)
[U]Statistics:[/U]
Level: 6 - HP: 300 - MP: 30
[u]Weapon:[/u]
Gilventure (golden longsword)
[U]Commands:[/U]
Sword Art (use following moves using a sword):
*Slam - damage with stunning effect
*Power Break - decrease target's physical strength
*Armor Break - decrease target's defense against physical attacks
*Magic Break - decrease target's magical potency
*Mind Break - decrease target's resistance against magic
*Slash - damage all opponents with halved effect
*Rasp - damage target's MP
Paysword (boost attack by spending gil)
[u]Support Ability:[/u]
Counter Attack (retaliate when hit physically)

[B]Aster[/B], the Dragoon (The (Sic) Shape)
Level 6 - HP: 350 - MP: 15
Kain's Lance (dark lance)
Jump (leap into air to avoid attacks and cause increased damage when landing)
Dragon Soul (tame a dragon and call it later to aid in battle)
War Cry (increase power and speed when HP is critically low)

[B]Logan[/B], the Red Mage (inti)
Level 5 - HP: 225 - MP: 40
Blood Sabre (red sabre)
Red Magic (cast following offensive and defensive spells):
*Fire
*Blizzard
*Thunder
*Water
*Poison
*Doom
*Cure
*Barrier (Protect & Shell combined)
*Sleep
*Blind
*Silence
*Life
Magic Slot (use learned spells randomly with double power)
Element Eater (absorb fire-, ice- and thunder-elemental attacks)

[B]Biggs[/B], the Gagdeteer (Zidargh)
Level 4 - HP: 220 - MP: 0
Mavericks (duel gloves)/Rifle (long range gun)
Blitz (perform combined attack using either gloves or a gun)
Go Wedge! (call Wedge to aid in battle)
Sentinel (sometimes Wedge comes to block enemy's attack)

[B]Wedge[/B], the Droid (Zidargh)
Level 4 - HP: 275 - MP: 5
N/A
Rocket Fist (attack with blasting effect)
Recharge (restore HP)
N/A

[B]Serisay[/B], the Guardian (Cyriel)
Level ? - HP: ? - MP: ?
Twin Blades (two machete-type swords)
Paralyze (damage with stopping effect)
Mimic (copy the previous ally's attack)
N/A

[B]Cortez[/B], the Thief (Jokopoko)
Level 5 - HP: 245 - MP: 10
Poison Daggers (knives with poisoned tips)
Steal (take items and gil from enemy)
Distract (lower target's accuracy)
Alert (avoid getting ambushed)

[B]Ascencia[/B], the Fencer (Arcadia)
Briar Rose (thin rapier)
Lunge Art (perform special moves using a rapier)
White Magic (cast restorative, defensive and holy spells)
Parry (increase evasion of attacks and spells)

[B]Kaeli[/B], the Merchant (Wondershot)
Level 3 - HP: 180 - MP: 50
Vajra (gadget with thunder element)
Spare Change (throw gil at enemy to cause damage)
Dice (cause random damage based on a roll of dice)
Mix (combine items to make more effective one when party's situation is critical)

[B]Rakurai[/B], the Fighter (Shanghai)
Level 6 - HP: 295 - MP: 40
Kali-Yuga (rod)
Rod Art (perform special moves using a rod)
Black Magic (cast elemental and status ailing spells)
Roar (decrease opponents' strength, speed and accuracy when HP is critical)

[B]Beatricia[/B], the Healer (NPC)
Level 3 - HP: 195 - MP: 95
Dual Staff (white staff that can be divided into two shorter sticks)
Light Prayer (restore a little HP to all party members without spending MP)
Critical Barrier (automatically have protect- and shell-statuses when HP gets too low)[/SIZE]

You might notice that I made slight changes to some statistics and commands, the most noticeable is the change of Ascencia's ability "Fervor" to a more practical "White Magic", which involves all curative and defensive spells. Hope you're okay with this, Arcadia.

Also, some of you haven't had a single battle yet, so I don't know what your character's level, HP and MP are. You can also PM me if you'd like to add/change any info on the commands, weapons etc.

But as said, I will update this later when I get more info. (I will also fill in the blank spots when I have the time)

EDIT: Yes, I used the copy-delete-repost trick to get this up to par again. Evil me. ;)

[FONT=Century][COLOR=RoyalBlue]After encountering the strange invader the party continued onwards, finally reaching the slimy, gas-filled sewage system.

"Any idea who that person was?" Logan asked Gale when they stopped to gasp some breath.

"I don't care; I've had enough of dark-cloaked figures lately. I have to admit that she - if she really was female - looked vaguely familiar."

"Not... Sade after all, was she?"

"No, by all means! I'd recognize [I]her[/I] even from a crowd of hundred!"

"Will you two be quiet?!" Cortez hushed snappishly. The Archane youngster had been shaky and jumpy during the whole journey through the tunnels, as if he knew they could meet death behind the next corner.

"What is it?" Gale asked. The others - Logan, Beatricia, Aster and his chocobo, and Biggs and Wedge - gathered behind him. Ooze dripped slowly but loudly from the walls around them.

"We are at the entrance of the last hall we need to cross. [I]If[/I] we make it through there, we reach the Weeping Woods."

"I sense there's a 'but' belonging to that sentence", Aster mused.

"Uh..." Cortez sighed, his face paling. "See for yourselves."

The others walked to the mouth of the tunnel. It lead to a huge hall with brickstone-walls. It was filled with liquid that couldn't really be described as anything else but slime. Sickly green gas oozed from it, and from time to time a big bubble rose to the surface, only to explode a little later.

"Absolutely utterly [I]disgusting[/I]!" Beatricia gagged.

"We need to cross [I]that[/I]?" Logan asked incredulously. "We can't really swim in that... crap."

"Well, there [I]was[/I] a boat, but... it sank," Cortez said with a shrug.

"Why did you bring us here then?" Gale said furiously, grabbing the rogue from the cleavage.

"I said be quiet, or..." the thief didn't have time to finish the sentence, as a mighty, deep howl rose from the pool. Suddenly the slime started rising towards the ceiling. Soon it formed three holes vaguely resembling eyes and mouth.

"... or you'll wake the Boogie", Cortez finished with a desperate tone in his voice.

The Boogie attacked them like a poison green tidal wave.

[I]*Engaged in battle with Boogie!"

PARTY1:
Gale - level 6 - HP: 300 - MP: 30
Cortez - level 5 - HP: 245 - MP: 10
Logan - level 5 - HP: 225 - MP: 40

PARTY2:
Aster - level 6 - HP: 350 - MP: 15
Biggs/Wedge - level 4/4 - HP: 220/275 - MP: 0/5
Beatricia - level 3 - HP: 195 - MP: 95[/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

Continue from this, folks!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[I]The Boogie gained the initiative by surprising the group and soon washed over them all, inflicting 30 damage to everyone and even poison to Gale, Aster and Biggs. Soon the Boogie re-manifested itself in front of them, as if creating a wall to prevent them from going further.

?Get this slime off of me!? Beatricia yelled as she frantically tried to get the sludge and ooze off her clothing.
?Don?t tell me we have to fight this thing!?!? Biggs asked, a frightened tone in his voice.

?We don?t seem to have a choice,? Wedge answered blankly.
?That?s what I was afraid of,? Cortez groaned.
?How the hell do we fight something so huge!?? Logan yelled out.
?Gale,? Aster started, ?Do you have a plan??

He stopped to consider the group?s options for about a minute, but he soon got a plan.

?Alright, we?ll attack this thing from two sides. Logan, Cortez and I will attack one side, and Aster, Biggs, Wedge, and Beatricia will attack from another. Ready?? Gale asked, unsheathing his weapon. Everyone simply nodded.

?Then let?s go!?

Aster, Biggs, Wedge, and Beatricia soon ran to one side of the Boogie, weapons drawn, yet Biggs and Beatricia had trouble assuming a serious battle pose in front of the giant blob, even Aster could hardly hold a straight face. Beatricia cast Esuna on Biggs, healing the poison.

?Go, Wedge!? Biggs yelled, and the robot began charging toward the Boogie, landing a fist on the blob. Aster followed with his lance, slashing the Boogie, but then lost 24 HP due to the poison. The Boogie attacked by launching a piece of sludge at Biggs, but Wedge stepped between it and Biggs, protecting him.

Wedge?s HP was reduced to 228, but was not inflicted with poison due to the fact he was a machine. Beatricia cast another spell, this time a cure spell, on everyone, healing 20 HP. Aster crouched to the ground, the suddenly pushed himself into the air with his lance, disappearing from the battlefield.

Wedge?s fists began to flash and ran to the Boogie with a blitz attack, pummeling it with his fists, and Biggs soon followed suit with his own blitz attack, causing just as much damage. The Boogie retaliated by once again becoming a wave and washed over the three.

Suddenly, a lance pierced through the giant blob, inflicting a great deal of damage, and Aster reappeared, pulled his lance out and swiftly landed back to where he last jumped. The poison took effect again, reducing Aster?s HP to 287. Beatricia cast a Cura spell on everyone this time, recovering 50 HP, Aster?s HP now 332 and everyone else?s completely healed.

?I wonder how the other?s are doing?? Beatricia suddenly asked.[/I]

Members of Party 1, continue the battle.

[size=1]OOC: Yay! We used the booger idea!!

[color=DarkSlateBlue]IC:
Logan, Cortez and Gale ran around to their side of the giant Boogie, and each sliced it once along the way. Logan's Blood Sabre healed him 10HP, but his total HP was still only on 205.
After assuming proper battle stances (Gods know why on earth everyone always wasted time on that) the Boogie attacked all three of them with another wave of goo, but this time it was smaller, only dealing 15 damage to each.
Gale launched an attack with his Sword Art command, using Mind Break, lowering the Boogie's magical resistance. This was followed by Cortez using Steal, snatching 79 gil from the slimeball.
"Uh...how does it carry gil?" Logan asked, a little confused. He got ready to use Magic Slot.
"Who cares? It's making me money!" Cortez laughed.
The Boogie launched a single attack at Cortez, while he was distracted, looking at exactly how much gil he had stolen and placing it in his pouch. The slime attack dealt 21 damage and had an added poison effect.
Gale launched another attack on the Boogie, this time using the Slam ability, stunning the Booger temorarily. Logan used the Magic Slot command, casting a doubly potent Water spell, dealing a large amount of damage to the Boogie. Cortez ran up and attacked the giant slime creature, and also took 19 damage due to poison.
"OW! Someone fix this for me!" Cortez whined. Gale used an Antidote on Cortez, shaking his head and rolling his eyes.
"Here's a little something to lessen the pain. And no, it's not morphene," Logan said, casting Barrier on the party.
Cortez and Gale teame up for a double attack, causing the Boogie to droop terribly. Their side of it was almost beaten.
"Burn baby!" called Logan, casting Fire on the Boogie.
The giant snotball used it's last ounce of strength to throw a huge wave of sludge against the party, halving Gale's, Cortez's and Logan's HP.
"So much for the Barrier." Cortez snorted.

*End of Party 1 battle, see end of Boss battle (next post) for EXP, items and gil gained*[/color][/size]

[FONT=Century][COLOR=RoyalBlue][I]
The combination of physical attacks and elemental magic that the two parties used proved effective. Howling one last time the Boogie exploded into a rain of goo.

*End of Boss Battle. 250 EXP gained. Beatricia level up to level 4 (HP: 220 MP: 110). Biggs&Wedge level up to level 5 (HP: 250/300 MP: 5/10). 2000 gil gained, 3xAntidotes gained*
[/I]

"Somehow I can't really appreciate this victory much..." Logan said dryly, wiping off the slime from his red coat. Gale rolled his eyes, and turned to the thief Cortez.

"Alright, we beat the giant blob, but we still don't know how to get accross."

"Look!" Beatricia yelled from little distance. She pointed at the pool. It was bubbling ominously again.

"Oh no, there's more?!" Logan yelled disbelievingly, but Aster shook his head.

"No, I think it's... a bridge?"

"So it is true! The rogue legends told that there was a bridge over the western sewer pool, but a monster formed from the goo sank it under it's weight!" Cortez explained, his yellow eyes shining.

"And [I]now[/I] you tell us?" Gale said, lifting his eyebrow.

"Interesting mechanism..." Biggs said, stepping on the narrow stone bridge without railings.

"Is it secure?" Gale asked cautiously.

"Yes, come on over!" the Astenian boy said waving his hand, and sprinting across to the other side.

The others followed carefully. Gale eyed down to the pool constantly, in case the Boogie had developed offspring.

The sun was rising when the diverse group ascended from the other end of the secret tunnel. They were now encircled by an extraordinary forest of blue crystals. The morning light made the dew on the crystals and blue grass gleam beautifully, and glowing insects of the night flied quickly to their holes, away from the daylight.

"Oh, how lovely..." Beatricia gasped, and made a few prancing steps.

"Don't get too overjoyed. The Weeping Woods is a hazardous place. I wish the tunnel had extended under it", Gale said, looking around as alert as ever.

"Bah! This is nothing compared to the bog of Rosaria: I tell you, fighting a fiend is a lot challenging when you can't see it", Aster said belittlingly.

"Well, we'll see if you're right when we get there", Gale replied. Then he turned to the other companions.

"Alright, I guess this is goodbye then," he said, aiming his words to Logan, Cortez and Biggs and his droid. "I thank you for your help, and who knows; we might bump into each other again in the future."

"Wait wait wait... You're just going to leave me behind?" Logan asked incredulously. "That won't happen, buddy; I'm going with you! Besides, you'll need a mage in your party."

"Are you sure about this, Logan?" Gale asked, receiving an affirmative nod as an answer. "Alright then, you can come..."

"We'll come too", Biggs said then, glancing at Wedge. "Wedge says that you're... important to us, somehow, and I don't really have anywhere else to go..."

"Fine, you can come as well!" Gale snapped. He turned his eyes on Cortez. "I assume you want to join us too?"

"Uh, the thing is... The quys at the guild aren't probably very happy that I revealed a secret tunnel to the son of the Que... the Master Templar Knight, so I guess I'll stick with you. Who knows when you next need a swift hand to reach somebody's pockets?"

"Hopefully not ever. But that's settled then", Gale said, looking at his five companions - seven, if you counted Wedge and Boco. "This bunch is going to Camelot."
[/COLOR][/FONT]

OOC: Remember to use the map of Northern Mertonia when you continue from this, guys!
[img]http://otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17841[/img]

EDIT: No reply for ages, thus I do my trick. ;) I'm not willing to let this game die just yet, so please, people, post, or at least PM me why this game is so lame that you don't want to! I think this story is developing greatly, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, just to spark up everybody's inspiration, I'll post more myself. (Seriously, if you feel your character can't do anything else, you should at least deepen the relationship between your character and the others.)

[font=century][color=royalblue]As the sun of Crescence climbed to the top of the sky, the diverse party of very unlike companions strode forward on a narrow path in the eerie Weeping Woods.

"Funny..." Logan remarked. "It's almost noon and the sun is high up, yet my breath is steaming. Is it just me, or do you others also feel like winter's coming early?"

Gale blew once for a test, and nodded then.

"It really is getting chillier here, but it's only late summer now. This doesn't seem right..."

"Maybe the magic of these crystals is affecting the weather?" Beatricia reckoned, but Logan swiftly shook his head.

"No, the crystals don't emit any unusual power. But there's something in this forest anyway..."

Then they heard a quiet, sobbing voice coming nearby.

"Listen!" Gale hushed.

"Kwark!!" Boco replied, going along with the tention of the humans. Aster gave it a stern look, and it managed to look almost ashamed.

"I'll go first", Gale said, unsheathing the Gilventure.

"What a surprise..." Aster commented. "Our brave leader volunteers to face the dreadful weeper hiding in a bush!"

The mocking laughter of the dragoon made Gale want to use the Gilventure on the man's throat, but his contemplations were interrupted by the source of the sobbing voice.

It was a tiny, light blue moogle with minuscule purple wings and antenna. It crawled from under the bush.

"Aw, how cute!" Beatricia exclaimed. "What's the matter, little guy?"

"It...it's so cold... kupo..."

"Yes, we noticed that", Gale said coldly, receiving a murdering glance from the priestess. "Any idea why it's so cold here, then?"

"It... it is the Demon... kupo..."

"Come here", Beatricia said warmly, wrapping the creature inside her white cloak.

"Did that thing say "Demon"?" Cortez asked. "As in a Demon from the Core?"

"Do [I]you[/I] know anything about it?" Gale asked.

"Sure! In case you didn't know, Arcane Empire - that's where I'm from - has entry to the Grail Plains leading to the exposed Core. So all the creepy critters from the Core take pleasure in raiding my country from time to time, and they're usually lead by one or two Demons. Those guys are major, the most powerful monstrosities the Core has to offer. Trust me, we don't want to mess with one of them!"

Everybody looked at the thief silently for a long moment.

Gale blinked, and finally spoke first.

"They can't be that bad."

Then he turned to the moogle, curled up in Beatricia's arms.

"Where exactly can we find this Demon?" he asked, receiving a horrified gasp from the others.

"Y-you can't be serious!?" Cortez exclaimed. "Didn't I just tell you..."

"We can't just let any Demons wander around here freely, can we?" Gale asked, not trusting to his reasoning even himself. But something inside him told that the Demon needed to be banished.

The moogle whispered something.

"What was that?" Gale asked, turning around swiftly.

"It said that she lives in a pond", Beatricia told.

"She? The Demon? Alright, let's split up to search for a pond.

"Are you really out of your mind?!" Cortez raged on. "I'm not going to do any Demon-hunting! We don't even have a Demonologist among us...!"

"Whoa! Wait there, buddy!" Logan interrupted. "Aren't the Demonologist all gone? That trade of magic is forbidden!"

"Not in my country. Believe me, if we want to beat a Demon, we will need a Demonologist to take it under control!"

Gale looked into Cortez's yellow eyes. They showed various feelings, but atopmost fear.

"Alright, then..." he said slowly, turning to the others. "What do you others think? Should we go and search for this Demon?"
[/color][/font]

OOC: You do know who is the demon I'm talking about, right? Coldness? Female? Begins with "s", ends with "a", has a sex-disease in the middle? Yup, that's her. ;)

Kaeli shuddered slightly as a particularily cool wind blew past her. She drew her cloak tighter around her, and took a quick look around to see where she was. This proved to be a mistake, however, as she was not exactly aware just how far she had walked blindly forward. To her horror, she could no longer see where she had come from in the first place, she was lost.
"Ah!" She cried out as another cool wind rushed up to meet her, she looked around at the spot where she was, uncertain where to start walking next. She took a deep breath, and marched on, trying to find some sort of landmark to tell exactly where she was. On her way, she looked slightly to her right and saw something incredible: A beautiful lake, lined with crystalline plants and the surface shimmering cooly and unbroken, like a massive mirror. Kaeli stared at this magnificent scene before taking a step forward.
[i]I guess this landmark is good enough.[/i] She thought smugly before moving over towards it.

The ground was vary cold, given, but Kaeli didn't seem to mind all that much, as she examined a large plant with diamond-like petals sticking out. She picked off a petal absently, then stared in perplexity as it disintegrated into dust and blew off into the air.
"No point in trying to sell that, then." She said with disappointment as she stared into the lake, looking at a perfect reflection. She brushed her hand over the water, and it didn't move, not even with the wind, as though frozen solid. She reached a hand in and dipped it into the water. Almost resentfully, the lake's surface broke open and began to ripple, and Kaeli yelled and pulled her hand out quickly, feeling as though she had been burned. The lake water was frigid, and Kaeli looked at her hand, swollen and red from frostbite. She looked in confusion at the lake, as she had never felt anything so cold before in her life. If the water was that cold, then why was it not freezing? Kaeli didn't have much time to ponder this point, as the ripple from her hand passed over the center of the lake, and the surface began to shine and ripple even further. Kaeli backed off slightly, wondering what had just happened. The rippling became more violent, and Kaeli got up, now thinking that something was definetely wrong here. She stared as this mysterious human figure rose up from the lake water, with an ice-blue body and a penetrating stare. The water began to churn more uncontrollably, and Kaeli pulled the small Vajra out of her pocket, wondering what was going to happen next.

[i]Entering battle with Shiva!

Kaeli: Lvl 3, HP: 180, MP: 50
Commands: Attack
Spare Change
Dice
Mix[/i]

Kaeli looked up at the mysterious blue creature as she rose up from the lake water, and looked at the Vajra in har hand before turning it on. Blue electricity crackled from the two small prongs ad the end of the sword-like device, and she looked especially focused as the human figure looked at her. It rose one hand high in the air, and Kaeli heard a small wooshing noise behind her. She turned around, and felt the powerful sting of a blast of wintry air from behind her, dealing her 20 HP of damage. She looked back, wonderhing how she could fight against something so far away from her location. In a flash of insight, she reached into the pocket of her cloak, and pulled out two tiny bright white cubes. Focusing deeply, she imagined winning a lot of money with these lucky dice of hers, and, magically, they began to grow to very large proportions, so big that she had to carry one under each arm. Closing her eyes tightly, she threw the two dice as hard as she could into the air,and they landed with a heavy thud; right on the surface of the water! Kaeli stared for a moment before looking at the numbers on the surface: one die showed four points, the other two. Kaeli looked up as the points of the dice magically rose up and flattened out to become airborne cutters. Whizzing through the air, they struck the creature's face, but dealt amost no damage. Kaeli groaned as Shiva lifted her arm up again, and Kaeli whirled around, ready to avoid the freeze spell from behind.

It didn't come.

Kaeli looked around to see what was going on, but missed the massive bubble of frigid lake water now poised directly over her head. Shiva dropped her arm, and Kaeli screamed as the heavy water poured over her, severely freezing her skin and dealing 50 damage total. Kaeli looked around for some kind of solution, as she could not get close enough for melee combat, and Dice was too risky to try again. She was too late in making her next move, however, as Shiva casted another spell, this time covering Kaeli's entire body with ice, so she could not move at all. Shiva reached a hand out, and, with two fingers, made a smart snap which echoed through the air. Kaeli screamed as the ice shattered, and cried out in pain as the frigid treatment had done it's job, she was completely paralyzed, and now had only 10 HP left.
"This can't...be happening..." Kaeli thought as she looked up to see the mysterious Shiva move slowly towards her, ready to strike the killing blow...
"Please...somebody...help me..."

[font=book antiqua] "Wait. All we've done is walk, fight, walk, fight," Biggs spoke in a continuous manner. "I think we should rest at least for a few minutes."

Everyone looked at the weary faced Astenian. Struggling to speak, due to the frustration caused by this sudden interruption to his plan, Gale groaned and reluctantly agreed, "...Fine. But only for a few minutes."

Everyone made their way to a comfortable position, trying to seek some form of shelter from the random, cold gusts. Everyone except for Wedge who chased after the magical insects, letting them land on his metallic fingers. Finally, he walked over to the prone Biggs and stood beside him, watching his actions. "Master Biggs, may I ask what you are doing?"

"Making... a little... something." Biggs replied fumbling with a little screw driver, trying to twist it into a round object.

"Is that what I think it is?" Wedge asked, sitting next to the black device.

"Yep... This should help us out on our way." Biggs smiled as some flakes of ice rested on his goggles. He then pointed to one of the many plants that stood silently. "Hey, pick up one of those plants over there."

"This one?" Wedge asked, now standing as he plucked a baby blue plant that shimmered with the winds.

"That's right. Now crush it."

Wedge did so easily, clenching his fist and opening it to find crystalline flakes only to be left. Wedge looked up and almost smiled in curiosity at thought of the magical beings in this woodland. "Ah I see. So your explosive device should help clear a route if we get lost?"

"Got it in one." Biggs thumbed up to Wedge and continued twisting the small screwdriver. He then stood up, tossed and caught the bomb, and then dropped it into his rucksack. Suddenly, a large smashing sound could be heard in the distance, causing everyone to jump to their feet in sounds.

"What was that?" Cortez questioned, looking over to Gale.

"I don't know but it sounded like a spell of some sort. And I want to find out where that spell was coming from!" Gale readied his Gilventure and charged off through the woodland, passing the magical, light colours that tinted the forest. Everyone followed until they reached a dead end. The trees weeped low and pink and blue icicles hung, blending in with their surroundings.

[i]"Somebody...please...help...me."[/i] A faint and weary voice could be heard in the distance.

"Damn it! We don't have time to find another route but we've reached a dead end, and to make it worse, a crystal and slippery dead end." Gale shouted, kicking the blue stump of a tree which shook slightly, raining some clear flakes upon the ground.

"Everybody, stand back." Biggs called from the back of the group as he walked through the warriors that paced backwards, away from the kicked tree. Having reached into his bag to pick up the bomb, he placed it down, nestled between some leaves and lit it with a single match that he then threw away. With the [i]fizzle[/i] of the bomb fuse burning out, everyone ran to the sides and hid behind two symmetrical rocks. Finally, the bomb exploded with a huge roar, shattering the tree that's remains blew away with the wind.

The group lay prone, waiting for the cloud of smoke to shatter, waiting to see what they were going to encounter.[/font]

----------

OOC: Sorry for the lack of quality in that post.

Serisay was on the outer reaches of Miraclion, looking over the city from a hill. The famous river was flowing with an eery light, and she shuddered. She'd have to explore a little, and find another way in and out. She couldn't believe that there was only one way.

[I]Or, if there's only one way, then I will have to make another one.[/I] Her quiet, worried thoughts were interrupted by a sound of a small explosion. She looked over quickly, the golden hair trinkets chiming with the momentum. She saw a cloud of birds take flight, and the trees were shaking. A cloud of smoke billowed just under the canopy, and spiraled out into the sky, barely visible. [I]What...what is that?[/I]

[I]A battle, perhaps?[/I] There did seem to be a bit more activity in Miraclion than was usual, but she hadn't known the reason, and hadn't deemed to enter and find out. Better not to show her face, or give anyone anything to remember her by until it was necessary. Looking over the cloud of smoke that was still visible, Serisay put her hand instinctively on her twin machetes under her thick cloak. And then...she strange feeling she had became familiar to her. [I]Demon.[/I] The shiver that rippled across her skin only confirmed her suspicions; even from here she could feel the slight chill that its presence brought on the faint breeze.

[I]A demon...here. Now I have no choice. Duty. It is my duty to vanquish it. To do otherwise would be to shame myself and my Emperor.[/I] Her mouth narrowed to a grim line as she ran swiftly down the hill, down into the Weeping Forest. She leapt quickly through the trees, sniffing occasionally for the scent of water and the smoke. Serisay caught a brief whiff, and corrected her direction. Even now, from the chill she was feeling, she could identify what the demon was. [I]The Lady of Beauty...with any icy glare and an icy heart.[/I] She had fought a Shiva before - combat against demons had been included in all training of the Emperor's honor guard.

Suddenly, she swept out into a clearing, and was enveloped by smoke. Serisay couldn't see a thing, and immediately, silently, drew her weapons. [I]A mistake. And one that I shouldn't have made. I should not have miscalculated the distance, or been taken off guard by the smoke. Stupid mistake.[/I] Her eyes scanned the smoke, in a ready stance. She was looking for Shiva...but she heard something else. Other footsteps...many...and another voice that was faintly calling for help. The smoke cleared.

Serisay found herself looking at a motley of characters, and immediately crouched in a defensive stance. She found herself studying their strange appearances, and it was only until seconds later that she remembered she was looking for a demon. But by then, recognition had dawned on the others' faces. As she looked quickly back and forth at them, the golden trinkets in her hair chimed.

Beatricia gasped, "The assassin from the tunnels!"

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Century]
[I]Caught between a gate and a battering ram[/I], Gale thought.

There was an icy Demon right behind the next corner, and now they were faced with the assassin that assaulted them earlier.

"Did you follow us?" Gale asked suspiciously, pointing the Gilventure at the Arcane woman.

"Excuse me?" the woman asked, still in a defensive pose. "Have we met before?"

"What are you talking about?!" Logan shouted. "You [I]attacked[/I] us in the tunnels!"

The woman shook her head in confusion. A sudden shriek interrupted them.

"It's the demon!" Cortez exclaimed worriedly. "She's coming!"

"Let me handle her!" the woman suddenly replied. "I've fought Shiva before."

"Look at that, she knows the Demon's name. A friend of yours, maybe?" Logan smirked.

The woman sighed in frustration, and leaped over a few crystallized bushes.

The others looked at Gale, who nodded. "We'll follow."

At the glade they encountered a small but apparently very deep pond, with a frozen surface. The ice was broken at the center, and above the lake floated a figure of a devilishly beautiful woman with ice-blue skin and white, flowing hair. She looked down on them with shining eyes.

The Arcane assassin stood at the edge of the pond, next to another woman, who was apparently frozen by the Demon.

"Ah..." the Demon sighed. "How nice that all of you have come to greet me. You will make a fine gift for my Masters. Not one, but seven Destined Ones."

"What is she blabbering about", Logan asked, leaning towards Gale. Gale couldn't do anything but shrug. He had no idea.

"I don't know what you are talking about, fiend", Gale finally replied. "But the only thing we're destined to do is to destroy you!"

A wide grin spreaded to the Demon's perfect face.

"Give me your best shot", she said coldly.

The Demon Shiva lifted her arms to the air, sucking energy from the frozen forest around her.

"We need to split up!" Gale shouted to the others. "Logan, Beatricia, come with me!"

"But what about Boco and the moogle?" Beatricia shouted back with a worried tone. "They're scared to death!"

"By gods, don't worry about your stupid pets [I]now[/I]!"

The assassin suddenly stepped in front of Gale. "I can take her place. I have experience with this specific lady."

The mercenary gazed at her suspiciously. "I don't even know your name, or where you come from! How do you suppose..."

"My name is Serisay. I am the Honor Guard of the Child Emperor Shin Ra of Arcane Empire. Is that good enough for you, soldier?"

Gale had no other option but to give in when facing a person in such high position.
"I... guess it is. Come along, then."

Both of the parties prepared for whatever the Demon had in store for them.

*Engaged in battle with Demon Shiva*
[U]PARTY 1:[/U]
Gale - level 6 - HP: 300 - MP: 30 - Sword Art, Paysword
Logan - level: 5 - HP: 225 - MP: 40 - Red Magic, Magic Slot
Serisay - level: 6 - HP: 325 - MP: 45 - Paralyze, Mimic

[U]PARTY 2:[/U]
Aster - level: 6 - HP: 350 - MP: 15 - Jump, Dragon Soul
Cortez - level: 5 - HP: 245 - MP: 10 - Steal, Distract
Biggs/Wedge - level 5/5 - HP: 250/300 MP: 5/10 - Blitz, Go Wedge!/Rocket Fist, Recharge

[i]The Demon took the initiative by releasing the energy she had gathered from the forest.

"DIAMOND DUST!" she shrieked, blasting both of the parties with a rain of sharp icicles. All suffered a great loss of health points.

"Ungh..." Gale gasped as he stood back up. "We can't take another one of those! Let's team up, people!"

"Alright, I'll try my magic slots!" Logan shouted, shaking off shards of ice from his shoulders. "Wish me luck!"

Logan began mumbling magic words for the spell, and both Gale and Serisay took this opportunity to slash Shiva with their weapons, the Gilventure and the Twin Blades, respectively.

"Here we go!" Logan uttered finally, his pale eyes glowing with inner force. "Poison!!"

A blob of green ooze hit the Demon, with no effect.

"Blizzard!! ... Whoopsie."

The ice-elemental spell hit Shiva, restoring her HP instead of damaging it.

"Ah..." she sighed pleased. "I thank you, foolish human."

"Let's try another trick!" Serisay exclaimed suddenly. "You know Fire-spell, don't you?"

Logan nodded, depressed of his mistake.

"Cast that, and I'll repeat it!"

"Huh?" Logan said confused.

"Just go ahead!" Serisay urged him. He fell into the light trance again.

"Do I know you?" Shiva suddenly asked, turning her attention to the Arcane woman. "You seem familiar... Yes, now I remember! Serisay of Arcabad, how could I have forgot the woman who almost defeated me?"

"You can forget that 'almost' part this time, *****!" Serisay screamed. At the same time, Logan released his ball of fire.

"Outch! That... hurt!" the Demon shrieked between her glenched fangs.

"It's going to hurt some more! Fire!!" Serisay exclaimed, throwing another fireball at the demon.

Gale was astonished. The woman could mimic their moves!

"Keep going, you two!" Gale urged them. "I'll use these potions..."

Gale felt an unexpected grasp at his heart. For the first time in his life, he wasn't at the first row in a battle. At the moment he was just a mere... medic! It really made him feel confused.[/i]
[/FONT] [/COLOR]

OOC: Hope your happy with the statistics I gave your character, Cyriel!

EDIT: Added some description on the flow of the battle. Members of the second party, feel free to continue! I'll only wait for a day, though, before moving on.

As a sidenote, I'm truly happy this is rolling again! :D We currently have seven of the nine players gathered in one place, and that's just great! Just hang on, I've thought that parts of the main plot is revealed to the characters at Mistral Moors.

Before that, however, the party should visit [B]Windale Village[/B], where all the crops have failed due to the unnatural coldness. Just guess which one of the Seven Scourges is behind it. ;)

Oh, and [B]if you want to end the battle with Shiva, make her drop the key item "Winter Rune"[/B] - it will be needed later if somebody is going to upgrade to Demonologist job.

[font=book antiqua] [b]*Continued from Battle!*[/b]

Biggs watched in awe at the fireball toting warriors as they hurled their flames towards the beautiful Demon. "Master Biggs!" Wedge ran up behind Biggs and poked him on the back. "We must stay focused!"

"Oh... Yeah, sorry." Biggs replied faintly but jumped to his battle position quickly after. "Watch this!"

Biggs threw his hands above his head and began concentrating to a very high degree. With eyes closed, he screamed, "Fire!" Everyone stopped to look at the concentrating gadgeteer, even the fire-ball toting allies, and eventually began to look at eachother with raised eyebrows. "What the hell are you doing!?" Cortez shouted, before slashing the Demon with his weapon.

"Oh... Well it looked so [i]cool[/i], I just had to try it." Biggs spoke lightheartedly and grinned before he pulled up his maverick gloves. Having secured his melee weaponry, he ran up across the 'solid' pond and threw a punch onto one of the breasts of the Demon but was stuck in place. The icy, scarce layers of the Demon had attached the glove and froze it in place. "Oh damnit..."

"I'll break you free." Aster called out, readying his lance and catapulted himself in the air, it would be a while before he reached his peak of elevation.

"Master Biggs!" Wedge readied his fist and launched it straight at the breast of the beautiful woman. Unfortunately, a stray icicle attached to nipple of the woman deflected the blow and angled the fist to make an impact on Biggs's hand.

"Yeow!" Biggs screamed in pain. "Wedge!"

"I apologise Master Biggs." Wedge said reluctantly, recovering his metallic fist as he ran up alongside Cortez to make a normal attack, seeming to wind the woman.

[i]"Ouch. You shall pay for that!"[/i] The Demon shrieked, raising her right arm to form a large, javelin-like icicle and slung it directly at the machina robot. Upon impact, it ripped off a piece of leather from the neck of Wedge and flung him backwards into a tree, causing a large amount of damage.

As the shards of glass-like ice settled, Wedge apologised once more as he began to emit sparks. "Once again, I have failed Master Biggs." Wedge's eyes turned from glowing lights into dark, energy-less holes, he had shut down.

"No!" Biggs screamed after picking out his previously-crafted rifle. "Now [i]you[/i] will pay! Blitz!" The gadgeteer pulled the trigger at point blank range, sending a piercing bullet into the Demon, whilst she also then suffered two blows from the constantly thrown fireballs.

[i]"Ungh... I... shall... eliminate... you... scum."[/i] Shiva struggled to speak and called upon the spell, 'Diamond Dust', once more which inflicted another dose of heavy damage on everyone in both parties. However, a piercing lance struck her to the frozen pond as Aster succeeded in hitting with his 'Jump' attack, reducing the Demon's health to a critical point.

For the final blow, Cortez slashed, Biggs blitzed and Aster jumped aback as two fireballs once again burnt the woman.

[i]"What!? This... cannot... be!"[/i] The resentful Demon breathed her last gust of cold air and fell to the ground as her body disintegrated into nothing-ness whilst her glowing souls floated away.

Having been broken free, Biggs ran over to his friend, Wedge, and shook him off of the icicle as the leather snapped back into place. A tear fell from Biggs's eye as he feared for the worst, holding his friend into his arms. "Wedge..."

"Hello, Master Biggs!" Wedge's eyes flickered again as he waved at the holding man.

"Eh!?" Biggs jumped from his knees, staring at his friend.

"Oh! You thought I was...? I recharged!" Wedge informed his friend as he was placed down. Wedge was now down to 5 MP.

Suddenly, the party's victory fanfare played...

[center]*End of Battle!*

350 EXP gained! No gil gained. Key item - [b]Winter Rune[/b] gained![/center]

"Would someone please tell me where in [i]summons[/i] is this victory fanfare coming from!?" Gale shouted in confusion as the party regrouped.

"Hey, look what I found." Beatricia ran up to the party, cuddling her Moogle as Boco followed. She then pulled out a magical crystal which eminated an icy-blue colour. "That Demon dropped it."

"Ah, the Winter Rune!"[/font]

-----
OOC: Heh, I wanted to add some random comedy into this RPG, ^_~. I ended the battle if that's okay.

[FONT=Century][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Everybody gathered to take a look at the relic Shiva had dropped.

"Winter Rune?" Gale wondered. "Does anybody have the silightest clue what is it's purpose?"

The serious-looking Arcane woman approached the rest of the party.

"This is a mystic icon of the Demon Shiva. Demonologist use these runes to call Demons to aid in battle. However, summoning them is very dangerous, because if the Demonologist isn't strong enough, the conjured Demon might break loose and cause havoc in both sides of the battle."

Everybody gazed at the woman silently.

"Oh," Gale finally said, breaking the silence. "Thank you for the information. I think it might be best if I took care of this - wouldn't want to leave these kind of things lying around."

Gale took the item from Beatricia.

As the party's interest in the item dispersed, they noticed the sudden change of temperature around them. The blue forest was actually melting - and fast.

"Uh, my boots are wet!" Logan whined. Beatricia swiftly mounted Boco, away from the water flowing to the pond.

Suddenly they heard a thump near them. As they turned, they saw the formerly frozen girl collapsed in the sleet.

"Whoopsie, I think we forgot something..." Logan said with a disturbing smile.

Trying to show off their chivalry, both Aster and Gale raced to the girl in an almost comical way. What made the situation more comical was that it was actually Wedge the Droid who reached her first.

"Wake up, human", Wedge commanded, shaking the girl a bit too hard.

"Uh... Ah... Ough... H-hey!! Eek! Get off me!" the girl bounced up, pushing the droid over. Her leap, however, ended short as she bumped into Biggs, who was approaching them behind her.

"Uh, hello..." Biggs uttered, his pale boyish face blushing as he held the girl in his arms.

"Hello to you too", the girl said softly, almost flirtatiously.

"What a recovery", Beatricia said dryly to Gale, steering Boco next to him.

"My my, how far did my voice really reach for having so many saviors?" the girl asked smiling.

Gale stepped forward. "Consider yourself just lucky, miss..."

"... Kaeli", the girl answered, pulling away from Biggs's arms. "Although you can skip the 'miss' part. I'm just a lowly merchant, I have no need for courtesy. Money, however, will do just nicely."

"You want us to pay you for saving you?" Gale asked incredulously.

"It was just a [I]joke[/I]! By gods, have you no sense of humor?!" the girl asked, rolling her big eyes. She corrected her beige turban and wiped the sleet of her heavy-looking cape. "So, what's your story? Who are you anyways. You know, it's rude not to introduce yourself when a person tells you her name."

"Give me a break", Gale sighed. "Alright. My name is Gale Godspeed, and I am a mercenary from Miraclion. My job was to secure Beatricia's - that girl on the chocobo - safety because tonight she was supposed to become the Holy Heir to the Throne of Mertonia. However, fate intervened in the form of Aster, that armored guy with a spear, who was assigned to kill the Holy Heir. Luckily Beatricia, not actually thrilled about becoming the heir, managed to convince him otherwise, so now us three are headed to Camelot in Rosaria to meet Aster's employer. Although first we needed a way to get out of Miraclion, so my friend Logan - the crimson-coat with a dorky smile in his face - helped us to find a thief who would guide us through the secret tunnels. The best we could find was Cortez, that gloomy guy over there."

"Thanks a bunch..." Cortez snapped.

"Your welcome. The guy you so willingly embraced is Biggs, and his metallic friend who tried to help you in his inhumane manner is Wedge. And finally, this dark woman with fancy hair is called Serisay. She assaulted us in the tunnels and apparently followed us here."

"I told you, it [I]wasn't me[/I]!" Serisay replied between glenched teeth.

"Yes, that's what [I]you [/I] say. But anyway, here we are, a totally random group of people who just heard from a Demon of the Core that they are destined to do [I]something[/I]."

Kaeli's jaw had dropped sometime during this review. She snapped it shut, and shrugged. "Sounds like an adventure to me. Mind if I join you?"[/COLOR][/FONT]

OOC: There, now the main parts of what has happened until this point in the story should be clear to everybody. Continue as you wish!

[font=book antiqua] Gale tilted his head towards the now snow-covered surface and shook his head with reluctancy, "Urgh. Yes alright you can come with us."

Kaeli shook her cloak in an attempt to remove the crystal, white flakes that began to settle on the material and smiled at the swordsman, "Thankyou. With my merchanting skills, I will be an invaluable member of the group."

"Yep. You'll make us alot of money." Cortez said enthusiastically and grinned at the fatigued Gale.

"Just... just shut up." Gale muttered under his breath and glared at Cortez.

Having just surveyed the perimeter of their melting location, Wedge approached the group and decided on the plan of action. "Our group is tired, Gale Godspeed and you appear to be getting cold. With this weather, we should seek shelter in a nearby village--"

"Assuming there is one." Logan interrupted.

"Well, sensors state that their should be a village about half an hour's way away if we leave now before the snowfall transforms into a blizzard." Wedge answered back and headed over to Biggs to walk alongside him.

Biggs was in fact rubbing his arms while his teeth chattered, causing a severe vibrating motion. His cold breath breathed out puffs of mist which faded with the cold air. "The sooner we find an Inn, the better." Biggs said.

"Alright, we'll head beyond the pond, towards the village." Gale replied and began to slowly glide across the frozen pond, of which everyone followed, including Boco the Chocobo who squawked every now and then when it's thin foot touched an especially cold surface.

Biggs and Wedge reminisced about their journey while everyone else conversed, talking and laughing when they could to forget the harsh temperatures that surrounded them. "So Master Biggs, how do you feel about our party?" Wedge asked, looking up at the focused Gadgeteer who's lenses began to become covered with snow flakes.

Wiping the lenses and lifting the goggles, he looked down as he walked and smiled, "Well, they all seem like pretty nice people. It may sound funny, but I'd rather be here than back at home."

Wedge seemed to struggle to understand why Biggs was content with leaving home and finally questioned, "Why did you want to leave so much, Master Biggs?"

Biggs chuckled to himself and smiled at the naivety of his droid companion, "Believe me, if you spend a time in a place for too long, it can get old, and fast too."

Everyone continued on walking and talked, as did Biggs and Wedge until someone else entered the conversation, it was the quite attractive, Kaeli. "So this is the first time you've travelled huh?"

"Yep, pretty sad, heh." Biggs chuckled.

"No, it's not sad at all. I wish I had a place to settle down into. Traversing the landscapes is quite a lonely task." Kaeli replied, similarily in the tone of Wedge's wonder.

"Well, I don't know. Who knows, I may go back, I may not."

"And maybe I could go with you!" Kaeli jumped at the thought, seeming to walk sideways, nearer to Biggs.

Biggs looked ahead and smiled, flattered by the attention he was beginning to recieve, but also quite embarrassed of which Wedge found amusing. "You never know."

It had been about twenty minutes the group had walked for, and upon the vast, white land with the mountain plains, topped with white peaks, the group neared a brown, tilted sign, pointing onwards to a sillhouette of a settlement of some sort. Gale wiped the snow off of the sign and read, [i]Continue to Windale Village.[/i]

[i]"This'll do."[/i] Gale thought.[/font]

OOC: Zid, you didn't notice that the snow in the forest melted after Shiva's defeat, since it was her doings. It is currently summer in the game. ;)

[FONT=Century][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Gale halted his small entourage at the sign. They had exited the Weeping Woods and ahead of them spread the once beautiful Windale Fields. Now all the crops and the flowers were brown and barren. The numerous windmills located here and there had stopped without the wind where the area had received its name.

"Everybody listen up! I know you're tired from all the fighting, but we cannot rest for long. The Templar Knights are probably now searching the area beyond the city walls. Luckily they are only after a Holy Heir and her guardian, and not a party of eight humans, a droid, a chocobo and a moogle. We will descend here from the hills down to the Windale Village that you can probably see in the horizon, and find an inn there. For this, we have make up a cover-up story. My suggestion is that we pose as a group of mercenaries on our way to Rosaria to offer ourselves to the highest bidder among the Houses. Everybody agrees?"

The party mumbled approvingly.

"Good. That's settled then. Remember that we have to be quick, since we have to get across the Mistral Moors that lie between us and Camelot before the dusk falls. From the stories I've heard it is the last place I would like to spend the night."

"Afraid of the ghosts, are you?" Aster teased. "I've fought the spirits of the ancestors that dwell under the moors, and they aren't as tough as they are frightening. A good stock of potions and healing spells will banish them in no time."

"Alright, but still there is no excuse in dragging behind. Anybody who does that is left there. Understood? Good. Now, let's walk."

The party started to make its way down the hill towards the village. People behind Gale made quiet conversations, but the mercenary prefered to walk in peace, and everybody let him do so. That was until Gale heard swift steps approaching him, escorted by a bright chime of jewelry.

"It wasn't me, you have to believe me!" Serisay said seriously. "I don't know any secret passages to Miraclion, and I have no motives to follow you! I seriously don't know why I'm walking with you at this moment."

"Then explain to me why the assassin we met in the tunnels looked exactly like you!" Gale said, stopping suddenly. He faced the Arcane woman, who also had stopped. The others walked passed them, but lingered a little further ahead.

"I... don't know", Serisay muttered. "Unless it was somebody who had a personal grudge against me... Somebody who wanted to frame me... Somebody who had unfinished businesses in Miraclion..."

"Who would be such a person?" Gale wondered.

"My sister", Serisay said sadly. "Sade."

"What?! Sade the Soul Reaver? [I]She[/I] is your sister?"

"You... know her?"

"Oh do I?! She almost murdered my mother! I mean... the Queen..." Gale's face blushed.

"I didn't realize you were the prince..." Serisay muttered. The other slowly approached them, gathering around them.

"I'm not a prince! The Queen isn't allowed to have children..." Gale's voice broke.

"I'm sorry... Actually, I ahven't told you everything about my motives. I'm here to search for my sister. The Emperor send me..."

"You're here to finish off your sister's job, aren't you. That's why you are walking with us now, isn't it? You want to kill Beatricia."

It was now Serisay's turn to blush. Everybody stared at her suspiciously.

"I... I am observing the situation. I am disobeying direct orders now, and you cannot imagine how hard it it for me", Serisay whispered. A single tear appeared at the corner of her eye.

Gale looked at the woman. She was obviously torn apart from inside. Finally he placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Trust me, I know. I am doing the exact same thing now. But let us forget this now, and hurry to the village. It is already afternoon, and everybody are exhausted."

He motioned to the others to move on, and the party continued in silence. Serisay stayed behind, staring at her feet.

After a dozen steps Gale turned to look at the woman.
"Are you coming?"
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Serisay looked up. Gale's eyes were still on her, an inquiring expression on his face. She was almost surprised to see how sincere he looked. He waited, silent, and she couldn't help but bite her lip. Unable to keep his gaze, she looked away. The golden trinkets chimed.

[I]How can this be? Why have I not already destroyed them? My purpose is to...finish Sade's work. They all know my face - they can pick me out and recognize me. I have my mission, and they threaten the carrying out of it. Why have I not already drawn my weapons against them?[/I]

Seeing that Serisay was troubled in her deep thoughts, Gale turned away. He walked slowly on, not looking back, but keeping his ears open to any soft steps that might alert him.

Serisay watched him go. She studied the group that was ahead of her. [I]They don't belong together. And yet...they have all united... They stand together, protect each other. Why? And why...do I not kill them? Such a rag-tag, disorganized group. I could kill them easily. But why...why do I stay my hand?[/I] She looked down at her feet again, studying the dust. She put her hand in her pocket, and felt the delicate rice paper. Taking it out, she unfolded it to reveal the character once more. [I]Duty. I must serve my duty. And my duty belongs to the wishes of the Emperor... Oh, Child of the Gods, why did you send me from your side? It was so easy then, because I knew full well my purpose. I protected you from those who wished you harm. My life was...is devoted to you. But now...I am here, alone, without your young, wise words. And my purpose, and my duty, grow hazy before me. I know not what to do. Why did you send me from your side?[/I]

She suppressed a sob, her breath coming out in silent, painful heaves. She closed her eyes tightly, still able to picture the child emperor with his back turned, asking her what she wished for the most in life. [I]Heavenly Child...I have sworn my loyalty to you. I will follow your commands. But...I will do this following my own path. I cannot walk on the ground that you set out for me...I am not ready. Forgive me.[/I] Serisay clutched the rice paper tightly in her fist, her heart heavy.

Turning, she saw the others rounding the bend of the corner, and hurried to follow. Her steps were silent; only the chime of her hair trinkets gave her away to Gale. A smile flickered across his face, but he kept his eyes on the others. She didn't notice, still deep in thought. And her heart was still tearing inside of her. [I]Duty...I must keep my duty. I must fulfill what I set out to do. But...I couldn't kill them then. Can I kill them if I must?[/I]

[FONT=Century][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
Gale tried not to think about this new twist that had been revealed, but failed miserably.

[I]"If the assassin who assaulted us in the tunnels was in reality Sade, then it must mean she was going to finish her job. It is up to the gods to decide if Fuchsia will survive the second attempt... Her powers are superhuman, but if her mind is out of balance, she might be very vulnerable... The powers might even turn against her..."[/I]

His thoughts were finally aimed away from the subject when they reached their first destination.

"Windale Village - Where People Live In Peace", Gale read from a loosely hanging sign at the side of the path leading to the village. "Huh. It seems like people are living in peace to extremity."

The village really was quiet. Not a soul was in sight. All windows were dark, some doors hanged open. An abandoned cart stood at the small square. Even all the animals were gone.

"Strange. It's... deserted", Gale wondered.

"What's more strange is that I've heard nothing about this", Logan continued. "And usually I hear all the rumors passing through Miraclion. Windale Village is the place where most of the flours come to the city, but I haven't noticed any lack in bread."

Everybody scattered to look around the village to find if it was really abandoned for good.

Gale walked to Aster.

"Don't look at me", the dragoon said defensively. "I used the road when I came from Rosaria."

"I didn't... Oh, forget it", Gale gave up. The Rosarian man apparently still thought Gale didn't trust him.

"He-ey!" Beatricia suddenly yelped. "Boco, what's the matter? Where are you gooo...!!!"

Boco the Chocobo suddenly sprinted out of sight, to the other side of the village. The others followed the bird as fast as they could.

When they finally reached Boco and Beatricia, they found another chocobo as well - another yellow one.

"Kwark?" the other chocobo exclaimed in an asking tone.

"Kwa-ark!!" Boco replied.

Beatricia let out a charmed sigh. "Look! They like each other!"

"Yeah right", Gale said dryly. "The good thing in this is that we now know there has to be somebody around - no sane person would leave a healthy chocobo like this behind."

"I assume it's me you're talking about", said a cheery voice behind him.

Everybody turned to look at the man who had appeared out of nowhere. He was wearing a strawhat and brown overalls, but no shirt. The wide hat hid his eyes and nose, but a wide grin and longish bright orange hair were still visible.

"It's nice to have visitors in a time like this - and so many even. Ah, don't worry, I didn't drop down from the sky - I was back at the ranch doing some last minute packing. I'm the last one to leave - everybody else were driven away by the crops failure nearly a month ago. Oh, sorry folks for not introducing myself. Name's Chap, the local Chocobo Rancher. This beauty here is Jeune."

The young man walked to the yellow chocobo and patted it lovingly. "A true beauty, as I said, but a bit stubborn from time to time. She escaped just a moment ago - probably smelled your bird there. The males I keep at the stable don't rouse her interest."

"There are more?" Beatricia asked, breaking the ice. The others just looked at the man cautiously.

"Yeah", the man said, obviously thrilled that somebody else took interest in chocobos as well. "I own a total of eight birds. Come and see for yourselves if you're interested."

The Chocobo Rancher took Jeune the Chocobo's reins and walked to the direction he had come from. Gale looked at the others askingly, but when Beatricia rode after the man, he had no other choice but to lead everybody after her.

The ranch was located just outside the village. There was two buildings - smaller one was Chap's house and the larger was the stable - and an empty pen.

"Chubby Chocobo!" Chap cursed. "Where are they!?"

He pointed at the fence of the pen. It was broken.

"Where have all my babies gone to?!" Chap cried, falling to his knees. Beatricia descended Boco rapidly, and went to console him.

"Don't worry", she said softly. "We'll find them for you."

"Really?" Chap asked, wiping his eyes.

"But", Kaeli suddenly interrupted, stepping forward. "Only if you sell seven of them to us. We could use them in our journey."

"What?" Chap said astonished. "But... my chocobos are [I]unique[/I]! They are the only chocobo's that can fight - I've trained them to do so!"

"That only makes us want them more", Gale said, going along in Kaeli's scheme. Now he had no regrets for taking the girl along. "Sell the ones we find for us for a very generous price, or lose them for good. Take it or leave it."

"I guess I have no choice..." Chap said sadly. "But you'll take good care of them, will you?"

"Of course we will", Beatricia said, glaring angrily at Gale and Kaeli. "I will personally make certain of it."

"Fine. But please, bring them all to me first, so I can say goodbye to them before we separate. I should also describe the chocobos to you, just to make it easier for you to track them: [COLOR=Red]Ruby[/COLOR] is the spicy red one, and [COLOR=Black]Ebony[/COLOR] is the nasty black one. Those two might be the hardest to hold on to.[COLOR=White] Bianca[/COLOR] the white and [COLOR=Blue]Serene [/COLOR] the blue are both very calm. The green [COLOR=Green]Willow[/COLOR] and the orange [COLOR=Orange]Mandarin[/COLOR] are happy, if not a bit on the wild side. Those two are also the most fastest of the bunch. And finally there's [COLOR=DimGray]Donkey[/COLOR], the gloomy grey chocobo. But [COLOR=Yellow]Jeune[/COLOR], this yellow one here, is the most beautiful."

"Thanks. That helped us a lot", Gale said sincerely. "Now folks, let's gather! Biggs and Wedge, you take east, Cortez and Logan will take north, Kaeli and Aster head south, and I will go west with Serisay. Beatricia, you stay here with Chap, okay? As said, if you find any chocobos, bring them here to the ranch. Understood?"

Everybody nodded, divided into the pairs Gale had ordered them, and went their separate ways.

"That went smoothly", Gale said pleased to himself as Serisay walked to him. Apparently the others had approved him as the leader of the party.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

OOC: Time to go Chocobo Tracing! :D

FYI, here are the updated statistics:

[SIZE=1][B]Gale, the Mercenary (Sage)[/B]
Level: 6 - HP: 300 - MP: 30
[U]Weapon:[/U]
Gilventure (golden longsword)
Sword Art (use following moves using a sword):
*Slam - damage with stunning effect
*Power Break - decrease target's physical strength
*Armor Break - decrease target's defense against physical attacks
*Magic Break - decrease target's magical potency
*Mind Break - decrease target's resistance against magic
*Slash - damage all opponents with halved effect
*Rasp - damage target's MP
Paysword (boost attack by spending gil)
[U]Support Ability:[/U]
Counter Attack (retaliate when hit physically)

[B]Aster, the Dragoon (The (Sic) Shape)[/B]
Level 6 - HP: 350 - MP: 15
Kain's Lance (dark lance)
Jump (leap into air to avoid attacks and cause increased damage when landing)
Dragon Soul (tame a dragon and call it later to aid in battle)
War Cry (increase power and speed when HP is critically low)

[B]Logan, the Red Mage (inti)[/B]
Level 5 - HP: 225 - MP: 40
Blood Sabre (red sabre)
Red Magic (cast following offensive and defensive spells):
*Fire
*Blizzard
*Thunder
*Water
*Poison
*Doom
*Cure
*Barrier (Protect & Shell combined)
*Sleep
*Blind
*Silence
*Life
Magic Slot (use learned spells randomly with double power)
Element Eater (absorb fire-, ice- and thunder-elemental attacks)

[B]Biggs, the Gagdeteer (Zidargh)[/B]
Level 5 - HP: 250 - MP: 5
Mavericks (duel gloves)/Rifle (long range gun)
Blitz (perform combined attack using either gloves or a gun)
Go Wedge! (call Wedge to aid in battle)
Sentinel (sometimes Wedge comes to block enemy's attack)

[B]Wedge, the Droid (Zidargh)[/B]
Level 5 - HP: 300 - MP: 10
N/A
Rocket Fist (attack with blasting effect)
Recharge (restore HP & MP)
N/A

[B]Serisay, the Guardian (Cyriel)[/B]
Level 6 - HP: 325 - MP: 45
Twin Blades (two machete-type swords)
Paralyze (damage with stopping effect)
Mimic (copy the previous ally's attack)
N/A

[B]Cortez, the Thief (Jokopoko)[/B]
Level 5 - HP: 245 - MP: 10
Poison Daggers (knives with poisoned tips)
Steal (take items and gil from enemy)
Distract (lower target's accuracy)
Alert (avoid getting ambushed)

