OtakuBoards

Social clashes--online vs offline

Godelsensei

[B]On the internet.[/B]
well, I classify myself as the careful watcher. I never make good friends on the internet, not because I'm afraid or anything...I just never stand out enough for people to bother to become friends with me. I read far more posts than I reply to, althugh quite a few people do that. I only reply to things that realy interest me, in whatever wierd and wacky way I feel like...*woot- alliteration!!!*
Yeah...like that. I always make comments on my comments.
I also post my opinions on artwork, as I...well, like to.
I just try to step lightly here, in case I'm doing something wrong. This is the largest forum I've been in, and it is extremely complicated to me. I would join in some of the roleplays, which is one of my passions, apart from the fact that I'm not quite sure how it works here. I also don't have much time on the internet anymore, and I'm not sure how fastmoving the Rp's are here. I just don't want to be intrusive clumsy, stupid or ignorant. And what I'm doing seems to work...have any of you even heard of me???
I'm not your regular anime fan either, as not many anime shows are available where I live, so I mostly keep away from subjects relating to animes I don't have a clue about. I prefer to draw my own, original characters, which I don't normally post, becaue everyone elses is always better than mine. stupid reason, I know, but let me finish.
I wouldn't mind being more in the society, but I'm afraid I'll screw it up, like I already have with life.
[B]Real life.[/B]
Well, I've changed so much, I don't know what I am any more. Lost, definately.
When I was 4, I was the nicest little girl ever. I was clever, a goodiegood, and was so polite. Then I realised that other kids hate that, so I changed, remaining the same, but absolutely insecure. Stupid change really. I just wanted to be accepted by everyone. Not that that helped. If I didn't know what someone was talking about, I would start bawling, because I felt so unacceptable. It also had something to do with my pride in being brainy.
Then, somehow, I became feisty, but I still remained clever, a goodiegood, polite (to adults) and insecure. Blah. Don't ask me how it works.
I then became a little more confident in myself, cried a lot less etc. But I still didn't trust myself. I lost some of my goodiegood qualities, and became a smartarse to my peers, and adults, esp. parents. Kids now disliked me cause I was a smartarse, teachers thought I was strongly opinionated (I was only 10!) and my parents were starting to argue with me. I was beginning to get lost.
I kept changing. Oddly, I haven't mentioned my 5 friends who I have known since I began school. They have always been my friends. Never have I been separated from them. In total, I have known them for 9 years. Isn't that amazing? And my mother calls them "aquaintances in passing", and "not true friends". They are all brainier than me, but trust me, They are all top of the class...almost perfect. I always feel second best. We are all christians, but I don't want to be judged right now because of this. I have known about God all my life, but it never really felt special because of it. I'm still on my way. I'll get there in the end, though.
Now where was I? Oh yess. Well from there, I matured, but remained the same, which makes me feel kind of immature. I spent the next 4 years in a dream. Now I keep arguing with my parents, which is starting to impact on me right now. Dammit. Stress from school is getting to me, and stress from being second best. I am one of those highly competitive people. I anger so easily.I'm passive when rebuked, but I am highly opinionated. I'm a goodiegood, but I'm a smartarse as well. I am annoying, cause I am always so tired, and say stupid things in high pitched voices to try fit in. I don't know why I bother. I'm still insecure, but I know what I'm supposed to do. I just don't know if I can do it. See what I am? I'm lost. Do you know how hard it is to get a bird's eye view of your life while living it at the same time??? Half of the things I've typed don't affect me like it sounds. I'm just not quite sure about anything at the moment.
Thanks for bothering to skimread this, it was a sort of ventage. Cyas round ;)

Guest Crimson Spider
I pretty much act the same I do offline as I do online, down to the arrogance, loquaciousness, and bad grammer. Some of the principals are the same as

A) People seek me for help on multiple things.
B) People feel free to laugh and joke with me (other boards)
C) Pretty much everyone knows me from somewhere or something.
D)Stick out like a sore thumb.

Some things that are different in real life include.

A)More of a geek.
B)People consider me an excellent debator.
C)Cannot talk as long as I would due to severe lung problems.

And just take the opposite of that, and you have of what people see of me online.

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][b]Offline[/b]: Average guy. I used to be pretty well much a loner- I had 3-4 friends and that was it. I got on decently with everyone, but didn't really call them 'friends'. Now, I have broadened my horizons markedly, and am generally well-liked by everyone. Getting out there is what you need to do, and I did it and feel great about it.

[b]Online[/b]: I don't know. I would like to think I am reasonably popular and well-liked, but I don't know what other people [i]really[/i] think of me. Feel free to comment, if you so wish. I'd love an ego-boost.

