OtakuBoards

Best Cooperative Military/War Game

superfreak07

I have one cooperative war game. By cooperative I mean you have a group of people helping you, friends or computer. Halo is one great game. So is Rainbow Six 3. There are a lot of great games like that out there. SOCOM I and II are awsome. What I would like to know is what games do you enjoy playing with friends or in your alone time. Do you play them online?

I like games with stealth needed. So to make it clear these are my exact questions:

[B]1. [/B] What is your favorite cooperative war/military game?

[B]2. [/B] Do you play it online?

[B]3. [/B] Would you recomend it to someone else?

[B]4. [/B] Does it involve stealth or is it just a run around shoot-em up game?

I want to know this becuase I really want a new war game. And I thought it be best that I ask the people what they recomend.

Battlefield 1942... the only name you need to know bro. (hey, that rhymed...)

Yes, that's my favorite, yes you play it online, I would DEFINATELY recomend it, and it does involve sniping, wich I suppose counts as stealth...

If you don't mind, here's some other crap about it...

heh, it's the newest (besides all the MOH games, but that's a series) and most realistic (by far) war game to date. At least that I've heard of... anyway, as you could have guessed, it's a WW2 game. At the start of each battle, you choose wether you are Axis or Ally. Ally: USA, Britain, Soviet. Axis: Germany, Japan. Then you choose what type of solder you are... Assault: Assualt rifle, pistol, grenades, knife. Scout: Sniper rifle, pistol, grenades, knife, binoculars. Medic:Sub-Machine gun, pistol, knife, grenades, med-kit. Mechanic: Rifle, pistol, knife, grenades, land mines, remote explosives, wrench(for repairing vehicles) I think I got em all... well, I've said enough... bye bye.

• 2 weeks later...
I would have to say that the best coop military game is the almight HALO. That game is astounding how well it has gone, and its just so much fun to ambush little tiny aliens from two sides with one of your buddies. Another awesome thing about it is the Warthog. I t supercool how you can drive it over everybody while your friend guns down everyone else. So Id have to say its HALO without a doubt. :love:

The best Co-Op military FPS is definatly BF 1942. While I personally prefer Counter-Strike because of the dated graphics and gameplay engine there are really just too many things that can go wrong in CS... That's kind of besides the point but the truth is in CS while if your playing against a group of good players Teamwork is needed you can stilll find a way to get by without it if you have a "super 1337" player on your team :P. Also the amount of teamwork you use is somewhat limited because of the limited terrain in Counter-Strike. "Everyone Rush Right", "Cover Me" and a few more familiar phrases are all your really going to hear. Never the less it's a great game that will keep you entertained for months x__X.

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]WHAT?!? Halo is NOT the best Military game out there. . far from it. It's an interesting FPS for sure, but it's story was too boring in my opinion, and the gameplay was also pretty weak. It's only strong point comes in the fact that it's Multi-player allows for so many people at one time. . There are far too many other games out there that take the cake with the Best Co-Op Military Game. .

Maybe Halo 2 will be a little stronger with story and gameplay. . I don't hate Halo, I just don't think it should get as high of ranks as you guys are giving it. . It's definitely a system seller for the X-Box though. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

I would have to say Medal of Honour Allied Assault.
I can't play it on the internet because my internet is crap ,thats why.
I recommend it for everyone who likes war games. It can involve stealth depending on how you like to fight.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
While it was not as complex or involving as some of the more tactical or team-oriented shooters out there, I'd have to say that Halo did have the most intense and fun co-op mode I've played. As simple as it is, there's nothing more fun than trying to get your slaughtered teammate to respawn by blowing away 30 or 40 of those head-exploding stumbling Flood bastards with a shotgun at point-blank range. Oh yeah, and taking turns doing suicide runs at a tank. That's good fun too. I'm hoping Halo 2 stays away from the repetitive levels, though. That's really the worst part about the original.

EDIT: since you wanted recommendations, I undestand that Doom 3 for X-Box will have a co-op mode. Isn't that freaking sweet? I'm going insane over it. If there's anything more fun than playing that game in the dark it's gotta be playing it in the dark with a friend. Preferably a hot chick friend who is good at FPSs but easily frightened.

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']While it was not as complex or involving as some of the more tactical or team-oriented shooters out there, I'd have to say that Halo did have the most intense and fun co-op mode I've played. As simple as it is, there's nothing more fun than trying to get your slaughtered teammate to respawn by blowing away 30 or 40 of those head-exploding stumbling Flood bastards with a shotgun at point-blank range. Oh yeah, and taking turns doing suicide runs at a tank. That's good fun too. I'm hoping Halo 2 stays away from the repetitive levels, though. That's really the worst part about the original.[/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred] :bash: Most intense? . . running back to a spawnpoint?. . that doesn't make for a fun or challenging or even intense. . it makes it easy!! And easy isn't a good thing. . I prefer the games where if you die. . you are dead! Don't get me wrong, the levels in Halo had enough aliens to kill players multiple times over. . however, your suicide runs take a bit of the intensity away from the game also. .

A great co-op game in my opinion was Time Splitters 2. . My friend Erick and I played that game a very long time, and really enjoyed it. Decent amount of challenge, and with the level change, came a change in characters/weapons/objectives. . some of the levels were really challenging! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']EDIT: since you wanted recommendations, I undestand that Doom 3 for X-Box will have a co-op mode. Isn't that freaking sweet? I'm going insane over it. If there's anything more fun than playing that game in the dark it's gotta be playing it in the dark with a friend. Preferably a hot chick friend who is good at FPSs but easily frightened.[/quote]
IMHO, I believe that the single player experience in the Doom 3 style of game would be easier to get scared in (as games like these are always scarier when you're by yourself), and that seems to be a big premise of the game. Although, I agree that co-op with a hot chick friend who is good at FPSs but easily frightened would top that easily!

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[QUOTE=NorykoAngelcry][SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred] :bash: Most intense? . . running back to a spawnpoint?. . that doesn't make for a fun or challenging or even intense. . it makes it easy!! And easy isn't a good thing. . I prefer the games where if you die. . you are dead! Don't get me wrong, the levels in Halo had enough aliens to kill players multiple times over. . however, your suicide runs take a bit of the intensity away from the game also. .

A great co-op game in my opinion was Time Splitters 2. . My friend Erick and I played that game a very long time, and really enjoyed it. Decent amount of challenge, and with the level change, came a change in characters/weapons/objectives. . some of the levels were really challenging! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Hahahaha! Time Splitters 2? Yeah it is challenging (some of the MP challenges, that is) but overall I'd have to say it's one of the worst FPSs I've ever played (it's a pathetic pretender to Goldeneye as far as I'm concerned), and I was angry at myself for purchasing it. Halo isn't all that hard (unless you're playing Legendary), but I think it was still fun. And intense doesn't necessarily mean hard. And you only run back to a spawnpoint if you make it through the onslaught, mind you. There were plenty of times in Halo where our survival was in question. If it wasn't for respawns the co-op mode would be way too frustrating at times. And it'd be even more dumb. Every time you lost your shield you'd run away and wait until it recharges or something (if you can).

Eh, why am I defending Halo I don't even care that much. Anyway my fav FPS is still Perfect Dark, followed by Goldeneye. The rest don't come close. But for co-op I'd have to say I found Halo most enjoyable. I hear that the new Bond game Everything or Nothing has a really cool co-op mode as well. I'll look into it sometime.

[color=blue]The co-op in Everything or Nothing is spectacular. It could have been released as a stand-alone title. It was [i]that good[/i]. Length would have been an issue, of course, but it was breathtaking. The stressing on actual cooperative gameplay was astounding. EoN's co-op made you work together. Getting separated from the other player meant death if you didn't have mad EoN skills. The levels are really well-designed, as well. They are co-op levels, as opposed to TS2, which is just singleplayer starring two players (that's not a bad thing, though).[/color]

[color=blue]But make no mistake, EoN will punish you for screwing up. It's very unforgiving. Enemies do major damage, and you will get shredded if you run through the levels haphazardly. For those raised on EA's Baby Bonds of the past, they're in for an awakening. Those that have stayed hardcore, however, EoN is their next Bond game, co-op or just singleplayer.[/color]

[color=blue]I don't think we can fault TS2 on a weak singleplayer. The series has always been about multiplayer, and TS2 is excellent for multi. Considering also, the vast improvements to singleplayer and co-op we got from TS1 to TS2, I think co-op is more than bearable.[/color]

[color=blue]Really, the major FPS I'm looking forward to is Doom 3. The game sounds amazing. The multi is being built on Xbox Live 2.0 or 3.0, it's going to feature offline co-op and split-screen 4-player, I think. They're really revolutionizing the series with Doom 3. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out to be mediocre. It looks to be a sure hit, though.[/color]

[quote name='Ashura']IMHO, I believe that the single player experience in the Doom 3 style of game would be easier to get scared in (as games like these are always scarier when you're by yourself), and that seems to be a big premise of the game. Although, I agree that co-op with a hot chick friend who is good at FPSs but easily frightened would top that easily![/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]ROFLS. . I need to find myself a few of those types of women. . I got the few that are easily frightened, but sadly, none that are willing to play any video games -_- [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=ScirosDarkblade]Hahahaha! Time Splitters 2? Yeah it is challenging (some of the MP challenges, that is) but overall I'd have to say it's one of the worst FPSs I've ever played (it's a pathetic pretender to Goldeneye as far as I'm concerned), and I was angry at myself for purchasing it. Halo isn't all that hard (unless you're playing Legendary), but I think it was still fun. And intense doesn't necessarily mean hard. And you only run back to a spawnpoint if you make it through the onslaught, mind you. There were plenty of times in Halo where our survival was in question. If it wasn't for respawns the co-op mode would be way too frustrating at times. And it'd be even more dumb. Every time you lost your shield you'd run away and wait until it recharges or something (if you can).

Eh, why am I defending Halo I don't even care that much. Anyway my fav FPS is still Perfect Dark, followed by Goldeneye. The rest don't come close. But for co-op I'd have to say I found Halo most enjoyable. I hear that the new Bond game Everything or Nothing has a really cool co-op mode as well. I'll look into it sometime.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]What's wrong with Time Splitters 2? Sure, playing multiplayer wasn't the best, but you could add bots that weren't so bad, yet far from a pushover. . I wouldn't say it's a pathetic pretender to Goldeneye, just couldn't reach to the plateau that Goldeneye did. The best thing about the co-op version of Team Splitters was that it required both players to have a head on them. Sure, some of the levels could easily be owned by just one player, with the other just sitting still the whole time, but some of the levels required stealth, and a bit of strategy (I remember some levels where my friend would sneak through long hallways, and I would snipe everyone from a distance -- he could get away without having to fire a shot in different parts). I think the co-op in Halo just makes it too easy. There are parts where you don't get a chance to run back and respawn, and parts where you had to just hold down that fire button, and hope for the best. . but overall, one player could easily carry the other through the entire way.

I am not really trying to criticize you ScirosDarkblade. . merely pointing out a lot of the problems with Halo ^_^ And I do think we have come to an almost agreement -- I think that Goldeneye is one of the best FPS out there, followed closely by Perfect Dark (I think I am one of the only ones that see it that way though. . ) My friend Jay is just like you though. . He loves Perfect Dark first, and then Goldeneye. lol As for Halo. . great multi-player game (up to 16. . that just rocks!) As for Everything or Nothing. . from the demos, I just wasn't impressed too much, but I am tempted by the co-op just to get to hang out with some of my friends in an in-game atmosphere. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[QUOTE=NorykoAngelcry][SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]
I am not really trying to criticize you ScirosDarkblade. . merely pointing out a lot of the problems with Halo ^_^ And I do think we have come to an almost agreement -- I think that Goldeneye is one of the best FPS out there, followed closely by Perfect Dark (I think I am one of the only ones that see it that way though. . ) My friend Jay is just like you though. . He loves Perfect Dark first, and then Goldeneye. lol As for Halo. . great multi-player game (up to 16. . that just rocks!)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Har. Yeah we're not really arguing here or anything. Actually Halo has sooooo many more problems (in my opinion) than what we've mentioned that it's just ridiculous. I have an X-box and I don't even own the game. I've just played through the co-op mode at my cousin's house about 2.5 times through and multiplayer for about 15 hrs total or so. But because Halo has no bots, the MP mode is total crap unless you have AT LEAST 4 people (for 2 v 2 or something). But we never hooked up X-boxes or anything, so my Halo MP experience is not very memorable. Plus I was bored by the "standard" weapon lineup (pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, plasma assault rifle, sniper rifle, rocket launcher, grenades ... I guess there's the needler but still), the lack of music (in MP), and the fact that every Halo player looked the same. It's the complete lack of customization that I dislike in Halo. And that's why I really like Perfect Dark -- it's so customizeable. My brother and I have made really really awesome one-hit-kill smart-slomo scenarios where we'd use pistols/crossbows and take on like 5 or 6 dark sims at once. Now THAT's intense.

[color=indigo]With the exception of Goldeneye (on of the best multi-player games ever!), I would have to say that Contra is my favorite cooperative war game. Some of my fondest memories include me and my buddy trying over and over again to beat the game with only three lives...I think we did it once. Man was that a hard game...[/color]

Guest Leiryc
I would have to say that a good stealth and multiplayer game would have to be AA (America's Army.) It is completely free and requires a lot of teamwork. If you are reckless, you will die, unlike the situations in games like Counter-Strike and Halo. Also, instead of buying or picking up weapons, you have ot pass tests to gain certain positions, like sniper. Also, you can enter new levels by passing tests. All of the levels are online, so don't expect too much of a story line, and you won't be able to play online immediately because of the training courses that you have to pass, but from there on the game will be awesome! Another thing, if you lke having a score, you get a permanent one. It is called your honor. The more kills you get, the more honor you have. You can go to [U]www.americasarmy.com[/U] to get the download (since it is free.) The latest version is 2.0a. This is only my second post so ask me questions about what I missed in this particular post and any mistakes I have made.