[B]Ascencia, the Fencer (Arcadia)[/B]
Briar Rose (thin rapier)
Lunge Art (perform special moves using a rapier)
Parry (increase evasion of attacks and spells)

[B]Kaeli, the Merchant (Wondershot)[/B]
Level 3 - HP: 180 - MP: 50
Vajra (gadget with thunder element)
Spare Change (throw gil at enemy to cause damage)
Dice (cause random damage based on a roll of dice)
Mix (combine items to make more effective one when party's situation is critical)

[B]Rakurai, the Fighter (Shanghai)[/B]
Level 6 - HP: 295 - MP: 40
Kali-Yuga (rod)
Rod Art (perform special moves using a rod)
Black Magic (cast elemental and status ailing spells)
Roar (decrease opponents' strength, speed and accuracy when HP is critical)

[B]Beatricia, the Healer (NPC)[/B]
Level 4 - HP: 220 - MP: 110
Dual Staff (white staff that can be divided into two shorter sticks)
Light Prayer (restore a little HP to all party members without spending MP)
Critical Barrier (automatically have protect- and shell-statuses when HP gets too low)[/SIZE]

"So, just why did you decide to go on this trip?" Kaeli asked, circling Aster while the two walked off in search of chocobos. Aster looked at this inappropriately cheerful girl, and replied.
"Why would you ask something like that?"
"Well, I don't know you very well...and I like to get to know people...and I want to know a bit about you, since we're friends now." Aster stopped and stared at her.
"I'm Aster, from Rosaria. I was on a missoin to capture the heir to the Mertonian throne, when I was forced to escape with Gale. Is that enough?" Kaeli looked at him for a minute, before replying cheerily:
"No."
Aster was a bit taken aback at this, and stared at her.
"Well, what else is there to say?"
"Why don't you tell me something you like about this trip? Why you like travelling with the rest of the group?"
"Because if I didn't, Rosarian hit men might track me down for siding with Gale."
"Well, there must be something you enjoy about travelling." Aster didn't reply, he had just about enough of this, when Kaeli cut herself off.
"Ooh! There's one!" She squealed, and the enormous black chocobo, [b]Ebony[/b], stared up at them. Kaeli put a finger up to her lips, and, with Aster, took a few cautious steps forward...

*Engaged in battle with Ebony!*

Kaeli: Lvl: 3 HP: 180 MP: 50
Commands: Attack, Spare Change, Dice, Mix, Item
Aster: Lvl: 6 HP: 350 MP: 15
Commands: Attack, Jump, Dragon Soul, War Cry

"I think I've got it!" Kaeli whispered confidentially to Aster, as she reached into her large cloak, pulling out something that looked like a massive, snow-white radish; a Gysahl Green. Grabbing it by it's leaves, she spun around once to gain some momentum, and threw the Green a little too hard, as it hit Ebony in the back of the head. Enraged, the chocobo took a run at Kaeli, and she screamed as she was blown back a few feet in a huge dust cloud. Aster picked up his lance, when Kaeli's voice reached him.
"Don't hurt it!" Aster rolled his eyes, and opted instead to Jump to distract the chocobo away from Kaeli. It didn't work too well, as the chocobo turned around and returned to it's initial target. Kaeli had already gotten up, and was fumbling around inside her cloak, looking for something. She looked up at the oncoming chocobo, and pulled out a pink silk bag, sealed with a string of silver stars and moons. As the chocobo closed in, the opened the bag and threw it's contents, a strange, shimmering pink powder, right in it's face. It blew past the powdery cloud, and then stopped dead in front of Kaeli. A moment later, it closed it's eyes, and it's knees bucked, as it fell to the ground, asleep. Aster landed back on the ground a moment later, and looked in astonishment at the asleep chocobo.

*End Battle! 100 exp gained*
*Kaeli is now level 4! HP: 210 MP: 65*

"A bit of Sleep Powder, see?" Kaeli said, obviously pleased with herself as she looked at the unconscious chocobo.
"Well, how are we going to get it back now?" Aster said, Kaeli smiled at him.
"You're going to carry it." She said, in a matter-of-factly tone. Aster was taken aback.
"What? Why should I carry it?"
"Because I did all the work, and that Sleep Powder costs 300 gil, would you rather pay for that?"
"But...but you threw it!"
"You still did nothing at all to help, so the responsibility of getting it back, rests squarely with you." Aster stared at this young girl, who smiled in return.
"Don't worry, if I find one, I'll take it back myself, ok? And if you find one..." She pulled another huge Gysahl Green out of her cloak.
"Use this to make it friendlier, but don't hit it with it." She added, almost as an afterthought. Aster started to walk away, and she added:
"If you use it, though, It's 100 gil!"

OOC: Here's something that I know some of you have been waiting for: the cast of this game - drawn, inked and colored (and even scanned!) by me!

I tried to base them to the descriptions each of you gave at the recruitment-thread, but you understand that artistic liberty took place in some details. ;)

I hope these will inspire everybody to continue - you wouldn't want this work to go to waste, would you? :toothy:

PS. I know I should continue the story, but I'm hoping everybody would deepen their characters at this point, when were doing the out-of-nowhere sidequest. ;)

[font=book antiqua] Leaning on the stable wall, Biggs watched Wedge play around with a stray tumbleweed that blowed around with the wind. The sun was high and the sky was cloudless, a lovely day to be out and about in. However, Biggs needed some shade before they set out and so he rested for a couple of minutes.

"Wedge... What are you doing?" Biggs asked in curiosity while Wedge waddled at a fast pace in circles to try and catch the tumbleweed.

"I'm practicing my Chocobo-catching skills Master Biggs, they are progressing successfully." Wedge replied, patiently chasing the tumbleweed,

"I'm sure." Biggs replied with a raised eyebrow.

As time passed, Biggs was about to doze off from listening to the little footsteps Wedge was making as the repetitive nature of the sound became soothing. This was all well and good until the silence around the stable was interrupted by a loud "Kwark!"

"What the!?" Biggs shouted, startled.

Wedge stopped running and looked at the hill that obstructed their view. "By the sounds of it, it's a chocobo!"

The two regrouped at the bottom of the hill and began to ascend it, scurrying as fast as they could. Upon reaching the top, they looked down the steep edge of the hill to witness a white-feathered chocobo trotting around as it graze at random intervals.

Wedge dived to the ground and a ploom of dust swept over him. He then slowly crawled to the edge of the hill and peered down. "From our previous descriptions, this one appears to be Bianca, Master Biggs."

"Excellent!" Wedge bent down on one knee, also peering over the hill as he rubbed his hands together. "Let's get it!"

"Wait Master Biggs. This one was said to be very calm, but that would make it wise. I doubt it's going to be very simple." Wedge spoke, constantly watching the bird.

"Ridiculous. On my wa--!!" Biggs stood up and then jumped from the steep edged hill, aiming directly for the back of the white chocobo. On his way down, he roared in excitement causing the bird to look directly at him. Suddenly, it charged off, leaving Biggs nothing to fall on but dust and grass. With a crash, Biggs landed and Wedge looked down, laughing his automatic head off.

Regaining his ground, Biggs brushed himself down, frowning. He then stood with his right hand's index finger tapping himself on the head as he thought. Finally, he had created the best plan.

"Right, Wedge, get down here." Biggs commanded.

"Right away!" Wedge shouted as he hovered down to his friend.

"Okay, here's the plan. As this one's calm, all we have to do is sneak up on it right? Well, you chase it down to me as I wait on the ground, covered in dust. Then, I'll jump up and we both attack it in a pincer formation." Biggs explained, but in fact, Wedge was one step ahead of him, waddling off after the bird only to begin to chase it.

"You there!" Wedge pointed at the bird which reacted by charging off to Biggs's direction. "Come here!"

"Not yet! No, not yet!" Biggs called out in desperation as he tried to dig himself a hole. But the chocobo kept running as if nothing was obstructing it. Eventually, the bird reached the head of the gadgeteer and then all of sudden, tripped over on a stick in front of his head. As the chocobo was flung over the petrified gadgeteer, Wedge placed his hands on his hips and laughed once more. The chocobo had fallen unconscious in shock while Biggs was still completely frozen.

"Another job well done by the 'B&W Duo'!" Wedge shouted.[/font]

OOC: Excellent drawings Sage. Biggs was really well done, as was Wedge. I'll edit this ppor quality post when I have more time today.

As she made her way towards Gale, she glanced quickly at Beatricia, who was petting the yellow chocobo. But her hands remained empty of her weapons; guilt weighed them down like lead. Instead, she turned to Gale, who was waiting, shading his eyes with his hands. "Well, Sir Gale, shall we start?"

He laughed, "Hey, no formalities please. Just 'Gale' will do fine." She shrugged, and then turned away, leading out of the ranch towards some dense thickets. He followed, wondering what had made her cold all of a sudden. He no longer felt the companionable warmth of earlier, when she had chosen to follow them. Instead, Serisay was troubled again; he wondered about these sudden mood changes... Was she plotting something?

Suddenly Serisay raised her hand, calling for a halt. Gale stopped immediately, and then looked in the direction she was pointing in: some bright orange feathers were caught on a thicket...and there was something moving beyond the first line of trees. Gale slowly circled around, stalking the twitchy chocobo, and Serisay did the same, going around the other side. The gold in her hair glinted in the sun, but then disappeared as she went into the undergrowth and shade.

Crouching, moving silently until she could see the chocobo, she recognized it as [COLOR=DarkOrange]Mandarin[/COLOR], and waited for Gale to make the first move. But suddenly, it seemed to realize that something was there, and then quickly picked them out of the foliage.

*Engaged in battle with Mandarin!*
[U]Party:[/U]
Gale - level 6 - HP: 300 - MP: 30 - Sword Art, Paysword
Serisay - level: 6 - HP: 325 - MP: 45 - Paralyze, Mimic

[I]Gale jumped out to make sure it didn't escape; Serisay almost thought of warning against it - would the chocobo get angry? But instead, it seemed to like the challenge, and was just about to take off, when Serisay stepped out. The golden trinkets in her hair chimed, and Mandarin stopped, eyeing them. It was almost as if...he [I]liked[/I] them. But that didn't stop him; he prepared to race off again...[/I]

[FONT=Century][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
[I]Gale observed the hyper-active orange bird carefully. It would make its move any moment...

"Kweh!!" Mandarin the Chocobo squeaked and dashed to a run towards Serisay.

"Seize it!" Gale shouted at the girl. Serisay spread her arms, blocking the birds way.

But the bird didn't even try to go around her - it aimed to her hair.

"Hey!?" Serisay yelped. Gale couldn't help to chuckle at the situation. The chocobo was eating Serisay's hair ornaments. The woman's face flushed with anger, and she lifted the other of her blades up threateningly. "If you don't release my hair at this very second, I'll..."

"Caught it!" Gale shouted victoriously, as he jumped on the orange bird from behind.[/I]

*Battle won! No experience or gil gained! Gained Chocobo Feather x1!*

"Good tactic!" Gale said smiling to Serisay when she was pulling her hair out of Mandarin's beak. "Maybe we can use it for another one? Just kidding! Now let's take this fellow back to Chap and go find another one."

Serisay mounted the chocobo as well, and they rode back to the stables, where Chap was waiting. Two other chocobos - the black one and the white one - had also been brought back.

"Goodbye my precious birdies!" Chap bawled. "May the world treat you well!"

"We're not done yet", Gale said, trying to sound as consoling as he could. "We still lack four chocobos."

Gale and Serisay left the sobbing Chocobo Rancher and headed back west to look for another.

After ten minutes wandering in the barren fields they heart rattle from a pile of yellow hay.