>_> Provided that is, you have [b]good[/b] news for me. Heh.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=darkviolet]This is a really interesting topic. And a great idea.

[b][u]On Line[/u][/b]
Well, I'm probably as liked and disliked as I am in the real world. I probably annoy everyone a little each day, but still sound intelligent enough to be tolerated.

However, online it's easier for me to finish sentances when I'm typing since sometimes my brain and my mouth don't want to to work as a team and I stutter. Also, I have Some kind of social anxiety and since I'm preggers, I can't take my pill for that so I have trouble speaking to new people and get really freaked out. It's easier for me to talk to people on line.

[b][u]off Line[/u][/b]
Let's see, I have a few close friends who I can tell anything to-including about am/pm sickness and other things you guys don't want to know about.

I'm as much of an individual in the real world as I am on here, and I lvoe to debate and argue with whomever. I also tend to cuss which I can't do on here and my family is trying to cure me of. I think I can blame my husband for that problem.

I like to help people out and give advice like i try on here, even if it's just silly things, like why you shouldn't name your child Scout or Sushi. Just like I do here. So basically, I'm still me, just a bit more insane than usual.

Okay, so I bored everyone to death again, but I [i]did[/i] remember to space my paragraphs! Can I get a boo-ya?[/color]

[size=1][color=#800000]It's really difficult to sum up your personality/place in the world with only a few words. So whatever I put down is obviously only a fraction of reality, in total. [/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#800000]I guess I'm like a car. The keys are always in the ignition and if you fuel me up, I'll take you where you want to go.... now for the more serious answer =P[/color][/size]

[b][size=1][color=#800000]Offline[/color][/size][/b]

[size=1][color=#800000]I guess I'm a drifter, in the sense that I never belonged to a single "clique". Maybe I'm approachable, or people see some quality in me that can be applied in multiple groups. [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#800000]Being polite, friendly and open never did me any harm *shrug*[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#800000][size=1]There is a level of reservation and I keep on guard[/size] [size=1]([font=TIMES NEW ROMAN]unconsciously sometimes[/font]), so it's only with people that I feel completely comfortable around that I let go of the reigns and share myself with . [/size][/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#800000]I might appear stand-offish to some, who knows. But for the most part, I'd say I'm "an easy target for communication and socialization" *lol* Looking sweet, childish and innocent seems to score with a lot of people 0:][/color][/size]

[b][size=1][color=#800000]Online[/color][/size][/b]

[size=1][color=#800000]Bye-bye inhibition *lol* [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#800000]I think it's the fact that one can walk away so easily from this place, that makes it feel safer than "the real world". [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#800000]So I'm [i]very[/i] open online, [i]even more[/i] approachable, etc.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#800000]I can never say for sure how people percieve me, but I would hope that they view me as being friendly and available. Maybe I come off as more ditzy online, though that doesn't bother me. There's enough time to be both serious and playful ^_^[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#800000]- Mimmi[/color][/size]

[color=darkred][size=1][quote=Mimmi][b]Looking[/b] sweet, childish and innocent seems to score with a lot of people 0:]
[/quote]

That needed a quote.

Question=How could a pant-stealing, cheeky girl like Mimmi be applied to this delightful sounding persona?

Answer= She just [b]looks[/b] innocent and sweet.[/size][/color]

Hey, Chibi, BOO-YA!

Anyway...yeah, social classes and where we fit in them. Hummmm.

Offline--I happen to be very sarcastic, insulting, and cynical. Yet, through some weird twist of fate, EVERYONE knows my name! Funny thing, though, I don't remember any of their names, heh. I suffer a mild popularity; I didn't want it, but got it anyway. I read big books, I have a vocabulary that contains multiple 20-point words, and I have the Snake Eye down perfectly. But all my efforts are wasted. My put-downs are taken as jokes, and those miserable people come back for second helpings! *Sigh*

Online--This is the only board I belong to, due entirely to the fact that there are strict rules governing how the users behave. The folks who frequent OB probably don't know who I am. No one knows how nice that is. However, having a buddy or two wouldn't kill me (I think).

Online or Offline, I behave in a consistent manner. I don't burden others with tales of my poor, retched self. I make my opinions known, and don't especially care if they make waves or not.

I'm just a fun, happy, and lovable person to hang out with. Heh.

hmm...offline I think I am in a part of society that should be respected (teachers) but I am somewhat misunderstood and looked down on by some of my colleagues b/c of my age and my policy of not treating children like they are inferior to adults. Online I think I tend to be more bold and say things I wouldn't normally which may have gotten me off to a bad start with certain people around here. I had pretty much decided to steer clear of any thread that wasn't directly anime or manga related but maybe this will help me out a little. :wigout: