OtakuBoards

School testing.

Twilight

[i]Not so young grasshopper...[/i]

[color=firebrick] ......[/color]

[i]...if everything were based in fact where would new ideas come from? I'm not saying I can't defend myself, I find it unnecessary when I'm not really trying to accomplish anything. I come here for entertainment not drama.[/i]

[color=firebrick] If you're trying to be apathetic here, you wouldn't have posted in the first place. You know what, you [i]can't[/i] defend youself. If your 'ideas' ever come true, I swear the world has certinaly gone off the deep end. You say the most random things and then tell us you're not going to debate your ideals, and then say that you're looking for entertainment? How does possibly have [i]any[/i] relevence with what we're talking about?[/color]

[i]Of course, there are advantages to apathy. You can't make me mad, just make me think which is a welcome change.[/i]

[color=firebrick] For a teacher, you have bad grammar. I have no idea what you just said.[/color]

[i]Adults are so dreary & while I love my fifth graders for their purity you high school kids have so much more passion. [/i]

[color=firebrick]1.) I'm not in high school.
2.)You're an adult. Sorry.
3.) Fifth graders don't have purity anymore.[/color]

[i]No darling, Lenin was a social revolutionary. He did things. And in case you haven't been paying attention I've clearly stated that none of you are in any danger of being (mis)educated because of me. Entertain some ideas of anarchy for a change. You know where I got them? My 74 year old Educational Theory professor during my Masters' degree. Don't knock it till ya tried it.[/i]

[color=firebrick] Do you seriously think we're afraid of being miseducated by you? I'm afraid for your [probably nonexistant] fifth graders. Or maybe we won't entertain ideas of anarchy and read some utopian books for a change.[/color]

[i]To you dear reader I say herein lies the root of the problem. Teachers are people like everyone else. My mom's students used to freak out when they saw her in the grocery store b/c they didn't even realize she ever left the school. Did you know that in Colonial America teachers weren't even alliowed to get married? They were practically like nuns! I don't know what your teachers have been like but all the ones I work with think of it as just a job. [/i]

[color=firebrick]We're not idiots. [/color]

[quote name='maladjusted'] I won't give you a break because you're 24. You're a freaking teacher. [/color][/quote]

To you dear reader I say herein lies the root of the problem. Teachers are people like everyone else. My mom's students used to freak out when they saw her in the grocery store b/c they didn't even realize she ever left the school. Did you know that in Colonial America teachers weren't even alliowed to get married? They were practically like nuns! I don't know what your teachers have been like but all the ones I work with think of it as just a job. :smirk:

[COLOR=DarkRed]It's nice that you know all this information, but it's irrevalent to the situation. The fact that students freak out at seeing you outside school came with the job description. You should have known that before becoming a teacher. If you did, then you should handle it like an adult. The point is that reworking the educational system will deprive students of an education and you should be slapped for thinking that. How you got to be a teacher is anyone's guess. Obviously, making you think is a foreign policy to you. [/COLOR]

Oh how I love making people think! Sorry if I got your birth year wrong...I only glanced at it along with a few others. Well, I think I'm done with this topic for today. In fact I am an adult with adult responsibilities like lesson plans, papers to grade, clothes to wash and dinner to cook. Don't let my Sora-like ways torment you too much tonight! :p

[quote name='sailor firestar']Not so young grasshopper, if everything were based in fact where would new ideas come from?[/quote]

[color=green]New ideas come from reanalyzing information and drawing better, more insightful conclusions based on that information.[/color]

[quote name='sailor firestar']I'm not saying I can't defend myself, I find it unnecessary when I'm not really trying to accomplish anything.[/quote]

[color=green]You?re not trying to acomplish anything here? It looks to me like you?re trying to defend your ideas.[/color]

[quote name='sailor firestar']Of course, there are advantages to apathy. You can't make me mad, just make me think which is a welcome change.[/quote]

[color=green]I?m not trying to infuriate you. I?m trying to make you see reason.

Your mindset, from what you?ve shown us here, isn?t conducive to successful teaching. The educational plan you presented us is full of illogic. It worries me that a teacher would act apathetically and have incoherent educational plans?[/color]

[quote name='sailor firestar']Adults are so dreary & while I love my fifth graders for their purity you high school kids have so much more passion. :smirk:[/quote]

[color=green]I?m glad you appreciate our passion.

As for adults, classifying the majority of people as dreary is rather odd. Every person I?ve ever met is interesting in some way or another. I may not like them or respect them, but they are interesting nevertheless.[/color]

[center]--- --- --- --- --- ---[/center]

[quote name='sailor firestar']Teachers are people like everyone else.[/quote]

[color=green]No, they aren?t. Teachers are the people in society whom we trust our most valued resource, children, too. Therefore, teachers need to be people that we can trust implicitly.

Teachers are often role models who students, especially younger ones, aspire to be like. Every action they take and every word they speak may be mimicked by a child. They should take great care in their actions both inside of and outside of the classroom.[/color]

[quote name='sailor firestar']My mom's students used to freak out when they saw her in the grocery store b/c they didn't even realize she ever left the school.[/quote]

[color=green]Then those kids must have been either too young to realize that teachers have lives outside of school, or have been incredibly stupid. I?d wager that the source of their reaction was based in the fact that your mom was their teacher. After all, most people aren?t exactly thrilled to see their teachers outside of a classroom. It?s rather awkward.[/color]

[quote name='sailor firestar']I don't know what your teachers have been like but all the ones I work with think of it as just a job.[/quote]

[color=green]See my above response.[/color]

Test-taking is just a form of problem-solving, and life is full of problems. I don't see that being able to handle a test is far abstracted from everything else in life. Out in the real world there are still tests, even if they are as simple as "OK, you should be able to do this yourself now." Lots of people wind up going back to school even after they graduate from whatever level and go to work. Test taking is something people are asked to do over and over again.

The solution is to learn test-taking. There are many methods that can be applied to any test, any time. There are strategies that can be applied to multiple-choice tests and so on. These skills can be learned and taught.

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]Well, this topic sure has shifted. *raises eyebrows*

Well, Boba, it seems that we finally agree on [I]something[/I]: the two scariest things on Earth are not weapons, nor are they diseases. They are the undedicated doctor and teacher. You shouldn't have to think long about why.

And, quite frankly, I think many of my teachers do a very good job of what they do. Students can tell when a teacher isn't serious about teaching, doesn't understand what they're doing, or simply thinks of it as a job. The result? The students end up thinking, "Well, what I do doesn't matter: the teacher doesn't care."

Teachers are handed a huge amount of responsibility, and, according to all the effective teachers I have ever had, "Every good teacher works very hard. In accordance to this, I take my job very seriously: I don't plan on having a gaggle of maleducated young adults blowing up the Earth in ten years because I didn't teach them their math/science/whatever properly."[/FONT]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]