"Hush! There's another one!" Gale hissed to Serisay, receiving a scournful glance for his obviousness. Gale pointed her to circle the bush from the opposite direction. As they made it around the hay, they were assaulted by the red chocobo, Ruby.

"Yeowch!" Gale exclaimed as he received the chocobo's footprint at her forehead.

"It's getting away!" Serisay yelled, dashing after the bird. "Come on!"

Gale quickly rose from the ground, following her. They tried to capture it, but whenever they got too close, it rewarded them with a nasty kick or a peck.

"It's no use!" Gale shouted exhaustedly to Serisay. "It won't let itself be captured! We have to herd it to the stables."

Serisay nodded. She looked less tired than Gale, but she was seemingly frustrated.

With one final chase they managed to direct the bird back home. Once Ruby was safely back inside the pen, Gale collapsed to the nearest hay-pile, wiping off sweat. Serisay remained standing next to him.

"How can you bare all that running?" Gale asked her, amazed by her endurance.

"Well, in Arcane Academy of War Arts we begin our day with a refreshing run around the city", the woman said like it was nothing out of the ordinary.

"Oh", Gale said after a moment, not knowing what else to say.[/COLOR][/FONT]

OOC: Three chocobos left to catch: the blue Serene, the green Willow and the grey Donkey.

• 2 weeks later...
OOC: This is worth another go, don't you all think?

Kaeli stared with some interest at the miles of free-roaming plains around her. If it wasn't so green outside, she would have immediately assumed that she had gotten herself lost in the deserts of her homeland. A cool breeze rushed by har as she sat down to relax for a moment before continuing the hunt. She had decided to join this crew of adventurers, and it was also very fun, being able to meet people and get to know them...Aster and Gale seemed to be a bit too serious for hewr, but she found herself thinking about Biggs every so often. He seemed quite nice, and also very clever, having created the machina Wedge, who she found herself trying to get a bit more used to. Nevertheless, she ythought as she lay back to stare at the sky, why had she decided to come along? Was she really that lonely without Rin there for her? Or was she repaying them for helping her? Was she trying to do what Rin told her, establishing a bond with her customers?

No, it seemed a lot simpler than that...they were her friends now, so she just wanted to go on a journey with them. She wasn't really expecting anything big out of it...just that she had made some new friends, and it gave her a nice feeling which she wanted to keep close to her. She felt herself dozing off, but then Rin's sharp voice penetrated her thoughts, and she snapped back upright...except that it wasn't Rin's voice...it was...mechanical.

Kaeli looked to here right just in time to see a large green choco, Willow, dashe forward and jump over her head, not too far behind was the mechanical Wedge, shouting something loudly and chasing after the chocobo, before tripping and landing on Kaeli, that is. Kaeli gasped, winded, as Biggs ran up and helped Wedge get off her.
"Oh! Are you all right?" Biggs asked, somewhat overly concerned, as Kaeli caught her breath, inhaling deeply.
"I'm fine..." She seemed to exhale rather than reply, and took another deep breath before getting to her feet, wobbly. Biggs helped her keep her balance, and she looked, albeit with some disgust, as the chocobo, now all riled up, began running in circles.
"You'll never catch a chocobo like that!" She said, perhaps a bit too loudly, as Biggs recoiled slightly...
"Well, it worked before." Wedge announced, snickering slightly. Kaeli looked up, and picked the Gysahl Green off the ground.
"Here." She said, handing it to Wedge. "How far do you think you can throw this?" Wedge replied by wrenching the green out of her hand, and hurling it an amazing distance with it's mechanical arm. The green landed near Willow, who proceeded to munch on it with delight, facing away from Kaeli, Biggs and Wedge. The three looked at each other for a moment before racing as quickly as they could to get to the chocobo before it finished. They all jumped, and Kaeli got it by the neck, Biggs caught a leg, and Wegde sat on top. The chocobo, not so spooked as it was excited, proceeded to start runninng in circles again, kicking up huge clouds of dust. Kaeli screamed, not having a very good grip on the choco, and Biggs coughed and choked, Wedge, reaching up with one hand, raised it up as though preparing to punch it, but then, reached down calmly and proceeded to scratch the back of its head. Willow stopped almost instantly, and began to relax, as Wedge continued to stroke it lightly.Kaeli got up, pulling feathers out of her hear and clothes, and Biggs was so covered with dust that he was barely recognizable. The two of them looked at each other, before giving each other huge grins.
"We scored another Chocobo!" Kaeli cheered, giving Biggs a high-five. Biggs tried to clear the dirt from his clothes, and grinned up.
"I think we've done some good hunting for today, shall we take it back?" Biggs asked, sticking out an arm, which Kaeli accepted.
"Let's!" She replied, using her other hand to take the chocobo by the back of the head, as the three headed back towards the ranch...

OOC: Aren't there three chocobos left? Serene, Donkey, and Bianca, or am I mistaken?

[I]Is this Gale seriously the son of the Queen?[/I] Glancing sideways at him, Serisay bit her lip in puzzlement, dropping her gaze when he noticed she was looking at him. He said nothing, though, but she could see a slight blush creep up his face. [I]It's almost...disappointing, I think. I was expecting more. Perhaps I'm being too critical of him - after all, he wasn't raised as a Prince, I suppose. Still...if I chose to complete my given task, they would be no challenge to defeat, except perhaps the machine.[/I] Gale still sat in the hay, his breath slowly returning to its normal pace. Again puzzlement came to Serisay's expression. [I]Why would he be appointed to guard Beatricia? After all, he failed at guarding his mother against my sister - he would have been condemned to death in the Arcane. He can't even keep up with me - it's no surprise he failed at defeating Sade... But why did she not kill him? I wonder...is she losing her skill?[/I]

Suddenly, the sound of laughter and machinery became evident to her, "...Gale, I believe that some of your comrades are returning." He stood just as Kaeli, Biggs, and Wedge came into sight, leading the now-docile Willow.

Chap burst out to greet them, tears running down his face, "Oh, my poor chocobo! What have they done to you? Your feathers - !" Kaeli squirmed, and Serisay noticed that there were still a few green feathers in her hair. Biggs was almost unrecognizable under the huge amount of dust and dirt he had accumulated; only Wedge looked perfectly normal, but she didn't really know how much his appearance would vary. Chap kept running his hands over the chocobo, sobbing anew as he thought of the prospect of selling his precious "babies."

She tried to bite her tongue, but her irritation got to her. "Rancher, collect yourself. The bird will live without a few feathers," she said shortly, before she could stop herself. Chap froze in shock at her curt words. The others looked warily at her, aware of her shifting mood. Sensing their unease, she abruptly left without saying anything, leaving them staring at her in surprise.

Sighing, she brushed her fingers through her hair, the gentle chime soothing her annoyance. [I]Why am I acting like this? Even though he is just a commoner, the rancher deserves my thanks - not my contempt. Why am I letting my emotions dictate my actions?[/I] Her frustration heightened, and her fingers flexed, itching to find some purpose to fulfill. Her patience was already on edge, and was fraying more with each minute passing, and she had never had a tolerance for whining. Her stride was quick and staccato, matching the turmoil she felt at the moment.

Suddenly she came upon Logan and Cortez, both of whom were a bit disheveled. Taking in their appearances, she rightly guessed that they were having a bit of difficulty in catching a chocobo. "Are you having trouble with the birds?" she asked. Without giving either of them the chance to answer, she strode purposefully past them, "I will aid you. Hurry." Her tone really left no room for argument, and they had bewildered expressions on their faces before they cautiously followed her.

[font=century][color=royalblue]
The wheel of the sun was descending towards the western horizon when Serisay, Logan and Cortez finally arrived with the blue chocobo Serene.

?We found this one from a small stream long way southwards from here?, Serisay told to the others. She pointed at Cortez, who was soaking wet. ?His first attempt to catch this bird went literally down to the drain.?

Cortez looked even more sinister than usually, so everybody tried to cover their amusement - many of them failing miserably.

Gale turned to Chap, who attached harness to Serene while wiping away tears.
?Was this the last??

?Umm... Yes, this was the last! You should get going now, I mean right this moment. Night is falling rapidly, and Camelot is a darn long away.?

The rancher nodded his head a bit too enthusiastic to Gale?s opinion. He stared at the youngster suspiciously.
?Didn?t you say that you had eight chocobos? I only see seven. Where?s the grey one you mentioned, Donkey??

?Oh, he... died. Yes, he was very old, that poor thing. Now, you should get going...?

?When did that happen?!? Beatricia asked in disbelief. ?I was with you the whole time!?

Sweat started dripping from the forehead of the rancher. He twisted his hands nervously. ?Uh...?

Suddenly a loud ?kwark? echoed in the air.
?It came from the stables?, Cortez said, dashing inside the large building. The others followed him quickly. All of them scattered to search the interior of the stable, while Chap remained at the doorway. Another ?kwark? came from the back.

?Here he is!? Cortez hollered. And indeed, there at the back of the stables, half covered to a stack of hay stood an extraordinary chocobo with ash-grey feathers and two floppy ears. Donkey kwarked happily when he saw so many people giving him their full attention. Cortez grabbed the weird bird by its plumage and escorted it outside, followed by the rest of the bunch.

?Cheater?, Kaeli hissed to Chap when she passed him on the door. Others gave the chocobo rancher despiteful glares as well.

When Gale reached him, he began explaining.
?I didn?t mean to trick you, sir! I just don?t want to give my precious birdies away, you understand? I?ve raised them all with my own hands...?

Gale put his hand on the youngster?s shoulder consolingly.
?No need to explain, Chap. It?s hard to give up things you love, I know. But I promise you we?ll take excellent care of your chocobos.?

?Thank you, sir?, Chap muttered.

When Gale stepped out of the stables, Logan walked to him.
?Geez, you?re really getting soft, Gale!? the mage smirked. ?It must be the company of other people that?s doing this to you.?
?Yes, I?m beginning to think about taking one of these birds and running as far from here as the bird can carry me?, Gale murmured dryly.

But he knew his old friend was right. This journey was changing him already, even though it had only lasted one day. Then he pushed these thoughts out of his mind, and stepped back to his role as a leader. He stepped onto a pack of hay so that everybody could see him.

?Alright, people, gather around. And take those big chickens with you as well. We?re going to decide who gets which now.?

Now Gale had a perfect view of his little army: seven people from all walks of life, a walky-talky machine and a moogle, and eight chocobos of different colors.

Chap had appeared next to him, holding the harness of his favorite chocobo, the yellow Jeune.

?I don?t know if I told you this yet -?, the Chocobo Rancher said, with a new hint of pride in his voice. ?- but I?ve taught my chocobos some skills so they can fend for themselves. Ruby can shoot small flames from his beak, and Bianca can do the same with icicles. Ebony can blow a blinding cloud at her foes, and Serene has a supersonic shriek that prevents spellcasting.?

?Sounds like magic to me?, Logan said a bit surprised that a bunch of birds had same talents as him.

?That?s not all. Willow?s spit is poisonous, so be extra careful with his beak. Mandarin is the fastest of them all, and she can do a nasty double-kick with a whirl. Then there?s Donkey, who has great psychic powers, but he?s too darn stubborn to use them when asked.?

Everybody was quite impressed of Chap?s training skills, but he acted modest. ?Just thought you should know...?

Gale thanked Chap yet again, and then distributed the chocobos. Beatricia wanted to ride the loyal Boco, and Gale didn?t start to argue with her. Aster got the fiery Ruby, and Cortez wanted Ebony to match his dark outfit. Logan took Serene, and Biggs and Wedge got the green Willow. Kaeli choose the enthusiastic Mandarin, and Serisay got the noble-looking Bianca. That meant that Gale was left with the stubborn Donkey.

?Do you think it?s wise to ride to the Misty Moors this late?? Aster inquired Gale, as he was attaching Gilventure?s sheath to the harness. Gale gazed to the darkening sky. The full moon was rising towards the zenith already.

