OtakuBoards

Probot

Semjaza

Probot is something that was rumored for awhile, but I don't know if anyone had heard of it. Basically it was to be Dave Grohl's metal album. Most should be familiar with him thanks to his involvement with Nirvana and his headlining the Foo Fighters... plus drumming on the latest Queens of the Stone Age album.

[CENTER][IMG]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00012M5S2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Basically, Grohl wrote a bunch of songs and sent them off to his favorite metal-ish vocalists (mostly from the 80s to early 90s) so they could sing for them. Grohl also had some extra help from random other band members to fully realize the instrumentals on the tracks. Grohl plays drums on each of them.

I don't know how many people will be into this considering it does sound like 80s metal overall. I think it's pretty damn good though and I like the fact that each song sounds related, yet so different because of the vocals. Some of them vocalists are very easily recognized... especially Lemmy from Motörhead on the third track. If you know Motörhead at all, you'll recognize him instantly.

Here's the track listing. The vocalist and band he is from is listed in the parentheses.

1. Centuries Of Sin ( W/ Cronos / Venom)
2. Red War ( W/ Max Cavalera / Soulfly, Sepultura)
3. Shake Your Blood ( W/ Lemmy / Motörhead)
4. Access Babylon ( W/ Mike Dean / C.O.C.)
5. Silent Spring ( W/ Kurt Brecht / D.R.I.)
6. Ice Cold Man ( W/ Lee Dorrian / Cathedral / Napalm Death)
7. The Emerald Law ( W/ Wino / Place Of Skulls / The Obsessed)
8. Big Sky ( W/ Tom G. Warrior / Celtic Frost)
9. Dictatorsaurus ( W/ Snake / Voïvod)
10. My Tortured Soul ( W/ Eric Wagner / Trouble)
11. Sweet Dreams ( W/ King Diamond / Mercyful Fate)

So I recommend checking out if you know any of these bands... or if you're interested in some music of that type. Hopefully some others here have heard this before.

Dude i love probot. It has all the great vocalists of all time like Leemy from motorhead. Max from sepultura. Snake. Do i have to go on. I love the single that was released Skake Your Blood and once again of dave's fanastic drumming. :cool:

Probot is amazing, I dont know what much else there is to be said about it at the moment besides the fact taht I am glad to see that Dave will be doing some drums for a band that has a harder sound.

And for the record Probot is not exactly "Dave Ghrol's metal album", Probot is a band. Kinda like how Andrew W.K. is a band and not just Andrew W.K. oddly enoughAndrew W.K. also tries to get old Metal heads from years past and get them to play with him as well.

I need to keep in touch better, I heard about this but didn't know anything about it being released. When did it come out?

All of this retro/nostalgia music is starting to be a bit much, but this definitely sounds cool. Grohl is one of the last people of the 90's rock scene that is still interesting.

Ah, remember when Pearl Jam was good?

[QUOTE=satan665]I need to keep in touch better, I heard about this but didn't know anything about it being released. When did it come out?

All of this retro/nostalgia music is starting to be a bit much, but this definitely sounds cool. Grohl is one of the last people of the 90's rock scene that is still interesting.

Ah, remember when Pearl Jam was good?[/QUOTE]

Remember when they released their latest CD riot act? It is basicly a bunch o B sides that finally got released. They are all decent songs, so dont say remember when pearl jam WAS still good. But you could definatly say remember when Pearl Jam was better?

[color=indigo]I heard rumors about this album awhile ago but I never really bothered looking into to it...Dave Grohl is a phenomenal musician though so I am sure the album (at the very least) pretty decent (despite Lemmy recording vocals for the album, boy do I ever hate Lemmy).

PS...Tom G Warrior...I haven't heard that name in awhile. My friends and I listened to "Into the Pandemonium" quite a bit when I started college, actually it was ritual for us to get absolutley hammered and run around the dorm ripping off dry-erase boards and smashing them over our heads to Inner Sanctum. Kids, don't drink...it is a foul habit[/color]

[quote name='satan665']I need to keep in touch better, I heard about this but didn't know anything about it being released. When did it come out?[/quote]

This past February. I think the tenth.

[quote name='satan665']Ah, remember when Pearl Jam was good?[/quote]

No. I do remember when they sucked less though.

[spoiler]Heh. I've never liked Pearl Jam.[/spoiler]

[font=gothic][color=darkslategray]Yeah, I thought Probot was pretty good, but my god do a few of the songs get repetive quickly. Mainly the first two tracks, but I found I couldn't listen to them more than three or four times without becoming rather bored with the entire thing. But then, I'm not really that much of a metal fan (yet), due in main to the horrible Australian metal scene.[/font][/color]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=DarkGreen]I bought a Revolver magazine a while back with Grohl on the cover wearing a Motörhead t-shirt. Inside they had a interveiw with him about why he wanted to do Probot and whatnot and told about how he wanted different artists to do the vocals and stuff. I thought Probot sounded a little stupid at first (just thinking about Foo Fighters, I don't really like their songs, kinda annoying, but Nirvana was great.), then after reading the interveiw and whatnot, I decided that if I see the cd anywhere I would pick it up. I like metal and this album seems to be good for me. I really want to get the cd to see what it sounds like and stuff, but I'm broke for the time being, so o-well. I grew up on 80's and early 90's music, seeing as how my dad always played 70's and 80's music, and seeing as how I had access to MTV and whatnot when I was younger. My taste for metal wasn't really developed yet, so I wasn't really into things when I was younger, but now I love it. Well, I guess that's it.

*thinks of ways to get money for cd's*[/COLOR][/FONT]