?Maybe you?re right. We can rest here this night...?

Gale?s eyes widened as he saw a shadow passing the disc of the moon. He recognized that shadow too well ? not even a day had passed when he?d seen it last.

?Forty fiery fiends!? he cursed. ?Sudden change of plans, everybody! We?re leaving [i]right now[/i]!?

?What? Why??? Aster asked confused.

?The Waltzes have found us!? Gale shouted, jumping on Donkey?s back.
[/color][/font]

OOC: Back again! Hopefully this post will be enough to revive this game. Let?s all aim to that, alright? ;)

Oh, and in case somebody wonders, Waltzes were the black-robed, raven-winged monsters the Queen sent to track Gale and Beatricia earlier in the game. Yes, they?re practically snatched from FF9. :toothy: The Waltzes are supposed to be extremely tough to defeat because their great potency in magic, but we?ve gathered a party of eight (riding chocobos who can fight), so I think we?ll survive. ;)

[size=1]OOC: Hey-ho! I'm back for three days! Family trip away and I'm left all on my lonesome...(yes!) I'll try and make the most of it.
[color=darkslateblue]
IC:
[i]Hmm...so Serene stops magic with a high pitched screech? I hope her magic has no effect to my own spellcasting[/i], thought the red mage, running his fingers through the blue chocobo's feathers before attempting to leap astride her in one bound. Of course, it didn't work.
Logan ended up catching his front leg on Serene's side and he went flying over, only to land on his face.
Once he got up and dusted himself off, he looked over and saw Beatricia whispering something to Kaeli and both giggled behind their hands. Logan went as red as his coat.
Something, a shadow over the rising moon, caught his eye.
[i]I hope it's not what I think it is...[/i] he spoke silently.
He looked over to Gale, who was speaking with Aster.
?Maybe you?re right. We can rest here this night...? he was saying, but stopped. His head shot up to where the shadow passed over the moon.
He said something under his breath and snapped around to face the group. ?Sudden change of plans, everybody! We?re leaving right now!?
?What? Why?? someone said, but Logan already knew why and didn't hear who said it. He stuck his heels into Serene's sides and started off in the direction of the Misty Moors.
Logan just picked up what Gale was shouting, back from the barn. ?The Waltzes have found us!?

The eight mismatched chocobos and their equally strange riders rushed across the country, through grass and across wide open patches of bare earth.
It was getting dark and the chocobos seemed to notice the groups' fear, and they slowed down a little, getting more nervous by the minute. They were unsure of what could be so scary as to spook the band of riders, and were scared there might be a chocobo eating fiend nearby.
"Gale! The chocobos look freaked out a little, maybe we should stop!" Logan called back to the young man astride Donkey, "There's no point in going much further until they calm down or they'll split up and run in every which way possible!"
"Just keep going a little further! We'll stop as soon as we hit the Moors! We'll be safer there!" Gale shouted as loud as he could.
[i]Wrong choice, my friend...wrong choice...[/i] Logan knew something bad would happen. It always did. It happened in strings of bad events, all leading to something worse.
If it really was a Waltz that was headed for them, surely it would sense their combined strength? Surely it must have some other plan. Maybe there were more Waltzes, and this one was chasing the group into a trap?
There was a flash in front of Logan's eyes, and Serene stopped. She lifted a leg and pointed to the Misty Moors, revealing a line of black shadows, each with huge black feathered wings and old pointed mage hats. There were eight of them, all together, not counting the one already chasing the group.
Donkey had stopped running too, probably the one who had shown the trap awaiting the riders, and stood next to Serene and Logan. Gale saw the same thing.
[i]...uh-oh[/i]
"Gale, there's a slight problem with our original change of plan. Maybe we could take a detour?"
"No. We must push on. If we can break through the line, we'll be safe enough." Gale dismissed Logan's worry with teh wave of a hand.
All of the chocobos had stopped now, and everyone looked to Gale for their next instruction.
"We continue. Keep going until we're all at least 100 yards from the line, there we'll have to continue as a tight group, we don't want to lose anyone." he ordered.
[i]WHAT?![/i], Logan thought. Aloud he said "No. No way am I rushing headfirst at a line of black Waltzes. They've got to have more to the trap than a single line. They're more organised than you are, so someone's controlling them. I'll meet you 100 yards in, but there's no way I'm going at that line to try and break through."
With that, Logan turned Serene and broke away from the group, seeking out a way around.
"If I'm not there, I'll see you later then!" he was heard calling back to them.
Some started to protest, but Gale could see there was no changing the stubborn red mage's mind.

"Serene, do you feel any strong magic nearby?" Logan asked his chocobo companion.
She gave a loud 'kweh!' which he supposed meant yes.
It was almost pitch black now, so Logan cast a quick fire spell in one of his hands, keeping the fireball small, but letting it give off enough light to see with.
Something jumped.

*Engaged in battle with Wild Thief!*
[u]Party:[/u]
Logan - Level 5 - HP: 225 - MP: 40 - Red Magic, Magic Slot
Serene - Level 5 - HP: 550 - MP: 80 - Attack, Silence

The thief had jumped out of nowhere, so obviously had a clear advantage and dealt the first blow, hitting Serene with a jump kick and launching back off into the air. He landed a few feet away, then ran at Logan and Serene as if there were no tomorrow. He pulled out a strange knife, double ended, and twirled it like a baton, smashing and slicing at Logan, who took a number of deep cuts to his sword arm.
Logan slid off Serene and cast Cure, recovering all lost HP, then cast Barrier on first Serene, then himself. Pulling out his sabre, he swiftly struck out at the wild man with a straight aim. This blow caught the man on his shoulder, shaking him a little, sending a small spray of blood into the darkness.
The Wild Thief began muttering words, a spell of some sort, but Serene was quick to cast silence with her ear piercing screeching. Logan launched a Water spell, then followed up with Thunder, which was doubly potent.
"Stop! Please! Just stop!" the man cried.
"Fine, have it your way..." Logan sheathed his sword.

*End of Battle. 33 EXP gained, 20 gil gained, gained Potion*[/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
"Hm, well, how do you suppose we stop them?" Kaeli asked curiously to Gale, as she knew almost nothing about fighting. The warrior looked at her with some indignation, and replied:
"Well, we now have these chocobos with us, so we can certainly stand a fighting chance now..." Gale began, but was cut off by Kaeli, who seemed to be laughing quietly to herself.
"What's so funny?" Gale demanded, incredulous, as Kaeli looked up at him, eyes glimmering.
"Well, there must be a few of them...and I sure have no idea about fighting monsters...so...maybe this isn't the best plan?" Gale slapped his forehead, and Kaeli grinned with embarrasment.
"Logan's not here any longer, without Serene to block the Waltzes Magic, our chances of survival are dramatically thinned...or so I'm guessing." Aster said with a slight note of dismay, and Gale looked around at the group.
"We still have more than enough!" Kaeli looked up again.
"Well, wouldn't you suggest some kind of tactic?" Kaeli asked sheepishly, but Gale growled at her...before realizing something important...

[i]Kaeli wasn't with us when we escaped...the Waltzes wouldn't recongize her as an enemy...[/i]

Gale leaned in close next to Biggs, and began whispering something in his ear. Biggs nodded comprehensively, and looked at Kaeli.
"Do you have any 'Smoke Bomb' on you now?" Biggs asked, and Kaeli pulled a tiny black orb out of her vest.
"For you, 50 gil apiece." Biggs stared at her, slack-jawed, and she laughed.
"I was kidding! Sure..." Kaeli handed Biggs the black orb, and he turned around, beginning to tinker with it. Gale looked at Kaeli.
"You know what you're going to do?" Gale demanded, and Kaeli grinned sheepishly.
"...Whatever plan you have sounds good..."

The earth trembled slightly with each series of footsteps in unison, and several small animals raced off in different directions to shake off the rumbling of the ground. The line of Waltzes advanced menacingly forwards, creating a shadowly presence throughout the area, like a dark force of nature. The Waltzes, slightly perturbed by a new presence, halted, also in unison, and stared up the hill at a lone figure in a bright cloak, riding on a fiery orange Chocobo...
Kaeli took a look at the line of large Waltzes on the hillside, and whistled lowly to herself, absently stroking Mandarin's head. She felt the tiny device under her cloak, would this plan work? She stroked the machine gently, and looked down at the Waltzes, as huge black wings sprouted from their backs, as a sign of menace. All of them began charging up various elemental spells, and Kaeli threw her cloak open to reveal a strange sphere-like machina, which appeared to be composed of multiple Smoke Bombs. Hurling the device high into the air, she took a deep breath and reared Mandarin way up, and, as the sphere came down, Mandarin unleashed his devastating roundhouse-double, and the second blow sent the machina hurtling like a shooting star at the line of Waltzes. As it got close, the machina seemed to explode, and hurled the Smoke Bombs in all directions, each one now letting out blinding clouds of grey smoke, which hung in the air like fog. Withing seconds, the entire hillside was covered in a milky fog, completely impenetrable. Kaeli smiled with satisfaction, and turned around, fingers to her mouth, and let out a shrill whistle which riled up all the chocobo.
"Break through!" Gale roared as their line of force rushed the now-blind Waltzes. Each memeber, Gale in the lead, pierced the thick white fog, and the sounds of combat and confusion were heard from within, as bolts of multiple elements raged out in all directions from inside the sphere of fog...

[size=1]The walls of her mother's manor had proved to be entirely too suffocating to Ascencia and though try as she might, the only peace she could find on the entire estate was in the family's private temple. It was a small thing, but it was beautiful to the fencer, and she adored every little moment of peace it brought her.

She sat at the altar now, bent over in reverence to her beloved Goddess, and prayed swiftly but quietly. Her eyes were shut tight and her clasped hands were white with tension once again. [i]Give me your strength, Goddess. Infuse me with your love. I am in great need of it. I fear this woman will make me insane - help me to right all the wrongs...[/i] The familiar burden of her royal blood was weighing in once again and not for the first time Ascencia wondered why she was ever born to take such a role in the first place. She knew, however, that there was a purpose in all things and despite all odds, the end would be a good one. And that was something she believed in whole heartedly.

Eventually the scarlet haired woman found solace in her meditation and she sighed deeply before rising to her feet. The altar before her was so lovingly crafted and always adorned with fresh roses - an offering, of sorts. Sometimes just to look at it brought serenity to her heart. A small smile pulled on her lips and she bowed her head in respect before turning and heading for the door. On the way out, she collected her rapier.

Instead of returning to the manor, however, Ascencia stopped at the stables and collected her faithful chocobo before making for the outskirts of her mother's property. The guards there were always preferable to the ones inside the house, and tonight Ascencia would rather stay out and keep watch than come within any close proximity to the Lady Blanche, for fear that the woman would have more to say. And she [i]always[/i] had more to say.

"Lady Ascencia," the Captain of the look-out gave her a quick bow and a big grin - the Liaison's appearance here was frequent and most knew why. "I trust your journey home was safe?"

Ascencia smiled and nodded an affirmative as she slid out of the chocobo's saddle. She gave the giant bird a gentle scratch on its neck, to which it responded with a happy sounding chirp. "As well as one would hope."

"Too bad the welcoming committee wasn't much," one of the other guards ventured, barely hiding his smirk behind his collar. The Captain made to hit him over the head, but Ascencia simply laughed and waved for him to stop.

"I'm afraid I'm quite used to it," she shrugged, still smiling. "Had it gone differently I would wonder what happened to my real mother." The guards laughed and Ascencia appeared to share in the humor. After a few further inquiries about her most recent trip away, she took a seat a good distance away and let her eyes drift with the thick fog. The moors were always their worst at night - there was no telling what you could find out in the dark.[/size]